Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-10-2012, 7:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default What does it take to satisfy a bogus 911 call?

It just got done raining (or maybe not) and you get a call that a land line made a call to 911 and hung up. Dispatch could not call back the number and get an answer so it gets made into a call. Does it matter what time of day this happened?

You show up to a house that is quiet and after knocking on the door, greeted by a guy that acts somewhat surprised that you are even there at the door and that a 911 call was placed from the location.

When he says nobody called is that it and do you close the call and leave?
BTW, running the vehicle plates in clets shows nothing out of the ordinary and all reg is up to date. Further more the house address and owner info comes back negative for any warrants or priors.

Does it matter if it was at 2:30 in the morning, just got done raining and there were no lights on in the house?

Does it matter if it was middle of the day?

This particular scenario happened at 2:30 in the morning right after a heavy rain and it was still lightly raining durring the knocking.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 11-10-2012, 8:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
It just got done raining (or maybe not) and you get a call that a land line made a call to 911 and hung up. Dispatch could not call back the number and get an answer so it gets made into a call. Does it matter what time of day this happened?

You show up to a house that is quiet and after knocking on the door, greeted by a guy that acts somewhat surprised that you are even there at the door and that a 911 call was placed from the location.

BTW, running the vehicle plates in clets shows nothing out of the ordinary and all reg is up to date. Further more the house address and owner info comes back negative for any warrants or priors.

Does it matter if it was at 2:30 in the morning, just got done raining and there were no lights on in the house?

This particular scenario happened at 2:30 in the morning right after a heavy rain and it was still lightly raining durring the knocking.
I don't understand the question.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 11-10-2012, 9:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How do you know its bogus and that he's not in the middle of burying the body in the back yard?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post

Accidental 911 calls happen regularly, particularly when people are trying to make international calls. Sometimes, it is a child playing on the phone. Other times, it is just a bad phone line that causes it.

Unless there was obvious malicious intent, nothing happens in terms of any action being taken against the resident. However, what the cop should do, with a partner, is be diligent and ask if anyone else is home and then ask to check inside to make sure everyone is ok. You never know....someone could have called 911, pulled away from the phone or worse. I have seen it all and any cop will tell you anything is possible and most any scenario you can think of, has happened.

Until we have confirmed nothing is wrong, we have to assume something is wrong.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I worked in an area that one of the local prefixes was "912" so we got a ton of 911 hangups. It was easily cured if the person would just say "sorry, wrong number" instead of just hanging up.

There were a lot of wasted man hours showing "due diligence"making sure everything was ok.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 11-11-2012, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Moisture in telephone lines is a known cause of false 911 triggers...but that doesn't make a reaction dismissive, its simply another piece of information.
Old 11-14-2012, 2:03 PM

Depends on several factors:
A) have I eaten yet?
B) am I on my way to get or to the Company after getting food?
C) is it raining still?
D) do I have to go #1 or #2?
E) do I have a paper from an earlier run?
F) is if my partner's paper? Then I'll find you a headless corpse.
G) did I mention food??

Seriously though, I have rarely gone so far as to run plates out front, or run the guy or gal opening the door. 911 hangups is usually one unit and one cover (4 cops total if the cover shows up), but if there is nothing obvious and my hair doesn't stand up, I'm clearing ASAP. Have other stuff to do. Knock knock, you all good? I'm gone.

If something tickled me I'd go deeper. But if a sleepy looking home owner opens up, I say check your phone lines and clear.
Old 11-14-2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
There were a lot of wasted man hours showing "due diligence"making sure everything was ok.
...and there still is Ron...it is especially annoying when you are busy running around from call to call all day.

P.S. You ought to see the new MDC's. Gone, are the days of the MDT. It is pretty wazoo stuff.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-14-2012, 7:44 PM

Rain can case weird phone problems. Other than that i have no freeking clue

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Requiro Pax Sed Praeparo Nam Bellum
Old 11-14-2012, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
...and there still is Ron...it is especially annoying when you are busy running around from call to call all day.

