Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-15-2018, 9:33 PM

Default Question for members that lives in a FREE State on private purchase

A friend who lives in a free state want to purchase a $900 handgun (private sale). His main concern is . . . what happen if the gun is in stolen status.

The seller lives in a different county and with travel, time and the $900, he would be out a bit. The $900 handgun price is in line with current market value. Everything sounds ok, no obvious red flags. The seller would provide bill of sale.

His local PD will not make a courtesy NCIC lookup and rightfully so.

Even the seller does not know 100% if the gun is stolen or not because he bought it privately prior as well and his local PD also will not do NCIC.

So at this point, is there anything can be done to make sure its not stolen or is it just a gamble.

Appreciate your input.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:07 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Is the buyer originally from CA?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Is the buyer originally from CA?
Buyer was born in CA, however, moved and lives in NV for over 30 years now.
Old 01-16-2018, 4:27 AM
Proud Deplorable
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post
Buyer was born in CA, however, moved and lives in NV for over 30 years now.
Then he should know better. Tell him to either buy the thing or don’t. When he meets the seller his gut should tell him everything he needs to know. I’ve bought many guns in Walmart parking lots, never had a problem. I never understood the “well there’s a 1% chance it's stolen, so let’s worry” notion.
/thread.

ΦΑ
Old 01-16-2018, 5:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
Then he should know better. Tell him to either buy the thing or don’t. When he meets the seller his gut should tell him everything he needs to know. I’ve bought many guns in Walmart parking lots, never had a problem. I never understood the “well there’s a 1% chance it's stolen, so let’s worry” notion.
This.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 01-16-2018, 6:24 AM

Either way guns in better hands after purchase, right?
Old 01-16-2018, 6:38 AM

When purchasing tell him to take a bill of sale and have the seller sign it and take a picture of each others license.
That way he can print it out, keep it with the BOS in the safe.
Ive had to do this multiple times in Az.

It clears you of wrongdoing but if the odd chance the weapon is stolen, they confiscate it unless its been a long period of time.
Old 01-16-2018, 7:09 AM

We are now required/supposed to do backgrounds here.

I used to run courtesy stolen checks on private sale guns all the time (LEDS/NCIC), also for bikes, trailers, small campers, phones, you name it.

Have your friend call around, the gun will show stolen nationwide, shouldn't matter who he calls.

Last edited by wayoutwest; 01-16-2018 at 4:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2018, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

A BGC will not tell if a gun is stolen. You can have the local PD run the serial number to see if the gun comes back as stolen.

Once upon a time I bought a Ruger Mk2 pistol. From a Nashville Metro cop, through an evidence technician. About a year later I got pulled over in Reno and the cop ran the serial number on the gun. Turns out it was stolen. I was in jail for about 5 hours until I could bond out. The DA dropped the charges against me because the gun had disappeared from the Police evidence lockup at the Nashville airport (pre TSA), and since I had no access to that facility and had no reason to believe I was buying a stolen item, I was GTG. Also since I provided the name of the evidence tech and a list of the other items the cop had for sale, Nashville PD had been led to making some other interesting discoveries.

Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".
Old 01-16-2018, 8:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
^This. Don't over think a simple gun purchase. I do not record DL info unless the weapon is C&R and then I'm required to get basic info from the seller or buyer.
The coast of California
Must be somewhere over here, over here
Greatful Dead
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 01-16-2018, 8:46 AM

I'd say if he's worried then don't buy ppt.

PPT where I live is simple.. Meet someone, checkout the gun, maybe chat with the seller abit... Can do a bill of sale... Don't have to. Buy it..drive away..
No registration.. Simple

The California mindset makes people worry too much.
Old 01-16-2018, 9:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i can understand OP friend's fear.

i mean i wouldn't want to be out $900 on the chance that the gun is stolen, nor deal with the police concerning a stolen firearm.

i'm surprised the local PD won't run a serial# check of the pistol. that should be something the police should be happy to do in order to help prevent & recover stolen firearms.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 01-16-2018, 9:35 AM
previously bloodhawke83
CGN Contributor

Nv is no longer a free state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Old 01-16-2018, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
i can understand OP friend's fear.

i mean i wouldn't want to be out $900 on the chance that the gun is stolen, nor deal with the police concerning a stolen firearm.

i'm surprised the local PD won't run a serial# check of the pistol. that should be something the police should be happy to do in order to help prevent & recover stolen firearms.
It sounds like he asked them to do a NICS check on a PPT, which they wont do, and would not matter anyway since they would not run the serial number on a NICS check.

Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Yeah he just doesn't want any issues down the road if that 1% turns out to be true. Its understandable we all try to mitigate risk but in this case, if NCIC is not available to him, its pretty much luck of the draw then. Thanks all.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah he just doesn't want any issues down the road if that 1% turns out to be true. Its understandable we all try to mitigate risk but in this case, if NCIC is not available to him, its pretty much luck of the draw then. Thanks all.

