Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2010, 9:02 PM
pipboy's Avatar
pipboy pipboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 608
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default Where can I get some Rocksett?

I want to do some swapping around of my muzzle devices, but i used up most of the supplied Rocksett when I did the initial installations. Anyone know if/which stores sell the stuff?

I saw some on amazon.com from the manufacturer, but I'm not too enthusiastic about paying $9 shipping for a $9 (2 oz) item.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2010, 3:04 PM
Flux Capacitor Flux Capacitor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,774
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipboy View Post
I want to do some swapping around of my muzzle devices, but i used up most of the supplied Rocksett when I did the initial installations. Anyone know if/which stores sell the stuff?

I saw some on amazon.com from the manufacturer, but I'm not too enthusiastic about paying $9 shipping for a $9 (2 oz) item.
I might have an extra brand new bottle in the house. I can ship it for like $13 bucks. I have to check to see if I even still have it. e-mail me. I don't check my PMs very often. usadaytrader@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2010, 3:08 PM
L4D's Avatar
L4D L4D is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,578
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

http://store.flexbar.com/merchant2/m...dhesive-Cement

heres a 4oz bottle for $14.

would blue loctite hold up?

Last edited by L4D; 04-30-2010 at 3:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2010, 3:16 PM
pipboy's Avatar
pipboy pipboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 608
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the replies guys! I actually found it and bought some earlier today.

Blue loctite is not rated to withstand the high temps rocksett is, so its recommended to use rocksett with muzzle devices.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2010, 3:32 PM
L4D's Avatar
L4D L4D is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,578
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

how hot do our bullet buttoned 10 round restricted semi-auto's get?

I found the temp range for loctite 242 from their site
Temperature range: -65 degrees to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (-54 degrees to 149 degrees Celsius)

Last edited by L4D; 04-30-2010 at 3:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2010, 3:57 PM
pipboy's Avatar
pipboy pipboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 608
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Considering recommended procedures for easy removal of parts secured with blue loctite is to simply heat the threaded area, why would you want to deliberately place it on a part that is heated by normal use?

How hot it gets depends entirely on the configuration of the rifle, how the rifle is run, and under what conditions. Granted if you assume the only use the rifle will ever see is on the bench at a static range with a 10rnd/bb configuration blue loctite may hold up fine, but once you decide to take a class or dump a few mags out of state, or whatever, do you really want to settle for something that knowingly comes off with the application of heat?

The manufacturer recommends the use of rocksett, and even ships the part with a vial of the stuff. I just want to do things properly and not be worried about things coming loose when they shouldn't that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2010, 4:01 PM
L4D's Avatar
L4D L4D is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,578
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipboy View Post
Considering recommended procedures for easy removal of parts secured with blue loctite is to simply heat the threaded area, why would you want to deliberately place it on a part that is heated by normal use?

How hot it gets depends entirely on the configuration of the rifle, how the rifle is run, and under what conditions. Granted if you assume the only use the rifle will ever see is on the bench at a static range with a 10rnd/bb configuration blue loctite may hold up fine, but once you decide to take a class or dump a few mags out of state, or whatever, do you really want to settle for something that knowingly comes off with the application of heat?

The manufacturer recommends the use of rocksett, and even ships the part with a vial of the stuff. I just want to do things properly and not be worried about things coming loose when they shouldn't that's all.
gotcha. Does anyone know an alternative to rockset? Not all muzzle devices ship with rocksett.

lets say for a bench gun.

Last edited by L4D; 04-30-2010 at 4:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2010, 7:04 PM
killshot44's Avatar
killshot44 killshot44 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,080
iTrader: 31 / 97%
Default

With a new crush washer you don't need Loctite.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
ArkinDomino's Avatar
ArkinDomino ArkinDomino is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 4,853
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot44 View Post
With a new crush washer you don't need Loctite.
Some muzzle devices specifically say not to use crush washers....
__________________
I provide opinions...
At a rapid rate.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 PM
FMJBT's Avatar
FMJBT FMJBT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 4,891
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkinDomino View Post
Some muzzle devices specifically say not to use crush washers....
Typically this would be for muzzle devices that serve as a base for suppresor use. Normally these muzzle devices will mount/index using peel washers to maintain a more precise alignment with the bore. Either way, as long as final torque is sufficient a thread locking compound shouldn't be needed unless the device directs muzzle blast in such a way as to rotate it off the barrel.
__________________
U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:24 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.