Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-10-2020, 10:46 AM

I hope all you guys that are getting approved are joining the San Diego county gun owners; proof that 2A activism can work if we get involved
Old 02-10-2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
Has anyone gone through renewal recently? How far in advance should you schedule an appointment?
Yes... I recently did it. You should call about 30 days before your permit expires. They will make your appointment on (or as close to) the expiration date as possible. That way you get the full 2 years out of your permit.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:18 PM

This came as Private Message. So, I thoughts others could benefit from my experience with the renewal process:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333
Hi there,

Saw your reply on the renewal you did recently; hope you don’t mind asking this, on the GC statement, do you have to resubmit everything again or could you state same as initial application? Nothing has changed on mine.

Also, do you take the training first or after the approval just as the initial app? Thank you in advance.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you basically fill out the entire application again (obviously with the correct corresponding updated information). For the GC (If nothings changed) - use the same one.

Yes, you take the qualification class before the appointment. It must with 30 or less of the appointment date.

If your record is still clean and there's been no major changes, it's all easy.

They do take new fingerprints and pictures and basically do a background check (with all the appropriate agencies) right there in front of you.

If all is good, the permit is issued right then. The whole process takes about 1 hour. They are very helpful and through. Bring more documents (ie; proofs of residence etc) and your'll be good.

Don't forget to ask questions, if you have any.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by GlockUnCut; 03-08-2020 at 1:08 PM..
Old 02-14-2020, 6:56 AM

Called for my interview: 6/27/19
First interview date: 6/26/2020
First interview changed to: 11/20/2019 (did second interview as well)
Received approval letter: 2/12/2020
8 Hour CCW Class at DGM: 2/13/2020
Have permit in my hand: 2/14/2020
Old 02-14-2020, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACRO View Post
Congrats!
Old 02-14-2020, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Yes... I recently did it. You should call about 30 days before your permit expires. They will make your appointment on (or as close to) the expiration date as possible. That way you get the full 2 years out of your permit.
Thanks for taking the time to answer this.
Old 02-14-2020, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Congratulations. Nice to hear you were prepared at your first interview and bypassed having to schedule a second appt. If you don't mind - please share how you knew to prepare so as to help others possibly streamline the process.
Old 02-14-2020, 8:05 AM

One of my colleagues told me the process.
Along with your application, good cause, etc., bring 2 proofs of residency, 2 months pay stubs, and a credit card or cash for your fingerprints and background check.
Old 02-14-2020, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Congrats and welcome to the club, thatís a nice Valentine Day gift!

Old 02-14-2020, 8:12 AM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
One of my colleagues told me the process.
Along with your application, good cause, etc., bring 2 proofs of residency, 2 months pay stubs, and a credit card or cash for your fingerprints and background check.

Did you use your job for GC? The reason I am asking because you listed paystubs.

Old 02-14-2020, 8:32 AM

I did not use my job as my good cause but because of where I work, the times I work, and the profession I have, it puts me at a greater risk.
Old 02-14-2020, 8:52 AM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
I did not use my job as my good cause but because of where I work, the times I work, and the profession I have, it puts me at a greater risk.

Thanks. These questions were to help other folks build their GC.
Mine was similar to yours I think, the location and time I travel to and from and the equipment I daily carry for work.
I donít recall having to provide paystubs but I did have to give them my work ID, copies of hotel receipts, equipment list, etc...

Last edited by LoadedM333; 02-14-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-19-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
This came as Private Message. So, I thoughts others could benefit from my experience with the renewal process:

Yes, you basically fill out the entire application again (obviously with the correct corresponding updated information). For the GC (If nothings changed) - use the same one.

Yes, you take the qualification class before the appointment. It must with 30 or less of the appointment date.

If your record is still clean and there's been no major changes, it's all easy.

They do take new fingerprints and pictures and basically do a background check (with all the appropriate agencies) right there in front of you.

If all is good, the permit is issued right then. The whole process takes about 1 hour. They are very helpful and through. Bring more documents (ie; proofs of residence etc) and your'll be good.

Don't forget to ask questions, if you have any.

They also told me that by my next renew, most of the process will be online.

I hope this helps.
Thanks!

If you submitted supporting docs/articles/etc for your initial application, do they need those submitted again? or do you just resubmit the form again?
Old 02-25-2020, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department will be switching to a new on-line application process for Carry-Concealed Weapon (CCW) Licenses in early April 2020. In preparation we will temporarily be closing our current appointment schedule as of March 2, 2020. Please watch our website https://sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html for upcoming announcements.

