Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-08-2009, 7:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got my Marlin rebate check today. Glad to see that not only they honor it but also it's not too bad a turn-around-time.
Old 06-09-2009, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
I got my Marlin rebate check today. Glad to see that not only they honor it but also it's not too bad a turn-around-time.

how long was the wait?
Old 06-09-2009, 7:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

less than 1 month, including the days in transit when I mailed it and when it was mailed to me. so probably 2-3 weeks processing.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
I just got mine as well, seemed to be about a month for me too.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

i just picked up my gun from big 5. I'll be sending in my rebate forms soon. I'll post pics of the the setup when I get a chance.
Old 06-09-2009, 2:38 PM

Ok, so I live by the coast...(under 1 mile, actually).

I've been looking near and far for a Marlin 795 in stainless, but haven't found one. Is there anywhere you guys have seen one (in SoCal?)
Old 06-10-2009, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbiii View Post
Ok, so I live by the coast...(under 1 mile, actually).

I've been looking near and far for a Marlin 795 in stainless, but haven't found one. Is there anywhere you guys have seen one (in SoCal?)
I looked for one as well, but decided to go with the 795 in good old fashioned blued steel that people have been using for a hundred years.

I just sent my rebate in, and am partially done with my set up as well. Pictures in a couple days! I'm thinking about painting the stock green, tan or gray but haven't decided.
Old 06-10-2009, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dcbiii Ok, so I live by the coast...(under 1 mile, actually).

I live a few blocks from the ocean here in Santa Cruz, and never have had rust and corrosion issues. Simply oil the weapons about once a year and wipe them down whenever handling the blued parts.
Don't worry about it unless it is stored at the ocean front or onboard a vessel.

Single fin mentality
Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post
Grats Koko, let us know how she shoots compared to the ruger!
Went out with the 795 for the first time today. As promised, I brought my late 80's Deluxe Sporter Ruger 10/22 along. I really like how the Marlin handles. It's thinner than the Ruger and a real featherweight.

Ran about 150 rounds through each gun. Ammo was Federal 36 gr HV HP bulk from WalMart. Since both rifles have iron sights, (and my eyes are old) I had one of my teenage sons do the 25 yard testing. During the day, the Ruger stove piped a few rounds. The Marlin did not have this problem. The Marlin shot a bit to the right. So a sight alignment will be in order.

As you can see, the Ruger won the grouping test....

We also brought our late model Marlin 925 bolt action rimfire with scope. The 925 has a 7 shot clip. The 795's 10 rounder worked in the Marlin bolt but the 7 rounder from the 925 would not fit the 795.

KP

Last edited by Kokopelli; 06-12-2009 at 5:42 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Went out with the 795 for the first time today. As promised, I brought my late 80's Deluxe Sporter Ruger 10/22 along. I really like how the Marlin handles. It's thinner than the Ruger and a real featherweight.

Ran about 150 rounds through each gun. Ammo was Federal 36 gr HV HP bulk from WalMart. Since both rifles have iron sights, (and my eyes are old) I had one of my teenage sons do the 25 yard testing. During the day, the Ruger stove piped a few rounds. The Marlin did not have this problem. The Marlin shot a bit to the right. So a sight alignment will be in order.

As you can see, the Ruger won the grouping test....

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...22_79525yd.jpg

We also brought our late model Marlin 725 bolt action rimfire with scope. The 725 has a 7 shot clip. The 795's 10 rounder worked in the Marlin bolt but the 7 rounder from the 725 would not fit the 795.

KP
925? Also, nice comparison I can't wait to see how mine does.
Old 06-12-2009, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, toopercentmlk. You are correct about the model number. I fixed it.
Old 06-12-2009, 6:41 PM

As promised, here are some pictures of my new plinking rig. I call it the "G.I. Field Marksman Plinker"

Specs:
- Marlin 795
- Tech-Sights aperture sights, secured with Uncle Mikes Gun-tite
- Uncle Mikes 1-1/4" Quick-detachable sling swivels, blued.
- G.I. nylon web sling
- 3 additional 10rd nickel magazines. A little pricey but they were available.
- Stock, plans of dura-coat. I'm thinking a solid earth tone. FDE , GREEN? Red tiger striped? :P

Am I doing this right? I read an online .pdf instruction guide and so far it feels nice and stable!

Sight picture/Rear sight

Front sight post!

Lastly, here's a focused shot of the rear sight and as you can see there is a very small burr inside the aperture disc.

Technically it's an imperfection but its not bad enough to send back since I could probably chip it off easily and it doesn't distract me as much as it annoys me!

