Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 04-14-2011, 1:38 PM

Default Magnum shooting range Rancho Cucamonga Sucks

I just picked up my new Glock 19 today and was excited to take it out. I was close to Rancho Cucamonga and thought I would give magnum range a try. I brought my range backpack with ammo, ears, eyes, targets, and gun with me into the range. Told the guy behind the counter i wanted to shoot and he asked me what ammo I had. I brought 1 box of tulammo (russian) and 3 boxes of federal ammo with me and was beginning to pull them out of my bag to show him when he just dove into my backpack without asking. He then said i couldn't use the tulammo which i said ok to but then he started opening the sealed box which i did not want him to do just to show me it had a steel core. He then said i would have to leave the box with him while i was shooting instead of just leaving it in my bag or mabe putting it in my car. I had enough of the jerk behind the counter and said I will not use their range ever. They may have decent prices but it is not worth it to put up with the people who work there.
Old 04-14-2011, 4:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tula handgun ammo is steel core?
Old 04-14-2011, 4:57 PM

Yep.
Old 04-14-2011, 4:59 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

probaby meant steel case. If it was steel core handgun ammo, that would be illegal AP ammo, so I doubt it is steel core.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-14-2011, 5:11 PM

Magnet stuck to ammo. Plus it is dirty when you shoot it.

Last edited by josh_b; 04-14-2011 at 6:45 PM..
Old 04-14-2011, 5:26 PM

how hard was that to just leave the box with him?
Old 04-14-2011, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_b View Post
Magnet stuck to tip of projectile.
that would mean that it has a steel jacket, not a steel core. steel core handgun ammo is illegal to possess in CA, and illegal anywhere in the country for an FFL to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheknow View Post
how hard was that to just leave the box with him?
yah, it would save me a trip to the car.

But I know what the OP means regarding dealing with people at gun stores/ranges. They do seem to atract some of the less public-friendly types. But, I've noticed that many businesses that cater to "hobbies" run into the same problems, it isn't just guns.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-14-2011, 6:11 PM

The whole leave the ammo with him was just the last straw. The fact that he was putting his hands is my shooting bag without asking after I was already pulling out the ammo , opening a sealed box without asking and finally followed by i could not just leave it in my bag. He just was giving me additude and pissed me off. The biggest a-hole I have ever had to deal with at a range so I just refuse to give that kind of person my business. I posted this so people can have a heads up when they decide where to take their hobby.
Old 04-14-2011, 6:19 PM

BTW found another range I could use the ammo at and am happy. Just never going back to magnum range.
Old 04-14-2011, 6:50 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor

Quote:
BTW found another range I could use the ammo at and am happy. Just never going back to magnum range.
1 less person to wait behind to get a range.

I have been going there for awhile, and have never had any issues there

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience.
Old 04-14-2011, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmncali View Post
1 less person to wait behind to get a range.

I have been going there for awhile, and have never had any issues there

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience.
+1

Other than the ammo issue, I've never had any problem with the owner. Nice guy IMO.
Old 04-15-2011, 3:18 PM

+1 Never had a problem great place I think...
Old 04-15-2011, 4:10 PM

Go to bass pro shop its not to far and will let u shoot mostly all hg caliber ammo that's not reloads.
Old 04-15-2011, 4:12 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
The whole leave the ammo with him was just the last straw. The fact that he was putting his hands is my shooting bag without asking after I was already pulling out the ammo , opening a sealed box without asking and finally followed by i could not just leave it in my bag. He just was giving me additude and pissed me off. The biggest a-hole I have ever had to deal with at a range so I just refuse to give that kind of person my business. I posted this so people can have a heads up when they decide where to take their hobby.
I love people with retail type jobs that have snobby attitudes. You get the same thing from pro shop personnel at golf courses. It's like "dude..you run a cash register.. get over yourself!"
Old 04-15-2011, 8:55 PM

I'm a member there and never had an issue with the range. I did several PPT transfers there also, $35.

