Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-22-2018, 11:33 PM

Default G22 9mm conversion barrel ejection issues

Hey guys so I have a lone wolf 9mm barrel and I have about 30% ejection issues. I read that you have to change it to 9mm ejector AND extractor, and some people saying just the ejector. If I do this conversion, how will it affect it when I use the 9mm ejector and extractor when I want to shoot 40? Keep in mind this is just a range gun, not for self defense

I stumbled on this video on youtube saying you shouldn't change out the 40 ejector because "you will get strikes on the primers and it will cause an unsafe situation" on the video posted by TFB TV
Old 05-01-2018, 1:31 AM

anyone?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:04 PM

The unsafe issue is that when racking a round out of the chamber, some ppl have experienced the primer being struck. This is very rare.

As for your ejection issues I'm interested too. someone should be by a have some info. many ppl report better stats than yours from my reading
Old 05-01-2018, 11:24 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Use the right ejector for the caliber. The trigger housing w/ejector is a $5 part and takes a few extra seconds to swap in. If you are going to swap in and out a different caliber barrel, take the time to swap in and out a new trigger housing at the same time.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 05-03-2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Use the right ejector for the caliber. The trigger housing w/ejector is a $5 part and takes a few extra seconds to swap in. If you are going to swap in and out a different caliber barrel, take the time to swap in and out a new trigger housing at the same time.
What about the extractor? Would I need to change that also? or just keep the stock 40 one?
Old 05-03-2018, 8:05 AM

I too would like to know if the extractor change is necessary.

To me, it makes sense to change the ejector becuse dimensionally, the 9mm ejector in a G22 hits the case in the same spot as a G17.

But the extractor is different. The .40 breech face is wider than the 9mm, so whichever extractor is in place in a G22 would be sitting a little further from center......so a 9mm extractor in a G22 is not dimensionally grabbing a case in the same manner as a G17.

So, is it necessary to change? I think it may be a matter of which extractor works better.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcrew View Post
But the extractor is different. The .40 breech face is wider than the 9mm, so whichever extractor is in place in a G22 would be sitting a little further from center......so a 9mm extractor in a G22 is not dimensionally grabbing a case in the same manner as a G17.

So, is it necessary to change? I think it may be a matter of which extractor works better.
The breech face does not locate the extractor.
If the breech face were locating the extractor, it would not seem to matter which one you use.

The extractor is located by the cut in the slide though.
The length of the extractor claw is different based on the diameter of the case head.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 05-03-2018, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

I had a Glock 23 for a long time. Picked up a used complete Glock 19 upper assembly (barrel, slide, etc.). Didnt change the ejector or anything on the frame. Slapped the Glock 19 "upper" on the Glock 23 "lower" and it ran just fine, never had any issues, put hundreds of rounds through it. Seemed to work just fine with the .40 cal ejector.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 05-04-2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The breech face does not locate the extractor.
If the breech face were locating the extractor, it would not seem to matter which one you use.

The extractor is located by the cut in the slide though.
The length of the extractor claw is different based on the diameter of the case head.
Sort of does.

Breach face on a G22 measures about .430".
Breach face on a G17 measures about .395".

In both cases, the extractor cutout starts at the end of the breach face plane.
...so on a G22 whether a 9mm or .40 extractor is used, it still sits further away from center than a G17.

Just my observation. I have a G22 with a 9mm conversion barrel. Bought a 9mm extractor as well. Will have to measure the inside hook length on both. It would stand to reason that one with a longer hook, if one is longer, would work better.
Old 07-14-2018, 4:18 PM

My gunsmith told me this combination has a lot of issues. Buy a glock 19 or 17.
Old 07-14-2018, 5:19 PM

So far I've tried the following in a G22:

Conversion barrel, G22 ejector, G22 extractor.
Conversion barrel, G17 ejector, G17 extractor with G17 spring loaded bearing.
Conversion barrel, G17 ejector, G22 extractor with G22 spring loaded bearing.

All combinations had weak extraction, most noticeably the last round barely making it out of the ejection port.

Did a tension test with both G17 and G22 extractors.

The G22 extractor with the G22 spring loaded bearing grabbed the case with most tension. (G22 spring loaded bearing is thicker, lending to more spring tension.)

Like I mentioned in an above post, because the location of the extractor cutout is further away from the center than a G17, I don't think it matters what extractor is in place because the hook will always be further away from center.

I think that the next step would be extractor tuning, stoning the inside pad of the extractor so that the hook sits closer to center.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I also had a G22 with a Lone Wolf 9mm Barrel.
The issues I had with it were ammo related - the thing liked hot ammo.
You didn't mention if you had tried several manufactures so, just an assumption.
What worked well for me was 124 grain Winchester "nato" ammo, or most 124 grain ammo.
as for ejection, it would eject higher and weaker than the 40SW ammo. You could often feel the empty case's hitting the top of your head (ball cap) when shooting it.
I liked it, so I ended up buying a G19 and getting rid of the barrel.

*edit* - Forgot to mention I used the stock G22 spring, ejector, and extractor.

Last edited by fty; 07-24-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Old 07-24-2018, 3:31 AM

Alright so I changed the ejector with a 9mm and it jams. I haven't tried different ammo but I will try 124 grain next time.
But last time I was at the range, it was jamming after every shot. I clear it then shoot again and it jams

Attached a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180724-032401_QuickPic.jpg (86.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-25-2018, 4:55 PM

Picture looks like a failure to feed, correct? Im not an expert but with your milled slide you may want to use a reduced power recoil spring... or increase the grip power on your glock.
Experts, please don't flame me if im wrong.
Old 08-07-2018, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

No issues with the LW conversion barrel for my Glock 22...and this is with the factory 40 extractor/ejector and recoil spring. Eats up all 9mm I feed it. Expect to have 9mm brass eject towards your face as long as you do your part and not limp wrist it.

shuttlecock
Old 08-07-2018, 9:31 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btort27 View Post
Alright so I changed the ejector with a 9mm and it jams. I haven't tried different ammo but I will try 124 grain next time.
But last time I was at the range, it was jamming after every shot. I clear it then shoot again and it jams

Attached a picture
That is a failure to feed not an ejection problem. What magazine and follower are you using? And you are also using an aftermarket slide? So what other aftermarket parts are you running? Tolerance issues are stacking up... good luck.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-07-2018 at 9:34 PM..
Old 08-08-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
That is a failure to feed not an ejection problem. What magazine and follower are you using? And you are also using an aftermarket slide? So what other aftermarket parts are you running? Tolerance issues are stacking up... good luck.
I'm using a Glock 17 magazine (you think this is the issue? My brother got it on eBay) and everything is oem besides the barrel from the overpriced glockstore. My slide is my original G22, just had some slide work done to it. Any other ideas why it would have failure to feed?
Old 08-09-2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
anyone?
What video?

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Old 08-21-2018, 12:04 AM

Anyone?
Old 08-21-2018, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Anyone?
What video?

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Old 08-22-2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv3062 View Post
What video?
Sorry lol
A video posted by TFB TV on YouTube, saying you shouldn't switch the 40 ejector. I actually don't have a video for my issue
Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
I had a Glock 23 for a long time. Picked up a used complete Glock 19 upper assembly (barrel, slide, etc.). Didnt change the ejector or anything on the frame. Slapped the Glock 19 "upper" on the Glock 23 "lower" and it ran just fine, never had any issues, put hundreds of rounds through it. Seemed to work just fine with the .40 cal ejector.
LIGHTCAV, I want to ask a question about a post you made about a Glock 23 with a G19 upper that ran fine. I'm thinking of getting a drop-in Zev 9mm barrel for my G23.
Any hiccups you know of with this? I'd appreciate any feedback you have. My issue with using a G19 upper is that my G23 is on my CCW.
Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited by Hahtrod; 09-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: BTW, I'd use the conversion for just range practice.