Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-20-2019, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post
Received a call today from Jenny clarifying the standard is this:

If you have a restraining order you may receive a CCW and once the restraining order is over your CCW will be revoked, otherwise, all threats (without a restraining order) are considered broadly self-defense.
SCOTUS wants to take a close look at Rogers before deciding whether to hear it next year.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post22687424

Last edited by Paladin; 04-02-2021 at 6:36 AM..
Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM

Default Alameda County: Is Homelessness A Good Cause?

I just read that the homeless population has spiked 40% in Alameda county. Here in Fremont there have been numerous attacks on people in malls. One lady was attacked and hit on the head with a pipe so they could steal her purse. Another person was held at gunpoint at an ATM. Home invasion robberies and home breakins. There's no doubt that crime is on the uptick.

Any chance I can use the homeless arguement for GC and have a shot (don't laugh) at getting a CCW in Alameda county?

Finally if I were to apply and my CCW application was denied because they didn't agree with my reason, could the denial harm me in any way?
Old 05-26-2019, 7:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseman View Post
I just read that the homeless population has spiked 40% in Alameda county. Here in Fremont there have been numerous attacks on people in malls. One lady was attacked and hit on the head with a pipe so they could steal her purse. Another person was held at gunpoint at an ATM. Home invasion robberies and home breakins. There's no doubt that crime is on the uptick.

Any chance I can use the homeless arguement for GC and have a shot (don't laugh) at getting a CCW in Alameda county?
Not currently. Did you read over Sheriff Ahern's Good Cause requirement? https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseman View Post
Finally if I were to apply and my CCW application was denied because they didn't agree with my reason, could the denial harm me in any way?
A denial for insufficient GC won't harm you in the future. If/when you reapply later, they'll just compare your future GC against their future GC standard.

FWIW SCOTUS will probably take at least one 2nd A case next fall. Some here (me included) think the odds are good they'll make a decision that will liberalize CCW issuance in CA before 2020 July 01.

Old 07-21-2019, 9:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
An article in this Sunday's SF Chronicle says that 71 y.o. BART Director John McPartland is one of 222 people with a CCW in Alameda County. His good cause was #BLM.
Link?

Acc to this article, on 2018 July 01 there were 186 Ala Co CCWs.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html
Old 07-21-2019, 10:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suture1 View Post
All,

Finally picked up my renewal license from Judy today. I asked how many CCW licenses are in the county and she said 250 people. Not that many....
She said there are a lot more applications.

Took a little over 3 months from start to finish.
Can you share with us an idea of what your GC was like?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just requalified at the ACSO range in Dublin. Shot a 244/250 with my new Kimber Ultra II CDP! Good to meet a fellow Calgunner for the first time and see him shoot even better!!

Heard today that the Alameda County CCW count was now closer to 250 individuals- not good, but Rome was not built in a day.

Hope everyone reading this is safe and please get those applications in.
Can you give us a rough idea of what their GC was like (if you know it)?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hey folks. I was PM'd last night that another Calgunner is now part of the "good guy with a gun" club in Alameda County. Congratulations to him and his family.

So it is possible to get your CCW even in this County. Takes 15 months but it does happen.
If you know, can you share with us a rough idea of what their GC was like?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Link?

Acc to this article, on 2018 July 01 there were 186 Ala Co CCWs.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...es-7238888.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 07-22-2019, 5:09 AM

Good morning everyone. Thank you to Paladin for reaching out to me directly - have not been checking this thread in some time. I actually have left California and moved to Texas over the last year.

The Alameda County SO takes the time to review your good cause during the initial application. Many people who have their CCW license work as County employees or work with the Sheriff. A lot of other folks are business owners who deal in large amounts of CASH - landlords, vending machine owners, etc.
Old 07-22-2019, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Good morning everyone. Thank you to Paladin for reaching out to me directly - have not been checking this thread in some time. I actually have left California and moved to Texas over the last year.

The Alameda County SO takes the time to review your good cause during the initial application. Many people who have their CCW license work as County employees or work with the Sheriff. A lot of other folks are business owners who deal in large amounts of CASH - landlords, vending machine owners, etc.
Thanks for the reply. Congrats on moving to Free America! I heard TX will likely be turning "blue" (Dem) in a few years.

Re. CCWs: How does working as county employee help them? I mean, if I'm an IT guy working as a consultant for a private business vs working for the county or sheriff, I don't see how the latter gives me greater GC.