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-25-2020, 9:15 PM

I was a skeptic for a long time, but finally decided to give the application process a try. Here is my timeline:

CCW Timeline

7/12/19. Called to schedule first interview. Scheduled for 7/13/20 at 8:00 AM
7/29/19. SDSD called me back and moved my date up to 12/06/19 at 3:00 pm
10/19/19 SDSD called me back to reschedule apt. LVM
10/21/19 I called SDSD back to reschedule the apt for 11/05/19 at 3:00 PM
11/5/19 1st Appointment with Pam: Would have been able to go to schedule interview 2, but didn't know that we were supposed to fill out the entire form (the form itself said not to). Good cause approved "as is" with no corrections needed.
11/15/19 2nd Appointment with Pam (quick meeting to go check the application for errors before submitting, signed paperwork, took picture and fingerprints.
01/14/20 Scott called for additional information (dr. Notes and pictures that I had already sent in but got lost)
01/22/20 Scott e-mailed me to let me know he received the additional paperwork and had finished his background check. He said he was turning the packet over to his boss for final approval.
2/12/2020 Received approval e-mail (89 days) - would have been one week earlier if the original paperwork handn't been misplaced.
2/22/2020 CCW course with Bill Desy at CCWUSA (GLOCKSTORE)
2/24/2020 Called Miranda LVM about scheduling a date and time to drop off the course certificate.
2/"today"/2020 - still waiting for a call from SDSO to come in and pick up my permit

... I guess I'm going to have to change my user name!
Old 02-26-2020, 4:31 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats Someday
Old 02-26-2020, 5:55 AM

Congrats Someday. Thanks for sharing the detailed timeline.

Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming On-Line application process. Looks like I will be one of the Guinea pigs as I will need to renew before mid May.
Old 02-26-2020, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

I went to the seminar yesterday, so glad I did. I basically typed up my good cause that night with Mike's starting sentence guidance. Need to tweak it a bit because of work and technical language that you have to be a bit more artistic about, but so far so good.
Old 02-26-2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming On-Line application process. Looks like I will be one of the Guinea pigs as I will need to renew before mid May.
Thanks and you bet! BTW, Miranda called me today and I will be picking up my permit tomorrow!

Let us know how the on-line renewal goes.
Old 02-26-2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:

Would be interesting to know how the On-Line renewal app works; mine will be late July.
I was preparing my renewal app and didnít know about the new On-Line.

Congrats Someday and welcome to the club!

Old 03-09-2020, 9:31 AM

Got a call from Traci Sat asking for my email address. They are converting the application paperwork to online. I filled out the app, sent supporting docs (residency, DL, pics, GC letter and for good measure a copy of my AZ CCW) and paid the fee with a credit card. I still need to attend my 4/2 appointment, but my understanding is that becomes the second interview for fingerprints and instructions for the required training (I remember when a DD214 was enough!). I found it interesting that the wording here (section 3, emphasis added) says
Quote:
3. Once all required documents have been uploaded and the DOJ/FBI background clearances have been received (typically received within one week), your application will be approved and you will receive an email requesting that you go back online and make your final payments. Please DO NOT come to the CCW Office to pick up your CCW permit until after you receive our final email advising you to do so.
I am VERY optimistic!
Old 03-11-2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Got a call from Traci Sat asking for my email address. They are converting the application paperwork to online. I filled out the app, sent supporting docs (residency, DL, pics, GC letter and for good measure a copy of my AZ CCW) and paid the fee with a credit card. I still need to attend my 4/2 appointment, but my understanding is that becomes the second interview for fingerprints and instructions for the required
I am VERY optimistic!
Thats great! when did you first call to initiate your appointment? wonder if the wait times are decreasing too.

EDIT: nevermind, just saw your post from Sept!

Last edited by socalKA; 03-11-2020 at 8:11 PM..
Old 03-13-2020, 1:35 PM

Renewal was a quick and painless process yesterday. Clerk Lauren with 4 yrs on job said that online renewal is 3 weeks out. It took me only 40-45 minutes start to finish. I met her boss "Edna" whom I believe approved my renewal. No more waiting for anonymous "Star Chamber". Both ladies were diligent, courteous and professional. I have had much dealings with Licencing Division in the last 26 yrs and this was the best experience. Thanks to Republican Sheriff Gore, Michael Schwartz, Larry Renner, Sean Brady, Chuck Michel, Paladin, Big Ed Peruta and countless others for their civil rights efforts these last 10 years.

Last edited by marcusrn; 03-15-2020 at 3:57 PM..
Old 03-13-2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
Renewal was a quick and painless process yesterday. Clerk Lauren with 4 yrs on job said that online renewal is 3 weeks out. It took me only 40-45 minutes start to finish. I met her boss "Edna" whom I believe approved my renewal. No more waiting for anonymous "Star Chamber". Both ladies were diligent, courteous and professional. I have had much dealings with Licencing Division in the last 26 yrs and this was the best experience. Thanks to Republican Sheriff Gore, Michael Schwartz, Larry Renner, Sean Brady, Chuck Michel and countless others for their civil rights efforts these last 10 years.

This is great!

Old 03-16-2020, 10:51 PM
Calguns Addict

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 03-17-2020, 6:40 PM

Can anyone give me a clarification on this? As I understand having "large capacity" magazines is legal. I am taking this we can carry the standard magazines? Below was taken from SDSO CCW page FAQ.

The CCW license does not define magazine capacity, just the firearm. If the magazine and firearm are legal to possess in the state of California, and the firearm is listed on the license, a CCW permit holder may carry. (Note: California firearms laws are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the CCW permit holder to ensure the firearm & magazine are in compliance with California law at the time of carry.)
Old 03-17-2020, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHawaiianPistolero View Post
Can anyone give me a clarification on this? As I understand having "large capacity" magazines is legal. I am taking this we can carry the standard magazines? Below was taken from SDSO CCW page FAQ.

The CCW license does not define magazine capacity, just the firearm. If the magazine and firearm are legal to possess in the state of California, and the firearm is listed on the license, a CCW permit holder may carry. (Note: California firearms laws are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the CCW permit holder to ensure the firearm & magazine are in compliance with California law at the time of carry.)

My take, and someone correct me if I am wrong....
They are actually still banned, but the now long standing injunction means that that law is not currently to be enforced. SDSO is saying if your way to come into possession of them was legal, (freedom week, bought back in the day, came with the pistol you bought back in the day, etc) you may CCW with them until something changes for the worse in regard to the ban status.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 03-18-2020, 7:14 AM

I need to renew mine before July, so I guess i'll be giving the online system a test drive.

Does anyone know if SDSO are giving real cards out now, or do we still get the ****ty laminated paper cards that wont fit in your wallet?
Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an AmericanÖ The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. - Tench Coxe, 1788
Old 03-18-2020, 7:47 AM

With COVID19 I wonder how that will impact approval wait times for those that already completed the Live Scan/finger printing and had the second interview?
Old 03-18-2020, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I need to renew mine before July, so I guess i'll be giving the online system a test drive.

Does anyone know if SDSO are giving real cards out now, or do we still get the ****ty laminated paper cards that wont fit in your wallet?

One of the members here renewed last last week and got old laminated one.
I think the online app and new credit card type will start in early April per Sheriff website.
Please let us know how the renewal goes.
Mine is also in July.

Old 03-20-2020, 9:56 AM

I just got an email... Basically, don't call us, we'll call you.

Quote:
Click on the link that was emailed to you from Permitium and get the process started online, but wait to hear from us when to come in to the office. And check our website.

We are not doing Live Scan right now and we don't want to have you come in just to take a photo. We can take care of that later. Since we have so many applicants to contact, it's easier to update our website to get the information out to everyone.

Please check our website constantly for any new developments. www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
I called and Tracy said not to show up for my scheduled interview (4/2) and wait to hear from them on when to come in for the LiveScan and picture. Oh... It seems official now that the 1st interview is being replaced by the on-line application and the 2nd is only for LiveScan, picture and training instructions.

This variation of SARS really sucks!

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 03-20-2020 at 9:58 AM..
Old 03-24-2020, 6:03 PM

New info:

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 PM

To those who have applied and are self-employed, what documentation was requested during second interview in lieu of paystubs and employer verification?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAI77 View Post
To those who have applied and are self-employed, what documentation was requested during second interview in lieu of paystubs and employer verification?

Thanks in advance

My experience:

Does your employment put you in greater risk than general public? Need to somehow justify that.

Business license, certificates earned in your field, proof of business liability insurance - pretty much anything that shows your business is real and and up and running.

I also have a business e-mail and website with my own domain name that I provided them.

Last edited by rice_man; 03-26-2020 at 4:39 AM..
Old 03-26-2020, 9:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance

You show proof of being self employed. What you show depends on your business. Are you a roofer? Accountant? Stock trader? Landscaper? Show proof.
Old 03-26-2020, 9:22 AM

Thanks I obviously realize taking in professional license, city biz license, certs, etc. Is obvious. I was asking more in the sense since they request paystubs and employment verification from those employed, maybe someone that went through this would say "hey I had to take in a 1099, tax return, business bank statements".

The poster above had a great idea with the website. If I have any other questions I'll just go to the county gun owner's group.

Old 03-27-2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I was hoping he moved to constitutional carry in these times of emergency
Old 03-27-2020, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Grateful my renewal is not until after summer. Hope this whole thing doesn't bone up too many people.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 03-28-2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
I went to the seminar yesterday, so glad I did. I basically typed up my good cause that night with Mike's starting sentence guidance. Need to tweak it a bit because of work and technical language that you have to be a bit more artistic about, but so far so good.
Can you share 'Mike's starting sentence guidance' please. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance

From what I can gather the 1st interview is now the on-line application. There you submit all your documentation; including your GC letter. You also have to pay the non-refundable fee. It's $113 after all the fees. My appointment was/is 4/2 and I was told not to come in for now. She said there was no reason for me to come in just for the picture as they couldn't do Live Scan yet. That intimates to me that I'm approved pending the background check (I could very well be wrong). The only thing I have on my record is a traffic ticket so I should be good to go.