The police will happily run a serial number check to see if it comes back as stolen.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
I'd say if he's worried then don't buy ppt.

PPT where I live is simple.. Meet someone, checkout the gun, maybe chat with the seller abit... Can do a bill of sale... Don't have to. Buy it..drive away..
No registration.. Simple

The California mindset makes people worry too much.

Exactly my thoughts as I witnessed my son purchase a handgun in a Walmart parking lot in Utah. Get a copy (picture) of the Bill of Sale if you are worried.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM
🇺🇸 Jack-Booted Gov Thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Count me in the "know by your gut" group, but...

http://www.hotgunz.com/

Based on self-reported serials and by no means comprehensive, but i've seen it floated from time to time.

-------
Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shotjoe View Post
Nv is no longer a free state.
how so?

i've been here going on 3 years now and it's amazing the difference between NV and CA

Today I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I AM THE STORM."

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneeasy View Post
I got eager cuz I love me some 20"
Old 01-16-2018, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Here we shake hands, exchange money for private property, shake hands again, and leave. If your gut tells you he's a ****bag, walk away. Would your buddy run serial numbers on a used lawn mower or dewalt drill off Craigslist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 1:45 PM
previously bloodhawke83
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
how so?

i've been here going on 3 years now and it's amazing the difference between NV and CA
Private part transfers require background checks at ffl

Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Old 01-16-2018, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

My understanding is that law was struck down.

Old 01-16-2018, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
My understanding is that law was struck down.
While the Nevada Question 1 passed, requiring background checks on all firearm transfers, the enforcement is blocked:

https://ballotpedia.org/Nevada_Backg...estion_1_(2016)

Quote:
Enforcement blocked

On December 28, 2016, Attorney General Adam Paul Laxalt (R) said the initiative could not be enforced due to the refusal of the FBI to participate in the expanded background checks. Question 1 was designed to require background checks for firearm transfers between unlicensed individuals, also known as private-party sales, which would take place through the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICBCS). According to a letter from the FBI to Nevada, "the recent passage of the Nevada legislation [Question 1] regarding background checks for private sales cannot dictate how federal resources are applied." Furthermore, Nevada is one of 12 states with a state-run background checks system and does not depend on the FBI to perform existing background checks.[1]

The FBI suggested that the Nevada Department of Public Safety's Criminal History Repository (CHR) conduct the background checks of private-party sales and transfers. However, Attorney General Laxalt concluded that such a move would violate the initiative's language. The CHR is responsible for other background checks in Nevada.[2] He stated, "The Act is very specific that the only background check it authorizes for a private sale or transfer is directly through the FBI."
ETA: All this after Bloomberg pissed away $3.5 million and Everytown $14.5 million and wrote an unenforceable law. That's just too bad.

Last edited by mshill; 01-16-2018 at 2:59 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
Count me in the "know by your gut" group, but...

http://www.hotgunz.com/

Based on self-reported serials and by no means comprehensive, but i've seen it floated from time to time.
Mahalo
Old 01-16-2018, 5:41 PM

Just curious . . . checks and balances, dot the i cross the t doesn't appeal to free state residents? You wouldn't look into steps or investigate all possible channels to prevent you buying a stolen gun? Not only money is at stake but just the drama and aftermath of dealing with the law. I do respect your casualness but I don't believe all free state residents are this causal.
Old 01-16-2018, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just curious . . . checks and balances, dot the i cross the t doesn't appeal to free state residents? You wouldn't look into steps or investigate all possible channels to prevent you buying a stolen gun? Not only money is at stake but just the drama and aftermath of dealing with the law. I do respect your casualness but I don't believe all free state residents are this causal.
NO.

If I feel bad about the deal, I dont do it, buying or selling. Have bought a lot of guns in the parking lot at Bass Pro or Home depot. Just bought a Beretta 1301 in the parking lot at a gas station, a couple days after I bought a handgun at a parking lot at another gas station.

Old 01-16-2018, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
NO! It's intrusive, unnecessary and leads to what you have to deal with in CA. Back to your hole, Bloomberg troll.
Old 01-16-2018, 6:29 PM

ubi jus ibi remedium
Old 01-16-2018, 6:47 PM

I remember doing face to face sales in CA, back when it was legal.
Old 01-16-2018, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
that did get shot down 2shot - i agree, the law did pass but the AG declared it unenforceable, but yes, they tried

there were several 'ordinances' restricting gun carry/transport in some areas of Las Vegas, including North Las Vegas that were struck down in June of 2015, abolished from the books

we've actually gained on our gun rights here in the last 2 years 2shot, they even got rid of the Blue Card system, which was a Clark County handgun registration requirement

i won't say they're not trying, but we still have good numbers here when it comes to our gun rights, plus, protections within the Nevada State Constitution too

Today I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I AM THE STORM."