Or when you say "county employees" are you talking about judges, DAs and prosecutors/public defenders? If so, they apply for different CCWs, 3-year "Judicial" CCWs.

When you say "work with the Sheriff," are you talking about reserve officers? If so, they apply for different CCWs, 4-year "Reserve" CCWs.

The only ones we care about are for "normal" people who apply for 2-year standard CCWs. Besides landlords and vending machine owners, do you know what Good Causes are sufficient for getting issued 2-year CCWs?

As for landlords and vending machine owners, carrying what amount of cash qualifies: $1,000? $5,000? $10,000? more???

Last edited by Paladin; 07-22-2019 at 8:29 AM..
Old 07-22-2019, 4:48 PM

Thank you. It might happen one day, then it might not happen.

I met a MD who helped the sheriff as a medical prosecution witness. He had his CCW. Met another guy as a PI. Met a guy who was a mortician.

There is no real prescription for a guaranteed good cause in Alameda County. BUT cash amounts appear to be a good one.

I would say over $1000. I had to provide deposit receipts
Old 07-26-2019, 10:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I met a MD who helped the sheriff as a medical prosecution witness. He had his CCW. Met another guy as a PI. Met a guy who was a mortician.
Wait a minute. What? How does being a mortician put him at higher risk than average? Is he afraid corpses will turn into zombies and attack him? Even if that happens on the job, he can carry inside the mortuary without a CCW. Or is he afraid they'll come out of the ground out at a cemetery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2PoSljk8cE

Quote:
There is no real prescription for a guaranteed good cause in Alameda County. BUT cash amounts appear to be a good one.

I would say over $1000. I had to provide deposit receipts
A reminder for folks: when Suture1 says >$1,000 cash he means cash, not >$1,000 worth of work equipment, which may only be worth $300 - 400 when sold as used & stolen. So, if you want to use the value of something else, think of how much it would go for stolen, not how much you paid for it new, or will have to pay to replace it. Then you can use that multiplier to use to see if you've got sufficient GC.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2020 at 8:27 PM..
Old 10-29-2019, 8:47 PM

Default Alameda County -- CCW Issued/process/insights/experiences

Hello All,

Recently, I was issued a CCW in Alameda; enclosed you’ll find specific experiences and insights. I hope it helps for those thinking about applying in Alameda County.

TL;DR it’s possible, I just received mine and the enclosed are my personal views / experiences /insights.

Time frame: ~ 11 months from application submission (online) to CCW issuance to me (ie card in my hand). This should could have been completed sooner, however I was traveling and deferred certain dates (eg range qualification etc by ~ 2 months). Upon completing the range qualification, a formal letter with the decision is sent via USPS and you schedule a followup appointment for the CCW card to be created / issued (same location as the interview referenced below) upon completing all facets / background checks / the process

Insights to various parts of the process: The ACSO site covers / outlines the steps in detail. https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php
  • Application submission / good cause: besides written justification, you need to ensure that supporting documentation is available. i.e.if you are a small business owner, be prepared to show deposits / substantiate the business is in operation. Part of the application process, I didn't specify which firearm would be on the CCW until the day before my range qualification (ultimately went a full size with a RMR)
  • In person interview: be prepared to share your justification to the IA Deputy Sheriff, discuss any training/courses etc. Also, expect to drill down and have the session recorded with a tape recorder
  • Live Scan / Photograph: nothing special
  • firearms safety course attendance. Course offered by Security Six that was recommended by Judy (from ACSO) as one of many options. Larry was remarkable (great instruction, well versed and just a very humble (and accomplished person). Please note, I took this safety course after my interview, however I have taken numerous other classes (eg NRA range safety, tactical training classes etc etc) . Larry has a wealth of knowledge, if you may want to the course prior to applying ..~200 for the class. Great material / useful (disregard the outcome w/ your CCW)
    Larry Hamby Owner, Security Six
    22698 Mission Blvd.Hayward, Ca. 94541
    (925)443-6676 office
  • Psychologist assessment Show up early! The assessment is provided by the same company / person that assesses other LEOs in the county as well. You have two parts (referenced below). The faster you finish the multiple choice part, the quicker you go in for an interview. Only one Psychologist was on site when I had assessment .. so if you take a few hours to submit, you might be part of the final wave to be interviewed (hope that makes sense). Plan for 8 hours, a chance you can finish everything in 4 (ie show up early, be the first few to finish your multiple choice assessment and then be interviewed -- the interviews are a FIFO model). I was done in < 4
    Part 1: multiple choice questions that fed into an assessment that is used as input between you and the Psychologist
    Part 2: Psychologist interview: mine was ~30 minutes. Expect 45 minutes in person. She’ll leverage the outcome from your multiple choice assessment, and drill down into multiple areas inclusive of your justification, asks for clarifications to answers you provided as part of the multiple choice assessment . Be transparent and honest.
  • ASCO training & range qualification: Extremely comprehensive course taught by Deputies / the team that runs the county range
    Qualification - outdoor range .. I prepared / trained at Metcalf (outdoor), San Leandro (outdoor) and also Guns Fishing and More .. specifically, the hardest part of the qualification for me was the 25 yards (as you need to hit the designated parts on the target) ie no points for a hitting sleeve
    Target: Upper body size silhouette
    Qualified with full size 9mm with a RMR
    Plan for ~4 hours (eg 12PM - 4PM). Your qualification is the end of the course .. bring a snack / water if you need .. although a vending machine is on site

Last edited by weekend_fun; 11-01-2019 at 6:35 AM..
Old 10-29-2019, 8:56 PM

Nice write up. Congrats on getting your permit!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_fun View Post
Recently, I was issued a CCW in Alameda; enclosed you’ll find specific experiences and insights. I hope it helps for those thinking about applying in Alameda County.

• Application submission / good cause: besides written justification, you need to ensure that supporting documentation is available. i.e.if you are a small business owner, be prepared to show deposits / substantiate the business is in operation. Part of the application process, I didn't specify which firearm would be on the CCW until the day before my range qualification (ultimately went a full size with a RMR)
  • In person interview: be prepared to share your justification to the IA Deputy Sheriff, discuss any training/courses etc. Also, expect to drill down and have the session recorded with a tape recorder
Right, but can you give us a rough idea of what your Good Cause was like, but not with so much detail as to ID yourself? (If you need help or want to discuss it, just PM me.) Good Cause is the insurmountable hurdle for the vast majority of those desiring a CCW from ACSO.

Oh, and Congrats!

Last edited by Paladin; 11-01-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Feel free to reach out directly. We have a couple small businesses. Without releasing identities from class / range qualification.. there were small Business owners. As for good cause, there’s frameworks / templates .. mine was ~ 2 paragraphs long
Old 11-01-2019, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Feel free to reach out directly. We have a couple small businesses. Without releasing identities from class / range qualification.. there were small Business owners. As for good cause, there’s frameworks / templates .. mine was ~ 2 paragraphs long
Did they say only owners making deposits, or could managers who make those business deposits also qualify?
Old 11-24-2019, 5:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Alameda County received 103 new applications in 2017 and 2018 and granted 64 of them. Also, 227 permits were renewed and, as of this month, there were 259 active licensees countywide, records show. Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Ray Kelly noted that requests for information about concealed weapons permits are quite common.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/...d-gun-permits/

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 11-30-2019, 10:36 AM

thanks for sharing the enclosed data.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs down mandatory Psych Eval still required

Periodically look over the few remaining anti counties' SO's website CCW info. I was looking at Alameda Co SO's and noticed something was missing: there's no longer any mention of a Psychological Evaluation, mandatory or otherwise or its $150 fee. That is new. I looked at these 3 webpages:

(1) the Ala Co SO's own CCW info at:
https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

(2) the Ala Co SO's CCW Info Permitium webpage at:
https://alamedaca.permitium.com/ccw/start

(3) the Ala Co SO's first page of the Permitium application at:
https://alamedaca.permitium.com/ccw/...permittype=new

Since I was just going off of memory, I thought I'd search around to see if there's a copy of Ahern's CCW Policy somewhere else showing a mandatory Psych Eval and I found Hayward PD host a .pdf document of Ala Co SO's CCW Policy showing a mandatory $150 Psych Eval as requirement for all applicants. See point #5 on p. 1, "Personal Suitability" at top of p.3 and $150 fee listed in chart on p.5 at:
https://www.hayward-ca.gov/sites/def...W%20Policy.pdf

So, my memory was correct.

Dropping the mandatory psych eval may have just been a mistake by their IT guy (highly unlikely), or it could be intentional and indicating Ahern sees the writing on the wall and is streamlining his CCW process to head off pro 2nd A public activism after we win some Carry cases at SCOTUS and/or CA9. If that is true, his next step (which he may have taken already for all I know), would be liberalizing his GC requirement.

