Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-30-2012, 7:31 AM

Default Action Shooting with the "wrong" firearms

I was just curious if anyone runs action shooting events where I could say, run a course of fire with an old farmer shotgun or even an over/under? Same for a bolt action rifle?

I've seen pistol matches with "revolver" classes, which is the general concept I'm looking for. I'm less interested in those though -- don't have a handgun yet.

I'm assuming it would be a less-than-formal event, because 'normal' time limit stages would be near impossible to complete with a non-semi. Eventually I'll expand my collection to include an AR or something, just trying to figure out if there is anywhere I can run what I currently have.
Old 11-30-2012, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

I've allowed "cowboy class" Doubles and pumps at my Shotgun action match (now known as CASC) for the last couple of years.. We didn't have anyone choose to shoot a side/side or model 97 this year in that class.. SASS has their shoots and a side/side or model 97 pump with a max of 2 rounds is common to use..

The Bar Area Rifle Championship has a division for "Manual Action" firearms.. we usually have a small contingent of ppl who choose to shoot a bolt, lever, or pump rifle..
Old 11-30-2012, 9:18 AM

Thanks for the info sargenv, you're a bit far but it's good to know!
Old 11-30-2012, 9:21 AM

It would be a big help if you stated your location. At our club, you can use what ever you have, though most of our matches combine handgun, shotgun and rifle. We even hand a rimfire 3gun shoot...22 handgun, 22 rifle and .410 shotgun
Old 11-30-2012, 9:25 AM

Oh shoot -- for some reason I thought I had my location in my profile.

I'm in Santa Barbara area -- I know SLOSA and Piru have some stuff, haven't been out to either though.
Old 11-30-2012, 9:34 AM

Ask the local USPSA/IDPA club if they would allow this. USPSA does support a dedicated revolver division. I squadded with a friend at the western states championship a number of years back and he pushed his 8" bbl .44 magnum hunting revolver through the match and had a blast besides getting a large audience cheering him on.

You could also run a rimfire pistol through USPSA style stages with Match Director permission as long as gear meets safety requirements. This would have you competing for no score and would have to accept that the steel targets won't fall as you would be under power factor minimum but it's all about fun and learning, right.
Old 12-05-2012, 5:33 PM

I shoot at SLOSA for USPSA tactical shotgun, and 3-gun, also done a few of the rimfire 3gun matches.

You can run whatever you want... an over/under or side by side would put you at a real disadvantage score wise, but you could do it. I say come on out, i'll squad up with you and it will be a hoot!
Old 12-05-2012, 6:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-06-2012, 2:19 PM

I'm confused with what exactly your asking here.

Are you asking if you can run a USPSA/Multigun/3gun style competition with bolt guns and SxS's? For the most part (depending on the club) sure, "run what you brung".

Or are you asking about competitions in general? There are different types of competitions for bolt guns and shotguns (for SxS's SASS/CAS comes to mind)

Or are you looking to get started in competitive actions (read:USPSA style) shooting? If you are, might I suggest you're going about this the wrong way. If you want to start competitive shooting, start with small goals.

First off, you should go watch the various types of matches/look up videos on YouTube to see what exactly you want to get into.

Secondly, you're going to need a pistol. Most "action" competitions require a pistol (see: 3gun/Multigun, SASS/CAS) or are pistol only (see: USPSA/IPSC, IDPA). Like Dakine_surf said though, SLOSA lets you use rimfire pistols for USPSA, so you don't need to go crazy. Also, to do Multigun you really do need to start with pistol only to get into it.

There are a ton of FAQ's and beginners guides to competitive shooting you should look for, and it's something you really should look for, competitive shooting is a blast!

PS: SLOSA USPSA handgun is this saturday and 3gun is this sunday if you want to come join/watch/talk/have a good time with us. Starts at about 9am, free to watch you just need to sign the waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr_223 View Post
dude, its a pump-action..You can put a live weasel or hollowed d**do on the barrel and it would be legal...
Old 12-06-2012, 2:42 PM

WootSauce, not really interested in true competitive events (registered, prizes, etc) yet, was just curious if anyone local had a run-what-you-brung match.

I've had people give me dirty looks when I brought my bolt action shotgun to sporting clays events away from my normal club -- so I like to gauge how open people are to weird configurations before just showing up.

Turns out Dakine_surf and I know each other already, so I may tag along next time he's heading to SLOSA.
Old 12-06-2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPea View Post
WootSauce, not really interested in true competitive events (registered, prizes, etc) yet, was just curious if anyone local had a run-what-you-brung match.

I've had people give me dirty looks when I brought my bolt action shotgun to sporting clays events away from my normal club -- so I like to gauge how open people are to weird configurations before just showing up.

Turns out Dakine_surf and I know each other already, so I may tag along next time he's heading to SLOSA.
Oh, by no means these are serious matches, these are just our monthly fun matches. Most events at SLOSA (all the ones I've seen) are open to running what you have with a friendly environment.

