Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

View Poll Results: What do you think the chances are of a visit by CA DoJ?
0 to 25% 292 82.72%
26 to 50% 20 5.67%
51% to 75% 12 3.40%
76 to 100% 29 8.22%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledReaper View Post
Given the crap ***** requirements and stipulations and needing to give up at least 4 of your constitutional rights just to keep your bullet button, it boggles the mind why anyone would have registered something AGAIN that they legally bought already.. not to mention the fact that a spouse had to be listed otherwise there is a felony in waiting?!?
Wtfh is wrong with people..

So now anyone who tried and got kicked back is on the list and radar and if it did not get corrected before today,you are all felons they know what you have and where... would have been better if NO ONE registered ..... EVERY ONE go featureless or fixed.....

THIS!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:30 PM

I will be curious to hear the compliance rate with this registration. I read somewhere on calguns the last registration attempt in 2000 resulted in a compliance rate of about 10%.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
I will be curious to hear the compliance rate with this registration. I read somewhere on calguns the last registration attempt in 2000 resulted in a compliance rate of about 10%.
The 2000 registration did not have the 2014+ DROS data set. The 2014+ DROS files show manufacturer, barrel length, model along with serial number and address of purchaser. It is a trivial task to do a sort and select to produce a list of 2014+ purchasers that didn't submit a BBAW registration application. If the compliance level for 2014+ AWs is 10%, expect a bunch of visits by CA DoJ representatives.
Old 07-04-2018, 1:29 PM

I'm in the process of leaving and I've already moved all my scary firearms out of the state and into secure storage. All that's here is basically what's always loaded; a snubby 357, a G19, and a Mossy 590.

Nothing DoJ would be likely to get too excited about.
Old 07-04-2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
I'm in the process of leaving and I've already moved all my scary firearms out of the state and into secure storage. All that's here is basically what's always loaded; a snubby 357, a G19, and a Mossy 590.

Nothing DoJ would be likely to get too excited about.
You are one of the lucky ones. When you complete your move, you will have all sorts of options (not being limited to rostered pistols, no 1 in 30 restrictions, and, and, and) that are not available to CA residents.
Old 07-04-2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
You are one of the lucky ones. When you complete your move, you will have all sorts of options (not being limited to rostered pistols, no 1 in 30 restrictions, and, and, and) that are not available to CA residents.
It's been over a year since I bought a pistol in CA, I'd almost forgotten about the 1 in 30 deal. The last handguns I got here, I had 3 queued up at once waiting in the shop at one time. Ridiculous.

I'm almost certain I've read of others here having a much longer pistol-queue at one time or another. The details are fuzzy, but doesn't the 10 day wait conspire to to make it really one in 40 or something, because you can't DROS within 30 and after the DROS the 10 days start or somesuch?

I will have an x95 fin to give away eventually, so that's good I guess.
Old 07-04-2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
It's been over a year since I bought a pistol in CA, I'd almost forgotten about the 1 in 30 deal. The last handguns I got here, I had 3 queued up at once waiting in the shop at one time. Ridiculous.

I'm almost certain I've read of others here having a much longer pistol-queue at one time or another. The details are fuzzy, but doesn't the 10 day wait conspire to to make it really one in 40 or something, because you can't DROS within 30 and after the DROS the 10 days start or somesuch?

I will have an x95 fin to give away eventually, so that's good I guess.
I purchased all of my pistols before the 1 in 30 rule, so, can't speak from experience. I would think that you could start a new DROS for a pistol on day 31. Factor in the 10 day wait, and you do get to 41 days between. But you can still start the DROS after the 30 days have passed for the prior pistol.
Old 07-04-2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:
I purchased all of my pistols before the 1 in 30 rule, so, can't speak from experience. I would think that you could start a new DROS for a pistol on day 31. Factor in the 10 day wait, and you do get to 41 days between. But you can still start the DROS after the 30 days have passed for the prior pistol.
Yeah, that 40 days is my recollection but mostly I just remember being pissed off TBH.

On topic, if for some reason the DoJ comes and visits someone in my situation, will the fact that I'm still a CA resident, purchased a BB rifle in 2016, never registered it, and can't produce it for inspection be a legal issue at all?

I never considered that scenario before.
Old 07-04-2018, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah, that 40 days is my recollection but mostly I just remember being pissed off TBH.