Last edited by Vtec44; 04-16-2011 at 9:31 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

People have bad days but putting his hand in my stuff woulda pissed me off too lol. I would have had to say something myself but then again I' am a douche lol. First impressions are key that's for sure. I have had bad experiances on 1st visits to a few gun shops around here and will never go back.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM

I would be mad too if someone touched my gear without permission. I've met Josh and he's a nice guy so I know he wouldn't have blew his top over nothing. My question is why did he ask what type of ammo your shooting? I've never been asked that by anyone at Lytle Creek or Magnum in Riverside which I frequent. If it would have happened to me I would have just told them 9mm, 357sig, 40cal, etc. instead of getting into specifics.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 AM

Whether the store clerk was clearly in the wrong, or you took it too personally and let your emotions get the better of you, sometimes you just have to bite your tongue if you want to get something or do something for yourself. You may have saved yourself the trouble by just taking your stuff out to your car, then coming back in and go shooting.

Also, what do you mean your box of ammo was 'sealed' up? Did it have some type of shrink-wrap over it? I've seen Tulammo (which I personally wouldn't run through my guns, and I already know most ranges won't allow it anyways... like Wolf ammo) and I've never seen any Tulammo shrink-wrapped up or sealed in any way. Their boxes are just like any other boxes of ammo where you just open up the tab and slide the tray out.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

I've gone there 3 or 4 times since at the time, Prado range was flooded and I needed a close indoor range. Very good expirience there each time. Think I was asked 3 out of the 4 times I went there and I pulled out a box myself just to show him the exterior and I was good to go, got my targets and got to shooting. Think I've encountered two different people there? Or maybe just one haha but he/they are always friendly to me. I'll probably end up with a membership there sometime.
Old 04-16-2011, 8:37 PM

The only problems I've ever had there was with their hand loaded ammo. Multiple high primers and one double charged .44 mag. I don't know who loaded it for them but I stay away from it and I haven't had any problems with the staff.
Old 04-17-2011, 6:03 AM

+1 for the place. Had a good experience doing a ppt there.
Old 04-17-2011, 6:20 AM

The sides of the box were glued shut therefore sealed. And was just trying the ammo in my glock. Just wanted to see for myself how the ammo ran through my gun. And when he said i could not use it followed by me saying ok what else is there.

Last edited by josh_b; 04-17-2011 at 9:50 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Superfluous

I know Josh as well.
He isn't the kind of guy that over reacts to anything. His backround doesn't allow for over reactions.
Hell, a couple of weeks ago I watched a guy run into Josh's car in a parking lot in broad day light.
And how did Josh handle that?
Josh was very cool and kind to the idiot that dinged his bumper. Almost no reaction. No big deal.
I am sniffing this fella at the range was greatly overstepping his bounds if he pissed off Josh.

T

Last edited by Twystd1; 04-18-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 1:01 AM

dude, like...I went there once and at the end of my session the guy behind the counter like...made me pay him.

What an *****.

Last edited by The Sauce; 04-19-2011 at 1:05 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 6:46 AM

I know some of you think I overreacted and that is fine. so the next time your at the range have someone you don't kno. w go through your range bag.

Last edited by josh_b; 04-19-2011 at 6:56 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 7:42 AM

I frequent Magnum. The owner Peter, His son in law and wife are always friendly and nice. He lets me use my own ammo when I rent extra pistols to shoot.

PSN- Eg6xCivic, ZionLion_83
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just picked up my new Glock 19 today and was excited to take it out. I was close to Rancho Cucamonga and thought I would give magnum range a try. I brought my range backpack with ammo, ears, eyes, targets, and gun with me into the range. Told the guy behind the counter i wanted to shoot and he asked me what ammo I had. I brought 1 box of tulammo (russian) and 3 boxes of federal ammo with me and was beginning to pull them out of my bag to show him when he just dove into my backpack without asking. He then said i couldn't use the tulammo which i said ok to but then he started opening the sealed box which i did not want him to do just to show me it had a steel core. He then said i would have to leave the box with him while i was shooting instead of just leaving it in my bag or mabe putting it in my car. I had enough of the jerk behind the counter and said I will not use their range ever. They may have decent prices but it is not worth it to put up with the people who work there.
I'm sorry but, WTF??

- Do you weigh 90 lbs soaking wet?!?
- Are you a slight of build female?!?
- Are you a fragile elderly person?!?

How the heck would the above bolded parts of your story happen?!? How do you (or anyone else for that matter) just stand there and let anyone do this?!?

I just can't see how anyone would let someone touch their property right in front of them, without permission.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HgbjSCLM
Old 04-19-2011, 3:11 PM

Location: Crummy California the most unfair state in the union.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Should have grabbed his hand and slapped the sh*t out of him for trying to steal from you.