Either way, assuming this is all legit, dropping the mandatory Psych Eval is good news saving law-abiding, hard working applicants $150 and a wasted workday.

"Shall" take a Psych Eval is still in General Order 1.04 in CCW Policy.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-25-2020 at 9:09 PM..
Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

<snip>
  • Part of the application process, I didn't specify which firearm would be on the CCW until the day before my range qualification (ultimately went a full size with a RMR)
<snip>
  • ASCO training & range qualification: Extremely comprehensive course taught by Deputies / the team that runs the county range
    Qualification - outdoor range .. I prepared / trained at Metcalf (outdoor), San Leandro (outdoor) and also Guns Fishing and More .. specifically, the hardest part of the qualification for me was the 25 yards (as you need to hit the designated parts on the target) ie no points for a hitting sleeve
    Target: Upper body size silhouette
    Qualified with full size 9mm with a RMR
    Plan for ~4 hours (eg 12PM - 4PM). Your qualification is the end of the course .. bring a snack / water if you need .. although a vending machine is on site
Well, I'm pleasantly surprised they allow RMRs.
Old 01-08-2020, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Despite what they say on their CCW webpage (https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php), ACSO is issuing for more than just people who are under a "documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm." So, the CA CCW GC map has been updated and shows Ala Co as Light Red. For details on what the colors mean, see post #31 at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

Last edited by Paladin; 04-02-2021 at 9:30 AM..
Old 01-09-2020, 1:04 AM

You think if I work for an alameda county library, I would be approved for a ccw? All jokes aside. A criminal might hold the library up for the expensive books
Old 01-09-2020, 1:04 AM

As a librarian?
Old 01-09-2020, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realinfishes View Post
You think if I work for an alameda county library, I would be approved for a ccw? All jokes aside. A criminal might hold the library up for the expensive books
Quote:
Originally Posted by realinfishes View Post
As a librarian?
You say "all jokes aside," then you put a winking smilie after your GC, or joke GC. You're sending mixed messages. I hope you're not a gal who does that on dates.

Regardless, Ala Co is Light Red. Compare what passes in Light Red counties to the best GC you can muster. How? That's already been answered:

Quote:
Despite what they say on their CCW webpage (https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php), ACSO is issuing for more than just people who are under a "documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm." So, the CA CCW GC map has been updated and shows Ala Co as Light Red. For details on what the colors mean, see post #31 at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924
Regardless of whether you get issued a CCW or not, be sure to Every Day Carry (EDC) pepper spray, exercise situational alertness and obey the 4-Stupids Rule (avoid going to Stupid places, avoid being around Stupid people, avoid doing Stupid things and avoid being out at Stupid times).

Last edited by Paladin; 01-09-2020 at 9:46 AM..
Old 01-23-2020, 5:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up ACSO's CCW policy is posted online!

Thanks to the passage of SB978 "Law Enforcement agencies: public records" (now PC Title 4.7 Section 13650), as of 2020 Jan 01 all CA LEAs are required to put all their policies online, and this includes their CCW policies. "[T]he written Alameda County Sheriff's Office CCW Policy" is General Order 1.04 (9 pages long), and you can find it by going to:
https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/policies.php

and from there: ACSO -> ACSO General Orders -> Ch. 1: LE Role, etc. -> 1.04 GO "Concealed Weapon License"

Ain't "open government" great!

ETA: Looking over the CCW Policy (GO 1.04), it appears that no fees are collected until AFTER a GC determination. (IOW applying is FREE if you end up getting denied for lack of GC.)

Also, it appears a Psych Eval is mandatory. Probably the state law max. of $150

Last edited by Paladin; 07-21-2020 at 9:41 AM..
Old 01-26-2020, 8:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Alameda Co *maybe* Yellow!

We've gotten some information that indicates Ala Co may be Yellow on the CA CCW GC map. To understand what that means, what sort of GCs have a solid chance of succeeding, read post #31 at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924 (copied below)

If you have a GC that fits in #9 to 12 AND can afford to waste the time, money and effort of applying only to get denied, give it a try. (Looking over the sheriff's CCW Policy (https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/policies.php ACSO -> ACSO General Orders -> Ch. 1: LE Role, etc. -> 1.04 GO "Concealed Weapon License"), it appears that you do NOT pay any fees until after a GC determination. Ask to make sure. Also, the Policy indicates that a Psych Eval is mandatory. That's usually the max allowed by law, $150, but I think it's after your GC was approved. Again, just ask.) Please post in this thread and let us know how it goes after you're issued or denied. (Or at least PM me.) We'll use your feedback to determine whether Ala Co should be changed on the map to yellow.

