Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pt View Post
Why would you spend money to buy a light rifle then throw that brick of a scope on it? That thing weighs a full pound. I know it's because you already have it, but it's not the right scope for that rifle. Something like a Weaver V3 would be much better. It's not going to be a bench shooter, so keep the reticle simple and the scope light.
True... I do like the Weaver 1-3x

I can save a 1/2 pound in the process and have something physically smaller as well.

The capped turrets won't get in the way as much as the open turrets and be more tamper proof.

Holds out to 300 are minimal, but even easier to zero for a good point blank range.

I might as well just sell the thing... buy the Weaver and some left over to fund the rifle.

Good recommendation!
Old 05-24-2017, 2:45 PM

Dress up your Ruger .243 with the new Magpul conversion?

https://www.magpul.com/products/fire...n-short-action
Old 05-24-2017, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

I'm currently working on something that might interest you. It's based off a Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel that comes with a factory DBM. I spoke with Manners last week and the ball is rolling for a inlet on one of their lightweight stocks. Another option is a MDT-LSS chassis that comes in right under 2lbs. I'll be using a Bartlein 2B contour barrel at 16" and the rifle should come in right around 6lbs plus or minus with precision rifle accuracy. Or if accuracy is not your main goal, the factory barrels might work for you to keep the cost down.

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!
Old 05-25-2017, 9:23 AM

I didnt see anyone mention this.. but I think Mossberg made this rifle just for you.

Look at the Mossberg MVP Patrol. The 223 model takes ar15 mags, the 308 model will use BOTH LR308/DPMS pattern mags AND m14 magazines. Sturdy synthetic stock. 16.5in barrel threaded with a flash hider installed. Has back up iron sights and is very easy to mount a scope on. Weight is a little over 6.5lbs. Based on the Mossberg 4x4 bolt action which is hella tough.

and, icing on the cake, it is pretty reasonably priced. Honestly, stop looking, this is the rifle you described OP. Oh.. and if you ever want to get fancy with it, Boyds makes wood stocks in different patterns, and Mossberg uses a barrel nut system so the barrel could be swapped out for any other caliber that fits in a 223 or 308 mag, i.e. 6.5 Grendel, .458 Socom, etc.

Last edited by jrr; 05-25-2017 at 9:26 AM..
Old 05-25-2017, 1:36 PM

My Run'n'Gun is a Rossi 92 stainless lever action with a 16" Bbl in 454 Casull w/Skinner peep sight. They also offer it in 357mag. Light weight, quick handling. Bought it from a fellow Calgunner and couldn't be happier. It was smoozed by Steves Gunz. None of the added play toys everyone thinks will make a proper R&G.... My 2
Old 05-25-2017, 2:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I wanted a light rifle in a multi-purpose caliber that I could "run" hike with over all terrain I'd get a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. It's lighter than a 10/22.
Old 05-25-2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx20mm View Post
If I wanted a light rifle in a multi-purpose caliber that I could "run" hike with over all terrain I'd get a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. It's lighter than a 10/22.
Yeah..., but the ammo is heavy... :-)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Here is what you seek. This is my Steyr Scout .223. Most fun rifle I have ever owned.

Last edited by JeffSD; 05-25-2017 at 11:06 PM..
Old 05-25-2017, 11:48 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

I was over at Spartan Rifles the other day, and he was showing me a crazy light rifle. It was built with a X-Treme short action receiver, Proof barrel, and either a Manners or McMillan stock. With glass, it could not have weighted more than seven pounds. I'll try to snap some pictures of it soon if its still there next week. Ironically, I went to talk to Marc about a .375 Cheytac, but one of those with DBM might be my next purchase.

Jerry
Old 05-26-2017, 6:45 AM

The guys at Lucky Gunner had a good video about what they referred to as "practical rifle", not a bad perspective. I'm not fond of many semi-autos or long range accuracy builds, but toss me a lever gun or bolt action carbine and I'm happy. My go to has been my M44, but I wouldn't call it light or quick.

I've always been wanted something like a peep sighted 16" barreled bolt gun that could take a detachable AK-47 type magazine.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/re...g-scout-rifle/
Old 05-30-2017, 3:37 PM

Love my CZ 527 carbine in .223
Its a little thumper with that short barrel.

Light enough to shoot off hand well.
Below is me running the bolt.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUp1aPXg...urephilm&hl=en
Old 05-30-2017, 4:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Go old school with a Remington 760 carbine and a 10 round detachable box magazine. rate of fire is second only to a semi auto. lightweight and handy but it does have a kick. Just have to lean into it when shooting!

the rifle version is very accurate but a bit unwieldy for running with.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 06-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like the OP is describing the Mossberg Patrol 5.56. I have one and even with a scope, it's pretty well balanced.

WTB cheap/used AK-Ultimak & MFER.
Old 06-03-2017, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

MVP