Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Not at all, although I get stupid comments like this fairly often - and I was using, building, designing, and programming computers before most people had ever even seen one, much less owned. Smartfones are stupid. They're outrageously expensive to acquire, outrageously expensive to feed (Monthly bill$$$$), they're a jack of all trades and master of none. Too big to be a fone, too small (and limited) to be a computer. I pay $15/mo for my fone (that I charge once a week), and use a real computer - with a real display and a real keyboard - for online stuff as well as the various computing tasks that arise that you'll never do on a smartfone. Incidentally, my flip can be dropped 6 feet onto concrete, be submerged for 30 minutes, withstand extreme temps and dirt, etc, etc - unlike a smartfone that will break if you drop it 3 inches onto a pillow!

I'd guess that 95% of the people who have one really don't need one, its a status symbol for many. The Telcos have a racket - they charge $400 to $1,000 for one of these useless devices - AND they have everyone convinced that they need to DO IT AGAIN every 2 years while paying $80/mo for the privilege. People are too dumb to figure out they're being rooked for a luxury item they really don't need.

Oh, although I do have a VCR here somewhere, we pulled the plug on another $80+/mo money pit: Cable TV. TiVo et al, was the ultimate stupidity. Stupid Americans will pay good money to have a pseudo-"service" to program their VCR replacement to record a bunch of overpriced crap.
I'm 68 if single I probably would have a flip phone and the cheapest basic tv cable but high sopeed internet for my home built PC.

But being married with children (got married really late at 58) I need a smart phone as my wife always uses chat, Whats App, needs me to take photos and send them to her or I need her to send me photos (searching for things for her and the kids while shopping etc).
I also need constant access to email for bills, statements, doctor's appointments, other info like swimming lessons for the kids, soccer games, tumbling times, karate times, cub scouts etc...
So I have a Note 8. Big enough for my fat fingers...

But, again, if I were single I would have no need for any of that.. I'd probably just drink a lot of Jim Beam sitting in front of a smaller screen tv or my PC listening to my MP3's.. And wouldn't care or worry about a thing.
Old 08-24-2018, 2:21 PM
Banned

My life pretty much runs on email - and a computer works just fine for that. I don't need to check my email every 5 minutes of every day.
Old 08-24-2018, 5:06 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 4... Another old guy.

Last edited by Rem222; 08-24-2018 at 5:09 PM..
Old 08-26-2018, 9:38 AM

Looks like MetroPCS is coming up with a new Alcatel 7...might have to upgrade from my Zmax Pro.

Alcatel and MetroPCS today announced the Alcatel 7, a large Android phone that focuses on entertainment. The Alcatel 7 has a 6-inch, full HD+ screen at a 2:1 aspect ratio. Alcatel says it kept the bezels to a minimum. The phone is powered by an octa-core MediaTek MT6763T processor with 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. Alcatel opted for a dual-camera system on the rear with a 12-megapixel main sensor and a 2-megapixel depth sensor to provide features such as bokeh and re-focus. The front-facing 8-megapixel camera boasts its own, dedicated selfie flash. Other hardware features include a fingerprint reader, Face Key unlocking, 4,000mAh battery with rapid charging, and support for microSD memory cards. On the software front, the Alcatel 7 runs Android 8.1 Oreo and includes Alcatel's CloserTV app, which is a single place for users to watch their favorite online streaming services and cable TV content. Alcatel says users can log in to their various video providers via this one app and then cast it to their TV. MetroPCS is selling the Alcatel 7 beginning today for $180. Customers who port their number to MetroPCS and subscribe to an unlimited plan can get the Alcatel 7 for free. Customers who open a new line of service or have an upgrade can get the phone for $129.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Telcos have a racket - they charge $400 to $1,000 for one of these useless devices - AND they have everyone convinced that they need to DO IT AGAIN every 2 years while paying $80/mo for the privilege.
My phone was $150 and it's given good service for over 3 years. That's about $4/month.

We pay $45/month for service (Consumer Cellular) which includes unlimited talk and text on *3* phones, mine, wifes, and moms. So that $15 per phone per month.

My mom has out of state friends she talks to a lot and the long distance bill on her land line was way more than what we pay for cell service and she can talk all day for no extra charge. So mom saves money by having a cell phone instead of using land line.
Old 08-27-2018, 7:16 AM

'Droid clone.
Old 08-27-2018, 7:48 AM

Note 5. i got screwed in the whole Note 7 debacle, kind of made me want to stop upgrading my phones until they really needed it. Im hoping I can get a Note 8 in a couple months with my extended warranty. T-mobile charges $5 to replace your phone if it has a hardware issue
Old 08-27-2018, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

iPhone 8 Plus ATT.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:21 AM

Samsung S7. I do not recommend this phone. I have to multi task with this piece (phone, text, email, GPS tracking for trucks) and it just doesn't like it. Freezes between screens, slow to open different functions (especially text). The touch and swipe function is irritatingly inconsistent. I know it's older but just in case you were thinking about it.

1.5/7 Would not recommend
Old 08-29-2018, 9:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
My phone was $150 and it's given good service for over 3 years. That's about $4/month.

We pay $45/month for service (Consumer Cellular) which includes unlimited talk and text on *3* phones, mine, wifes, and moms. So that $15 per phone per month.

My mom has out of state friends she talks to a lot and the long distance bill on her land line was way more than what we pay for cell service and she can talk all day for no extra charge. So mom saves money by having a cell phone instead of using land line.
You're doing better than most. I too am paying $15/mo with Consumer Cellular, great company. I just had to buy a new fone - my $30 Consumer Cellular flip started acting flaky after about 4 years, so I bought a Samsung Rugby 4 rugged flip which is everything I'd ever want in a fone - and more - without the stupid smartfone nonsense. I'm really hoping I get 10 years out of it like I did an old Motorola flip years back.

The best fone I ever had was a Panasonic bag fone - that I used for 18 years. I'd still be using it except "they" turned off the old analog cell service!

We got rid of the land line (and Cable TV!) several years ago.
Old 08-29-2018, 5:24 PM

Note 9. Been almost a week with it and only gripe is that Bixby button you cannot turn off or change. Came from an iPhone X and liked that, just wanted a change.

Get your power armor as fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Old 08-30-2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
My life pretty much runs on email - and a computer works just fine for that. I don't need to check my email every 5 minutes of every day.
I miss those days. Clients are so demanding anymore that 5 minutes is excessive.
Old 08-30-2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
...without the stupid smartfone nonsense...
I can see why the functionality is unnecessary for some, in my line of work, having a flashlight, calculator, camera, navigation, calendar, direct line of communication to coworkers and clients, etc. in one device is invaluable. For me, this is worth at least 5x what I pay, but let's not share that with Verizon.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 PM

So MetroPCS has officially been rebranded to Metro By T-Mobile. They will now offer unlimited plans starting with $50 a month. The $60 plan gets you unlimited everything with 15GB hotspot and amazon prime/google one memberships.
Old 10-04-2018, 6:59 PM
Banned

Ouch! That's expensive! Granted, cheaper than some, but I can't see paying $50/mo for fone.
Old 10-04-2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Ouch! That's expensive! Granted, cheaper than some, but I can't see paying $50/mo for fone.
They will still have $30 and $40 plans with 5GB/10GB LTE data. I'm on a $40 promo plan right now with 6GB LTE and I won't mind the extra 4GB upgrade
Old 10-09-2018, 12:31 AM

Iphone 7 plus. Not bad. Im always behind on the iphone game. Ill get the X 5 yrs from now..
Old 10-09-2018, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
Note 9. Been almost a week with it and only gripe is that Bixby button you cannot turn off or change. Came from an iPhone X and liked that, just wanted a change.
Download bxactions. This app allows you to remap the button including disabling bixby access.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 10-09-2018, 3:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
They will still have $30 and $40 plans with 5GB/10GB LTE data. I'm on a $40 promo plan right now with 6GB LTE and I won't mind the extra 4GB upgrade
I'm paying $15/mo, which is about right for a fone as far as I'm concerned!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Alexander Graham Bell autograph model crank phone no dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
Looks like MetroPCS is coming up with a new Alcatel 7...might have to upgrade from my Zmax Pro.

Alcatel and MetroPCS today announced the Alcatel 7, a large Android phone that focuses on entertainment. The Alcatel 7 has a 6-inch, full HD+ screen at a 2:1 aspect ratio. Alcatel says it kept the bezels to a minimum. The phone is powered by an octa-core MediaTek MT6763T processor with 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. Alcatel opted for a dual-camera system on the rear with a 12-megapixel main sensor and a 2-megapixel depth sensor to provide features such as bokeh and re-focus. The front-facing 8-megapixel camera boasts its own, dedicated selfie flash. Other hardware features include a fingerprint reader, Face Key unlocking, 4,000mAh battery with rapid charging, and support for microSD memory cards. On the software front, the Alcatel 7 runs Android 8.1 Oreo and includes Alcatel's CloserTV app, which is a single place for users to watch their favorite online streaming services and cable TV content. Alcatel says users can log in to their various video providers via this one app and then cast it to their TV. MetroPCS is selling the Alcatel 7 beginning today for $180. Customers who port their number to MetroPCS and subscribe to an unlimited plan can get the Alcatel 7 for free. Customers who open a new line of service or have an upgrade can get the phone for $129.
I might do the same, What does it cost for you and me, an existing unlimited plan customer. I think I remember them saying something about being able to upgrade to the next model for free when they come out, or something like that. Does that sound right? I might have to call them and find out for sure. update.. The reviews on that Alcatel 7 do not look great, but I will compare to the phone I got now, if it can out perform, I might switch.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 10-21-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Old 10-31-2018, 3:45 PM

Galaxy S8, disabled Bixby, use Samsung pay whenever possible. Amazing display. Virgin mobile @35/mo.
Old 10-31-2018, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Still using an Apple 4S......

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 10-31-2018, 6:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

sm-g930vb or s7

my job pays for it, otherwise i'd have an old phone they will only bust for the models that are not the most expensive, so we have to choose whatever we want from the year before. if you want a $1000 phone, you can pay the difference.

i don't really even ask.
if i mention to my boss that my cellphone battery is going, the helpdesk will email me the next day asking me to choose a new one.
he doesn't want to be unable to reach me.

Last edited by theLBC; 10-31-2018 at 6:27 PM..