Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-31-2016, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
That's why I called them after Brown signed the bills. They said they where very aware of the issue, and would prioritize the California customers. "no problem" for December 31st.

I hope my early order and the fact that they charged my card in January will put me on top of the list.
Hope you get it. I'd like to see how it looks and works. Pete
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 07-31-2016, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

I really want this to be a success, it is a really cool idea, and looks great.

With that being said, can anyone think of a reason why there is no video of a functioning rifle at this point other than "It doesn't work"?
Old 07-31-2016, 7:04 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
I really want this to be a success, it is a really cool idea, and looks great.

With that being said, can anyone think of a reason why there is no video of a functioning rifle at this point other than "It doesn't work"?
Yeah, that's a good point. I know manufacturing and it might be a case where parts that are integral to the function of the rifle have been on order for along time and there is a QC or serious issue with them and this is what's holding the whole line up. It could also be a safety issue that became apparent very late in the game, etc.

Normally I would not have any problems but the California timeline is going to be extremely difficult. I figure wait until December, I am sure they will give me a refund if I ask. They have a good reputation and they pick of the phone anytime so there is no reason to doubt them.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
They don't even have a working prototype that I have seen in one caliber, let alone 4. I've been around the block a few times with stuff like this. They will need at least 3-6 months of testing/adjusting before even tooling up for production, which takes months as well.
Two words: "Robinson Armament".

Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
Featureless ruins the whole purpose of how the STGW44 looks and works. That isn't going to happen. Pete
Agree. I would only get it now, featureless, to have it in hand prior to some new Clinton AW ban on a national scale. Keep in mind any such ban won't ban ownership; no way to enforce. But it would likely prohibit new manufacture as the 1994-2004 Clinton ban did.

I'm not staying in CA forever; 2 years, 3 years max. I'll keep my properties here, but CA will be a vacation destination at best (but I wouldn't want to live here).

Old 08-01-2016, 9:22 PM

I talked to them and have done all the research I can on it. It looks like a solid platform so I ordered one. It's something different besides the usual AR or AK.
Old 11-09-2016, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

the time is getting closer. lol

Rock out with your Glock out
Old 11-10-2016, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

I really hoped they'd have a reliable product out by year end but it's not looking hopeful. Oh well, maybe when I retire to a free state they'll be readily available with all the bugs ironed out.
Old 11-10-2016, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I really hoped they'd have a reliable product out by year end but it's not looking hopeful. Oh well, maybe when I retire to a free state they'll be readily available with all the bugs ironed out.
They just started shipping the CETME-L rifles they took payment on 2 years ago and those are MUCH simpler than an STG.
Old 11-10-2016, 9:26 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Yeah, the actually claimed they'd be shipping by JUNE! Yeah right. Still haven't seen one shoot, much less full scale production. These will likely not hit the market before CA shuts down semi-auto center fire rifles.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
They just started shipping the CETME-L rifles they took payment on 2 years ago and those are MUCH simpler than an STG.
Heh, well it's a good thing my retirement is still decades away.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
Hope you get it. I'd like to see how it looks and works. Pete
I placed my order in June. I was PROMISED I would have them by September. Sept came and went...so I called in October. I was PROMISED I would have them right after Thanksgiving. Came and went. I just got a call today saying "Yeah, there's no way we'll have them in time". Didn't sound very sorry about it but were kind enough to offer me my money back. Thank God I put them on a credit card and have been paying interest on them for the better part of 7 months. This company is a JOKE.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:45 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I got 2 of the 100 cetme guns 2 weeks ago. I'm not expecting any of my STG44 order to ship.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 12-07-2016, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Let me make my shocked face.

Old 12-07-2016, 1:46 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmans_Arms_Gabe View Post
I placed my order in June. I was PROMISED I would have them by September. Sept came and went...so I called in October. I was PROMISED I would have them right after Thanksgiving. Came and went. I just got a call today saying "Yeah, there's no way we'll have them in time". Didn't sound very sorry about it but were kind enough to offer me my money back. Thank God I put them on a credit card and have been paying interest on them for the better part of 7 months. This company is a JOKE.
Yeah, sadly you look like Linus waiting for the great pumpkin to arrive. We all KNEW this little company from nowhere was NOT going to produce a working STG44 in 4 different calibers in one year (or ever) unfortunately.
Old 12-08-2016, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmans_Arms_Gabe View Post
At least you kept your money. Sorry to here it didn't turn out.
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

Old 12-08-2016, 9:08 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Update on the HMG situation. I bought my STG-44 in January of 2016 and got a call from HMG on Monday that they cannot deliver a full rifle to California customers by the December 21st deadline. They offered to send a serialized bare receiver to me by the deadline so it can be Dros'd. They where very professional and honest about what was happening and they are obviously veru aware of the situation in CA and the effort to get us our rifles. Remember that no one could have predicted the new CA laws.

After I DROS my receiver I will send it back to HMG to have them complete it. I'll include some pics when I get it.

For those that are angry at the situation, I would suggest putting on some big boy pants and realizing that they are doing what they can and this is not some giant company putting out another meaningless consumer product. They are very professional and conscientious. They helped me build my CETME-L and it looks like they will make good on getting me a rifle by the deadline, albeit not complete.

It's an ambitious project and the quality of the parts and customer service has been very good so I am fully capable of cutting them some slack.
Old 12-08-2016, 9:22 AM

Quote:
They offered to send a serialized bare receiver to me by the deadline so it can be Dros'd. They where very professional and honest about what was happening and they are obviously veru aware of the situation in CA and the effort to get us our rifles. Remember that no one could have predicted the new CA laws.

After I DROS my receiver I will send it back to HMG to have them complete it.
I've done that on occasion (the occasions mostly arose from Feinstein running her big fat mouth, making me think "CA import ban") but that was without the looming deadlines we have now. I'm not sure if registering a receiver will qualify as registering a firearm in assault rifle configuration in 2016 (this is what the law requires). I'm also not sure if in 2017 you can ship an assault rifle directly from a manufacturer (even if it was just a repair of a pre 2017 firearm) directly to your doorstep like we used to or if an FFL has to get involved. If the receiver was DROS'd in 2016 but the rifle itself was completed in 2017 in assault rifle configuration, you may have a problem bringing it into CA, especially if an FFL gets involved. You might want to look into this and I hope I'm wrong.
Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. -1984
Old 12-08-2016, 9:28 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
If the receiver was DROS'd in 2016 but the rifle itself was completed in 2017 in assault rifle configuration, you may have a problem bringing it into CA, especially if an FFL gets involved. You might want to look into this and I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah that's a big possibility but without any DOJ regs its also a huge gray area. Hopefully I will be able to mock something up to get it to the state where I can go RAW with it. If not, it might need to have a blocked off mag release and become a top loader or something in that ilk.

I build so maybe there is also the possibility to keep the receiver and complete the rifle myself. I'll keep people posted of the progress and the solutions.
Old 12-08-2016, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
For those that are angry at the situation, I would suggest putting on some big boy pants and realizing that they are doing what they can and this is not some giant company putting out another meaningless consumer product. They are very professional and conscientious. They helped me build my CETME-L and it looks like they will make good on getting me a rifle by the deadline, albeit not complete.

It's an ambitious project and the quality of the parts and customer service has been very good so I am fully capable of cutting them some slack.
The question I have is, do they actually have a product? I have yet to see a video of one in the wild that actually shoots. There are a lot of videos showing the rifle, and lots of talk, and willingness to take money from buyers, but none of an actual working gun.

This is becoming the Duke Nukem Forever of firearms.
Old 12-08-2016, 9:39 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

I don't think they have any completed rifles at this point. The receiver I am supposed to get is a bent bare receiver, I'll post pics when I get it.

Every one of these special builds by small companies in my experience over the last 15 years has always taken much longer than expected. It's a small company not some monolith that has prepared everything perfectly. That said I can personally attest the the amazing quality of the parts they produce, the CETME-L receiver and weldment set I got are impeccable. They are also always willing to talk on the phone.

I remember another repro German WW2 rifle taking literally 3 years longer than projected a few years back, and that was for a $5000 rifle. That company had huge problems with reliability.

Keep hope alive!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think they have any completed rifles at this point. The receiver I am supposed to get is a bent bare receiver, I'll post pics when I get it.

