Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Default suggestion on how to remove stuck takedown detent without removing castle nut

Hi, I have a bit problem with my AR-15 rifle. I was trying to replace the rear takedown pin without removing the castle nut. Normally, it's pretty easy, I get a holder to hold in the detent, then slide in the new pin. Well, this time I was too careless and the new pin slipped as it was sliding in. So the detent came out... well not totally out. As the picture shows, the detent is stuck across the round opening for the takedown pin. Part of the detent is still in its hole, and the spring pressure pins the front end. I tried to pry the detent out to no avail since I think too much of the detent is still inside. And so far, I could get anything in the front end to push the detent back. Any suggestion on how to remove or push back the detent?
I know if nothing works I can always loosen the castle nut and end plate to fix this. But this rifle has a very nicely staked castle nut, and I don't want to take it off if I don't have to. So, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2018, 1:10 PM

Ultra small needle nose pliers, see if you can move it back enough to slip something in front of it.
Old 09-02-2018, 1:13 PM

Ahhh yes. I've been there before. The solution was pretty simple. I used a piece of 1/4" rod and inserted it from the opposite side. Push it all the way through until it stops against the detent pin. Then I used a mini flathead screw driver and pulled the pin back so the rod will go all the way through.

So now the rod should be going through both holes of the receiver. Butt up the take down pin against the rod and then push on the take down pin so it pushes out the rod. Dont go slow or else the detent pin will fall inbetween the rod/take down pin. Just butt it up and push it out. The detent pin will glide over the gap.

Dont worry about the take down pin orientation. Just get it in and then rotate it until the detwnt pin drops into the slot. Hope you can picture the process. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Ultra small needle nose pliers, see if you can move it back enough to slip something in front of it.
This ^^^

Needlenose pliers to move it back far enough to slip in the edge/corner of a razorblade to push it all the way back.
Want To Sell
Springfield Professional 1911
Samson 12" Handguard, AR15, Cerakote FDE
Old 09-02-2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
Ahhh yes. I've been there before. The solution was pretty simple. I used a piece of 1/4" rod and inserted it from the opposite side. Push it all the way through until it stops against the detent pin. Then I used a mini flathead screw driver and pulled the pin back so the rod will go all the way through.

So now the rod should be going through both holes of the receiver. Butt up the take down pin against the rod and then push on the take down pin so it pushes out the rod. Dont go slow or else the detent pin will fall inbetween the rod/take down pin. Just butt it up and push it out. The detent pin will glide over the gap.

Dont worry about the take down pin orientation. Just get it in and then rotate it until the detwnt pin drops into the slot. Hope you can picture the process. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
I did this method using the pin itself. Insert the takedown pin from the opposite end to butt up against the retainer-pin without trapping it with lateral pressure. I used a flat head before, but the best tool was an old chinese ear wax scooper thing.
Old 09-02-2018, 1:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the suggested methods are what I would suggest but maybe next time you might want to read the Armors manual on the M4 they have two special tools with pints to make them in the back of the book. these tools allow you to depress the detent and push out the pin while using a slave pin and to reinstall the pin.

Knowledge is power
Old 09-02-2018, 1:51 PM

Thatís pretty easy to deal with. You got some solutions above...
Old 09-02-2018, 2:08 PM

You guys are the godsend. I thought to use a needle nosed plier, but I don't have those small tip ones that fits in the hole. So I used Dooder's suggestion with a similar sized straight hex key. In 5 minutes, what had bugged me for 2 days was solved. Thanks so much.