Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-01-2012, 6:46 PM

Default Tinted CHP car. Bay Area

I got passed py a fully stickered, black and white interceptor. Windows were all blacked out, and the hood had a killer louver job on it.

Is this some sort of a demonstrator??

I also think its unfair he gets tint and I don't, but whatever.

Was a sick looking ride, and I doubt it was a private car, as there was a standard intercepter behind it. This was on 880 around Oakland.

What was it??

So
Old 12-01-2012, 6:53 PM
Calguns Addict

No pic???

I seen a few in so cal
Old 12-01-2012, 6:54 PM

Unfortunately, no pic. I was busy trying to wrangle a big rig through Oakland idiot traffic.
Old 12-01-2012, 7:00 PM

Prob. A K-9 unit. The hoods are Louvered to dissipate more heat since they never turn the cars off while in use. Tinted windows to keep the dog cool.
Old 12-01-2012, 7:07 PM

Old 12-01-2012, 7:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Since these on I-5 near Sac, non-k9 units.
Old 12-01-2012, 7:34 PM

^^^^^ that makes sense. Didn't know CHP utilized k9, but makes logical sense.
Old 12-01-2012, 7:52 PM

Even better are the all-white, PCF cars with blacked out windows... sneaky sneaky.

Old 12-01-2012, 7:55 PM

Yup, K9 car
Old 12-01-2012, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Could be many reasons for the tint. Could be a supervisor shop that is used to transport the celebrity arrests.
Old 12-01-2012, 8:44 PM

When they wear out, they will be replaced with EXPLORERS. Ford stopped making the Crown Vic.
Old 12-01-2012, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopro74 View Post
^^^^^ that makes sense. Didn't know CHP utilized k9, but makes logical sense.
CHP also does dignitary protection for foreign dignitaries that may not merit a full State Department detail. Protection units are often blacked out so they can mix up which car the protected person is located. High profile prisoners being transported from prison to courts are also transported this way. One of my assignments I was involved in judicial security and high profile cases. My assigned car was tinted because of that.

Personally, I rarely ever wrote tickets for tinted windows over the years because I think in SoCal it just gets too darn hot in the car without tint. The law needs to be changed to allow tint to safe levels. Limo tint on driver and passenger windows, naw....too dark, but a light tint helps keep the car cool and doesn't impact visibility inor out.

Just my $0.02 worth.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
High profile prisoners being transported from prison to courts are also transported this way.
Ahhh, I don't recall chippies being in the "TST" business Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog
When they wear out, they will be replaced with EXPLORERS. Ford stopped making the Crown Vic.
Yes, but Chevy is back to making the caprice police car!

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-02-2012, 4:22 AM

Bunch of local agencies have tints. If you want them with out a fix it ticket, go to the academy, go through a stringent hiring process, then several months of FTO, and then roll the dice every night you go 10-8 that you may never see your family again. It has perks. Sorry if I went on a tangent. Been a long week.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post

Had them bring prisoners direct from Pelican Bay by aircraft to a local airport, then by CHP radio car to the court on a couple of cases. Probably the exception rather than the norm.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 AM
In Memoriam

I drive a lot for work. I've seen may CHP suv's and PU trucks with no markings and tinted windows.
The only hint you have is the red/blue on the rear view and lower right rear window.
They seem to do a good business and generating much revenue on Hwy4 between Brentwood to Pinole.
It appears that are many young adults in thousands dollar specials that think Hwy4 is a Nascar track.
-g
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

What is even better is an unmarked white or black crown
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM

I don't think I've seen any cars with the front windows tinted. Just the back ones. Could be my memory is going though.
Old 12-02-2012, 7:02 PM

Remind me to never come in here and ask a question. Lest I be attacked by the very ones who are sworn to protect, and have a post deleted for calling them on their actions, whilst their attacks stay. Good job at keepin that elitist mentality flowin mod.
Old 12-02-2012, 7:39 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Remind me to never come in here and ask a question. Lest I be attacked by the very ones who are sworn to protect, and have a post deleted for calling them on their actions, whilst their attacks stay. Good job at keepin that elitist mentality flowin mod.
Perhaps if you had read the rules for this specialty forum you never would have posted the comments that I deleted. This is a forum for active and retired leos to relax, chat and discuss various matters. It is also a forum for non leos to ask a question of them in a CIVIL manner.