Every one of these special builds by small companies in my experience over the last 15 years has always taken much longer than expected. It's a small company not some monolith that has prepared everything perfectly. That said I can personally attest the the amazing quality of the parts they produce, the CETME-L receiver and weldment set I got are impeccable. They are also always willing to talk on the phone.

I remember another repro German WW2 rifle taking literally 3 years longer than projected a few years back, and that was for a $5000 rifle. That company had huge problems with reliability.

Keep hope alive!
I understand that, what I have a problem with is they hyping it for the last year, and taking money from customers before they have a working product.

The InRange TV videos announcing pricing were posted in November of last year. There are several videos from the Shot show and others hyping it, and so far there doesn't seem to be a functioning prototype, at least no video of a firing rifle I can find.

I see from this thread, you ordered yours in January, did they take your money at that time?

I really hope they make this work, but I am even more skeptical at this point than I was a year ago.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post

I see from this thread, you ordered yours in January, did they take your money at that time?
Yes, it was charged at the purchase, full price.
Old 12-08-2016, 2:19 PM
Veteran Member

I feel kinda glad I've decided to wait until these guns are actually in production and for sale before pulling the trigger. Heard too many stories of pre-orders charging full price only to never be delivered without significant delays.
Old 12-08-2016, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

OK, doing some further digging, I found on their facebook page, 2 videos. One (from 10 months ago) is a slow motion closeup of a rifle firing once. One, from August is a rifle described as the .223 version firing three times semi auto.

So better than nothing at all, but not by much. Not inspiring much confidence.
Old 12-08-2016, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I am one of those that paid for one of their rifles back on January 5th of last year. Originally the ship date was June, then July/August, then October, then late November. I called them a few weeks ago to check on the November ship date and was told that they were shipping Commiefornia guns first and I should have mine by early January.

Well, enough is enough and I asked for my money back and received a full refund with no arguing or issues. I still want one, but I am now going to wait until I see them for sale on retailers shelves.

I hope they pull it off and produce a good product and it is a success.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 12-08-2016, 7:59 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

If you are outside the California bubble of pain then I would not worry at all, a company that is off by 6 months on a delivery on a project of this size does not even phase me. You got to understand this is an enthusiast run small company made of people like us. It's not capable of producing a flawless "Best Buy" experience.

They are always available to talk and they care, it's enough for me to work with them. The CETME-L's are hitting the streets and they look amazing, check out MAC's latest videos. My home build is sweet, and to me there are a ton of signs the STG will be as good. The intricacy of the stamped metal parts, which is 90% of the success of an STG, looks exquisite on the CETME-L receiver. I've built many HK flats in the last 15 years, and not even the latest and greatest really compared to the Cetme-L flats HMG produces.
Old 12-19-2016, 4:54 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quick update, I received the HMG shipment today and had some time to snap a few quick pics before it went into the DROS.

The receiver is a bare bent flat and it's very nice. The quality of the flat is on par with the Cetme-L flats they produced- very sharp and tight with no signs of metal fatique at the critical bend areas. Most detail work is laser cut and looks to be of the highest quality. I am no STG expert but the flat seems to be a little less than 1mm thick chrome-moly, probably 4130 or 4140.

The bending is very nice, and I pushed the two halves together to see if they matched up and they are perfect.

I know they offered either a refund or a receiver to CA customers and I am glad I went with the latter.

Now the dilemma: HMG offered to have the receiver sent back to them to have it completed and then sent to me sometime next year. When they send it back it looks like it will have to be featureless and cannot go RAW according to my interpretation of the new laws. Either featureless or a top loader.

The other option is for me to keep it and build it myself with parts they send. This way I could assemble it into a rifle before the 1st and possibly go RAW with it next year when the reg period opens. I have built many HK's and did a Cetme-L recently so this is childs play although I am in the dark as to how it actually goes together in terms of welds, etc.

What do you think?

Old 12-19-2016, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

I like it!

Old 12-19-2016, 5:35 PM

That receiver is very nice. I hope you end up with a primo rifle.
Old 12-19-2016, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Last I heard the company is having problems with the bolts. Guns just won't run right. Given more time they may overcome this obstacle.
Old 12-19-2016, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

That's great that sent you the receiver like they promised. Hopefully you can complete the build yourself once you get the parts.
Old 12-20-2016, 5:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quick update, I received the HMG shipment today and had some time to snap a few quick pics before it went into the DROS.