If you have a GC that fits in #13, 14 or 15, you should apply because you're most likely to get issued.

Quote:
The below GC categories are listed from, roughly, weakest to strongest. Note well there's a range within each category. For example, someone who's work equipment is worth $10,000 (might pass Light Red) is assumed to be more at risk than someone who's equipment is worth only $1,000 (might pass Yellow). Plus, remember that equipment that cost you $1,000 isn't equivalent to someone making $500 cash deposits. Your equipment is not only used (let's say it would fetch $600), but also it's stolen (might then drop that to $300). Similarly, someone who walks with a slight limp (might pass Dark Green), is not as vulnerable as someone who requires a cane (might pass Light Green) and they're not as vulnerable as someone who requires a wheelchair (might pass Yellow). Evaluation of GC isn't black and white, but often shades of gray, a judgment call. That's one of the reasons why we say the map may be off by 1 color in either direction. So, if you have a GC that is listed under Light Green below it might pass in a Yellow county. Apply if you really want a CCW and can afford to waste the time, money and effort in applying since you're most likely to be denied. (Going through the process might be good practice.) Remember: we should win a robust 2nd A RBA from SCOTUS by 2021 July 01.

<snip>

All the below will likely pass in a Yellow county Some of us can get issued here.

(8) Lives in a remote area with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times. (Provide proof of residence location, photos of your acreage, of you farming/ranching, etc) N.B. While this may work with SLO Co SOs, it will not work with Alameda Co SO; not sure re. Napa and Yolo Co SOs.

(9) Employees required to work in remote locales at all hours with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., wilderness photographer, surveyors, construction workers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, value of equipment) restricted to on-the-job only N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(10) Employees at heightened risk due visiting isolated locations required by their employment (e.g., female RE agents showing houses to strangers at all hours while alone). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(11) Employees (e.g., business managers, property managers) who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their employment (e.g., Au/Ag, jewelry, pharmaceuticals, firearms, ammo or gunpowder ("inherently dangerous property"), cash sales or rental deposits). Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(12) The nature of the business or occupation of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and / or criminal attack, greater than the general population (e.g., private investigators, process servers, plain clothes security guards, bodyguards, taxi drivers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, photos of you on the job, etc.) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

All the below will likely pass in a Light Red county. Few of us can get issued here.

(13) Business owners required to work at all hours in remote locales with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., professional farmer or rancher, wilderness photographer, surveyor, contractor). (copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job at remote locations, value of equipment, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(14) Business owners who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their profession or business activities (e.g., Au/Ag dealers, jewelry dealers, MD/pharmacists/pharma sales rep, business owner or landlord making cash sales or rental deposits, maybe NRA Instructor, RSO and FFL dealers due to regularly transporting "inherently dangerous property"). (written description of your business activities, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

The below Good Cause will likely pass in a Dark Red county. This is Virtual No Issue because virtually none of us can get issued here. There are 3 levels in Dark Red (from most restrictive to least): actual No Issue. SF and Santa Clara, for awhile, were once this. Next, corrupt issue. LA is like this per the CSA's report: 25 out of 25 audited files did not follow their own CCW policy re. residency and 24 out of 25 did not follow their own policy on GC. Last is Virtual No Issue: this is where they issue for category #15 below and only for that.

(15) They are at heightened risk due to a documented "clear & present danger to life, or great bodily harm" against them or an immediate family member (e.g., crazy ex- or disgruntled fired employee, stalker, anonymous nut case/evildoer, etc.). These GC policies are usually based upon CA State AG John Van de Kamp's early 1980s Opinion letter and require a number of additional conditions be present. (Proof includes police reports (if BG unknown), permanent restraining order (if BG known), evidence of current threats (e.g., audio recordings, video/pictures, written threats, etc).) (SF, LA and Alameda have this as their only acceptable GC, but I've heard Alameda & LA approves or denies not in conformity to their published policy. (See Calif State Auditor's report re. LA: 1 page Fact Sheet: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/factsheets/2017-101.pdf Audit Summary: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/reports/2017-101/summary.html Full, 88 page report: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/reports/2017-101.pdf One year later, LASD is still has not complied with the CSA's recommendations. See ~2/3rds down at: https://www.auditor.ca.gov/reports/s...019-041/table3)

Last edited by Paladin; 04-02-2021 at 6:24 AM..
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM

I applied under #15 with the following:

-Repeated documented threats of physical harm from a should be, but likely is not, "prohibited" (no police report, screen caps from a screen)
-Individuals who could attest to the truth of the threats
-Provided references from people in the Bay Area (locals, can you believe it!?)

