Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Lining up pistol night sights... Fast.

Curious how other people train for this. When it's pitch black, and all you can see are the 3 dots and the target, what technique do you use to line them up on the target as fast as possible?

What I've been doing is this: point the pistol with the muzzle intentionally high, so the single dot is well above the other two. Then, I (relatively slowly) drop the muzzle to line up the 3 dots, never losing sight of any of the 3 during the process.

The concern is that when drawing, if I only see the rear dots, I might not be able to quickly adjust my aim if I don't even know where my front dot is.

Just curious if there's a better technique I should know.

Also, a related side question, would a differently-colored front dot help at all? All my night sights are currently same-color front and rear. Cheers!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 AM

Laser...
Old 07-16-2018, 12:59 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
Laser...
I do have a lasermax in one of my pistols, I do love it but I've lately grown more fond of my pistols with night sights, I'm not sure why. Maybe because they're "always on"

Old 07-16-2018, 5:23 AM

How are you identifying your target if it's pitch black and all you can see are the tritium vials on your sights?

I'd suggest investing in a quality handheld or weapon-mounted light. Once you turn the light on to ID your target, your sights will be silhouetted and it won't matter if they're plain, tritium, fiber optic, etc.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Curious how other people train for this. When it's pitch black, and all you can see are the 3 dots and the target, what technique do you use to line them up on the target as fast as possible?..
Train yourself so the gun comes up with the sights already aligned when you draw.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:51 AM

As someone already said, why would you be aiming at something that you haven't illuminated and identified? That is how those 'I shot my kid because I thought he was a burglar' accidents happen.
Old 07-16-2018, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

4 safety rules.

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 07-16-2018, 7:41 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Train yourself so the gun comes up with the sights already aligned when you draw.

+1

Now do this from laying in your bed. From laying on either side of your body, and with a strong side presentation and then a weak side presentation. It's a lot different than when standing vertical.

And let's say there happens to be sufficient ambient light (but still dark enough where night sights are a distinct advantage) to determine your target hostile... three dot night sights might be faster to align if the front sight were a different color than the rear sight dots, when having to present your weapon from a weak side "draw", for example. Might be pretty easy to have the front sight all the way over instead of centered when your sights are all three the same color.

/ponderin'
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-16-2018, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are going to put a sight on the target, make it the front sight.
Old 07-16-2018, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
+1

Now do this from laying in your bed. From laying on either side of your body, and with a strong side presentation and then a weak side presentation. It's a lot different than when standing vertical....
Yes, again.

This is called developing your natural point of aim.

And that ties in with the flash sight picture as described by Greg Morrison (Morrison, Gregory, The Modern Technique of the Pistol, Gunsite Press, 1991, pp 87 - 88, emphasis added):
Quote:
...The flash sight-picture involves a glimpse of the sight-picture sufficient to confirm alignment....The target shooter’s gaze at the front sight has proven inappropriate for the bulk of pistol fighting. However, the practical shooter must start at this level and work up to the flash, which becomes reflexive as motor skills are refined. With practice, a consistent firing platform and firing stroke align the sights effortlessly. This index to the target eventually becomes an instantaneous confirmation of the sight-picture.

...Using the flash sight-picture programs the reflex of aligning the weapon’s sights with the target instantly....There is good reason for sights: one needs them to align the barrel with the target reliably....
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old 07-16-2018, 8:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My night sight on my HD pistol is a Trijicon RMR. I’ve practiced enough that I index the weapon in line with my dominant eye and can see the dot every time. I never have to stop looking directly at the area my target is in. If I need to illuminate, I can activate my light with my support thumb.

Single plane focus and threat focus are really cool!

-Clint Smith
Old 07-16-2018, 8:59 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcoBlaster View Post
How are you identifying your target if it's pitch black and all you can see are the tritium vials on your sights?

I'd suggest investing in a quality handheld or weapon-mounted light. Once you turn the light on to ID your target, your sights will be silhouetted and it won't matter if they're plain, tritium, fiber optic, etc.
If it's pitch black, then yes I absolutely agree.

But in "low-light" (like a room with a nightlight in it) you could see pretty easily if your eyes are adjusted to the darkness, such as when you wake up in the middle of the night.

Like how you can easily navigate your kitchen to get a glass of water at 3am using only the glow from the microwave's clock. Pretty easy to make out a face under those conditions, but it's still hard to see the sights.

Old 07-16-2018, 9:00 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyAdeline View Post
My night sight on my HD pistol is a Trijicon RMR. I’ve practiced enough that I index the weapon in line with my dominant eye and can see the dot every time. I never have to stop looking directly at the area my target is in. If I need to illuminate, I can activate my light with my support thumb.

Single plane focus and threat focus are really cool!
That is my "night sight" on my shotgun, and I love it! But sadly my handguns don't have it.

Old 07-16-2018, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
If you are going to put a sight on the target, make it the front sight.
QFT

This is why I prefer just a front sight dot (I like hybrid tritium/flourescent ones) on my carry pistols. Weapon lights are great if you can handle their size (some new ones are admirably small) and get them turned on in time. It would be interesting to know if police officers, when faced with needing to draw their weapon to return fire, actually find themselves manipulating the light switch or if they just return fire at the muzzle flashes and turn the light on later.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 07-16-2018, 9:19 AM

Much like skeet shooting I don't aim using sights.
Old 07-16-2018, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
QFT

This is why I prefer just a front sight dot (I like hybrid tritium/flourescent ones) on my carry pistols. Weapon lights are great if you can handle their size (some new ones are admirably small) and get them turned on in time. It would be interesting to know if police officers, when faced with needing to draw their weapon to return fire, actually find themselves manipulating the light switch or if they just return fire at the muzzle flashes and turn the light on later.
What agency would train their officers to fire without identifying the threat first?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That is my "night sight" on my shotgun, and I love it! But sadly my handguns don't have it.
I’ve been considering a RMR on my HD shotgun, but always convince myself it wouldn’t be much faster than point shooting or a quick bead at “in the home” distances.

But I respect your opinion, so maybe I’ll do it!

-Clint Smith
Old 07-16-2018, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
What agency would train their officers to fire without identifying the threat first?
What agency trains their officers to not consider an adversary firing upon them as a threat and requires them to illuminate them with a light first when there may be sufficient ambient light to see the target? My question is whether they would purely react and rely upon their tritium front sight or would they first illuminate the target as the "must have a weapon light" crowd seems to insist upon. Armed conflict with firearms existed long before there were flashlights.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 07-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

But in "low-light" (like a room with a nightlight in it) you could see pretty easily if your eyes are adjusted to the darkness, such as when you wake up in the middle of the night.

Like how you can easily navigate your kitchen to get a glass of water at 3am using only the glow from the microwave's clock. Pretty easy to make out a face under those conditions, but it's still hard to see the sights.
Is it a good idea to make target IDs at 3am when you are half asleep using the light from your microwave clock?

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...271330421.html
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

If there is enough light to identify a target then the person you are about to shoot then their should provide enough contrast for you to see the outline of your sights.

But you really should have a weapon light if you are going to make shots in the dark at a distance that requires aiming.
Old 07-17-2018, 1:41 PM

Turn on the lights...
Old 07-17-2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcoBlaster View Post

Well said..night sights are over hyped in my honest opinion.