Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-22-2019, 6:12 PM

Default My Marlin experience. Yours?

So everyone has read about the new Marlin horror stories, but what is the actual experience? Let's hear from posters who have OWNED a new Marlin. We all know there's good and bad rifles out there. Please follow these rules:

No regurgitation.
No "My friend's Marlin...."
No "I read on x forum..."

What's your experience?

I bought a 45-70 1895 CBA in 2016. No need to describe it.

Over all, I am very happy with the rifle. Fit of the stock and foregrip is very nice. The wood is good for a $680 rifle (keep in mind this isn't 1995. Inflation is real. Quality lever actions for $400 isn't a thing anymore). It has become my go to woods hiking gun. I like going up hiking or snowshoeing with a rifle and shooting in actual field conditions. I haven't taken it hunting yet, but I am working up a 300grain Barnes load for an upcoming pig hunt. My main go to plinking round is Starline brass, 13 grains of Unique, with a 405gr hardcast bullet.

The action was a little more rough than a friend's Henry. However, just like most Rossi owners do, I used some 600 grit sandpaper to polish the internals - I did this after cycling approximately 500 rounds through it and that helped a lot and it is nice feeling.

I am also picky about triggers. Trigger pull was what I consider slightly heavy, so I then added a Wild West Guns Trigger Happy trigger to it. That made the trigger pull extremely nice feeling.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod16630.aspx

The last thing I did was change out this reduced power hammer spring. That has made the action very easy to cycle. It takes a lot less force to cock this hammer and when returning the bolt to battery it is also easier for the bolt to slip over that last hump of the hammer.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...aspx?rrec=true

I'd absolutely buy another Marlin. I wouldn't buy it online, but if I could check it over in person, I wouldn't hesitate. Sure, I've customized a few things. But relatively small peanuts in cost IMO.
Old 01-22-2019, 6:13 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

My 1894 csbl has been a pleasure. I've typed about it on a couple other threads.

I plan on buying a new marlin 45-70 of some kind in the near future, so you can tell I like 'em!
Old 01-22-2019, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Only Marlin I’ve ever owned is my 10 year old 795 .22, got nothing negative to say about it. It’s just works, my kids love it. I got a cheap little Simmons 3x9 scope on it and it is just a blast to shoot.
Old 01-22-2019, 7:51 PM

I fired for the first time my new 1895c in .357 this past weekend. Firing 158 grain swc 38s was like shooting a .22lr, it was a absolute blast. Firing .357 was just as fun with a small increase in the recoil.

Overall Iam impressed, the issues; very poor wood to metal fit, the safety has rubbed the blueing off where it is rubbing on the radius at the rear of the receiver (back side of the receiver as the receiver radii increases), sights are hard to see (not the guns fault) due to 60 year old eyes, racking the lever takes some effort (hopefully this will shoot in) . I think my biggest complaint is loading the gun,the case rims want to grap the inside of the receiver just as they are almost completely inserted (burr ?).

This is only my second lever I have fired or owned, Browning .22 is the other, based upon my internet searching I think the gun is exactly what I was expecting.

The gun is a blast to shot, it is not fair to judge it after only 100 rounds. With the exception of the stock fitting, there seems to be plenty of internet information to sort through my other issues.
Old 01-22-2019, 8:16 PM

My 1895 is just like yours and in 45-70, I'm very pleased with this rifle in all areas. My wife's 1950's mod 336RC 30-30 is no better than the 45-70 and both work smooth. The 336 30-30 I bought a couple of years ago is a bit rougher than this 45-70 but is still a good shooter and has no problems other than a bit of wood metal fit and finish is rough. All 3 Marlins shoot good but all have preferences in loads. I have yet to get back to the range to work with more loads for the 1895, been to much weather for my old @$$.
Old 01-22-2019, 8:45 PM

I have a 2018 production 1895 SBL. Love it. Great shooter. Buttery smooth action. No canted sights. The wood was nice. Trigger was fine. Finish was good but by the lever screw there was a rough spot that looked like it got roughed up on a bench during assembly. Overall I thaught it was a great gun.