I'm a little confused by what you mean exactly by a "local had a run-what-you-brung match". I mean, the match has to have some type of structure (Skeet, trap, Action pistol, SASS, etc) but if it falls into one of those categories, from what I've seen (and what it says on the website slosa.org) the people at slosa are very open to you using what you own and having fun with it. For USPSA I've seen people use everything from old hand-me-down Hi-Powers to Ruger .22's

I haven't shot trap/skeet at slosa yet (though I want to) but I see no reason why people would frown upon you using your bolt shotgun for skeet. Everyone I've met at slosa has been beyond friendly, it's a really good attitude there.

I would definitely tag along with Dakine_surf next time to see what it's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr_223 View Post
dude, its a pump-action..You can put a live weasel or hollowed d**do on the barrel and it would be legal...

Last edited by WootSauce; 12-06-2012 at 3:06 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 3:09 PM

Ooooop's from the title I thought you meant a Glock or a Ruger or something ...
Old 12-06-2012, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hostetter View Post
Ooooop's from the title I thought you meant a Glock or a Ruger or something ...
Old 12-07-2012, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Well, being that SLOSA hosts the IRC and the ICORE SW regional every year, they tend to be a bit more welcoming to ppl who shoot alternative action firearms than a lot of other clubs.. the IRC being the International Revolver Championship.. Wheelgunners are used to ppl giving us a questioning look of "why?"...

Though Richmond would likely also welcome you.. since I've seen people shoot some interesting "manual action" guns at the BARC match.. Saw someone shoot a Mosin one year... and I've sworn off ever shooting my Rem 700 again..

Last edited by sargenv; 12-07-2012 at 7:22 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 7:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
.. since I've seen people shoot some interesting "manual action" guns at the BARC match.. Saw someone shoot a Mosin one year... and I've sworn off ever shooting my Rem 700 again..
And I recall someone destroying BARC targets with a Blaser R-93 LRS2 chambered in .308... and the Manual Open was won one year with a GAP custom chambered in .260. The guy ran short of magazines and had to top stuff the last few rounds on a stage. Then he got a procedural threatened for cruelty to steel.

And someone else competed in the Richmond ICORE match with a full power .44 RemMag revolver, because that's the only revolver he had.

And someone else went to a Chabot multigun match with a FN FiveseveN pistol and a bolt action rifle.

Yeah, you can run with what you bring at a lot of matches. Just ask ahead of time and don't look at the timer after the run.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
Though Richmond would likely also welcome you.. since I've seen people shoot some interesting "manual action" guns at the BARC match.. Saw someone shoot a Mosin one year... and I've sworn off ever shooting my Rem 700 again..
Yep, you won't know the full potential of your rifle until you have competed in BARC.

That was my Finnish M39. The 182gr heavy ball ammo sawed off the wooden posts when I jerked the cosmoline-drenched trigger.
The muzzle concussion from my Garand blew the close-range paper targets to smithereens the following year.

Thanks for hosting a world class match.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
Yeah, you can run with what you bring at a lot of matches. Just ask ahead of time and don't look at the timer after the run.
Sounds like a most excellent plan.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPea View Post

Rainbow Combat Steel (second Saturday; just passed 40 years of continuous operation; Rainbow, CA) is very much run-what-you-brung (as long as you know how to run it).

One of the regular organizers runs shotgun every month with his cowboy side-by-side; once in a blue moon someone will even bring black powder. (That guy took a long time on the rifle stages, but it was fun to watch.)

.22s and race guns are ineligible for award pins.

Further info here and here.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Smile

Here is a Swedish gentleman having far too much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVXjmMzM3eE
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Go to SLOSA & take what you have . If you have a firearm that you have a lot of pratice with , you should do well . but remember , your doing it for fun .

I shot a revolver when everyone else ran bottom feeders ( semis ) . I came 1st in my class as long as no one else shot Rev & I was in the top 3/4s - 1/2 , score wise against people that shot semis .
If you use a dble shotgun , make sure it has ejectors not just extractors . That should speed things up . And practice at home . What I did in between shoots was places paper plates randomly all over my house , dry firing & " reloading " as I wen along . Helped me alot when I actually got a the range . The only other thing I'd have to say is remember to breath went you are shooting . The guys timing me would be telling me all the time that I was holding my breath the whole time I was shooting .

Doing a match made realize how much I really neglected my guns by only shooting them at the " range " on paper .

I f I could go up this weekend , I would loan you my pistol or rev but maybe another time .
Old 12-07-2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseless View Post
Yep, you won't know the full potential of your rifle until you have competed in BARC.

That was my Finnish M39. The 182gr heavy ball ammo sawed off the wooden posts when I jerked the cosmoline-drenched trigger.
The muzzle concussion from my Garand blew the close-range paper targets to smithereens the following year.

Thanks for hosting a world class match.
I may have been on your squad that year. When we looked over the low wall at the targets on the ground to score them, there was no tape from the previous shooters. The Garands are also rough on the steel clay-holders thingys.