Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Default Magazine Modification - Legal??

I recently moved back to CA from AZ and need to buy CA-legal magazines for my handguns that came with standard magazines when I bought them in AZ. If you are alive and breathing, you know how hard it is to find 10-round magazines just about anywhere right now. So, my question is this: can I modify the factory magazines that came with my handguns to hold/accept no more than 10 rounds? I have a feeling it is legal since you can buy Magpul 10/30 magazines, but am not sure because I don't know how the conversion is made (aka permanently affixed somehow?). Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter as I am beginning to have shooting withdrawals...
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Yes, completely legal to do it yourself. You will have to make the modification "permanent" so usually, it is welding or otherwise attaching a rod under the mag plate to prevent it going down past 10 rounds then using plastiweld (or other cement if the mag is plastic) to seal the bottom door of the mag shut. I've also seen pop rivets used through the body of the mag, but they often interfere with the travel of the mag spring and can cause feeding issues.
Old 01-16-2013, 2:38 PM
Banned

There's much speculation as to what is permanent. I would do some research before JB welding your base plates.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:39 PM

It would be easier for you to trade your disassembled standard capacity magazines for 10 round mags. Im sure you can find someone here in the classifieds.
Old 01-17-2013, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
It would be easier for you to trade your disassembled standard capacity magazines for 10 round mags. Im sure you can find someone here in the classifieds.
I don't want to part with my magazine repair/rebuild kits though. Gonna need those parts at some point in my life.
Old 01-17-2013, 9:33 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
can I modify
Not illegal.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just disassemble them and get yourself some new 10 rounders.
Old 01-17-2013, 1:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Good luck with that.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

i can tell you one thing about jb weld. i "jb welded" my base plates on a couple 30 rounders and made them permanent and thought to myself, i wonder if i can remove them?

well, i took them out and looked at the work i did and couldn't even imagine how i can remove the baseplate without destroying the whole bottom section.

i put jb on the lip around the whole baseplate and covered the whole button on the very base.

according to their website, you can grind it or file it off OR you can heat it to 600 degrees F. problem is getting to lip section of the baseplate to do any filing or grinding and im sure you cant heat up the plastic to 600 degrees.

i say its permanent.

Old 01-20-2013, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 View Post
Good luck with that.
That's why I was asking about modding my mags. Knowing now though that it has to be permanent, I won't be doing it to my mags. Gonna hunt down new 10 rounders...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumoba View Post
i can tell you one thing about jb weld. i "jb welded" my base plates on a couple 30 rounders and made them permanent and thought to myself, i wonder if i can remove them?

well, i took them out and looked at the work i did and couldn't even imagine how i can remove the baseplate without destroying the whole bottom section.

i put jb on the lip around the whole baseplate and covered the whole button on the very base.

according to their website, you can grind it or file it off OR you can heat it to 600 degrees F. problem is getting to lip section of the baseplate to do any filing or grinding and im sure you cant heat up the plastic to 600 degrees.

i say its permanent.
LOL I've known guys who have repaired cracked engine blocks with JB Weld. No way you're going to remove the base plate after using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytoast916 View Post
That's why I was asking about modding my mags. Knowing now though that it has to be permanent, I won't be doing it to my mags. Gonna hunt down new 10 rounders...
Like I said there is much debate on what is permanent. Check it out and decide for yourself. With times like these it may have to be done to a couple of your mags.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Definitely tough to find 10 round magazines online anywhere recently. That said I went to my LGS the other day to put an M9A1 in jail and they had a variety of magazines on their shelf. Was able to buy two more for my Glock 17 and four for the M9A1 (all they had ). So you might want to shop around locally in CA and see what you can find as they are more likely to have stock.

NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)

“The man in black fled into the desert and the gunslinger followed.”

“For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Matthew 16:26)
Old 01-20-2013, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
This ^

Modding a regular capacity magazine to hold 10 rounds without the ability to convert it back is just plain stupid at this point. Depending on what the feds do, all "hi-cap" mags will be worth much more than what you paid for them. Just take them apart and keep looking for 10 rounders.
Old 01-20-2013, 2:51 PM

Try the manufacture for the ten round magazines. Most online shops are out of about everything. If need call the Manufacture Customer Service Number and state your cause on how you want to enjoy their product in this state. If anyone can put you on a back order list they can.