Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Default Can I buy an 11-round magazine gun without the magazines?

I'm not an FFL myself, just a happy gun owner.

Eyeing an on-roster Beretta 96 from an out-of-state FFL -- but it comes with two 11-round magazines.

Could the FFL legally ship and sell it to me (could I legally buy it) if he were to omit the two magazines from the transaction?

Thanks in advance, fellow CGs, for your always sage insight!

Last edited by drno4; 10-21-2015 at 8:16 PM..
Old 10-20-2015, 12:37 PM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes but you will need 10rd mags to do the safe handgun demo, So have your FFL order you some 10s
Old 10-20-2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21guns View Post
I looked at your past post and you claim to have a CCW. Your exempt from the safe handling demo. Yes you can buy the gun it's up to your FFL to transfer it correctly including the magazines.
OK, but even though I'm exempt from the demo, it is still illegal to transfer into California an 11-round magazine, is it not?

Another question: could the out-of-state FFL block the 11-round mags and ship them as 10-round ammunition feeding devices?
Old 10-20-2015, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drno4 View Post
OK, but even though I'm exempt from the demo, it is still illegal to transfer into California an 11-round magazine, is it not?

Another question: could the out-of-state FFL block the 11-round mags and ship them as 10-round ammunition feeding devices?
They can ship it after they block magazine to 10 rounds capacity, but not many out of state FFL will do that without additional fee
Old 10-20-2015, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg33 View Post
They can ship it after they block magazine to 10 rounds capacity, but not many out of state FFL will do that without additional fee
OK, great. Good to know. Want to stay legal and fully above board.

This particular FFL has actually offered to block the magazines proactively, without an additional fee.

Thanks for the information!
Old 10-20-2015, 4:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drno4 View Post
No, it is legal if the person receiving it has a so-called high capacity magazine permit. If the CA FFL has the permit, they can receive the magazines and convert or sell them for you, rather than losing the magazines. I would suspect that most CA FFLs have the permit.

Quote:
Yes.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 PM

Be careful, there is a very specific model# listed on the roster and according beretta it hasn't been made for quite some time now
Old 10-21-2015, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsh4bass View Post
Be careful, there is a very specific model# listed on the roster and according beretta it hasn't been made for quite some time now
Are you referring to some list other than the Roster of Handguns certified for sale? Because the "Brigadier 96" is on there...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It is the certified list. Any changes to the firearm can mean it is not considered to be on the list.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein