Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-09-2012, 1:40 PM

Great update! Thank you Glbtrotter and Banana!! And even though it sounds like a long ways off... Nov 15th will be here before we know it..

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." Albert Einstein
Old 08-09-2012, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banana View Post

GN: If you personally know me, I will be FB photos in a few minutes of the prototype and will take requests THERE only there for now. I struggle with how to post stuff here from my phone and my husband is away so I will get things here as I can, he gets back Friday.
Woohoo! We're anxious to see the pics! Is it ok if some one your FB friends repost on the thread for the group buy members?
Old 08-10-2012, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hey all! Want to see what I spent all your money on? A $25,000 dollar prototype? One for me, none for you!

Ok - now back to the rest of you on the group buy, happy to let you look at it, grope it, molest it and more. 1911 armorers have priority...

Pics coming

Last edited by glbtrottr; 08-10-2012 at 6:43 PM..
Old 08-10-2012, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So, how do we go about picking the color?

Now I want one more frame...
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 08-10-2012, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

I'll try to add to the order. Patience please...
Old 08-10-2012, 9:12 PM

New Grip Style looks much better... I got to hold the prototype with the original design grip at Ares Armory a few months ago, and that grip felt very comfortable, but this one has more style to it. It looks like that checkering has been added..nice, do you know how many LPI the checkering is?

Now I also wish that I had ordered 2 instead of 1.

My favorite Cooper quote about the rifle:
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Does the grip have metal molded into it like the STI grips?

According to the STI sales material:

"The STI 2011 grip is half of the patented 2011 modular system. Made of durable glass filled polymer, the 2011 grip features metal inserts molded directly into the body of the grip to provide metal on metal contact points, ensuring a solid fit to the frame. Featuring 30 LPI checkering across all surfaces, the 2011 grip assembly includes mainspring housing."

It would be nice if the Ares grip is made comparable to this. Also there have been rare reports of STI grips cracking around the trigger guard area. Maybe some of the great minds here can make suggestions on how Ares could prevent this from being an issue with their grips.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM

Glbtrottr, thebanana, thank you for all of your hard work on this group buy. I really appreciate it.

Now I am hating myself for not buying two of them. If anyone backs out/ falls through with a payment, I would gladly pay for it.
Old 08-11-2012, 1:13 PM
CGN Contributor

that new grip does look a lot better.

Any idea if they are going to make the right "grip" ambi-safety ready, or if we will need to machine that in ourselves?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-11-2012, 1:18 PM

Thank you for organizing this. I noticed in one of the above pictures that it appears Ares it still engraved on the side, Will that still be there on the finished product?
Old 08-11-2012, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
that new grip does look a lot better.

Any idea if they are going to make the right "grip" ambi-safety ready, or if we will need to machine that in ourselves?
Should be easy for any user with a dremel or file (which you will have if you're going to build a 1911) to inlet the grip for an ambi safety. I would vote against making the ambi cut standard since most users won't be running an ambi safety and would have a gap there for no reason.

Dust cover looks a bit too short and the light rail is obviously cut wrong (i hope...), but it's all understandable since this is a pre-production model after all.

The new grip looks a thousand times better than the first one. Can someone test to see if a magwell with sit flush on the outside with the grip? Is the radius for for a .25 beavertail?

Last edited by 762shooter; 08-11-2012 at 3:56 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Suggestions:

The left hand side of the grip should kind of wrap over the plunger tube like a standard left hand grip.

I hate ambi safetys so I vote no for cutting the right side for that.

It would be nice if a good big mag well bevel was cut in to the grip.

An option for no mainspring housing pin hole might be nice for people wanting a bobtail setup.

Maybe add a relief cut at the magazine release so that it would be easier to depress a standard height mag release.

Delete most of the little plastic wings parallel to the frame where the front of the trigger guard meets the frame.

I'm a little bit frightened by the T-slot attachment, it seems like a big stress riser.

Perhaps if the front of the T on the frame was pulled back about a half inch, the front of the grip frame could be made stronger and cleaner looking.

The T on the frame could also be made in to a wedge shape taller at the back, giving you a draft angle on the grip mold and spreading the recoil force across the grip instead of concentrating it at the fastener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 08-11-2012, 5:07 PM

^+1. Those fingers need to go, I can see them getting caught on so many things. A relief cut for the mag release would be awesome too.

Last edited by 762shooter; 08-11-2012 at 5:11 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 7:28 PM

Quick answers:

If you are on my FB, you can repost anything I have, provided there are no people in the photos. I have prototype photos that are different than Glbtrottrs.

Yes Ares is still stamped on the prototype, I do not know the status of that long term.

The reason I have 1 prototype and not 2 is because they were changing something with the safety, what that was, I do not know.

Suggestions, really? I don't want this delayed further for changes, just my opinion.

As to colors, I am excited too. They don't announce that there are colors for a few more weeks and what they are I don't know, though and I am probably the only one on here excited, I know pink is on their list

If people are serious about wanting in, drop me a note in the next 48 hours. NO promises I will take the additional numbers I have come in and see if they will give me more slots, they are nearly sold out with our order so I don't know what they might do for us, but I can ask.

If you want an AMAZING German Shepherd, I know people www.ragnarshepherds.com.
Old 08-11-2012, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Well it looks like it's in the 3D printed prototype stage and your taking it to 1911 smiths for feedback...

If it's going to change, it's now or never.

Two of my suggestions were related to strengthening the grip, I think that's a worthy cause.

If they would consider one change, they might as well get the whole thing right.

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 08-11-2012, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
I'll try to add to the order. Patience please...
That was my patient face
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 AM

Banana.... pm sent to try to add to order.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Not sure if this is the best way to do it but... I am looking to back out of my spot for 1 frame and 1 jig shipped.
Old 08-12-2012, 1:45 PM

i am looking to fill in if someone backs out. Let me know if someone bails and I will take thier place. can do discrete PP.
Old 08-12-2012, 1:53 PM

Guys,

Bear in mind we're simply facilitating - we're not the sellers, and we've already turned in money.

We may take new participants in the group buy after a discussion with Ares on Monday.

That said, Mr. Simpsons holds a space in our group buy as paid (I believe - not checking this minute) - if Mr. Duckhunterflyfisher feels like paying Mr. Simpsons directly and have the name replaced on the list, we're happy to administer.

One more thing - a clear up on a misunderstanding after talking with Al and Globe - we will be taking these frames for review and to make additional recommendations to the manufacturer before their final run for improvements, including 760shooter, wash and others. Please feel free to provide your input to us (and Ares directly, if you wish - though not encouraged) and we will forward those recommendations accordingly.

Thank you!

Old 08-12-2012, 9:37 PM

Simpsons730 ... sent you a pm.

Old 08-13-2012, 2:16 PM

GB REOPENED briefly

I just spoke to Dimitri and they can take a few more orders from us. From my PM's I have 11 additional frames requested. I will troll this list as well to send out information.

Because of the time frame, I prefer PP and I will be using my own PP this time so I can move funds around faster. I will send directions to everyone who PM'ed me within the next 24. Please do NOT PM Glbtrottr, checking 2 accounts and all is a bit much for a quick extra add on buy. If you are in Oceanside the other prototype is at Ares for now (I will be picking it up when I drop off funds, hopefully later this week), so you can see one there. I am in North OC and you can drop me a PM if you want to stalk me to see it

I am told they will have a second order being delivered 2-3 weeks after this one is, the difference (and it is a big difference) is that the price will then be $250.

FYI New colored grips are $25 a pop I believe. There may be a way to "upgrade" on this GB on colors, I will know more later.

I set Ares expectations around 15-20 additional frames, they are close to selling out but they are holding that number back for me.

And please, if we have people on the board who want out, try to help them first before ordering with me times are tough and I know for some $125 is a lot (plus all the add on investments).

If we go over 20 and they sell out on us, I am taking people in order of money getting in to us. Doing my best.

Old 08-13-2012, 3:23 PM

Banana...PM sent. In for one.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Banana, sent you a PM for payment info....

thanks.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 AM

If anyone is backing out please PM me. I am wanting to grab another frame and maybe a jig.

Last edited by NissanPreRunner; 08-14-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 AM
CGN Contributor

Will the grip safety hole be drilled? Not shown on the final frame prototype. Just wondering, since it isn't required to be left out.

Since the sear pivot hole is already drilled, as is the slide stop and disconnecter holes, this frame shown in the photos above does not meet the 80% or less requirements let all the letters I've seen. Not trying to be a negative Nancy or whatever you guys called me earlier, but want to give you a heads up on this.
Old 08-14-2012, 1:00 AM
CGN Contributor

Can't edit from my phone... It also has the barrel bed which can not come cut.
Old 08-14-2012, 1:01 AM
Veteran Member

You can add my name to the parts kit interest list.

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!

Last edited by BillyGoatMachine; 08-16-2012 at 11:09 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 6:44 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

GB managers, have you seen Ares' BATFE declaration letter that states the Rudius is a non-firearm? Could you post it please?
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 08-14-2012, 8:35 AM

@Goober I didn't think to ask for it.

I think I am at about 23 add-on orders. I will let you all know soon. I'll bring as many as I can to Ares.

Old 08-14-2012, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banana View Post
@Goober I didn't think to ask for it.

I think I am at about 23 add-on orders. I will let you all know soon. I'll bring as many as I can to Ares.
@The Banana Thank you for acknowledging the question.