These rules were established by the owner of this site, Kestryll and we moderators enforce them. If you have a problem with the rules of this particular forum or any of the forums on this site, it is certainly your prerogative to tell him that you disagree with his rules.

You did not ask any question; civil or otherwise. You posted comments that no leo in here has any desire to read or see. They are unacceptable in this forum.

I will not have to remind you to never come into this forum and ask a question because you will not be coming into this forum anymore. Good bye.
Old 12-02-2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
sworn to protect, not put up with your comments. I'd ask what happened, but I don't want to get booted

Last edited by retired; 12-02-2012 at 8:53 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 2:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Had them bring prisoners direct from Pelican Bay by aircraft to a local airport,
The King Air does that all the time, don't know about Chippies...

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-03-2012, 3:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think anyone attacked you........

You think it's not fair that a GOVERNMENT OWNED vehicle has tinted windows???? Do you remember the old California Government owned vehicle license plates? They used to have a big "E" followed by the plate number. That "E" stood for "EXEMPT." Or like we used to joke, "Excuse me." Just remember, that "exempt" status still exists on governement owned vehicles.

Technically, it really means exempt from paying registration fees...... Oh no, I shouldn't have told you that fact. Now you're gonna hate even more!

Just forget the whole thing........

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-03-2012, 7:29 AM

Quote:
That would make more sense than an EXPLORER. Last I heard, CHP just made a big contract for the FORDS.

Quote:
They seem to do a good business and generating much revenue on Hwy4 between Brentwood to Pinole.
Please correct me if Im wrong (happens all the time according to my wife), but isnt it a way to get out of a ticket if your written up by someone that is not marked for traffic enforcement? ie - std marked car?
Old 12-03-2012, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
I drive a lot for work. I've seen may CHP suv's and PU trucks with no markings and tinted windows.
The only hint you have is the red/blue on the rear view and lower right rear window.
It appears that are many young adults in thousands dollar specials that think Hwy4 is a Nascar track.
-g
IIRC, using an unmarked unit for traffic enforcement is a violation of state CVC statutes. And since all CHP officers are "traffic officers", their claim that they aren't assigned to traffic enforcement is like a Marine claiming he's an artilleryman and not a rifleman.

ETA: terdog beat me to it and I hadn't seen his comment before replying.

Last edited by BillCA; 12-03-2012 at 8:12 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

If the vehicles primary duty is traffic enforcement, the vehicle must be marked. I drove an unmarked unit for years and wrote tickets from time to time, but my primary duty wasn't traffic enforcement. Tickets are 100% valid. I had people fight them on that grounds, but never lost one in court.

CHP has a lot of assignments where their primary duty is NOT traffic enforcement.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If the vehicles primary duty is traffic enforcement, the vehicle must be marked. I drove an unmarked unit for years and wrote tickets from time to time, but my primary duty wasn't traffic enforcement. Tickets are 100% valid. I had people fight them on that grounds, but never lost one in court.

CHP has a lot of assignments where their primary duty is NOT traffic enforcement.
You are correct regarding the "primary duty", but that duty belongs to the officer, not the vehicle. An officer assigned to do follow-up traffic accident investigations driving an unmarked unit can issue a citation and it'll still be valid.

Where the line is crossed, however, is if the officer issues multiple citations from the vehicle using radar or is observed watching traffic in order to issue citations -- instead of working his follow-up investigation or "other" duty.
Old 12-04-2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post

Ford is pushing the new Taurus as an interceptor beefed up but still a Taurus

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...ce-interceptor

a little on the Taurus and Explorer police vehicles:
The lineup will include the Taurus-based sedan or Explorer-based Interceptor Utility with a 3.5-liter 280-bhp V-6 and front- or all-wheel drive. The sedan comes in a high-pursuit version that matches the 365-bhp EcoBoost V-6 with AWD

now Im driving a little 150hp focus and would be so happy to press the pedal down on any 365hp tubo AWD car. To be honest I would probably piss myself a little but it would be totally worth it
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
now Im driving a little 150hp focus and would be so happy to press the pedal down on any 365hp tubo AWD car. To be honest I would probably piss myself a little but it would be totally worth it
I dunno. That 365HP twin turbo V6 is a beast. Sure, you lose something by routing it through AWD, but you also gain a lot of stability in cornering and grip too. The Taurus also includes, according to Ford, an improved and strengthened chassis to endure police service.