I changed the furniture to some lighter weight more weather proof offerings and the lever to a RPP medium loop. Not because anything was wrong with it but because of LOP. The big loop only exasperated trying to keep the rifle shouldered wile comfortably cycling the action. Loading gates are rough on all years.
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 01-22-2019, 9:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I started a thread like this and got the same type of replies that you are getting. Here is my documented experience.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1351951&highlight="Marlin+sucks"

I will not take a chance on a Marlin sight unseen again.
Old 01-22-2019, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1351951
Old 01-23-2019, 6:43 AM

FWIW I purchased a .357 1894 new in the eighties. Were they built better than the problematic Remlins?

Well there were problems as the rifle would not feed rounds without jamming.

It was disassembled, polished, lubed and it still would not feed without issues.

The rifle was sent back to Marlin where they replaced the follower and the bolt.

After its return the gun worked well with everything except semi wadcutters.

Still the trigger was terrible with a lot of staging and creep. A local gunsmith smoothed the trigger action until it was outstanding.

The point being even an early JM Marlin needed work right out of the box to feed and function.

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before but I'm sure my experience is probably not unique just to my rifle.

irh

Last edited by ironhorse1; 01-23-2019 at 7:16 AM..
Old 01-23-2019, 7:13 AM

^^ I can believe this. I was going to say something about the old "revered" JM rifles not being perfect either. I've owned two 1894s, both 44mag. First one was a beautiful stainless model that I got in 2000-2001. Didn't have any functional issues but its barrel was rotated to the left by a couple of degrees. So I could see while looking down the barrel that the sights were slightly canted over. Not enough to affect function, but it bugged me. I sold it.

Right after that I found a Marlin in .44mag at a local Big 5. $350 I think it was in around 2003. I bought it. When I got home I noticed that the magazine tube was swung off to the side slightly. Not sure why i didn't notice that in the store. I though, oh not not again. LOL But that was an easy fix: just loosened the barrel band and straightened it.

This Big 5 rifle sure shoots nicely though. Doesn't seem to jam ever, with the ammo I've loaded for it, and it probably has the best, crispest factory trigger of all my guns.
Old 01-23-2019, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

I ordered a new GBL or SBL in like 2014-2015. The barrel was clocked at about 01:30, and there was 3 mag tube hanger dovetails cut into the barrel. Sharp edges everywhere, I cut my hand open on the lever that felt like it was full of gravel. Also there were 3 chips missing out of the stock about the size of my pinki finger. Ive handled dozens of other examples over the years since. Each of them were gross in their own unique way.

The JM Marlins were near perfect. They were crafted by smiths skilled in a trade, not stamped out of a machine by some knucklehead.

First hand experience, you asked for it.
Old 01-23-2019, 8:37 PM

I once had a 1894 in .357; posted about it here some time back. Short version: Jennings/Bryco POS that wouldn't feed or function; you would have better luck dating a cliff-side baboon in Kenya. Yes that's harsh, but I have high standards in personal weaponry.
Lately, a colleague picked up a 1895 stainless that seems worlds better. I would buy one just like it.
Bottom line: Miroku needs to copy the Marlin design.
Nuff said.

Last edited by splithoof; 01-23-2019 at 9:03 PM..
Old 01-24-2019, 1:49 AM

I have a pre-safety JM 336 (30-30) and a new 2018 1895 Trapper (45-70).

I performed action jobs and lightened the loading gate spring on both guns as they both could be improved though the 1895 was just a bit rougher. I thought I might want to change springs or triggers but after the work and a few hundred dry fires I am perfectly happy. I don’t really notice a functional difference between 1895 the 336 now.

The 1895 has a painted stock so I can’t compare grain/finish but the fit is great. It is stainless so can’t comment on bluing. No canted sights or barrel. Very happy with the purchase. A blast to shoot. I had also checked out a new SBL before I decided on the Trapper and it was of high quality as well.
Old 01-24-2019, 5:16 AM

I have a 336 Carbine. It's a Remlin that shoots pretty well. It doesn't have the fit and finish of my Winchester (Miroku) 1873 but didn't cost $1200 either. I'm pleased with my 336 and would like to buy a Marlin 1894 if I can find a great deal on one.
Old 01-24-2019, 5:28 AM
Veteran Member

1895 SBL owner here. Zero issues so far. Fun gun to detonate produce with.
Old 01-24-2019, 1:11 PM

Have 3 Marlin's, all made in the last couple years.

