Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 74 8.13%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 615 67.58%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 19 2.09%
I paid too much for my Membership! 42 4.62%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.42%
Don't want anything to do with them! 138 15.16%
Voters: 910. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Good to know
Very good to know! Iíve been there before in January but it was never this cold.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
But if you’re bent on getting a ton of good training, it’s a good deal.
Does it make sense that because of time constraints, one can actually have private lessons on the same content as the regular classes? For example, instead of attending, say, a 4DPR; have 2-days (or less) of private lessons? Or to use it fulfill course requirements to get to a higher level class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Cake View Post
They are pretty flexible with the classes. You can schedule whatever timeframe you want - 1 day, 4 day, etc.
I’ve used it several times last year. Weekends fill up faster than mid week. You may have to wait months for weekend. But then you just keep scheduling on a regular basis after that (can book up to 6 months in advance).
Good to know!

Quote:
It’s everything it says it is, the only drawbacks have been it’s “too” good:
If it’s just you it can been intense in that you might feel I like you’re done in a day or two. A 4 day private would be too much for me. Going with a few friends who have private is much better.
Makes absolute sense... Yeah, for private lessons, 4-days would definitely be too intense.

That be said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Depending on my schedule, I may head down in June (HOT) for the Tactical HG and Adv Tactical HG classes for a total of 4-days...
Would anyone chime in on how intense a back-to-back Tactical HG and Adv Tactical HG be for a total of 4-days?

Preferable to break it up?

Thanks!!!

_
Old 02-12-2019, 12:18 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does it make sense that because of time constraints, one can actually have private lessons on the same content as the regular classes? For example, instead of attending, say, a 4DPR; have 2-days (or less) of private lessons? Or to use it fulfill course requirements to get to a higher level class?

Good to know!

Makes absolute sense... Yeah, for private lessons, 4-days would definitely be too intense.

That be said...

Would anyone chime in on how intense a back-to-back Tactical HG and Adv Tactical HG be for a total of 4-days?

Preferable to break it up?

Thanks!!!

_
IME, the private courses have the same curriculum as the regular courses. You will go through it much faster since you're not one of 40 and working in two relays and waiting on the people who screw up.

The private classes can be as intense as you want, or not. You can work at a pace that is comfortable for you. I took a one day private SG and we went through the whole curriculum before lunch. I don't like SG so much so I slacked off after lunch and the instructor and I BSed for a long time. I still didn't DG...

Four days is awesome if you mix things up. If it were up to me, I'd do it all week long. The only time I scheduled my own private classes , I got three days because that was what they had available. Day 1 was half empty hand and half edged weapons. That was a busy day trying to cram as much in as possible. I was the only student so I could just work, work, work. I need to go back and do one day of each. Day 2 was SG. Had the same instructor for Day 2 and 3. Day 3 was long gun tactical. I mainly worked with the rifle (did I mention I don't like shotgun?) and blew through the curriculum pretty quickly. My instructor stuck to the plan and didn't come up with new drills or skills to teach. I ran some drills repeatedly and burned ammo. BSed with the instructor. I felt like I knew his whole life story by the end of the second day with him. He brought his AK out so we tried out each other's guns.

Take Tac HG and Adv Tac HG back to back. It's worth doing them at once. It saves time and money as well.

The most intense 4D class I took was HCMP. I quit on Day 4 at 2PM when I hit the mental and physical wall. I felt bad for quitting, but there was no reason to stay if my performance was declining. I wasn't going to break 100 if I had stayed anyway.

Last edited by DRM6000; 02-12-2019 at 12:21 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM

Definitely do the Tactical HG and Adv Tactical back to back if possible as mentioned already, it saves you another trip and they're well worth it.

IMHO the Adv Tactical is the best class Front Sight offers as it really makes you think your way through scenarios and utilize the skills you've learned in new ways. I don't want to give anything away but you'll enjoy it.
If you're doing them back to back you might consider skipping the night shoot day 1 for Tactical HG as it could make for a really long couple days with 2 night shoots in 4 days. Also, Adv Tactical is more dynamic and can be more physically demanding.

I'll definitely be in Adv Tactical towards the end of May / early June so hope to see some fellow Calgunners there.
Old 02-13-2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
IMHO the Adv Tactical is the best class Front Sight offers as it really makes you think your way through scenarios and utilize the skills you've learned in new ways.
Agree!

Advanced Tactical Handgun is one of the best classes given at Frontsight.

I was so glad to see them bring back the "old" Adv Tact HG curriculum, that I took it three times last year.

Plan to do the same this year....
Old 02-13-2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
The most intense 4D class I took was HCMP. I quit on Day 4 at 2PM when I hit the mental and physical wall.
The Handgun Combat Master test is designed to be mentally challenging.

As you get closer and closer to passing the test, it pushes back at you harder and harder.

The final hurdle that you need to overcome is the mental aspects, not the shooting...
Old 02-14-2019, 5:31 PM

WhAt about the night/day. Handgun or rifle course. Can they be taken at the same time or is that too much for one visit?
Old 02-14-2019, 5:33 PM

What about the day/night rifle courses. Can they be taken together. Or is that too much for one visit?
Old 02-15-2019, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, my wife and I were in ranges #3 and #29. We were in the same class.

How have you, your daughter and your buddy been since December?

Planning another trip to FS?

Depending on my schedule, I may head down in June (HOT) for the Tactical HG and Adv Tactical HG classes for a total of 4-days...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

_
We are all doing good. Hope all is going well with you guys.
We are looking at another trip in the fall no dates yet, probably a 4 day rifle class.
Old 02-15-2019, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
IME, the private courses have the same curriculum as the regular courses. You will go through it much faster since you're not one of 40 and working in two relays and waiting on the people who screw up.
Good to know!

Okay - sounds like the private classes are indeed a good deal. I will just wait for my new credit card so I can rack up some travel miles.

Quote:
Four days is awesome if you mix things up.
Sweet!

Quote:
Take Tac HG and Adv Tac HG back to back. It's worth doing them at once. It saves time and money as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
Definitely do the Tactical HG and Adv Tactical back to back if possible as mentioned already, it saves you another trip and they're well worth it.

IMHO the Adv Tactical is the best class Front Sight offers as it really makes you think your way through scenarios and utilize the skills you've learned in new ways. I don't want to give anything away but you'll enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_G22 View Post
Agree!

Advanced Tactical Handgun is one of the best classes given at Frontsight
Okay... Okay... Stop the suspense....

Let me revisit my schedule and check against Front Sight's calendar. I may need to spend a week in Alabama to accompany my eldest to Space Camp around late May early June.

I am definitely going to take Tactical back-to-back...!!!

Cheers, and thanks as always for your replies...

_
Old 02-15-2019, 7:56 AM

space camp is awesome I went while I was in high school a long time ago.
Old 02-15-2019, 2:11 PM
CGN Contributor

rodralig, one more thing about the private classes and the curriculum. While the curriculum is standard for the most part, the one-on-one attention is worth it. You can work on things until you get it right, you can ask questions and discuss things. You may end up with some nuggets of wisdom. You have the time you don't have in the regular school course. It's your class and get a say in how it's run.

Some instructors will teach things that is not in the curriculum. You hope that you will have an awesome, experienced rangemaster who has been-there and done-that and is willing to impart some of knowledge to you. I've had instructors feed me tactical knowledge and skills on the down-low in the regular classes. But can you imagine having a personal instructor in your own classes teaching extra stuff? You get who is assigned to your class, though.
Old 02-15-2019, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

For peeps taking classes this weekend or next week, check your favorite weather app. Not going to pleasant.

Snow at Front Sight is gonna be awesome though.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 02-15-2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
For peeps taking classes this weekend or next week, check your favorite weather app. Not going to pleasant.

Snow at Front Sight is gonna be awesome though.
Yeah, I've been out in the snow/slush in February for a rifle class years ago....

It just added to the "combat mindset"

And, it was FREE... didn't have to pay for the Frontsight, snow included, membership upgrade....