O ne
B ig
A ss
M istake
A merica

Retard is not an offensive statement if the statement about said retard is true.
Old 04-19-2011, 6:39 PM

I figured it wasn't worth getting in a fight over so I would just take my business to another range. Be the mature one i guess. I think he was just some old guy thought he could boss people around and I just refuse to deal with someone like that with something I do for fun.
I did however go to OC indoor range in brea after and had a great experience. The staff were polite and friendly as always.
Old 04-19-2011, 6:44 PM
Banned

I have to say that I know the owner, Peter, very well and I don't see him doing something like that. However, it sounds like you may have been dealing with his son in law, David, who doesn't mean any harm, but can come across to some in a negative way. The first time I met him, I did not really care for him, but his reactions changed to me when he saw how Peter and his wife treated me. Personally, I think that Magnum Range is a great place. Its unfortunate that you had a bad experience, but I can't sit back and not defend someone who is a great guy that I too personally know.

If it bothered you, why not just say something to whomever went into your bag directly? If it was me, and someone went into my personal things, I would definitely speak up rather than simply bash them over the net. Peter was the co-owner of Riverside Magnum Range but struck out on his own from a former partner. I will say that his prices are fair, but as you develop a rapport with him, he will go out of his way to take a few bucks off of guns, ammo, or range fees. Very few other ranges go out of their way like this place does to develop relationships with frequent customers.

It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience. Based on what you have said, it likely that you won't return, but in the off chance that you do, simply talk with Peter directly and let him know what bothered you. He tends to believe in the notion of treating others as you want to be treated.

BTW, one of the reasons that they don't allow Tula or other Russian ammo is due to the large amount of powder that quickly builds up in the air. Remember, it's an indoor range and although the ventilation works at the range, the powder can be a bit overwhelming. The second reason has to do with the fact that Peter sends his brass off to a company that reloads.

Yes, I like all of the people there as you can see. Sorry about your experience, but I don't see this as a common thing on their part.

dave3223
Old 04-19-2011, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3223 View Post

BTW, one of the reasons that they don't allow Tula or other Russian ammo is due to the large amount of powder that quickly builds up in the air. Remember, it's an indoor range and although the ventilation works at the range, the powder can be a bit overwhelming.
if that is the case, then they need to say that. Don't be one of those ranges that claim that Tula/Wolf/Etc blows up guns so that is why it can't be shot there.

Quote:
The second reason has to do with the fact that Peter sends his brass off to a company that reloads.
so what, just run a magnet over the mix and separate it out. You're getting all this free brass from the customers, put the effort into separating it if you reloader won't take it. Why don't the outdoor ranges that sell their brass prohibit shooters from shooting steel case? Or is it that by letting customers shoot steel case, the range isn't making as much money off them. Pretty soon they'll tell revolver guys that they have to drop all their brass as well.

Old 04-19-2011, 7:20 PM
Banned

ke6guj said..."if that is the case, then they need to say that. Don't be one of those ranges that claim that Tula/Wolf/Etc blows up guns so that is why it can't be shot there"

Personally, I have not seen anywhere in their range where they make the claim that this type of ammo blows up guns. Their sign simply says that this type of ammo can not be used at their range. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this as its their range's policy. Also, the sign is clearly posted on the counter which is clearly visible upon walking up to the counter. I'm not saying that the OP wasn't wrong in his own personal feelings and I'm in no way discounting what the OP has stated. However, for clarification, the range says nothing about this type of ammo blowing up guns or other such claims.

dave3223
Old 04-19-2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3223 View Post
Personally, I have not seen anywhere in their range where they make the claim that this type of ammo blows up guns. Their sign simply says that this type of ammo can not be used at their range. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this as its their range's policy. Also, the sign is clearly posted on the counter which is clearly visible upon walking up to the counter. I'm not saying that the OP wasn't wrong in his own personal feelings and I'm in no way discounting what the OP has stated. However, for clarification, the range says nothing about this type of ammo blowing up guns or other such claims.

dave3223
sorry, wasn't trying to say that this range specifically says that that type of ammo blows up guns, but to say that "many" indoor ranges seem to have that as their "official" reason for why you can't use steel case ammo, instead of saying that they "lose" money when you shoot steel case ammo and would rather have you donate brass instead of steel when you shoot there. For as long as I can remember, Dave's guns in San Bernardino has a flyer on the bulletin board when you come in that says that Wolf ammo has damaged guns so you can't shoot it there.