Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Default Application keeps crashing

New Sony laptop i7 with 8GB RAM

When I open QuickBooks 2010 and the file (15MB) the task manager processes says its taking up 230,000 k. Next on the list is Outlook at 50,000 k, then the internet browser and small processes. QuickBooks is running very slow and crashes randomly.

Any ideas? 15MB is a relatively small file and the entire computer runs slow. Its a new computer within the past year and this shouldn't be happening.

Last edited by ripcurlksm; 06-14-2012 at 1:08 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 1:21 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlksm View Post
New Sony laptop i7 with 8GB RAM

When I open QuickBooks 2010 and the file (15MB) the task manager processes says its taking up 230,000 k. Next on the list is Outlook at 50,000 k, then the internet browser and small processes. QuickBooks is running very slow and crashes randomly.

Any ideas? 15MB is a relatively small file and the entire computer runs slow. Its a new computer within the past year and this shouldn't be happening.

Wow. QB (any version) on a laptop = nono.
but the 230k program is most likely your culprit, that combined with other things that like to be running on a laptop 24/7/365. Where is the company file located at? Is it networked? Is it backing up? How big is that transaction log file? You might need to perform a backup wiithin QB in order to shrink down that log file and allow it to digest it a bit easier. I am NOT a QB expert but I am somewhat familiar with it since I had to set it up on a network with about 7 folks running it. ONE of which was a Sony Vaio with Windows 7. I think that business is fine and I have no reported problems lately but I never recommend anything massive or heavy to be run on a sony laptop. Okay, maybe a business class machine but nothing storebought and if you are then please go to task manager and shut things down so that it is under 50 items running with no programs on.

Hope it helps but I could be off by a mile without seeing what else is going on.
Old 06-14-2012, 1:27 PM

You running a firewall?
Quickbooks likes to go onto the internet and keep you updated plus putting your computer at the intuit community help forum.
This takes up resources and will slow you down.

Sending all your top secret data to intuit so they can sell you something else

Running anything with outlook will crash, IMHO don't use them together.
Find out why QB is using so much of your resources.
Good luck.
P.S. I am just searching today for open source replacement for QB, tired of giving them $ for newest version for features I don't use. I could still be using QB from 2004 on floppy disc!
Old 06-14-2012, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Where is the company file located at? Is it networked? Is it backing up? Its in My Documents, unnetworked.

How big is that transaction log file? 15 MB, which seems small

You might need to perform a backup wiithin QB in order to shrink down that log file and allow it to digest it a bit easier. Ok will try

if you are then please go to task manager and shut things down so that it is under 50 items running with no programs on. Will try
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pete View Post
You running a firewall? No

Quickbooks likes to go onto the internet and keep you updated plus putting your computer at the intuit community help forum. Ok I will take a look under the settings

Find out why QB is using so much of your resources. How?
Here are my responses. I am running memtest86 right now to see if there any memory issues. Any other things? Should I update the BIOS?
Old 06-14-2012, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Ok so the file was backed up last week and is currently 15MB.

With just QB opened, its 100,000 K in the processes window. When I open the 15MB file it jumps to 230,000 K.

I looked around in the settings and all i found was something about receiving messages from the internet. Any place in particular? Are you referring to just the standard automatic updates for QB?