Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Default Does CA have a gun registry?

I've always wondered since the USA is supposed to not have one does CA maintain it's own? I asked because years ago I had to claim all of my stepdad's firearms when the police took them because he wasn't doing so well after my mom passed. Then a few years later I had to do it again because his new wife called the police. He was a really depressed alcoholic Vietnam Vet. When I called the sheriff station the pistol showed up in my name as it should and none of the rifles as they should since long guns yada yada. Did the police just type in the serial number and my name popped up or did they do some investigative work and since I had claimed them once before they knew the local gun shop who kept the records of the transfer. Nobody probably knows for sure but I wondered how that worked and now that both pistols and guns are registered will they just type in serial numbers and our names pop up if the transfer or purchase was made recently even for rifles.

Edit: I did some research, sorry should have done more before asking. Looks like the CA DOJ has a data base that LEO is able to use to look up transactions.

"There is no comprehensive system of firearms registration in California. The California Department of Justice (“DOJ”) retains certain information about firearm sales and transfers. As of January 1, 2014, DOJ retains this information for long gun transactions in addition to handgun transactions. For more information, see the section entitled Retention of Sales / Background Check Records in California."

Last edited by Geofois; 09-06-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Yes, yes and yes. When you picked up the handguns the first time, the Officer put your name on all of them. Long guns were treated differently until about 2016, when they began tracking long guns and handguns together. If an officer checks a specific handgun in CA, it likely has you, your Dad, and all previous owners listed on it.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:49 AM

I think records for pistols started in 1998 right? Only 1 pistol showed up in my name but his others that must have been missed the first time the police picked up his firearms didn't show up. He got them maybe in the 70s and 60s.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofois View Post
I've always wondered since the USA is supposed to not have one does CA maintain it's own? I asked because years ago I had to claim all of my stepdad's firearms when the police took them because he wasn't doing so well after my mom passed. Then a few years later I had to do it again because his new wife called the police. He was a really depressed alcoholic Vietnam Vet. When I called the sheriff station the pistol showed up in my name as it should and none of the rifles as they should since long guns yada yada. Did the police just type in the serial number and my name popped up or did they do some investigative work and since I had claimed them once before they knew the local gun shop who kept the records of the transfer. Nobody probably knows for sure but I wondered how that worked and now that both pistols and guns are registered will they just type in serial numbers and our names pop up if the transfer or purchase was made recently even for rifles.

Edit: I did some research, sorry should have done more before asking. Looks like the CA DOJ has a data base that LEO is able to use to look up transactions.

"There is no comprehensive system of firearms registration in California. The California Department of Justice (“DOJ”) retains certain information about firearm sales and transfers. As of January 1, 2014, DOJ retains this information for long gun transactions in addition to handgun transactions. For more information, see the section entitled Retention of Sales / Background Check Records in California."
Your research led you to the correct answer.

California does not have a traditional "Registry" of firearms ownership.

However the California DOJ does maintain the "Automated Firearms System" database which maintains a record of certain firearms transactions. The AFS is maintained as a historical database, and only certain records are entered into it. For that reason, the AFS cannot identify who owns a particular firearm. All the AFS can do is communicate that a particular firearm was linked to a particular individual on the date of the record.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:14 PM

My roommate shot himself accidentally (don't ask lol) and the police got a search warrant and took all my guns as well as his . I had to go to the PD and write down all the serial numbers and register everything with the DOJ in my name that I inherited from my grandpa . All my guns were registered to me as I'm not old enough to have guns that aren't in the systems . But I will say that I had one of my bolt guns that i got from grandpa ran by a game warden and it came back as registered to me So what I am gettin at is yes I believe once registered to you after a police seizure then its always yours until its transferred by a FFL.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I think records for pistols started in 1998 right? Only 1 pistol showed up in my name but his others that must have been missed the first time the police picked up his firearms didn't show up. He got them maybe in the 70s and 60s.
1924, actually, for guns transferred through a CA gun dealer.

See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...ROS.29.2C_1924
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-06-2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
1924, actually, for guns transferred through a CA gun dealer.

