Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 05-11-2009, 8:09 PM

Question Driver's Licenses, Scan or Photocopy?

I know that some small dealers do not scan the DL during the DROS process, they make a copy and enter the info during the DROS submission. What determines which dealers scan, and which take photocopies?
Old 05-11-2009, 8:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am a small dealer. I use the latest technology available to me to keep costs down, but with driver's licenses, I do both. I want a color copy of it so I can make sure that the person who comes to pick up the firearm is the very same who DROS'd it. In the very few weeks I've been open, I done over 60 transactions and as such can lose track very easy.

The Scan saves me mega time when with a customer and having 4 others in wait.

It's very easy and safer to have both IMHO.

Golden State Tactical <---click here >

An FORMER Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 9:04 PM

If you are talking about swiping it through the card reader. I thought it was required. I still make a photocopy for every DROS. It's easier if I missing some info.
Mike
Old 05-11-2009, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCArmory View Post
If you are talking about swiping it through the card reader. I thought it was required. I still make a photocopy for every DROS. It's easier if I missing some info.
Mike
CADOJ FAQ:

Quote:
How can I comply with the requirement to capture the purchaser's DMV information using a magnetic card swipe reader if the reader malfunctions or the stripe on the back of the card is defective?

If your DOJ-issued magnetic card swipe reader malfunctions or if the purchaser's DMV card's magnetic stripe is defective, you may manually enter the information using your keyboard. Additionally, you must retain a photocopy of the purchaser's DMV card along with the original DROS.

Why do I have to swipe the card prior to delivery of a firearm sold at a gun show instead of making a photocopy of the purchaser's DMV card as discussed in the answer to question number two?

Penal Code section 12077(f)(2) specifically authorizes dealer's to obtain a photocopy of the purchaser's DMV card in the event the card cannot be swiped through the reader due to technical limitations. However, there exist no statutory/legal exemption from this requirement for transactions that occur at gun shows

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-12-2009, 6:38 AM

OK, from what I see dealers can do either (scan or photocopy) or both. Just not crazy about leaving copies of a license with every purchase. One guy I know does not scan, he just copies the license and keeps it with the other docs.
Old 05-12-2009, 7:17 AM

I've stopped lots of merchants from scanning my DL and told them they can only take a copy of it.There's way too much personal info they don't need to know & have access to in these days of identity theft ,PC 459's and PC 213's .
Old 05-12-2009, 8:11 PM

The way I read it was I had to make an attempt to swipe it. If that doesn't work than a photocopy will suffice.
Mike
Old 05-12-2009, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCArmory View Post
The way I read it was I had to make an attempt to swipe it. If that doesn't work than a photocopy will suffice.
Mike
Thats what my DOJ inspector said a few weeks ago. He said alot of the card readers dont work and said copying was fine.

Corona, Ca
NRA Life Member
FFL

Gun Control is like treating the symptom, not the disease. Gun laws only restrict people who obey the law.
Old 05-17-2009, 9:35 PM

When you are at my shop,you get to watch the scanned driver's license populate the fields. The info on the DL mag strip is exactly the same info that is on the front. We have to fill in the rest by hand. I scan and copy as there is no need for you or I to wait while you or I type the info in. The magstrip is there for convenience only. All other ideas of why the state has it is just plain

Golden State Tactical <---click here >

An FORMER Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 3:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I swipe and copy also. I swipe when I do the DROS, and the copy stays with my records.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 AM

swipe AND copy everytime. There's no such thing as too much documentation when it comes to dealer records and retaining your licenses.

There's no way for DOJ to know if you swiped or not since the card reader is simply a form of keyboard that enters data contained on the mag-stripe. The data on that stripe is merely an electronic form of what is printed on the front. No more. So no identity theft fears...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr83jp View Post
I've stopped lots of merchants from scanning my DL and told them they can only take a copy of it.There's way too much personal info they don't need to know & have access to in these days of identity theft ,PC 459's and PC 213's .

Haha, I sure would give you a funny look.

Same **** is on the front. If you don't let me scan it then I have to manually enter all of it. Would you rather just have me scan it and not even notice whats on it, or type every last digit in?