Fit-and-Finish were good, especially for the prices.

Actions needed to break-in a little, though. No big deal.

Overall I am happy about them, and will buy again.
Old 01-24-2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
I ordered a new GBL or SBL in like 2014-2015. The barrel was clocked at about 01:30, and there was 3 mag tube hanger dovetails cut into the barrel. Sharp edges everywhere, I cut my hand open on the lever that felt like it was full of gravel. Also there were 3 chips missing out of the stock about the size of my pinki finger. Ive handled dozens of other examples over the years since. Each of them were gross in their own unique way.

The JM Marlins were near perfect. They were crafted by smiths skilled in a trade, not stamped out of a machine by some knucklehead.

First hand experience, you asked for it.
Did you happen to notice any of those flaws before doing the DROs? The way they’re described sound pretty obvious to notice. I supposed you ordered online and paid before getting to look it over. Same thing that happened to JohnBrowning in his thread. Bummer.
Old 01-24-2019, 5:03 PM

I have a marlin model 60. It’s my second because the third time I went to clean my first, the pot metal behind the trigger guard gave way when I tightened the bolt during reassembly. Textbook metal fatigue. I sent the whole thing in and they shipped me a new one. They also paid the fee that the ffl charged for receipt of the replacement. I guess the outcome is good, but there would have been no hassle in the first place if they used a higher quality product.

I love the rifle itself. Fun to shoot, reasonably accurate, and easy to maintain.

Josh
Old 01-24-2019, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it was an order through a distributor and I sent it back for a refund before starting the dros. The examples Ive seen in the last year or so were much better but still a far cry from the 80s to the early 2000s.
Old 01-24-2019, 8:14 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Did you happen to notice any of those flaws before doing the DROs?

In my experience, there are things you won't notice until the gun is disassembled and the action spread out on a workbench to better inspect all of the parts of the assembly and then examine the bare interior of the reciever. Difficult to do on the gun store counter.

My recently-acquired 1894 SBL is a good example of this. I'll have more about this tomorrow.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson

. Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Keep your eye on the new Winchester 350 Legend

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-24-2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
In my experience, there are things you won't notice until the gun is disassembled and the action spread out on a workbench to better inspect all of the parts of the assembly and then examine the bare interior of the reciever. Difficult to do on the gun store counter.

My recently-acquired 1894 SBL is a good example of this. I'll have more about this tomorrow.
Absolutely true! I was just asking about stuff like a stock misfit, chips in stocks, barrel canted to 1:30, action that felt like gravel.

I don't doubt his experience. That's a bummer stuff like that's out there. I remember your recent posts. I'd like to hear what you've seen on your recent model.
Old 01-25-2019, 8:55 PM

I found a 45 70 guide gun that has great F/F, and shoots tight groups. I believe I was lucky as it was built in 2015. I would like to find a 30 30 in the same condition to go with it.
Old 01-25-2019, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I've got a deluxe model 60 that's a real beautiful gun. I love a good tube feed gun. I bough an old model 75C that's basically a short model 60 with a Glenfield name.

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-25-2019, 9:42 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'll have more about this tomorrow.

I didn't get my homework finished in time.

I'll have more about my Marlin experiences for this thread at some future point in time.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson

. Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Keep your eye on the new Winchester 350 Legend

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Not to go to far off topic but did you guys see that curly maple 336C. I'm kind of liking it.
But, I have spent my gun money for this quarter.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-25-2019, 11:00 PM

ive got a plastic model 60 Eddys sold me at a fair price and i cant fault it. its cheap, but the thing works dang well.
Old 01-27-2019, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

I just remembered I also ordered a new Model 60 about a year ago to shoot some steel matches. Same problems: canted barrel, very gritty action to the point the bolt would stay open halfway on its own, and the stock was a joke. I can forgive more on a $200 rifle but still a shame what the Freedom Group did to Marlin.
Old 01-27-2019, 9:20 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I can forgive more on a $200 rifle but still a shame what the Freedom Group did to Marlin.

