Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-16-2013, 9:33 PM

Default Calif Sig P238

There out now. Just saw one at Sac Black Rifle. Little pricey for a .380, but its out. The gun just came in today. Quality piece.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 PM

how much were they going for?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 PM

The one I saw was $639.00??? Something like that.

My son (LEO) has the non-Calif approved model and this Calif model had a better trigger. The loaded chamber indicator was on top of the slide and looked a tad ugly. However, its not a "show" gun so for a carry gun it "looked" fine. Stainless looking slide over a dark blue frame.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM
CGN Contributor

Its a neat little gun I have the H D P238. Its not cheap but a well made gun.
Old 01-24-2013, 3:00 PM

My lady keeps one by her bedside. They are very nice and well built, and it's not a bad shooter. Much more enjoyable to shoot than the LCP.
Old 01-24-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
There out now. Just saw one at Sac Black Rifle. Little pricey for a .380, but its out. The gun just came in today. Quality piece.
Did it look like this but w/o the Ca compliant modifications? This Sig Sauer website photo is a model 238-380-TSS two tone which is not on the CA roster and has a MSRP of $639.00. CA roster model is: 238-380-TSS-CA.
I just couldn't wait for it to land on CA dirt late last summer so I bought the all stainless steel HDW via SSE. NOT FOR SALE.

Last edited by nickel plate; 12-11-2013 at 6:56 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 5:28 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Did it look like this but w/o the Ca compliant modifications? This Sig Sauer website photo is a model 238-380-TSS two tone which is not on the CA roster and has a MSRP of $639.00. CA roster model is: 238-380-TSS-CA.
I just couldn't wait for it to land on CA dirt late last summer so I bought the all stainless steel HDW via SSE. NOT FOR SALE.
Wild Bill's responded to my email. They have one P238 in two tone. Price is $899! Not sure if it's the CA compliant one though.

Last edited by Dumas1012; 01-24-2013 at 5:34 PM.. Reason: Added content
Old 01-24-2013, 5:43 PM

nickel plate,

Yes it did...........The chamber indicator was on top and flipped up when the gun is loaded. It looked like a really nice carry gun.
Old 01-25-2013, 5:25 AM

Location: Buckeye Arizona. Formerly of Redding, Shasta County
Default Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirrad View Post
My lady keeps one by her bedside. They are very nice and well built, and it's not a bad shooter. Much more enjoyable to shoot than the LCP.
Can you elaborate? When you say it is not a bad shooter, do you mean it doesn't shoot too bad, but not really good? Or do you mean it is a very accurate, hit the point of aim type gun? So basically I want to know how accurate it is if you can tell me.

I currently carry a Kahr P380, and it shoots very accurately, but I hate the long DA pull of the trigger every time I fire it. But I can hit decently out to about 25 yards with it, which is the farthest I have ever tried being at an indoor range. I really like the look of the P238 Desert model.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal
Old 01-25-2013, 5:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed02 View Post
Can you elaborate? When you say it is not a bad shooter, do you mean it doesn't shoot too bad, but not really good? Or do you mean it is a very accurate, hit the point of aim type gun? So basically I want to know how accurate it is if you can tell me.

I currently carry a Kahr P380, and it shoots very accurately, but I hate the long DA pull of the trigger every time I fire it. But I can hit decently out to about 25 yards with it, which is the farthest I have ever tried being at an indoor range. I really like the look of the P238 Desert model.
I shoot tighter groups with the P-238 than I do with my XD sub .40.(with trigger job)

The 238 is a real good shooter for such a small piece. And the trigger, you'll probably need a 1911 to get a better one.
Old 01-25-2013, 7:20 AM

Dumas1012,
That price is higher that what I paid for my all stainless HDW at the same store but before all the buying frenzy took place or maybe due to limited production costs if it is a true California model?

Seaweed02,
I'm pleased with the SIGLITE night sites and the accuracy. A contributing factor may be due to the HDW's extra 5 ounces of S.S. weight.
I am not pleased with the 7.5-8.5 pound trigger pull.

CAUTION to all of the new P238 owners-after cleaning and when reassembling the slide, push the ejector down ONLY FAR ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE SLIDE. Push too far down and the ejector can become lodged into the framework which according to Sig will require a trip back to them for a factory repair. There may be a home repair fix for this condition but haven't (yet) needed to find one.
Old 01-25-2013, 8:16 AM

The fix for a stuck ejector is actually simple. Remove the left side grip panel. Flip the gun upsidedown. Push the leg of the sear spring on the ejector till gravity allowa ejector to drop in proper position. And then you're done.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Location: Buckeye Arizona. Formerly of Redding, Shasta County
Default Nickel Plate and Dis

Nickel Plate and Dis,

Thank you both for giving me some info. I really want to buy one of these Sig P238 pistols, and I hope to find one soon. So far I haven't been able to locate one in my area. Maybe soon.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal
Old 01-25-2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumas1012 View Post
Wild Bill's responded to my email. They have one P238 in two tone. Price is $899! Not sure if it's the CA compliant one though.
at that price range, I would rather go with EMP for 1000$.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:15 PM

Guess it would help to be a bit more specific, huh?

This is a non-CA version in black with night sights. I would say it shoots very well and is very accurate. We've only put 100, maybe 200 rounds through it, but so far I'm pleased with the accuracy. Trigger is kinda heavy but considering it's role, that's fine.

Don't have a Kahr, but imagine the DA pull is very, very long like the LCP. Which makes it not much fun to shoot. But then again, these aren't range toys, right?

But it is fun to shoot bunny fart rounds out of since it has real sights, feels like a mini 1911 and is accurate. Next time at the range I'll try to remember to save a target.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

FYI,

My P-238 SAS was $719 otd back in November, including a 20rnd box of Hornady critical defense,
but that was in Idaho.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:42 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbayguy View Post
at that price range, I would rather go with EMP for 1000$.
Or a Solo.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirrad View Post
Guess it would help to be a bit more specific, huh?

This is a non-CA version in black with night sights. I would say it shoots very well and is very accurate. We've only put 100, maybe 200 rounds through it, but so far I'm pleased with the accuracy. Trigger is kinda heavy but considering it's role, that's fine.

Don't have a Kahr, but imagine the DA pull is very, very long like the LCP. Which makes it not much fun to shoot. But then again, these aren't range toys, right?

But it is fun to shoot bunny fart rounds out of since it has real sights, feels like a mini 1911 and is accurate. Next time at the range I'll try to remember to save a target.
Absolutely right on however I wouldn't want to be in the way of the bunny farts.

Last edited by nickel plate; 01-25-2013 at 3:41 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Very nice little gun, but little too much $$$ for me..