See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...ROS.29.2C_1924
Ok thanks for that link. It looks like electronic records started in 1998. They probably didn't go back to 1924 and manually input records prior to that but for a murder or something they would probably attempt to pull those records.
Old 09-06-2018, 1:52 PM
Calguns Addict

OP: what you’re looking for is at CA PEN 11106: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=11106.
Quote:
(a) (1) In order to assist in the investigation of crime, the prosecution of civil actions by city attorneys pursuant to paragraph (3) of subdivision (b), the arrest and prosecution of criminals, and the recovery of lost, stolen, or found property, the Attorney General shall keep and properly file a complete record of all of the following:
(A) All copies of fingerprints.
(B) Copies of licenses to carry firearms issued pursuant to Section 26150, 26155, 26170, or 26215.
(C) Information reported to the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26225, 27875, 27920, 29180, or 29830.
(D) Dealers’ Records of Sales of firearms.
(E) Reports provided pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 27500) of Chapter 4 of Division 6 of Title 4 of Part 6, or pursuant to any provision listed in subdivision (a) of Section 16585.
(F) Forms provided pursuant to Section 12084, as that section read prior to being repealed on January 1, 2006.
(G) Reports provided pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4 of Part 6, that are not dealers’ records of sales of firearms.
(H) Information provided pursuant to Section 28255.
(I) Reports of stolen, lost, found, pledged, or pawned property in any city or county of this state.
(2) The Attorney General shall, upon proper application therefor, furnish the information to the officers referred to in Section 11105.
(b) (1) The Attorney General shall permanently keep and properly file and maintain all information reported to the Department of Justice pursuant to the following provisions as to firearms and maintain a registry thereof:

(2) The registry shall consist of all of the Following:
(A) The name, address, identification of, place of birth (state or country), complete telephone number, occupation, sex, description, and all legal names and aliases ever used by the owner or person being loaned the particular firearm as listed on the information provided to the department on the Dealers’ Record of Sale, the Law Enforcement Firearms Transfer (LEFT), as defined in former Section 12084, or reports made to the department pursuant to any provision listed in subdivision (a) of Section 16585, Section 28255 or 29180, or any other law.
(B) The name and address of, and other information about, any person (whether a dealer or a private party) from whom the owner acquired or the person being loaned the particular firearm and when the firearm was acquired or loaned as listed on the information provided to the department on the Dealers’ Record of Sale, the LEFT, or reports made to the department pursuant to any provision listed in subdivision (a) of Section 16585 or any other law. {More follows}
Old 09-06-2018, 3:36 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Ok thanks for that link. It looks like electronic records started in 1998. They probably didn't go back to 1924 and manually input records prior to that but for a murder or something they would probably attempt to pull those records.
Yes, they have. Members here have reported guns last transferred in CA in the 70s appearing in the records for their guns.

Seems to be a slow, low-priority process.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-06-2018, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes indeed registration historically has led to confiscation.
Old 09-06-2018, 4:23 PM

Makes one wonder if this information is on the magnetic strip on your drivers license along with CCW information. I think the different departments in the government share info.
Old 09-06-2018, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
Makes one wonder if this information is on the magnetic strip on your drivers license along with CCW information. I think the different departments in the government share info.
If so, DMV was involved, so I have no worries.

But, PEN 11106(a)(2) precludes that.
Quote:
(2) The Attorney General shall, upon proper application therefor, furnish the information to the officers referred to in Section 11105.
Old 09-07-2018, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yep, and since 2014 it also includes rifles. BB guns will probably be included soon.
Old 09-07-2018, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

CA doesn't have one firearm registry they have two, the AFS and whether it is separate or not the AW registry.
Old 09-07-2018, 5:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
CA doesn't have one firearm registry they have two, the AFS and whether it is separate or not the AW registry.

Assault Weapon records are contained within the AFS. It is not a separate system.

The AFS contains many different component files, one of which is for Assault Weapons.

Last edited by RickD427; 09-07-2018 at 5:48 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Assault Weapon records are contained within the AFS. It is not a separate system.

The AFS contains many different component files, one of which is for Assault Weapons.
Yes, I understand this. Just today I had to explain to someone that I have two firearms that have been registered twice. He was shocked to say the least.