I will respectfully submit that the Freedom Group more than likely saved Marlin, or we wouldn't be able to buy any new product. What is a shame is the sheer mechanical ineptitude on the shop floor; the butchery that these great designs are subjected to by whomever it is presently working inside the factory.

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 01-27-2019, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I read this a few days ago on another site from a gentleman who I respect a great deal. He might be a member here. I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him.

Quote:

It was an ongoing problem with Marlin if what I've read is at all true.
The story goes that Marlin had for years adjusted the drawings to fit worn tooling and was on the cusp of failure to be able to continue having not put the money into machine maintenance.
Remington bought them without realizing exactly how bad it was. Moved the machinery possibly without the people. Found out they didn't have the knowhow. Didn't exactly have RELIABLE drawings to work to since everything had been being worked to a series of redlines. And screwed the pooch royally trying to put out guns using that data anyway. Further screwed up by not being able to access the lack of quality (or in many cases functionality) of what they were producing and allowed them to get out into the wild until the customer feedback was enough to make them look at what they were doing.

Word is they finally had the sense to stop production and have been model by model, caliber by caliber, going through the line and reblueprinting each one. Hence we got the .30-30 .336s, followed by the .45-70 1895s then the 44 1894s. Those being the most popular being the most used in actual hunting brush guns and certain areas having a prohibition on the .357 Mag out of a rifle (or so I'm told) that will allow the .44 Mag.

Sounds like they still haven't got their QA department up to snuff. IMO that is and has been a failing of Remington for the past 25 years or more. Remington has released several new guns that have been utter flops requiring recalls and or redesigns. In the case of the R51 they have blamed the difference in prototype production vs. production tooling and methods but when you produce an entire production run that doesn't work worth a darn it means you didn't bother testing them as they came off the line.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-29-2019, 6:07 AM

Bought a 1895GS a few years ago, fit and finish was off a little but functions perfectly with great accuracy!
Old 01-29-2019, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I own three JM stamped 1894s. One I bought new in 2001 and it is arguably the best damn rifle I own. The other two were used and both required some fixing. One was a CAS gun had some interesting modifications. I only mention these so you know I do have some experience with Marlins.

About two years ago I bought a couple of Remlins

The 336 (30-30) is pretty good but not great. There are some cosmetic problems though nothing I cannot fix. The action has to be worked pretty vigorously -- more so than I like -- to insure proper extraction. I may have take it to a real gunsmith to get that fixed.

The 1895 (45-70) is a very good shooting rifle with everything I've fed to it. The opening for loading seems a little small for a 45-70 rim. Not a big deal -- I am not going to a gunfight with a 45-70 if I can avoid it. If I cannot stop a prey animal with 4+1 I will just engage to backup rocket launcher.

All-in-all, the Remlins I own are decent guns for the price I paid but not great guns.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:40 PM

I have transition Marlin 1894 in 38/357 stainless with a 18.5" barrel. Barrel has Marlin roll markings with a Remington stamp on the barrel near the receiver. Butter smooth action. Cycles and feeds all 38's and 357 rounds I have put through it. Accurate carbine and shooting 38's is like shooting a 22lr.

The only "problem" it has it the stock to receiver sizing. The fit is perfect, flush to the receiver with out any gaps I can see. The wood at the tang is a bit over sized maybe an 1/8" or so above. Does not affect shooting or handling. To me the trouble of removing, sanding and refinishing is not worth the time.
Old 01-30-2019, 5:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Older Jm stamped marlins. Never a problem or issue.

Newer Remlin in 38/357. Fit and finish were fine but the action felt like 30 miles of gravel road with the habit of locking up and unlocking without warning or clue.

$135.00 to the gunsmith at Americn GunWorks and I now own a flawlessly functioning Remlin.

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin
Old 01-30-2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Older Jm stamped marlins. Never a problem or issue.

Newer Remlin in 38/357. Fit and finish were fine but the action felt like 30 miles of gravel road with the habit of locking up and unlocking without warning or clue.