P.S. You ought to see the new MDC's. Gone, are the days of the MDT. It is pretty wazoo stuff.
Like your dad, paper logs, wheel guns, and no hand held radios. The outside speaker was on for every t-stop.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 11-15-2012, 7:58 AM
Jonathan Doe

911 hang up is always checked anytime of the day or night. At least it was like that when I was on patrol in early 90s. Because, you never know the circumstances.
Old 11-15-2012, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Like your dad, paper logs, wheel guns, and no hand held radios. The outside speaker was on for every t-stop.
I used a model 15 between 1990 and 1995 before I took the Beretta class. However, I was fortunate enough to not have to worry about paper logs when I went to patrol ;-)

The new MDC's make it so easy now. Also, Leroy's vision of a paperless department is almost fully implemented since you can now type out your reports on the new MDC and then print them up in the station. All the resources accessible on the computers inside the station can now be accessed in the field on an MDC, including email.

Old 11-15-2012, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, that's something positive from Uncle Leroy.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 11-15-2012, 1:48 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
I used a model 15 between 1990 and 1995 before I took the Beretta class. However, I was fortunate enough to not have to worry about paper logs when I went to patrol ;-)

The new MDC's make it so easy now. Also, Leroy's vision of a paperless department is almost fully implemented since you can now type out your reports on the new MDC and then print them up in the station. All the resources accessible on the computers inside the station can now be accessed in the field on an MDC, including email.
I am partial to the crusty old MDT with the bouncing screen and letters worn off the keys.
Old 11-15-2012, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, that's something positive from Uncle Leroy.
Even broken clocks can be right twice a day...
Old 11-15-2012, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am not LEO. It has happened at my home a couple of times. Once, dispatch called and stated there had been a 911 hangup at my address, but then stated the address of a residence nearly 10 miles away. The phone lines used to be pretty screwy around here, I assume that was the cause.

The other, more recent occurrence was odd. My wife had been on the phone with a relative back east for an hour or so. She hung up and noticed the message light was blinking. It was a message from dispatch about a minute prior to her hanging up regarding a 911 call. I tried calling the "non-emergency" number about 5 times with no answer and that's about the time a couple of SO units arrived.

I explained that my wife had been on the phone at the time and could not have made a 911 call. One of the officers asked if it was a cordless phone (yes) and if the battery was low (yes- that's why she got off the phone). He then told me it happens all the time with cordless phones when the battery is dying. Apparently, the "beep-beep-beep" low battery signal the phone plays in the earpiece can be interpreted as 9-1-1 digits by the telco system.

I had never heard of that, but it seems to be the only reasonable explanation.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Accidental 911 calls happen regularly, particularly when people are trying to make international calls. Sometimes, it is a child playing on the phone. Other times, it is just a bad phone line that causes it.

Unless there was obvious malicious intent, nothing happens in terms of any action being taken against the resident. However, what the cop should do, with a partner, is be diligent and ask if anyone else is home and then ask to check inside to make sure everyone is ok. You never know....someone could have called 911, pulled away from the phone or worse. I have seen it all and any cop will tell you anything is possible and most any scenario you can think of, has happened.

Until we have confirmed nothing is wrong, we have to assume something is wrong.
That was exactly what they did. They asked about anyone else dialing and asked if the guy at the door (me) would go check and because I had nothing to hide I let them inside the house where they got a little too nosey.

I was talking with another code officer at work about what happened and said that I was being nice by letting them come inside and I should have said all was fine and closed the door and went to bed but then he told me that if I had done that right there they would have had a reason to get backup and come after me for not cooperating or what did he call it, exigent circumstances or something. I argued that he was full of it and they would not just kick in the door or get backup because I told them nobody called and then said to leave me alone and close the door but he seemed to think that that was a reason to believe that I was hiding something and further action would be needed. Anyways, I figured it best to ask this here and get a real answer before the thread got hijacked (pun intended).

Thanks. I think I was right and I should have just asked them to leave me be and I should have told them that my phone did not even work and was full of static but they did not say anything about the phone or moisture. If it happens again I will be *****ing at the phone company.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 11-19-2012, 5:44 PM

I get them all the time where I work after it rains. residents cut old phone lines on broken down unoccupied dwellings, etc. We go, Check out the place, IF there is a homeowner: check the circs (look into the house and check for irregularities, screaming people?, use the senses!) but normally we know the local people and what houses are the problem ones. If all checks out, 98N the call.

Praise be to the Lord, my Rock, who has trained my hands for war and my fingers for battle.Psalm 144:1