The topic was raised back on May 22nd... But never really dealt with.
It would be nice to have it resolved (really should have been done before payment was made, but perhaps you've already seen the letter and are certain approval has been given).

Please understand that I'm not doubting or accusing anyone of anything. But this is a pretty serious matter and of concern to all participants in this group buy.

It should be a very simple thing to get at least a verbal assurance from Ares, followed by a copy of the letter. Thank you again for all you efforts managing this GB.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Old 08-14-2012, 9:49 AM
CGN Contributor

Depending on the final final grip design and the non finished features being fixed on the frames, I am still genuinely interested in this Ares frame.

Very worried about what is already done on it though. Per the ATF letters to KTO, the Ares does not meet the requirements.
Old 08-14-2012, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't worry, it's a prototype that was probably ~finished so that people could evaluate the final product rather than just 80%.

It's really hard to evaluate a gun that's not finished.

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Old 08-14-2012, 4:49 PM
CGSSA Wine Country Chapt.
CGN Contributor

I am curious about this. I'd love to say.. " I built this" but honestly.. I am not that mechanically inclined! -- YES I SAID IT!

1. Is this truly a difficult thing?
2. As I understand I would need to buy the 80% AND a jig? Is that correct? or does the initial buy INCLUDE a jig?
3. What else would need to be on my shopping list?

Please be honest...

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-14-2012, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
I wouldn't worry, it's a prototype that was probably ~finished so that people could evaluate the final product rather than just 80%.

It's really hard to evaluate a gun that's not finished.
Regardless, there needs to be a BATFE declaration letter in place, and it should be made available.
Old 08-14-2012, 5:12 PM
CGN Contributor

Wash, the grip safety/thumb safety hole is not finished, the hammer pin hole is not finished, nor are the slide rails. So there is no way you can say this is a finished frame for inspection. It is a prototype of what they are selling. Function check would require the rest of it to be finished, which it isn't.

Per KTOrdanance's (current leading mfg of 1911 <80% frames) website:

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/products.php

Quote:
The BATFE's Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has held that in order for a 1911-style receiver-blank or receiver-casting not to be recognized as a "firearm", the 1911-style receiver must not have:

-Slide rails or slide rail indexing marks
-A barrel seat

More than two of the following four critical holes drilled
-Slide stop pivot
-Sear pivot
-Disconnector
-Hammer pin

As sighted in our determination letter dated May 16, 2008 A.D. by John R. Spencer FTB MMK:903050 311/2008-397
The Ares frame currently shows to have the Barrel Seat finished as well as the slide stop pivot, sear pivot and disconnector hole/backbore. This does not meet the requirement. Until Ares shows a NEW approved determination letter, I would be VERY cautious of what goes on from here on out. As it sits, they are manufacturing and selling firearms illegally, and many many many members of our forum have been buying them, illegally (although not really knowing it).

I hope I am wrong in this, but until we see a new letter, I don't think I am. I post this is in the best interest of Ares, and the members of the GB. Not meant as slander, hurtful, disrespectful, or whatever else you may want to say or call me.

And no, glbtrottr, this is NOT thread crapping.

Last edited by couch; 08-14-2012 at 5:35 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

What color is the basic frame going to be? And is there a specific list of colors that will be available? Or is it just going to be a case of them throwing a batch of the frames into a pot of Ritt dye and letting them soak overnight? Because if that is all they will be doing to change the color, I can do that just as easily myself...

-Mb
Old 08-14-2012, 6:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShadow View Post
Thank you for organizing this. I noticed in one of the above pictures that it appears Ares it still engraved on the side, Will that still be there on the finished product?
It also appears that their logo is 3D "printed" on the prototype grip. I'd really like to know one way or another if this is the way the final will come or if this is just to identify the owner of the prototype in this phase. A final answer would be nice to know on this, as it's never been conclusively stated one way or the other.

BATFE letter status: At this point it should be a simple yes or no. If it's been submitted and they are waiting on it, then fine, but that should be easy to answer also.
Old 08-14-2012, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I think everybody needs to calm down.

The gun is still in the design phase, grip not finalized and thus the upper part is not finalized either.

Once the grip is nailed down, then they can get the upper design and an ATF letter. I don't know how they could possibly get an ATF letter for an 80% that does not exist yet.

I trust them to do it right and if the frame Bananna has isn't 80%, it's covered on infrequent lending because I'm sure ARES wants it back.

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Old 08-14-2012, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

On a happier note, I just agreed to buy a Kings Gun Works 10mm Clark/Para ramped barrel for $30.

If I don't count machining and tools, this Rudius frame, $30 barrel and a $140 .40 cal STI slide should combine in to a ~$600 10mm 1911 made with good parts!

Quote:
Dear Kevin,