Although owning a couple, I'm new to rifles and I'm very excited to learn proper marksmanship with this .22 and I plan on updating with a decent range report in the near future. I hope my enthusiasm in this thread helps someone out!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Here's a pic of my marlin 795 I just got. Slapped a bushnell rimfire 3x-9x scope on it and a harris bipod on it tonight

Old 06-29-2009, 2:40 PM

After a couple times at the range, I experienced miss fires from what I believed were from light primer strikes. Instead of sending it to marlin and waiting forever I took it back to Big5 and after a world of hassle they took it back. I don't blame Marlin, it's always a risk with cheap .22s so I wasn't completely surprised. If I don't end up getting another one or a 925(bolt action) I will have 3 10rd magazines and perfect condition Tech-Sights for sale. They've all been used and had maybe 40 rounds fed through them each, so theyre like new so whoever wants more mags let me know and you can have dibs if I don't need them. This isn't a for sale post, just feedback from my rifles trips to the range.

Last edited by toopercentmlk; 06-29-2009 at 2:44 PM..
Old 06-29-2009, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopercentmlk View Post
After a couple times at the range, I experienced miss fires from what I believed were from light primer strikes. Instead of sending it to marlin and waiting forever I took it back to Big5 and after a world of hassle they took it back. I don't blame Marlin, it's always a risk with cheap .22s so I wasn't completely surprised. If I don't end up getting another one or a 925(bolt action) I will have 3 10rd magazines and perfect condition Tech-Sights for sale. They've all been used and had maybe 40 rounds fed through them each, so theyre like new so whoever wants more mags let me know and you can have dibs if I don't need them. This isn't a for sale post, just feedback from my rifles trips to the range.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would try another one as I haven't heard too many complaints about malfunctions. Mine has a few hundred rounds through it and hasn't had a single hiccup!

Hopefully it works out for you.
Old 06-29-2009, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would try another one as I haven't heard too many complaints about malfunctions. Mine has a few hundred rounds through it and hasn't had a single hiccup!

Hopefully it works out for you.
Yea I want to stress that I don't blame Marlin, the only blame I'd have would be Big5 if they never took care of the issue for me. I certainly do prefer the mom & pop style service that you find at those shops. The lemon I bought did cue some buyers remorse as well, I'm certain I want a bolt action now! Someone please convince me to pick up a 925, if I don't I think I see a CZ 452 and a light weight wallet in my future.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

This is what my Marlin 795 did today at 100 yards with Federal HPHV and a 5 mph cross wind. Doing this using the stock iron sights and my old eyes, I am happy with the Marlin! No jams, either.

Old 07-18-2009, 4:22 PM

Can somebody tell mer where to buy an Archangel look alike stock for Marli 795, im tired of my Marlin 795 original stock, want to replace it for new looks. I dont like the ATI Dragunof Style. It does not fit exactly. any suggestion, anybody please.
Old 07-18-2009, 5:30 PM

Only stock, besides the ATI, is the Muzzelite Bullpup.
Old 07-22-2009, 1:46 PM

Did anyone ever find extra 10rd mags under 25 besides midwest hunters outlet? With s&h its like 25 anyway.
My friend found them in livermore for 25, but I was hoping to find something a bit more.. affordable.
This reloading clips constantly is really cutting into my 15 min firing times at the range. gettin tired of it, but don't want to break the bank..
Old 07-22-2009, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoon View Post
Did anyone ever find extra 10rd mags under 25 besides midwest hunters outlet? With s&h its like 25 anyway.
My friend found them in livermore for 25, but I was hoping to find something a bit more.. affordable.
This reloading clips constantly is really cutting into my 15 min firing times at the range. gettin tired of it, but don't want to break the bank..
They didn't have any extra mags when I initially bought the rifle. Fortunately, I ended up going back to Big 5 for something else a few weeks later and found a 10 round for $17.99. They only had one, otherwise I would have bought more, but they do get restocked.

I also found a 7 round mag at a small local shop for about the same price. I now have 2 10 round and 1 7 round mag for this rifle. 27 rounds sounds like a bunch, but in a .22 it goes fast!

Check your local spots, you might get lucky and it never hurts to support the local places.
Old 07-22-2009, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

I got an extra mag from Big5 for $17.99 and another from Bass Pro for $19. Three lets me burn through ammo faster.
Old 07-23-2009, 1:40 AM

I seeeee.. So there may be some out there just waiting to be plucked by yours truly..
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-23-2009, 7:59 AM

here's a website $17.54 and 152 in stock

http://oneclickshooting.com/proddetail.asp?prod=41176
Old 07-23-2009, 8:52 AM

Just call your local Big5s. I picked up one when I picked up my rifle a couple days ago.
Old 07-23-2009, 1:37 PM

Just came back for Big 5 , They got them there for 15 and change.
Old 07-25-2009, 4:57 PM

Anyone elses 795 dirty when they bought it? I finally got a chance to clean mine after picking it up this week and didn't expect the left side of the bolt to be black and rough looking. The barrel had a decent amount of gunpowder inside. How many rounds does Marlin shoot to test a rifle?
Old 07-25-2009, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, my 795 was dirty out of the box. The manufacturer did not clean it after they fired the proof load in it. When I got it home, I disassembled, cleaned and lubed it. I found some fine aluminum shavings in the bold/receiver from the machining process.

All that aside, I truly like this rifle and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 07-26-2009, 7:56 AM

Big 5 has a 795 on sale for $159.99, and I'm thinking about not buying a new 10/22 since I've been reading poor reviews about the newer models (plastic trigger housing, misaligned scope mounts)

I've been thinking that since I don't really plan to replace a lot of the parts and tacticool out my gun, the 795 would be a much better option for me? Anyone else have any input? Seems like there are a lot of 795 owners in this thread, and I've seen some good stuff.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
Big 5 has a 795 on sale for $159.99, and I'm thinking about not buying a new 10/22 since I've been reading poor reviews about the newer models (plastic trigger housing, misaligned scope mounts)

I've been thinking that since I don't really plan to replace a lot of the parts and tacticool out my gun, the 795 would be a much better option for me? Anyone else have any input? Seems like there are a lot of 795 owners in this thread, and I've seen some good stuff.
If you aren't going to replace everything, then the 795 is a good bet. Mine has functioned flawlessly and seems to be really accurate, although I have only used the irons, no optics yet.

There is still the $20 rebate as well, mine showed up about a month after I mailed it in, bought some ammo with it!
Old 07-26-2009, 1:20 PM

As of August 6th I will be the proud owner of a Marlin 795. My first rifle!
Old 07-26-2009, 1:59 PM

Congrats! Post some pics up after your first range trip. I guarantee, you will have fun with it!
Old 07-26-2009, 2:31 PM
Banned

The 795 has functioned flawless for me so far. I have about 2000 rounds down the pipe. I have no complaints and I been really happy with it. I got my $20 rebate about 1.5 months after I bought the gun. I bought a cheap rimfire scope for the marlin that works well but the cheap rings that came with the scope does not hold well enough on the rail since it slowly creeps back. Shoot it more and the heavy trigger will soften up a bit
Old 07-26-2009, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the new rifle, Caseus. Now the real hunt begins; the hunt for ammo! Hehe...

Just mounted one of these on mine today. Anyone have suggestions for mounting the momentary switch? http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...ailerid=-98565
Old 07-26-2009, 4:28 PM

maybe on the right side of the monte carlo stock where your right palm would be? (assuming you are a right handed shooter) either that or under the stock directly below the rear sights for your off hand to activate it. i got one of these lasers too but find it not very accurate and flimsy. didnt expect more for 15 bucks though.
Old 07-26-2009, 4:48 PM

Since this is the 795 thread I was hoping someone could help me out. I took apart my rifle, not just the stock, but the receiver and all the parts and im having a hard time putting it back together since i do not have much experience with doing such.
I know, stupid right, but I was having a really bad issue of the 795 only firing the first round, the 2nd round would go in the chamber but nothing happened when i pulled the trigger.
anyways, i dont know how the sear and the sear spring are placed. And how the hammer strut bridge holds the hammer strut in place. If anyone knows how to help that would be great. I can provide pics of my progress if anyone needs it. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

The Marlin 60 is the tube magazine version of your rifle and is very similar:
http://www.4shared.com/file/27056203...on_assy_a.html

This link discusses it and also gives a link for PowerPoint; so you can view the "how to" created by Arrowdodger and his daughter, a couple of years ago:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,24657.0.html

Google Marlin .22 action assembly and you will find more basic how tos, no doubt; but Arrowdodger's is one of the best.

Rimfire Central also discusses it in a .22 subforum for Marlin.

Good luck and have fun with your new project.
Better yet, read the whole thread that you are now reading; this info has already been posted a couple of monthe ago...

Single fin mentality
Old 07-26-2009, 7:37 PM

i took a look at the powerpoint and it was really good, but since it is a slightly different receiver, the exact part i need clarification on is not covered well. The sear spring has a resting point on the 60 and not on the 795 so i still am not sure what to do with it. the sear starts dangling and so does the sear spring
Old 07-26-2009, 8:01 PM

i know this is gonna sound noobish but can anyone take a few pics of their 795 receiver, specifically the area of the sear and sear spring. I cannot figure out how the spring is supposed to sit. The first time i took it apart down to the receiver, the spring was already sticking out so i am assuming it came out of place a while ago
Old 07-26-2009, 8:07 PM

alright, disregard, im a huge noob and think i figured it out. I think the sear spring fell off the resting point of the magazine lever assembly so it wasnt firing properly. thanks for all the input