Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Default Cheap Prep Canned Ground Beef

https://youtu.be/vdO6QYH2AdM

Another vid

https://youtu.be/V4MDfhrN9Sw
Old 07-09-2017, 6:35 PM

Tried it, it comes out like mush, way overcooked. Plus its not approved by usds.

Better off doing on sale chuck roast with raw pack. Same price and much better.
Old 07-09-2017, 6:45 PM

I wouldn't recommend canning beef bro, do it wrong and botulism will grow inside. Eat it and it'll kill you, no thanks.
Old 07-09-2017, 8:36 PM

I've been canning ground beef for about 4 years. No problems. Got the recipe from the Ball Book, so I can't believe it's unsafe. I always brown the beef first, sometimes I pack in water, sometimes in beef broth, sometimes with taco seasoning. I tried making Manwich and canning that already made, it didn't make me sick, but it tasted funny so I don't do that any more, I just can the hamburger and mix with Manwich when I'm ready to eat it. I have stored it for a little over a year and have never had a problem.

I do it because it allows me to buy Hamburger in bulk and store it without taking up freezer space. That said, there really is no cost savings - you can buy your hamburger and store it in your freezer. If you want to put in the extra time, effort and energy involved to pressure can it that's based on your preference, but it won't save you money.

I also can chicken. I start with the Ball recipe, and then sometimes I put Frank's Red Hot in, sometimes I use water, sometimes I use chicken broth. I just used a jar of canned chicken tonight mixed in with my spaghetti sauce - it was delicous.
Old 07-09-2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I've been canning ground beef for about 4 years. No problems. Got the recipe from the Ball Book, so I can't believe it's unsafe. I always brown the beef first, sometimes I pack in water, sometimes in beef broth, sometimes with taco seasoning. I tried making Manwich and canning that already made, it didn't make me sick, but it tasted funny so I don't do that any more, I just can the hamburger and mix with Manwich when I'm ready to eat it. I have stored it for a little over a year and have never had a problem.

I do it because it allows me to buy Hamburger in bulk and store it without taking up freezer space. That said, there really is no cost savings - you can buy your hamburger and store it in your freezer. If you want to put in the extra time, effort and energy involved to pressure can it that's based on your preference, but it won't save you money.

I also can chicken. I start with the Ball recipe, and then sometimes I put Frank's Red Hot in, sometimes I use water, sometimes I use chicken broth. I just used a jar of canned chicken tonight mixed in with my spaghetti sauce - it was delicous.

How do you get around the burger turning into mush from being overcooked?
Old 07-10-2017, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
I wouldn't recommend canning beef bro, do it wrong and botulism will grow inside. Eat it and it'll kill you, no thanks.
Bro, botulism is a risk in any oxygen free\low environment thus safeguards have been developed. In meat smoking we use sodium nitrate or nitrite and in canning non-acid foods we use pressure canners. although boiling water will kill botulism causing bacteria the spores can survive. In acid foods the pH will prevent growth so pressure is not needed, in low acid foods the additional heat with pressure with kill both the bacteria and the spoors.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmor View Post
How do you get around the burger turning into mush from being overcooked?
Never had that problem? Always comes out the same consistency as ground hamburger. I do try to brown the meat a little on the rare side, I really only am trying to remove most of the fat - that may be a factor? Also when I open the jar I heat it up in a skillet before I mix with anything. I use Pint jars, I could see how the larger mass in Quart jars and the proportionally longer processing time could be a factor as well. When I make Manwich there is no difference in consistency with frozen ground beef.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've canned ground beef. Never had a problem with it being mushy.
You'll need a pressure canner.

Proceedure. http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html