Outcome:
-Verbal "likely denial" over the phone which meant I could redact my application for refund. I am guessing that if you go to the interview and are denied then you likely are charged still for the application.
-Was told I would need a Restraining Order in place before these threats would be considered sufficient and once the Restraining Order lapsed my permit would be denied upon renewal.

FWIW, I also do not see their target shooting rules online yet which I thought was required under a new law.
Old 01-27-2020, 4:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I applied under #15 with the following:

-Repeated documented threats of physical harm from a should be, but likely is not, "prohibited" (no police report, screen caps from a screen)
-Individuals who could attest to the truth of the threats
-Provided references from people in the Bay Area (locals, can you believe it!?)

Outcome:
-Verbal "likely denial" over the phone which meant I could redact my application for refund. I am guessing that if you go to the interview and are denied then you likely are charged still for the application.
Looking over their CCW Policy, I don't see any fees being collected prior to a GC determination (item d. 1.). Did you ask them how much is paid prior to GC determination and is any of it refunded if you're denied? Just ask Ms. Mulder at: (510) 208-9890

Quote:
-Was told I would need a Restraining Order in place before these threats would be considered sufficient and once the Restraining Order lapsed my permit would be denied upon renewal.
Well, if the BG was serious, even a short-term CCW is better than none. Did you look into getting a RO?

Quote:
FWIW, I also do not see their target shooting rules online yet which I thought was required under a new law.
Not sure. Haven't spent time looking around for it in the doc. Again, maybe ask Ms. Mulder at: (510) 208-9890

If you (or someone else) do call her, also ask about (1) how long from app submission to GC determination and, if accepted, (2) how long from then until permit issued (typically, assuming no problems). Thanks!
Old 01-27-2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Looking over their CCW Policy, I don't see any fees being collected prior to a GC determination (item d. 1.). Did you ask them how much is paid prior to GC determination and is any of it refunded if you're denied? Just ask Ms. Mulder at: (510) 208-9890
You could be right, this was about a year ago. She may have been trying to coax me by floating the idea about getting the money back.

Quote:
Well, if the BG was serious, even a short-term CCW is better than none. Did you look into getting a RO?
I looked into it briefly but figured it was not worth the effort since this person is not in CA. I tried to raise the point that asking for a RO, which requires two parties (I think), would increase my risk. Did not work that well.

Quote:
Not sure. Haven't spent time looking around for it in the doc. Again, maybe ask Ms. Mulder at: (510) 208-9890
I will try to look again. I did practice using the Boston Moon-island target.

Quote:
If you (or someone else) do call her, also ask about (1) how long from app submission to GC determination and, if accepted, (2) how long from then until permit issued (typically, assuming no problems). Thanks!
If you register, you can schedule online but no idea when they say yes or no.

I will not try again until we get a carry case up in SCOTUS or I will try if I see the cracks forming near the ruling of said case.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I spoke w/Ms. Mulder (510) 208-9890 and she said it usually takes ~3-4 months to get a GC decision making for a full year for time from app to issued permit, assuming no hiccups. (Then they deny you since you obviously didn't need a CCW for a year... LOL!) There are delays due to backups in setting Psych Eval and range test dates.

She mentioned that if you apply via current online process you pay more fees in total and fees at the beginning of the process whereas if you apply using paper app, IIRC, you can get a GC determination prior to most (all?) fees. Best to verify that with her. (My ballpoint got gummed up while I was taking notes (oil or wax on the paper?), so I'm operating mostly off of memory. If you do apply, you should verify everything anyway in case I made a mistake or things change.)

Re. range test: that info isn't and won't be on the web. IMO, those are usually no big deal. Just get competent with your handguns. Then, most likely, approved trainers for your training course & cert. will know and tell you details about the range test. Don't worry, you won't have to be "Jelly" Bryce....