$135.00 to the gunsmith at Americn GunWorks and I now own a flawlessly functioning Remlin.
What’d the gunsmith do?
Old 01-30-2019, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
What’d the gunsmith do?
I'll second that

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-30-2019, 8:59 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

The gunsmith probably fixed it. That'd be my guess.

Alright, here's my story regarding my three Marlin 1894s: a 1989-made Model 1894CS357, a 2005-made 1894FG and a 2018-made 1894 SBL...

Where the older, JM-stamped revolver-caliber carbines and short rifles, specifically Models 1894, suffered was with feeding from the carrier (due to the angle of the cartridge relative to the bore axis, along with the sharp edges of the chamber portal), and then with a carrier worn from much use, on the bottom surface with a groove from the sharp edge of the lever's snail cam, a problem Marlin called "letting in two" from the mag portal... the infamous "Marlin Jam" that locked up the gun.

A "New Design" or "New Style" carrier for the Model 1894 fixes these issues. The lever snail cam on the other hand still needs to be addressed, and that is done with a stone, slightly rounding the very sharp edge.

I believe that the credit for these fixes goes to the SASS crowd, specifically one Rusty Marlin and one Widowmaker who have hosted web pages with instructions for fixing the Marlin Jam and for fixing the cartridge-to-chamber feeding. To these men we Marlin 1894 owners owe a debt of gratitude.

My first two Marlins suffered feeding issues and both guns were cured of their ills when I replaced the carries with the New Style carrier, both sourced from Brownells but at least one year apart. I still see the .41/.44 carrier available but I don't see the carrier for the .357. I was lucky to find one.

My third Marlin, this latest Model 1894 SBL was atrocious in every department EXCEPT feeding from the carrier. That it has always done well. Must be that new-style carrier I keep hearing so much about.

The barrel rifling exhibited tool chatter damage

The receiver interior had machining burrs and chaff still attached to certain places

The front sight is misaligned, being attached to the barrel at 12:30 on the clock

The stock was poorly fitted to the receiver tang and the matte finish clearcoat was very poor, exhibiting bubbling with sharp edges. Ever attempt a good cheek weld on a cheese grater? It would be like that.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, some of these things can be noticed in the gun store, others, not so much. I had a real fever for this gun and there was no way I was letting it out of my hands once the ten-day was complete... So I set about fixing the problems myself.

Once the buttstock was removed to begin work to fix this gun, polishing wheel cotton detritus and polishing rouge covered the mainspring and hammer strut... overall a spectacular example of how *not* to manufacture a wonderful design.

I have mostly fixed the barrel bore issue with pressure-lapping/firelapping. Thanks go to Mark/golfish and Tom/pennstater for their patient company in the desert where I attempted most of the lapping procedure...

Before anything else, though, and once I got it home I spent a few hours with small files and addressed the hideous condition of the receiver interior surfaces. I stoned the lever's snail cam. I cleaned each small part and spring before reassembling the carbine and then laid a few strokes of steel wool to the blistered urethane coat on the laminated stock.

A gunsmith is needed to best perform the front sight relocation to true vertical, but I have fixed everything else. I did not want to send the gun back to the factory for fear they would only make it worse....

I now have a perfectly-functioning firearm that can cut cloverleafs when I'm steady enough to do so, but it has taken some TLC.

From top to bottom:

1894FG (.41 Magnum) 20" barrel
1894CS357 (.357 Magnum) 18.5"
1894 SBL (.44 Magnum) 16.5"

. 1A - 2A = -1A

Last edited by 200Apples; 01-30-2019 at 9:01 PM..
Old 01-31-2019, 7:48 AM

My 2013 Marlin 336 in .30-30 is a very good shooter. I have fluffed and buffed the interior a bit, but other than oiling it and shooting it, I haven't had an issue.

With a cheap LER scope mounted to a modified XS rail, I can get 1" - 1.5" groups at 100 yards. That's good enough for my uses.

Range report with target pics: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1409424

Last edited by MissiontoMars; 01-31-2019 at 7:54 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
The gunsmith probably fixed it. That'd be my guess.

Alright, here's my story regarding my three Marlin 1894s: a 1989-made Model 1894CS357, a 2005-made 1894FG and a 2018-made 1894 SBL...

Where the older, JM-stamped revolver-caliber carbines and short rifles, specifically Models 1894, suffered was with feeding from the carrier (due to the angle of the cartridge relative to the bore axis, along with the sharp edges of the chamber portal), and then with a carrier worn from much use, on the bottom surface with a groove from the sharp edge of the lever's snail cam, a problem Marlin called "letting in two" from the mag portal... the infamous "Marlin Jam" that locked up the gun.

A "New Design" or "New Style" carrier for the Model 1894 fixes these issues. The lever snail cam on the other hand still needs to be addressed, and that is done with a stone, slightly rounding the very sharp edge.

I believe that the credit for these fixes goes to the SASS crowd, specifically one Rusty Marlin and one Widowmaker who have hosted web pages with instructions for fixing the Marlin Jam and for fixing the cartridge-to-chamber feeding. To these men we Marlin 1894 owners owe a debt of gratitude.

My first two Marlins suffered feeding issues and both guns were cured of their ills when I replaced the carries with the New Style carrier, both sourced from Brownells but at least one year apart. I still see the .41/.44 carrier available but I don't see the carrier for the .357. I was lucky to find one.

My third Marlin, this latest Model 1894 SBL was atrocious in every department EXCEPT feeding from the carrier. That it has always done well. Must be that new-style carrier I keep hearing so much about.

The barrel rifling exhibited tool chatter damage

The receiver interior had machining burrs and chaff still attached to certain places

The front sight is misaligned, being attached to the barrel at 12:30 on the clock

The stock was poorly fitted to the receiver tang and the matte finish clearcoat was very poor, exhibiting bubbling with sharp edges. Ever attempt a good cheek weld on a cheese grater? It would be like that.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, some of these things can be noticed in the gun store, others, not so much. I had a real fever for this gun and there was no way I was letting it out of my hands once the ten-day was complete... So I set about fixing the problems myself.

Once the buttstock was removed to begin work to fix this gun, polishing wheel cotton detritus and polishing rouge covered the mainspring and hammer strut... overall a spectacular example of how *not* to manufacture a wonderful design.

I have mostly fixed the barrel bore issue with pressure-lapping/firelapping. Thanks go to Mark/golfish and Tom/pennstater for their patient company in the desert where I attempted most of the lapping procedure...

Before anything else, though, and once I got it home I spent a few hours with small files and addressed the hideous condition of the receiver interior surfaces. I stoned the lever's snail cam. I cleaned each small part and spring before reassembling the carbine and then laid a few strokes of steel wool to the blistered urethane coat on the laminated stock.

A gunsmith is needed to best perform the front sight relocation to true vertical, but I have fixed everything else. I did not want to send the gun back to the factory for fear they would only make it worse....

I now have a perfectly-functioning firearm that can cut cloverleafs when I'm steady enough to do so, but it has taken some TLC.

From top to bottom:

1894FG (.41 Magnum) 20" barrel
1894CS357 (.357 Magnum) 18.5"
1894 SBL (.44 Magnum) 16.5"

nice!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 AM

Apples, that looks like some nice work, and kudos to you for having the patience to get it done. Had I only known about the aftermarket parts for the feeding issues, I would have been inclined to keep the 1894CS that I owned, instead of selling it off for next to nothing.
BTW, is that military Coleman-type lantern I see in the background in one of the pics an Armstrong manufactured model?......I've got one just like it that I converted to use 220 internals.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Thanks fellers!

Split, those carriers I speak of may not have been available during the time you sold that gun. One day, another 1894 will appear with your name on it.

That lantern is an authentic Coleman "mil spec" lantern, the model # escapes me. It's raining pretty hard and the garage is all closed up or I'd go look. It was made in either '57 or '67, and as you know, they're loud when they're running. I like the idea of changing the plumbing to the quieter, dual-mantle 220 setup. Someone on ebay sells a "quiet" burner cap for it. As you also know, these lanterns were designed to run on all gasoline types, including (at the time), leaded fuel (where leaded fuel's burnt fuel deposits would clog a standard Coleman in short order).

. 1A - 2A = -1A