Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Default Any ranges in socal where I can shoot milsurp (steel core) ammo?

I'm looking for a place that will allow me to shoot all this nice milsurp ammo I have through my M1 Garand and Mosin Nagant. Is there an outdoor range that will allow me to shoot this stuff that is near the Chino/IE area? The only range that i know of where I can do this is Raahauge's, however they charge $30 for 2 hours which is a bit steep (especially considering their amenities, but that's besides the point.) I have never gone out to BLM land to shoot but as far as I can tell it's quite a drive away.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

Our local range has no restrictions that I am aware of. A bit of a drive for you but we do have members from Orange County.

$60 a year and no range fees.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM

I shoot at ontarget in laguna hills sometimes, just out of convenience cause its so close to me, a bit of a way from where you are, but i've seen people there that just got their first rifles, didnt zero it in or even bore sight it....

they cant hit paper at 25 yards and end up going to blm land, so im scared of blm land from that and other people who dont know basic safety ;(

i've been to rauhagges a couple times with a group of people and we got heavily discounted, and stayed for more than 3 hours.
Old 03-30-2013, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Our local range has no restrictions that I am aware of. A bit of a drive for you but we do have members from Orange County.

$60 a year and no range fees.
what is the name of the range?
thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 1:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendayweekend View Post
what is the name of the range?
thanks
Twentynine Palms Pistol and Rifle Range.

Open 24/7/365 for members.
Old 05-17-2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Twentynine Palms Pistol and Rifle Range.

Open 24/7/365 for members.
24/7!?!?!? That's awesome. Is someone from their staff there 24/7? Too far for me to drive, but I'm intrigued by this range.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Vision View Post
24/7!?!?!? That's awesome. Is someone from their staff there 24/7? Too far for me to drive, but I'm intrigued by this range.
Yes 24/7/365. There is no staff or RSO on range unless a Club Officer happens to stop by. Members get a key to the gate and you are on your own. This is a members/guests only range, so don't drive up expecting to shoot if you haven't made prior contact with someone. Non members are charged a $5 per day use fee and have to leave when the last member does, because the gate will get locked.

You can shoot rifle/skeet anytime during daylight hours though I suppose if you have a night scope you could shoot rifle after dark. The pistol range has lights (parking lot/firing line/targets) so you can shoot any time you feel like it. Helps during the summer when you can wait until dark and it has cooled down to the low 90's to go shoot.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:50 AM

hmm, seems like raahauges or blm is my only choice around here. either that or I sell my milsurp and roll my own.

anyone know if lytle creek or west end gun club have restrictions all year round? I know burro seems to never let you shoot steel core...
Old 03-31-2013, 1:02 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls204 View Post
hmm, seems like raahauges or blm is my only choice around here. either that or I sell my milsurp and roll my own.

anyone know if lytle creek or west end gun club have restrictions all year round? I know burro seems to never let you shoot steel core...
Raahauges allows magnetic rounds on their range? Only 30 buck for 2 hours there. I don't understand those guys and gals not wanting to leave their comfortable area to shoot outdoors. That other place wants 20 bucks to tell you to not shoot at the celling and if you do you gonna pay. Can't tell them the zero at 25 yards ain't no good at 100 either. They need scopes to hit rhe black spot too. Maybe I'm too picky
Old 03-30-2013, 8:00 AM

Lytle creek has a "no steel core ammo" policy as I recall from the last time I was there.... One of the RO's actually called a guy out on it.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Desert Marksman has no restrictions if you want to drive that far.
Old 05-18-2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Desert Marksman has no restrictions if you want to drive that far.
Incorrect. We are not allowed to shoot steel there or use tannerite. I have shot steel there though but only after it's rained or snowed.
Old 03-30-2013, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lytle Creek is open to steel core casing etc. I was at range 2 weeks ago and your go to go. If you want to be certain call them. From your location probably a quick 40 min ride

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrock1 View Post
Lytle Creek is open to steel core casing etc. I was at range 2 weeks ago and your go to go. If you want to be certain call them. From your location probably a quick 40 min ride
That is awesome! I will call them and see. I think Lytle Creek is the best option for me if that's the case, close and cheap. Burro would be #2 if they let me use milsurp.

I do like Raahauges but I can't afford to spend $30 each time I want to go shooting, which is like every weekend. They really should fix up that rifle line, perhaps make it bigger and add better benches. I'd pay $30 for that.
Old 03-30-2013, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

I have to recommend Raahauges, highly. I told myself I'd never go there on a non competition/event day but on weekdays you can stay longer. Longest I stayed was 4 hours with rifle and handgun shooting. The two r. o. 's I've dealt with were excellent. It's kind of like paying for private range perks as you can have hour own pistol berm, drae out of a holster, shoot food, etc.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have to recommend Raahauges, highly. I told myself I'd never go there on a non competition/event day but on weekdays you can stay longer. Longest I stayed was 4 hours with rifle and handgun shooting. The two r. o. 's I've dealt with were excellent. It's kind of like paying for private range perks as you can have hour own pistol berm, drae out of a holster, shoot food, etc.
Raahauges is first class operation. However, at $30 per visit (technically for 2 hours), it's easy to see why there's not very high demand for their rifle range...and it's only 100yds.

Cheap steel bi-metal ammo isn't the bargain it seems to be around here.

No personal experience, but I've heard that the authorities don't favor steel core/bi-metal jacketed ammo on BLM land either.

Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 05-17-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS-762 View Post
Raahauges is first class operation. However, at $30 per visit (technically for 2 hours), it's easy to see why there's not very high demand for their rifle range...and it's only 100yds.
I'm still trying to master the 100 yard range so it's adequate for me but it would be great if they could extend it out to 300 or so so you could get a little more for your money's worth. I'll always bring something for their pistol bays. I wouldn't do $30 for just the rifle range.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm still trying to master the 100 yard range so it's adequate for me but it would be great if they could extend it out to 300 or so so you could get a little more for your money's worth. I'll always bring something for their pistol bays. I wouldn't do $30 for just the rifle range.
I really do not think Raahauge's is worth the money. They overcharge. Even their annual membership, which is $400 a year only lets you go on Mon-Fri. Check out Burro Canyon, Lytle Creek, or WEGC.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 PM

What about West End Gun Club? Anyone an actual member and know if you can shoot steel core? I was looking to go Saturday to join, but I've called twice already and no one ever answers nor calls back.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaslayer View Post
What about West End Gun Club? Anyone an actual member and know if you can shoot steel core? I was looking to go Saturday to join, but I've called twice already and no one ever answers nor calls back.
I joined WEGC shortly after starting this thread. I am not sure if they let you shoot steel core or not. It's not an issue for me anymore because I sold my C&R rifles and got rid of all my ammo and headed in a different direction with regards to shooting.

If you want a limited membership go on Fri, Sat or Sunday and talk to the Rangemaster. He will sign you up for $50/yr.
Old 05-17-2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls204 View Post
I joined WEGC shortly after starting this thread. I am not sure if they let you shoot steel core or not. It's not an issue for me anymore because I sold my C&R rifles and got rid of all my ammo and headed in a different direction with regards to shooting.

If you want a limited membership go on Fri, Sat or Sunday and talk to the Rangemaster. He will sign you up for $50/yr.

I'm actually going tomorrow morning to sign up for a limited membership. I still don't know if they allow steel core though. I called, emailed, but no response. I have a lot of steel core Sellier and Bellot brass 223 ammo I want to shoot up. Still no one can confirm?

Compared to Lytle and Burro, how is WEGC???? How far out is the rifle range for the limited folks? Does it get as packed as Lytle and Burro where you have to wait for a bench. Is there shade? What should I bring besides my target stands, ammo, guns, water??? I asked all these questions via email and voicemail but haven't received a response. I want to go tomorrow ready to sign up and ready to shoot.

What better than to hear it from an actual member.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-18-2013, 9:44 PM

[QUOTE=aaaslayer;11369784] I asked all these questions via email and voicemail but haven't received a response. I want to go tomorrow ready to sign up and ready to shoot.QUOTE]

That right there tells you to stay away from it.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:36 AM

bump
Old 05-17-2013, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaslayer View Post
I'm actually going tomorrow morning to sign up for a limited membership. I still don't know if they allow steel core though. I called, emailed, but no response. I have a lot of steel core Sellier and Bellot brass 223 ammo I want to shoot up. Still no one can confirm?

Compared to Lytle and Burro, how is WEGC???? How far out is the rifle range for the limited folks? Does it get as packed as Lytle and Burro where you have to wait for a bench. Is there shade? What should I bring besides my target stands, ammo, guns, water??? I asked all these questions via email and voicemail but haven't received a response. I want to go tomorrow ready to sign up and ready to shoot.

What better than to hear it from an actual member.

Thanks for your help!
Full membership is worth it, complete access to all bays whenever you want as you get an access code.

I go after work during the week and it's empty. I can shoot all I want in private.
Old 05-17-2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS-762 View Post
No personal experience, but I've heard that the authorities don't favor steel core/bi-metal jacketed ammo on BLM land either.
The ranger down here has indicated that it is illegal.
Old 05-19-2013, 9:52 AM

Lytle Creek doesn't allow steel core ammo. It stated on the first page.

http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/Default.htm
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

i have a limited membership at WEGC. i shoot surplus mosin 7.62-54r every time i go their. better than buro or lytle creek. 5 bucks to shoot and bring a couple of guests for 10 bucks each. nice 100 yard covered benches range with about 40 benches.
Old 05-19-2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
i have a limited membership at WEGC. i shoot surplus mosin 7.62-54r every time i go their. better than buro or lytle creek. 5 bucks to shoot and bring a couple of guests for 10 bucks each. nice 100 yard covered benches range with about 40 benches.
Limited member ships only allowed to shot on F, Sat, and Sun when Range Officer is present. Have you ever gone there and no RO on the range you had to go home?

Thinking of becoming limited membership.
Old 05-19-2013, 1:34 PM

^WEGC?
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 05-19-2013, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Near Chino, there's always Burro Canyon.. but they only let you shoot it when it's raining.
Old 05-19-2013, 6:44 PM

What is WEGC? TIA.
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 05-19-2013, 7:07 PM

http://www.wegc.org/
Old 05-19-2013, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

hate to misdirect the OP but was hoping for ask the same question. WEGC is unfortunately 2 hours from San Diego....anyone know of someplace closer to SD? thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 PM

I thought Lytle Creek was closing down.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:16 PM

Pala lets you shoot steel-core ammo as long as the bullet ends up in the dirt berm behind the targets.

Membership is $65 + $15/day to shoot. Visitors can shoot for $25/day, but they won't let you shoot as a guest more than 2-3 times.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:54 PM

I think you can at Iron Sights in Oceanside?