There's only 5 months left in this term for SCOTUS. If not this term, then next term we should win a "Right to Bear Arms" that "Shall Not be Infringed." Since Sheriff Ahern doesn't want a bunch of CCW permit holders in his county as seen by his restrictive GC policy, he'll have a bunch of LOCers in his county and deputies run ragged responding to "man with a gun" calls.

As cops say, "We can do this the easy way or the hard way. The choice is up to you."

Last edited by Paladin; 04-02-2021 at 9:33 AM..
Old 07-21-2020, 9:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone with a "yellow" Good Cause (see post 619 above), try applying with Ala. Co SO? If so, how'd it go? (You can PM me if you prefer.) From my discussions w/their CCW rep, it sounds like you have a solid chance with "yellow" GC.

You pay NOTHING prior to a Good Cause decision. You pay for and do the Psych Eval only after your GC has been approved.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-02-2021 at 9:34 AM..
Old 08-27-2020, 8:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Alameda Co has been updated to Yellow on the CA CCW GC map. With proof, they said they’d accept all the listed Yellow GCs except residing in rural area. (They say you can carry at home. But that ignores your special vulnerability while in transit.)

Last edited by Paladin; 04-02-2021 at 6:33 AM..
Old 09-26-2020, 9:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A CGNer wanted to share this:

Interview lasts ~45 min. It’s audio recorded. Asks regarding safe storage, who lives with you, how often you got to the range and more. It’s relaxed and friendly discussion.

GC must work it’s way up levels before final approval by the sheriff. Allow a year from submitting application to issuance of permit.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-02-2021 at 9:35 AM..
Old 12-27-2020, 7:02 PM

Default Recent ACSO CCW Applicant

I recently put my application in to ACSO for my CCW. My good cause was approved related to services I provide to the county.

So far wait times seem to be relatively short, I got my psych evaluation done 90 days from application submission. Now I am just waiting on a letter to schedule my range date. The process so far has been fair, I didin't feel like I was ever lead in the wrong direction. Just be honest and everything should go smooth.
Old 03-18-2021, 3:07 PM

It is interesting they require documented threat, funny it will be too late by then...
". Applicants must show evidence that (1) there is a documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm to the applicant and/or his or her spouse, domestic partner, or dependents, (2) the danger of harm is specific to the applicant, or his or her immediate family, and is not generally shared by other similarly situated members of the public, (3) existing law enforcement resources cannot adequately address the danger of harm, (4) the danger of harm cannot reasonably be avoided by alternative measures, and (5) licensing the applicant to carry a concealed weapon is likely to significantly reduce the danger of harm."
Old 03-19-2021, 8:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz74 View Post
It is interesting they require documented threat, funny it will be too late by then...
". Applicants must show evidence that (1) there is a documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm to the applicant and/or his or her spouse, domestic partner, or dependents, (2) the danger of harm is specific to the applicant, or his or her immediate family, and is not generally shared by other similarly situated members of the public, (3) existing law enforcement resources cannot adequately address the danger of harm, (4) the danger of harm cannot reasonably be avoided by alternative measures, and (5) licensing the applicant to carry a concealed weapon is likely to significantly reduce the danger of harm."
Read posts 614, 619 and 625.
Old 03-27-2021, 1:08 PM

Glad to see Alameda move to yellow. It has been red as long as I can remember. Hope it moves to a shade of green someday. Being a tech worker who live in Alameda County but works on the peninsula doesn't get me very far in the GCs department. Would love to apply, but will wait it out for now until something changes.

Thanks for the updates!
Old 03-27-2021, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

So is Alameda County still red or is it actually yellow?

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-28-2021 at 2:39 PM..
Old 03-31-2021, 11:15 AM

Dunno I don't believe they will be helpful. I saw where during the asian violence in oakland a woman was hit by a car of criminals attempting to steal her camera etc. Once the struggle started a ccw holder came out of his business and fired off not hitting anyone / anything. So they arrested him not the perps. All of the politicians rhetoric of stopping violence against asians and then they do this, it's glaringly clear they really don't care about the safety of the individual. It's sad and disgusting.

If you do manage to get one and god forbid you have to use it you will be arrested immediately and my guess is the DA will take a big **** on you. They just announced the Berkeley officer stopping the robbery at cvs who fired at the car when the perps refused to comply and tried to take off she was fired. There is no interest in this area of making things safe.

Last edited by Casoobaru; 03-31-2021 at 11:19 AM..