For almost two decades, Dodge was the definitive police car. If you took one apart it was almost a different car. Beefier frame, bigger suspension parts from ball joints to torsion bars. Severe duty seats, special speedometer, better electrical system and their pearl white steering wheel (a blessing on hot days). Engines ranged from a 318 to 440 cid V8. They were plenty fast for everyday police work but could be outrun. I reminded fellow hot-rodders they could outrun Fords, Chevys and Dodges, but you can't outrun Motorola.

IMO, GM never seemed to grasp the need for a better frame & electrical system on police cars. They simply added gussets to the frame for Taxi service cars, then sold those as police cars too. Maybe that changed with the 1990's Caprice "Combat Cars". Ford is trying hard to keep the police market after it's Crown Vic success. The new Taurus plays to that by keeping the fuel consumption lower and offering police-customized interiors.
Old 12-05-2012, 8:15 AM

GM failed to grasp a lot of concepts. Kind of wish the bail out never happened for them.
Old 12-05-2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCA View Post
The new Taurus plays to that by keeping the fuel consumption lower and offering police-customized interiors.
IM not a LEO but I would guess its a major pain in the rear to have all that equipment on the belt and then try be comfortable sitting in the ride. From what I see the seats have nice reliefs built in so when you sit down stuff doesnt jab you in the back or side. They offer a kick *** center console too full of all sorts of bells and whistles. They showed a magnetic lock deal that hold the long guns, when the officer needs access they input a code, but then the a system alerts dispatch of the event. great feature is a officer gets in a gun fight but doesnt exactly have the time to make a call for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
GM failed to grasp a lot of concepts. Kind of wish the bail out never happened for them.
Just another reason I will only buy Ford and not GM or Chrysler/Dodge
Old 12-05-2012, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark80 View Post
?........ They showed a magnetic lock deal that hold the long guns, when the officer needs access they input a code, but then the a system alerts dispatch of the event. great feature is a officer gets in a gun fight but doesnt exactly have the time to make a call
Having a system that alerts dispatch every time you break out a long gun is a bad idea. There were times I broke one out several times a shift.

My mind flashes back to police work in the 70's when it was common for agencies to have a seal on the shotgun that was broken when you chambered a round. Deploying a shotgun without jacking a round in the chamber results in just having a bulky club in your hand. When I was with Glendora PD you had to write a memo to the chief any time the seal was broken on the shotgun. Because of that, guys were hesitant to deploy it when appropriate and lost their familiarity with the weapon.

That same policy had an impact on the outcome of the CHP Newhall shooting where four CHP officers were killed. In the below video, one of the officers comments about the seal on the shotgun. This shooting happened in 1970. Glendora PD still had a similar policy when I joined them in 1977. Some agencies are slow learners.

http://j59.video2.blip.tv/8430004874...Tragedy898.m4v

This video was a reenactment by LASD for training. I knew a couple of the deputies in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX3ux...e_gdata_player

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 12-06-2012 at 9:03 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Having a system that alerts dispatch every time you break out a long gun is a bad idea. There were times I broke one out several times a shift.
why would an office break out the long gun for a reason other then needing it for some sort of use of force?
If an officer needs to get more familiar with any weapon I would think training should be done before the need to deploy such a firearm on duty.

I think it was an option but my idea is it is a good idea when looking at protection for the officer and protection from a would be thief looking to steal a gun.
If they wanted Im sure they could program multiple codes for a non-alert release to allow removal for cleaning, inspection, ammo checks etc.
Old 12-05-2012, 7:40 PM

Dynamo,

it's all theory vs. reality. Hard to explain without writing a thesis on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
Dynamo,

it's all theory vs. reality. Hard to explain without writing a thesis on it.
lol now all I picture is the cops in the movie Super Bad target practicing on a stop sign while drunk.

Since Im not a LEO I dont know what the job really calls for but Im guessing you didnt stop off for some trap/skeet shooting in a rural area while on duty. That would be fun though.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCA View Post
I dunno. That 365HP twin turbo V6 is a beast. Sure, you lose something by routing it through AWD, but you also gain a lot of stability in cornering and grip too. The Taurus also includes, according to Ford, an improved and strengthened chassis to endure police service.