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneeasy View Post
I got eager cuz I love me some 20"
Old 01-16-2018, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How do you check for stolen property at garage sales, flee markets, craigslist, ebay? Do you check the invoices of your local mom & pop stores? Have you researched your birthday/Christmas gifts? Do you record yourself at night to make sure you aren't sleep stealing?

Guns are plain normal regular property, like cars, tools, furniture, appliances, electronics, art, baseball cards, clothes, whatever.
Old 01-16-2018, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ubi jus ibi remedium
There is indeed a right and the remedy is that the nanny state can keep its hands out of the process of transferring private property.

Again, back to your hole!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
How do you check for stolen property at garage sales, flee markets, craigslist, ebay? ....

Guns are plain normal regular property, like cars, tools, furniture, appliances, electronics, art, baseball cards, clothes, whatever.
It depends on what I'm buying. If I'm buying a couple of folding chairs for $5 each, I don't care all that much.

If I'm buying a gold Rolex or a painting for $15,000, I care very much -- not only about whether it's stolen, but also authenticity. So there’s an old saying: One buys the seller, not the thing.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by fiddletown; 01-16-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
There is indeed a right and the remedy is that the nanny state can keep its hands out of the process of transferring private property.

Again, back to your hole!
You are somewhat educated. Good for you. Don't be too grumpy, life's short. Further, never assume everyone in ca or once lived in ca think alike unless you are just narrow-minded no matter what, then this whole message board are full of people you dislike but I wonder why are you on here then? entertainment? no problem. If you screen name is in fact true, I'm fairly sure you are a little older than I'm, with that said, I won't respond by calling you names or use unpleasant language or go rounds with you. Best to you.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
Here we shake hands, exchange money for private property, shake hands again, and leave. If your gut tells you he's a ****bag, walk away. Would your buddy run serial numbers on a used lawn mower or dewalt drill off Craigslist?
Same here in Idaho. If I get a bad vibe with a phone call, which, incidentally, has never happen, I would not go forward. Last ppt I did was for a Model 41. Seller is a sworn Idaho probation and parole officer. The exchange was done in my car at the P & P facility in Boise.

Quote:
That depends upon where you live. See above.

Quote:
Then it appears you don't know many free state residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post
I remember doing face to face sales in CA, back when it was legal.
Based on what I see and the folks I know in CA, ftf continues to be done without a licensee. Normally it's done between old friends, and I've seen it many times in both northern and central California.
The coast of California
Greatful Dead
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 01-18-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Same here in Idaho. If I get a bad vibe with a phone call, which, incidentally, has never happen, I would not go forward. Last ppt I did was for a Model 41. Seller is a sworn Idaho probation and parole officer. The exchange was done in my car at the P & P facility in Boise.

I’m here in ID too my brother. BTW, I’ve got a spare fde scar 16 for sale if you have any interest. $1,800 and I’ll buy lunch after the parking lot sale is completed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are somewhat educated. Good for you. Don't be too grumpy, life's short. Further, never assume everyone in ca or once lived in ca think alike unless you are just narrow-minded no matter what, then this whole message board are full of people you dislike but I wonder why are you on here then? entertainment? no problem. If you screen name is in fact true, I'm fairly sure you are a little older than I'm, with that said, I won't respond by calling you names or use unpleasant language or go rounds with you. Best to you.
Stay in California, please. Sounds like it's the right place for you.
Old 01-18-2018, 8:41 AM
Guardian of masculinity
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
People always want to meet at sportsman's warehouse around here. You show up and see 5 other guys just sitting in they're cars waiting, always near the flag pole too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutnfancy
"Preserve your gat"
Old 01-18-2018, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Around these parts, buying a gun is like buying a toaster!!!
As It Should Be!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
I’m here in ID too my brother. BTW, I’ve got a spare fde scar 16 for sale if you have any interest. $1,800 and I’ll buy lunch after the parking lot sale is completed.
Think about a deal where I've got the cash, and you buy dinner for me, wife, and my extended family of 23 people.

A straw poll I did just before I posted resulted in the majority selecting either Chandlers or Ruth Chris in Boise.

Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Around these parts, buying a gun is like buying a toaster!!!
As It Should Be!
And you are correct, and it is like falling off a log. I posted an "I'll take it" for an ex-Utah HP 870 Wingmaster. Called the seller and visited for a minute or two. Zero craziness or "bad vibe" detected. Later in the call, he offered me a second 870 Wingmaster from the same department, and knocked another $50 of each shotgun.

He got a PayPal within 5 minutes, and I got 2 great guns from my LGS 3 days later. $25 transfer charge for both guns, and my CWL instead of NICS. No complaints.
The coast of California
Greatful Dead
Mark Twain