Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-14-2018, 5:32 PM

Default Making old safe fire resistent

Anyone ever tried to make an old safe fire resistant with a spray or matting or wall material?
Old 01-14-2018, 6:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk6 View Post
Anyone ever tried to make an old safe fire resistant with a spray or matting or wall material?

Here's some google results

_
Old 01-14-2018, 6:14 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I think you're going to end up with an eyesore.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 PM

I can live with an eyesore in this safe, I bought a new safe that's fire rated for the weapons, I may give it a shot.
Old 01-15-2018, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

What's it gonna get ya? maybe 10-15 minutes time maybe? if fire breaks out and the building burns a makeshift fire rated safe ain't going to save your collection.
Old 01-15-2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
What's it gonna get ya? maybe 10-15 minutes time maybe? if fire breaks out and the building burns a makeshift fire rated safe ain't going to save your collection.
Probably an accurate viewpoint. Consider the old safe nothing but a locking gun cabinet which as I think about it, is all it probably is if it had no fire resistance to begin with.

Congrats to stepping up to a real safe. Cojple suggestions:

- Bolt to concrete pad of house. Most safe breeches occur after the thieves get the safe on its back or side where they can employ better leverage.

- Make sure there is not any "slow burn" material around it that might prolong the exposure to fire.

- make sure it is covered and out of sight to casual visitors to your home.

- So not keep any fire accelerators inside the safe like gun oil, oily rags, anything in an aerosol can etc..

- Use either a "golden Rod" dehumidifying heat stick or a good quality desiccant if there is no electrical access.
Old 01-15-2018, 1:33 PM

glue 5/8 sheetrock to all sides or double rock it and the you can buy some tape that's on most safes, I think its called 3m firestop, it looks like gasket material but expands when heated and seals the safe door so air and fire cant enter. the thicker the sheetrock the longer the fire rating.
Old 01-15-2018, 2:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Stack these on top of the safe = fire resistant!

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 01-15-2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
glue 5/8 sheetrock to all sides or double rock it and the you can buy some tape that's on most safes, I think its called 3m firestop, it looks like gasket material but expands when heated and seals the safe door so air and fire cant enter. the thicker the sheetrock the longer the fire rating.
Make sure you use no more than six panels cut to the exact size of each wall / ceiling / floor.. I suspect most all glue will fail in a fire...
Old 01-15-2018, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
^this^

Put the top and bottom in first, the walls will hold top up if glue fails.
Old 01-15-2018, 7:48 PM

If the safe was in a garage that was never intended to be moved, you could always have a brick mason encase the back, sides, top, and front edges with fire brick. Build it two or three layers thick and that would protect it well. Now you just need to fashion something for the front and it will have a much higher fire rating than most. You could probably have a local metal fabricator make you a swinging door for the front that could be covered in fire brick as well. You would need to open that door to get access to the safe door. While this would be expensive, its not likely to burn if its well constructed. Usually, the only thing standing in a complete burn is a brick chimney, same idea but thicker and made with bricks that tolerate temps as high as 3,000 degrees depending on what bricks you purchase. I know, the idea is a bit out there but it's just an example. I have another idea that involves hydraulic lifts that lowers the safe down into the garage floor and its covered with a steel door but that is way out there
Old 01-16-2018, 1:01 AM

Drop safe in pool. Hope everything inside is waterproof.