On topic, if for some reason the DoJ comes and visits someone in my situation, will the fact that I'm still a CA resident, purchased a BB rifle in 2016, never registered it, and can't produce it for inspection be a legal issue at all?

I never considered that scenario before.
I have. In that case, the agents will have to decide whether to believe you or not. Can you easily produce evidence that you have residence in another state? If they still don't believe you, then they will have to either get a search warrant for the CA residence or alternatively, contact their equivalent agency in the other state to verify that your guns are indeed located there. Each time, there is an increasing burden of work for them and they can decide if the chance of success justifies the effort.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-04-2018, 2:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
I have. In that case, the agents will have to decide whether to believe you or not. Can you easily produce evidence that you have residence in another state? If they still don't believe you, then they will have to either get a search warrant for the CA residence or alternatively, contact their equivalent agency in the other state to verify that your guns are indeed located there. Each time, there is an increasing burden of work for them and they can decide if the chance of success justifies the effort.
Horse manure, to be nice.

The state in which I reside as I type this has no idea of what I have in the way of guns.

I've got a few in the California house but I'm not there as often as I am here.

I've got a Lt. in the ISP as a neighbor. I'll send him a copy of your post and post his reaction back here. As a bit of a preview, how likely do you think an Idaho judge will issue a warrant allowing a search for weapon(s) if no crime has been committed? Pro tip...Idaho's Constitution doesn't allow screwing with federal firearms law.

Edited to Add...

He called me back...noted he got beer up his nose when he read the theory of helping California find a gun with no crime committed. He did note if the issue were federal, ISP would back them up if requested, though normally they get backup if needed via U.S. Marshals.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 07-04-2018 at 9:52 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
I met a cop at my FFL some months back and he was telling people it was ok to remove BB, and that he personally had already done so.
He's gonna be one of those that's gonna get a knock knock/bang bang on the door someday It's sad that some people do not understand the confusing law, partially blame that on the Kali politicians that make up some of these confusing laws who has no knowledge about firearms.
Old 08-15-2018, 9:14 PM

Don't kid yourselves. This is the Communist State of California and you are a gun owner---and they know who you are. Your chances are always greater than zero.
Old 08-15-2018, 9:33 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbekannt View Post
Don't kid yourselves. This is the Communist State of California and you are a gun owner---and they know who you are. Your chances are always greater than zero.
I don't think anyone here is kidding themselves. I'm as law-abiding as they come, and even I've gone to great lengths to ensure that if/when I get a DOJ visit, they'll leave with nothing more than a good cup of coffee and an empty evidence bag.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. That is ALWAYS the right plan.

Old 08-16-2018, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
Quote:
The 2000 registration did not have the 2014+ DROS data set. The 2014+ DROS files show manufacturer, barrel length, model along with serial number and address of purchaser. It is a trivial task to do a sort and select to produce a list of 2014+ purchasers that didn't submit a BBAW registration application. If the compliance level for 2014+ AWs is 10%, expect a bunch of visits by CA DoJ representatives.
Inferring that only registration equals compliance distorts the true compliance rate. In 2000 there were very few alternatives to registration. This time around the DOJ has plainly stated several ways that one can avoid registration, such as featureless, locked magazine, disassembly, removal from state, etc. Iím sure the DOJ is well aware of the large number of gun owners that used these alternatives, especially since they lurk here and have undoubtably read the many threads of what people are doing. At one point I thought there might be a higher probability of a DOJ visit for 2014+ purchases, but we know a search warrant could never be obtained given all the non-registration alternatives. There are other avenues for the DOJ to collect the low hanging fruit that require fewer resources. However, to hedge my bet, I leave the porch light on and the dogs locked up at night.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM

pshhh!!!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

DOJ is reading this thread and figuring out where you guys live. If I was you guys I’d start saving for a new front door.

Someone’s at the front door I got to go....

Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Your question is incomplete and you are lacking the mandatory Ďbaconí response.
Old 08-16-2018, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
DOJ is reading this thread and figuring out where you guys live. If I was you guys Iíd start saving for a new front door.
New trap door, maybe.
Old 08-19-2018, 6:57 PM

FOr me, it's now finally 0% unless CA declares war on my state and sends troopers across state lines to search.
Old 08-19-2018, 8:56 PM

0% if you were smart and went featureless, if you registered and get a visit, you literally signed up (and paid money) for it.
Old 08-19-2018, 9:03 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
0% if you were smart and went featureless, if you registered and get a visit, you literally signed up (and paid money) for it.
Well if you registered something you shouldn't have, then yes you could expect a visit. If you were smart and registered something boring and legal then there's no reason to expect a visit.

Old 08-19-2018, 9:57 PM

I just really do not, and never will understand the tin foil hat crowd here on CG. Folks, you register your cars. You register any real property you own. Stock certificates are registered. Your SS# is attached to every single bank, brokerage, IRA, 401K etc. account you have. 21st century technology can track any asset you or anyone in your family or anyone you know has.

Why the massive, all consuming, "I will vote against my and my family's every economic self interest because I am so abjectly terrified the government will someday come and take my guns!!" paranoia? The foolishness of the single issue voters, just seems to know no bounds.

I am not mocking anyone. It is a serious question.

How do you guys manage to leave your houses day in day out? Or do you work via the internet from your bunkers while you eat your MRE's without ever seeing natural light? (OK, now I'm having a little fun).

Last edited by sfarchitect; 08-19-2018 at 10:02 PM..
Old 08-19-2018, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
I just really do not, and never will understand the tin foil hat crowd here on CG. Folks, you register your cars. You register any real property you own. Stock certificates are registered. Your SS# is attached to every single bank, brokerage, IRA, 401K etc. account you have. 21st century technology can track any asset you or anyone in your family or anyone you know has.

Why the massive, all consuming, "I will vote against my and my family's every economic self interest because I am so abjectly terrified the government will someday come and take my guns!!" paranoia? The foolishness of the single issue voters, just seems to know no bounds.

I am not mocking anyone. It is a serious question.

How do you guys manage to leave your houses day in day out? Or do you work via the internet from your bunkers while you eat your MRE's without ever seeing natural light? (OK, now I'm having a little fun).
I legally purchased a nice little .22lr pistol from my local gun store in CA. 2 years later ( early 2000’s) I received a pre addressed box in the mail stating if I didn’t return my gun within ten days to Walther I could be charged with a felony. Look up Walther P22. This happened to me. They have your records and can at anytime come knocking. This crap really happens. Don’t trust your overlords. You are ignorant if you believe they don’t come after gun owners.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 08-19-2018 at 10:23 PM..
Old 08-19-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I legally purchased a nice little .22lr pistol from my local gun store in CA. 2 years later ( early 2000ís) I received a pre addressed box in the mail stating if I didnít return my gun within ten days to Walther I could be charged with a felony. Look up Walther P22. This happened to me. They have your records and can at anytime come knocking. This crap really happens. Donít trust your overlords. You are ignorant if you believe they donít come after gun owners.
Of course it can happen. After 2014, the DOJ knows exactly what have and they can easily send out letters instructing you to turn in your weapon at your nearest Police station.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPun762 View Post
Of course it can happen. After 2014, the DOJ knows exactly what have and they can easily send out letters instructing you to turn in your weapon at your nearest Police station.
Agreed, of course it can happen. I fully expect to get a knock on my door some day by some guys in tactical gear. It probably won't happen, but to plan for it not to happen is crazy. Even people who don't think they should worry, should. The APPS team visits anyone with a record that says they own a gun and shouldn't... Who exactly makes those records and checks their validity? Does anyone really think that only people who registered AWs could end up on that list? ANYONE could end up on that list. Whether you think you have a registered gun or not. You could get a knock on your door. You're nuts if you think you're immune just because you didn't register an AW. The only thing you can do that is guaranteed to be the right answer is to make sure that if you get the knock, nothing happens.

I've said time and time again... If DOJ knocks on my door, the only thing they are going to leave my house with is a fresh cup of coffee. I highly recommend others take the same strategy.

Old 08-20-2018, 1:16 AM

If you are here illegally, you're go to go, nothing to see here or worry about. You are even exempt from murder.
Old 08-20-2018, 1:44 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911GT3 View Post
If you are here illegally, you're go to go, nothing to see here or worry about. You are even exempt from murder.
Sadly, yep. You'll be indicted, and tried, and then the jury will feel that your "dreams" are worth a second chance. And a third. And an eighth. Gotta love this state.

Old 08-20-2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
If DOJ knocks on my door, the only thing they are going to leave my house with is a fresh cup of coffee. I highly recommend others take the same strategy.
What if I get a knock knock, BUT, I'm on the toilet taking(more like leaving) a big giant long dump reading my daily news, do I have the legal right to not answer the door?
Old 08-20-2018, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZB View Post
What if I get a knock knock, BUT, I'm on the toilet taking(more like leaving) a big giant long dump reading my daily news, do I have the legal right to not answer the door?
Unless they have a warrant, just keep on dumping. If they have a warrant you might want to go take care of your dead dog.
Old 08-20-2018, 7:44 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZB View Post
Without a warrant, you have no obligation to get off the toilet and answer the door.

Those Ring doorbells are a pretty good investment. See if it's a DOJ goon squad without having to pull up your pants. If it is, then continue your business, and maybe turn on Pandora to drown out the sounds of their knocking.

Old 08-20-2018, 7:51 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Unless they have a warrant, just keep on dumping. If they have a warrant you might want to go take care of your dead dog.
I've heard that even with a warrant, they'll first try to get your permission to let them enter without using the warrant. Something about how any evidence they find that's secondary to the items listed on the warrant are more admissible in court if the items were found under the authority of your consent rather than under the authority of the warrant. They would also get to search more than just the areas and items listed in the warrant. That is one (of many) reasons you should never, EVER consent to a search, even if you think you have nothing to hide, and even if the agents tell you they'll make your life harder if you make them get a warrant (which, from other people's stories, is EXACTLY what they'll say. Don't buy it. They are legally allowed to lie to you to try to get your consent. They will make your life hell if they find anything, whether you were nice to them or not. That's why they're there. They didn't just come to your house because they're lonely and want new friends.)

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-20-2018 at 7:54 PM..
Old 08-20-2018, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I've heard that even with a warrant, they'll first try to get your permission to let them enter without using the warrant. Something about how any evidence they find that's secondary to the items listed on the warrant are more admissible in court if the items were found under the authority of your consent rather than under the authority of the warrant. They would also get to search more than just the areas and items listed in the warrant. That is one (of many) reasons you should never, EVER consent to a search, even if you think you have nothing to hide, and even if the agents tell you they'll make your life harder if you make them get a warrant (which, from other people's stories, is EXACTLY what they'll say. Don't buy it. They are legally allowed to lie to you to try to get your consent. They will make your life hell if they find anything, whether you were nice to them or not. That's why they're there. They didn't just come to your house because they're lonely and want new friends.)
Bottom line, do not answer the door. Do not speak through the door. Make sure others in the house do not answer the door or acknowledge anyone at the door. And...do not have any firearms in the house.

People need to remember, in California, all gun owners are potential criminals according to the State.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM

I have chronic constipation.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Bottom line, do not answer the door. Do not speak through the door. Make sure others in the house do not answer the door or acknowledge anyone at the door. And...do not have any firearms in the house.

People need to remember, in California, all gun owners are potential criminals according to the State.
Where should the firearms be located? I am under the impression that secured storage of firearms in the house is the only 'protected' storage location for firearms.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Letting, "them", into your house without a warrant is like a Trump interview with Mueller.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:01 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Where should the firearms be located? I am under the impression that secured storage of firearms in the house is the only 'protected' storage location for firearms.
I stored my pending RAWs outside of CA. I continued to keep my other firearms at home because they're not of any legal concern.

Got my letter for some of the RAWs, and brought those ones back home to CA - the rest are still stored out of state while I wait.

If that wasn't an option, I'd probably find some other creative way to store them away from my home, maybe or maybe not involving waterproof containers with desiccant

Old 08-21-2018, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyPhD View Post
I was hearing from old timers on the CG Facebook group that the first few months of 1990 and 2001 DOJ was out in full force at the ranges checking papers, etc.

What could easily happen this time around, is similar to what happened in 2006-07 when BBs hit the market. Unlucky individuals with compliance kits get their rifles confiscated for examination. Especially those kits that crack the action just a couple millimeters. Like the early BB days, those individuals will likely relinquish ownership of the weapon(s) in exchange for no charges being filed.

People who registered properly won't get a house visit. But could still be shaken down at ranges for paperwork, compliance kit examinations, etc.

Guess it's time to go off the grid for a while?
BS

I went to public ranges FREQUENTLY back in the 1999 thru 2005 timeframe and I saw nothing like this happening!

Stop spreading FUD!

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.