For almost two decades, Dodge was the definitive police car. If you took one apart it was almost a different car. Beefier frame, bigger suspension parts from ball joints to torsion bars. Severe duty seats, special speedometer, better electrical system and their pearl white steering wheel (a blessing on hot days). Engines ranged from a 318 to 440 cid V8. They were plenty fast for everyday police work but could be outrun. I reminded fellow hot-rodders they could outrun Fords, Chevys and Dodges, but you can't outrun Motorola.

IMO, GM never seemed to grasp the need for a better frame & electrical system on police cars. They simply added gussets to the frame for Taxi service cars, then sold those as police cars too. Maybe that changed with the 1990's Caprice "Combat Cars". Ford is trying hard to keep the police market after it's Crown Vic success. The new Taurus plays to that by keeping the fuel consumption lower and offering police-customized interiors.
Until they got 50k or so on the clock & the 'Dodge drift' starts. Dang things would wonder all over the road while sitting at a red light ...

The new Fords are pretty slick. The car drives well & is very comfortable with the new seats. The AWD is a bit pushy in tight turns but still way more nimble than a CV. The SUV (It's not an Explorer. Taurus with an Explorer like body) feels like a tall CV. Mono frame so they won't take the beating that a CV would without repair but still have the makings of a solid CV replacement.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
why would an office break out the long gun for a reason other then needing it for some sort of use of force?
If an officer needs to get more familiar with any weapon I would think training should be done before the need to deploy such a firearm on duty.

I think it was an option but my idea is it is a good idea when looking at protection for the officer and protection from a would be thief looking to steal a gun.
If they wanted Im sure they could program multiple codes for a non-alert release to allow removal for cleaning, inspection, ammo checks etc.
When you roll up outside the bank on a silent robbery alarm call, you break out the boomer and chamber a round. When the call is clear, you clear the chamber and put said boomer away. If you've got to write paper every time you have to do this, you stop doing it because you already write enough paper to clear a small forest. I worked one area where it was common to deploy a shotgun multiple times a shift.

Everyone gets trained initially, and scheduled in service training. We carried Ithica Model 37 shotguns. At the start of every shift the barrel was removed, the firing pin checked, reassembled and function tested before loading up and hitting the field. Frequent handling makes you more familiar with your equipment. Seals on guns or alarms on locks means the guns only come out as a last resort and perishable skills diminish.

When the budget gets tight, in service training is one of the first things to get cut by the administration.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 12-05-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
audiopro74 will no longer be joining us.
Old 12-06-2012, 5:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
IM not a LEO but I would guess its a major pain in the rear to have all that equipment on the belt and then try be comfortable sitting in the ride. From what I see the seats have nice reliefs built in so when you sit down stuff doesnt jab you in the back or side. They offer a kick *** center console too full of all sorts of bells and whistles. They showed a magnetic lock deal that hold the long guns, when the officer needs access they input a code, but then the a system alerts dispatch of the event. great feature is a officer gets in a gun fight but doesnt exactly have the time to make a call for help.
That's why, if you look at the Taurus' seats, they look flat compared to seats in other sedans. Generally speaking, a LEO's belt in the 3-to-9 o'clock position has all sorts of crap. Gun & baton/radio at 3 & 9 o'clock, handcuffs behind, maybe OC/Mace spray, latex glove carrier... the list goes on.

I agree with Ron-Solo. There are times when you want that shotgun for specific types of calls. There are also times when you're in a dark, lonely place stopping a car with multiple people and your internal radar pings hard & fast. With a passenger officer, he can slip the shotgun out and have it at the ready. Alone, you unlock the shotgun and lay it in the driver's side where you can get to it easier if the stop goes to hell in handbasket.

Cops can do some stupid things with shotguns too. That often results in over-reactions by CLEOs and administrative staff. One local agency kept their shotguns in the cars as shifts rotated. One officer had developed a lazy habit of not physically checking the weapon before rolling out, but simply checking the safety's status by pulling the trigger. As you can imagine, statistical odds caught up to him one evening when he blew a large hole in the roof of a 2-month-old '73 Dodge Polara. After that, each officer was required to remove the shotgun from the mount, unload the gun and physically inspect the chamber and barrel, count the rounds, reload & re-secure. If you found anything in the chamber (live round, pencil, candy bar wrappers, etc.) you had to write it up. The negligent officer rode a desk for six months and endured the complaints from the field cops over the new procedures.