The receiver is a bare bent flat and it's very nice. The quality of the flat is on par with the Cetme-L flats they produced- very sharp and tight with no signs of metal fatique at the critical bend areas. Most detail work is laser cut and looks to be of the highest quality. I am no STG expert but the flat seems to be a little less than 1mm thick chrome-moly, probably 4130 or 4140.

The bending is very nice, and I pushed the two halves together to see if they matched up and they are perfect.

I know they offered either a refund or a receiver to CA customers and I am glad I went with the latter.

Now the dilemma: HMG offered to have the receiver sent back to them to have it completed and then sent to me sometime next year. When they send it back it looks like it will have to be featureless and cannot go RAW according to my interpretation of the new laws. Either featureless or a top loader.

The other option is for me to keep it and build it myself with parts they send. This way I could assemble it into a rifle before the 1st and possibly go RAW with it next year when the reg period opens. I have built many HK's and did a Cetme-L recently so this is childs play although I am in the dark as to how it actually goes together in terms of welds, etc.

What do you think?

Hey- We talked when you came in to DROS it. I really don't think they will be able to send you parts by the end of the year. I think they are still months and months away from that. The other problem I see going that way is that if the gun doesn't work they will blame you.

Honestly I would send it to them and have them build it featureless with a grip wrap assuming DOJ will hold that it must be complete by the end of the year.

On my PTR44 I have a grip wrap and its not bad at all.
Old 12-20-2016, 7:15 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:

...snip...

What do you think?
Have them build it out featureless. You can RAW it after Newsom signs the new version of SB374 a couple of years hence.

I wish I could say that I'm joking, but I think that might be the smartest way for you to go about this.

-- Michael
Old 12-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hey- We talked when you came in to DROS it.
I don't think that was me, I DROS'd it at South City Pawn in SSF. I think everyone in CA got their receivers at the same time yesterday.
Old 12-20-2016, 2:28 PM

The quality of the stamping makes me sad. Why didn't HMG put the same effort into making correct copies of MP44 receivers and serve the community of MP44 rewelders/builders with blanks worth at least $500 a pop? Add another $500 for a correct trunnion and HMG could have offered $1,000 MP44 builder kits to lose sleep over. Compare that to their $1,700 lookalike that requires many more parts and much more work before becoming a rifle they can hand over to a customer. Maybe making profit is not part of their business model?
Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. -1984
Old 12-20-2016, 2:43 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
The quality of the stamping makes me sad. Why didn't HMG put the same effort into making correct copies of MP44 receivers and serve the community of MP44 rewelders/builders with blanks worth at least $500 a pop? Add another $500 for a correct trunnion and HMG could have offered $1,000 MP44 builder kits to lose sleep over. Compare that to their $1,700 lookalike that requires many more parts and much more work before becoming a rifle they can hand over to a customer. Maybe making profit is not part of their business model?
One issue was caliber interchangability. Going with 8mm kurz limits the market for these pretty severely.

Another was the fire control, they wanted to be able to use,HK G3 trigger packs. Why? Because they are inexpensive. A German firm put out exact copies years ago that PTR sold, those guns were 7500 if memory serves. Trigger pack is a nightmare for a small company because of the hardened forged parts required.

Limiting the market to just old collectors with original kits and parts was never going to yield a decent business model.
Old 01-09-2017, 6:06 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quick update, I got my receiver and am about to send it back. It will have to come back in, at some time in 2017 hopefully, as a completed featureless rifle unfortunately. Turns out solar tactical sells a grip fin made for an older PTR-44, which I think will work. If not I will 3D print my own.

MAC had some updates in the video, it's pretty good news. They are shooting and the project is proceeding.

Old 01-10-2017, 9:38 PM

Ending up cancelling my order. The fact they repeatedly told me it would be ready in time before the end of the year and then the time came it wasn't was just insulting. I'm still interested in it but I'll wait when they actually have a ready product.
Old 02-10-2017, 4:49 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Latest update, they have worked out the gas system issues. Lots of really good tech info in this inrange clip. Looks like things are rolling along.

Reverse engineering is not for the timid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez