Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-26-2017, 6:46 AM

new work/reload bench done! didn't like the home depot bench it was not sturdy enough. so i made my own. heavy and braced so no movement. It has a removable hardboard topper so i can replace when needed. adjustable wire shelves so no dust or particles collect. all reloading press and stuff are now on 12"x12" modules that i can clamp to the table and store when not using.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toklad View Post
new work/reload bench done! didn't like the home depot bench it was not sturdy enough. so i made my own. heavy and braced so no movement. It has a removable hardboard topper so i can replace when needed. adjustable wire shelves so no dust or particles collect. all reloading press and stuff are now on 12"x12" modules that i can clamp to the table and store when not using.

Very nice! I've been using a craftsman portable workbench, which is OK, but moves too much, especially when reloading 30-06. I may have to copy this! I like the modular design.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
Very nice! I've been using a craftsman portable workbench, which is OK, but moves too much, especially when reloading 30-06. I may have to copy this! I like the modular design.
i can stand on it (225lbs) and rock side to side and back and forth and the table does not budge. the top is 3 layers of OSB glued and screwed which is about 2 inches thick and the hardboard topper floats on top. The edge trim holds the topper in place.
Old 01-30-2017, 8:02 PM

Default My messy corner of the world

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 02-03-2017, 4:50 PM

Default Double Time!

ReLoading.jpg

I hate caliber changes.... keeps my 9mm and 40cal ready at all times!
Bench is a wood working bench from Harbor Freight.
Long range rifle reloading happens on a Lee Classic Turret behind me.
Turret press sits on a cabinet that is 36 inches tall and 5 feet wide that stores powder and primers. This is all in a space under the house that is 6 feet deep and 8 feet wide. Compact and functional.
Cw
Old 02-05-2017, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default 10 gallons of pool in a 5 gallon bucket

Just finished setting up my new 650 and cleaning out my side of the garage to make room for one more hobby.
Attachment 579442

Last edited by Chapped Hide; 01-10-2018 at 6:43 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 1:22 PM

Noob here with a home depot special:

Old 02-05-2017, 1:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapped Hide View Post
Just finished setting up my new 650 and cleaning out my side of the garage to make room for one more hobby.
Attachment 579442
I haven't had a "side" of the garage dictated to me by the boss yet, but I think it's only a matter of time.
Old 02-05-2017, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Tango View Post
I haven't had a "side" of the garage dictated to me by the boss yet, but I think it's only a matter of time.
Looks like you're well on your way to taking over the whole garage
Old 03-02-2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toklad View Post
i can stand on it (225lbs) and rock side to side and back and forth and the table does not budge. the top is 3 layers of OSB glued and screwed which is about 2 inches thick and the hardboard topper floats on top. The edge trim holds the topper in place.
By any chance did you take pictures on how you did your bench top? I need some good ideas for a strong top.

I built my first workbench, my Sister-in-law needed one so I gave her mine and now have to build a new one.

I was going to buy the Lowes Kobalt workbench, but its no longer on sale for $150. SO I'm going to build a new one. I learned a lot from my first one so my second one should be even more solid.
“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.”
― George Washington
Old 03-02-2017, 5:49 AM

Mine is a 2x4 frame, bolted into the wall studs on the back side, front legs are 4x4. The top is a sheet of 3/4 mdf screwed into the frame with a 3/4" nice veneered oak plywood glued on top. It's plenty strong and looks great. No screw holes. Eventually I'll finish it with corner trim on the edge so things can't roll off the bench. I think pictures are on the previous page.
We must be on calguns...
Old 03-02-2017, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_master87 View Post
By any chance did you take pictures on how you did your bench top? I need some good ideas for a strong top.

I built my first workbench, my Sister-in-law needed one so I gave her mine and now have to build a new one.

I was going to buy the Lowes Kobalt workbench, but its no longer on sale for $150. SO I'm going to build a new one. I learned a lot from my first one so my second one should be even more solid.
i didn't take any pics during the build, but here is the process and a few pics that may help. i used osb but you can use plywood also. I would use 1/2 or 3/4 inch osb/plywood depending on how thick you want it.

1. build the bottom bench structure.
2 lay the first piece of osb/plywood down and screw it to base structure.
3. put wood glue on osb plywood and place second layer on. then screw that layer down to the first layer.
3. put wood glue on second layer and place third layer on. then screw that layer down to second layer.
4. the last layer is hardboard. i used the thinner 1/8th thick hardboard. it does not get glued so it can be replaced as needed. it is held together by adding a trim around the table that extends 1/8th inch above the osb/plywood creating a pocket for the hardboard. you can use what ever you want for trim, i used furring strips. i've also used 1x4 cut down to 1x2 lengths as trim. i also put in a few screws just to keep the hardboard down on the corners. i used brown deck screws and countersunk them.

you can see the pic below of the 4 layers and a pic of the hardboard topper.

Last edited by toklad; 03-02-2017 at 7:38 AM..
Old 03-03-2017, 11:29 AM

Brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCIII View Post
After a few years of wanting a modular (of sorts) loading bench, I finally did it. Installed t-track so I can easily move, add new tools or remove without re-drilling holes. Just finished tonight and very pleased with results, especially first time using a router.

Here is a mock up of my presses on the bench. The goal is for each press to have its own base for mounting to tracks and allows for me to move around. When I don't need them, I can put away and lock up in cabinets.

I really like the Inline Fab mounts, while modular, but they are stationary. This is just how I wanted to have things. I know some may not see the need but just an option I prefer.

Here is a mock up of all presses mounted.
Old 03-17-2017, 6:47 PM

All cleaned up. New cabinets and lights. Ready to get back at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-19-2017, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Updated the reloading bench.

Converted Dillon Strongmount to Inline Fab quick change plates. Mounted a back piece and a holder for a press and dillon conversion.

It's a small workspace, but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 03-20-2017, 1:46 AM

Alright fellas, almost done with my workbench. Due to family visiting and also unexpected problems I'm almost done with it.
Started Friday, bought the lumber, particle board, nails
Cut most of the 2x4's, lined everything up and made sure it would fit.
Started putting it together Friday night, finished up on Saturday. Stained it today, only have one coat on it, I may just leave it as is.
I'll upload the final product once I put my top. 3 layers of particle board, plus another thin layer on top.

Side note, drill bits break really easily... either that or I was using too much force.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1.jpg (82.5 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2.jpg (84.8 KB, 276 views)
“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.”
― George Washington

Last edited by drift_master87; 04-13-2017 at 4:27 AM..
Old 03-20-2017, 4:58 PM

Default My reloading room

This is my new room after years of reloading in the garage. I still have more to move in from that garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (18.2 KB, 338 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 6:19 PM

Inline fabrication quick mount flush with no hangover. The router got away from me a bit but turned out ok. Spent some time figuring it out and didn't want it to stick out 1-1/2" past the table. So a bit of all thread and all thread couplings some jb weld and it's done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.1 KB, 319 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 6:20 PM

One more pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.0 KB, 307 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareform View Post
Inline fabrication quick mount flush with no hangover. The router got away from me a bit but turned out ok. Spent some time figuring it out and didn't want it to stick out 1-1/2" past the table. So a bit of all thread and all thread couplings some jb weld and it's done.
This guy did the same thing, as you, check how he did his bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCHiEYAYrk
Old 03-30-2017, 8:24 PM

I was looking online for ideas and never came across that guy. Sure would have saved me some time. Here I thought I was the 1st, always late to the party I guess.
Old 04-13-2017, 4:41 PM

recently picked up a harbor freight 60" work bench and ordered a dillon 650. just added the mec sizemaster today. somewhere down the line i plan i on picking up a 308 bolt action and will eventually pick up a single stage. from the looks of it i should be able to mount the single stage and still have room on the bench to work on or clean long guns.
Old 04-15-2017, 9:53 AM

Default Reloading Room

Escapees
Elks
Old 04-22-2017, 7:33 AM

xxx

Last edited by home_skillet; 11-16-2017 at 8:54 AM..
Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A work in progress with limited space

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_skillet View Post
Hey Bros...

Just got done with my setup. I finally upgraded from a Lee Turret to a Dillon 650.

-Home_Skillet
Shoot....now you gotta buy all new tool chests

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 9:09 PM

How do you like it so far. I just upgraded from a lee single stage to a lee turret. Lol maybe Dillon will be my next upgrade from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 8:52 AM

Lots of info on this thread to digest!

I'm working out the final details of the configuration on a 10x12 "Tuff Shed" that will be delivered in a couple of weeks and placed in my back yard. It will become my personal workshop, used 80% for reloading and firearm maintenance/smithing duties.

Right now I'm planning how to best utilize the space and I'm thinking that 2 walls will be lined with a 24" wide workbench (one 10' section and another 5' section).

At this point my biggest question is whether to have one section of bench at a "sitting" height (around 30") and another section of bench at a "standing" height (around 38"). I like to reload sitting down, but I also plan to use the space for other general projects that involve a drill press, bench grinder, etc. Having those mounted too low will drive me nuts.

Does anyone share their reloading bench with other workshop type duties?

Here's my first draft floor plan - another big question is whether I really need a 4' door or if I should just go with a 3' door. I am likely to be moving bicycles in and out (they will hang on the pegboard wall) but not many other large bulky items.

Old 04-27-2017, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
Lots of info on this thread to digest!

I'm working out the final details of the configuration on a 10x12 "Tuff Shed" that will be delivered in a couple of weeks and placed in my back yard. It will become my personal workshop, used 80% for reloading and firearm maintenance/smithing duties.

Right now I'm planning how to best utilize the space and I'm thinking that 2 walls will be lined with a 24" wide workbench (one 10' section and another 5' section).

At this point my biggest question is whether to have one section of bench at a "sitting" height (around 30") and another section of bench at a "standing" height (around 38"). I like to reload sitting down, but I also plan to use the space for other general projects that involve a drill press, bench grinder, etc. Having those mounted too low will drive me nuts.

Here's my first draft floor plan - another big question is whether I really need a 4' door or if I should just go with a 3' door. I am likely to be moving bicycles in and out (they will hang on the pegboard wall) but not many other large bulky items.

My workbench is bar height. easy solution to your issue is to get a shop stool that is bar height. I too like to reload sitting down and standing up.

Just my 2cents.

-Home_Skillet
Old 04-27-2017, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
No, my reloading bench does NOT share duties with anything else in the garage. Too easy to pile things on the reloading bench and make mistakes later.

When I do other work, I have a wooden dowel with a old cloth shower curtain on it that I place around the reloading bench, 1. to prevent saw dust or bondo/paint or other dust from getting on the bench and 2. to prevent sparks from welding from getting to the powder Although all powder is in its container and other things that could go boom are protected when welding or plasma cutting or grinding metal

I don't want any contamination with my welding bench so its a dedicated bench

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member

Last edited by mikeyr; 04-27-2017 at 9:52 AM..
Old 04-27-2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuck007 View Post
How do you like it so far. I just upgraded from a lee single stage to a lee turret. Lol maybe Dillon will be my next upgrade from there.

Hey Bro,

I too started with a Lee Single Stage and learned all the basics. Then moved on to the Classic Turret and got a little faster. I was considering the Load Master and a friend of mine convinced me to just go with the Dillon 650 and be done with it. It really is a nice machine. My Dad had one in the early 90's but I was to young to even know the value of it or understand. I just did the case prep as a part of my chores around the house.

I really do love the 650 and it loads so fast when you got a good roll. It's great that I already had many of my dies and accessories for reloading so I didn't have to spend on that anymore. I bought my unit in 223 so the shell plate was ready to go. The initial cost ran me about 560.00 plus tax. A local store had them in stock that I frequent. I bought the case feeder for about 230.00 the following week. The machine itself is super simple to set up. You'll be happy if you get yourself a 650. just my 2 cents. hope this helps.

-Home_Skillet
Old 04-27-2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_skillet View Post
Hey Bro,

I too started with a Lee Single Stage and learned all the basics. Then moved on to the Classic Turret and got a little faster. I was considering the Load Master and a friend of mine convinced me to just go with the Dillon 650 and be done with it. It really is a nice machine. My Dad had one in the early 90's but I was to young to even know the value of it or understand. I just did the case prep as a part of my chores around the house.

I really do love the 650 and it loads so fast when you got a good roll. It's great that I already had many of my dies and accessories for reloading so I didn't have to spend on that anymore. I bought my unit in 223 so the shell plate was ready to go. The initial cost ran me about 560.00 plus tax. A local store had them in stock that I frequent. I bought the case feeder for about 230.00 the following week. The machine itself is super simple to set up. You'll be happy if you get yourself a 650. just my 2 cents. hope this helps.

-Home_Skillet

Right on! Yeah that helps me out a lot. I will definitely check that out for later on it looks like a sweet setup. Or I could just buy it and tell the wife look what I won. Lol!! Thanks a lot!

Old 04-28-2017, 12:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Tango View Post
Noob here with a home depot special:

My kind of bench everything is RCBS green.
Old 05-03-2017, 3:47 PM

New to the group. Figured id show off my bench. Kinda cramped in small garage but works for now.

Old 05-25-2017, 2:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Default My bench

Small condo closet to reloading workstation. Work in progress.

Old 05-27-2017, 4:47 PM

Just finished installing a few more Pieces. Coming together slowly.

Old 05-27-2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierAJL View Post
Just finished installing a few more Pieces. Coming together slowly.

Looks great
Old 05-28-2017, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Dont think I ever posted my new setup. Got my bench setup in the garage and my new dillon mounted. Can't wait to get some rounds coming out of it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Kind of ghetto, but it works pretty well so far. Have the vice so I can change out from trimming to throwing powder. Bench was too small to mount everything. I also have an RCBS digital scale not shown.

The bench is a surface plate stand work was going to throw out so I made a redwood base with oak plywood over it. Casters are from mc MasterCarr as are the knife edge inserts. I made the pressmount on a drill press from scrap material we had in machine shop at work. Work light on the side also has a magnifier think I got it from grainger. Have a Lyman tumbler as well. I used 3/8-16 bolts and washer to mount the vice. 1/4-20 screws and washers for the press.

I plan on selling this house eventually so I wanted something I could roll onto a moving truck. I think I'd say mission accomplished in that regard. It ismoveable and super sturdy, which is what I was going for.

Let me know your thoughts! I still need a way to better organize bullets and accessories. We were going to check out the container store, or IKEA or something.

Last edited by 17+1; 08-04-2018 at 1:15 PM..
Old 06-09-2017, 5:03 AM
Veteran Member

17+1, that looks awesome, it works and prefect for someone with not a lot of available space. Love the light and the way you mounted everything.....i bet one day with a little paint or molding it would look even nicer but honestly, pretty cool as it is.