Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-05-2012, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-B-Man View Post
I'd definitely give them a call or an email with images attached, a nice polite one of course. Who knows, they might give you a refund since that really does seems like a hand select to me.
You mean "doesn't" seem like a Hand Select right? I'm thinking about it. Like I said I think J&G is just going by what is on the outside of the box, I don't think they are grading them themselves. Plus having an Albanian bolt in a Chicom Rifle, Triangle 26, does't thrill me either. But it does give a clue or confirmation as to where these SKS's have been.
Old 11-05-2012, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Whoa, that's interesting. Is the Albanian bolt carrier the same except for the handle?

Also, did you request hand select for maximum cosmoline because ............ damn!

Old 11-05-2012, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve91104 View Post
Whoa, that's interesting. Is the Albanian bolt carrier the same except for the handle?

Also, did you request hand select for maximum cosmoline because ............ damn!

Thanks for the correction I meant Albanian bolt carrier, still a little flabbergasted over this.

Yeah I was hoping to restore my collection of cosmoline I'm running a little low

I'm going to send them photos from the internet of other Handselcts people have received then send them what I was sent and see what they say.
Old 11-05-2012, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

Woah! on that Albanian bolt carrier ... thats pretty mind boggling. Kind of cool in a way

I could see a more serious SKS collector wanting that because its such an anomaly.

But if i got that one i would be a bit disappointed because I only wanted one decent example that was a good shooter. Hope it works out for you
Old 11-05-2012, 6:05 PM
Calguns Addict

That one is considerably nicer than the non-hand selects. I got two that were the standard, and they were in much worse shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-05-2012, 6:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad 11 View Post
Woah! on that Albanian bolt carrier ... thats pretty mind boggling. Kind of cool in a way

I could see a more serious SKS collector wanting that because its such an anomaly.

But if i got that one i would be a bit disappointed because I only wanted one decent example that was a good shooter. Hope it works out for you
Besides the missing wood, the Albanian bolt carrier certainly surprised me. Problem is I could never prove to another collector that this is how it was imported. That is unless I just left is slathered in the cosmoline it came in

I've sent an email to J&G with photo examples of what has be posted on the internet and the photos I've posted here. I'll have to wait and see what if anything they'll offer.

Last edited by aghauler; 11-05-2012 at 7:15 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 11-05-2012, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

still waiting for mine, to bad I get a $1,200 bonus check on the 30th of this month other wise I would have got 5 of them by now.

Old 11-05-2012, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
Thought I would share too, got mine yesterday from JG. Paid for the handpick/matching and got a pretty clean gun with all matching except the stock (no #'s that I could find).

Thinking I should buy a couple more.

oooo man! all this pictures make me

Old 11-05-2012, 7:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-05 Xiuhcoatl View Post
oooo man! all this pictures make me
Well lets hope yours is as nice as other HP w Matching numbers. Maybe they steam cleaned them to verify numbers

Wouldn't "Matching Numbers" include the stock? It's considered a "major component" I believe?
Old 11-05-2012, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

all I can do is cross my fingers and hope for a nice sks

Old 11-05-2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbowhunter View Post
the white stuff looks like mold
Old 11-05-2012, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comblock View Post
the white stuff looks like mold
mold or dirt. Either way it come off really easy with some elbow grease
Old 11-05-2012, 9:08 PM

I got mine in today. I don't know where all of the numbers are located, but I have been looking at the receiver, bolt carrier, and mag floor. All but 1 rifle have those 3 location match. All are either 1958 or 1959. All but 1 has cleaning rods. All seem to have good bores, but 1 was packed full of cosmo and I could only see parts of it. Metal finish on most seem pretty good, only 1 is totally in the white.

Stock condition varies, and I really haven't looked for cracks, but the one pictured seems to have most of it's original finish still there. Handguard is probably a replacement I would think, since it's a slightly darker tone. One of the stocks has part of it's serial carved into the right side. That one actually seemed to have been partially refinished.

I am tempted to order more, but I really shouldn't. Oh, and I didn't have any hand select.

Old 11-05-2012, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-B-Man View Post
I got mine in today. I don't know where all of the numbers are located, but I have been looking at the receiver, bolt carrier, and mag floor. All but 1 rifle have those 3 location match. All are either 1958 or 1959. All but 1 has cleaning rods. All seem to have good bores, but 1 was packed full of cosmo and I could only see parts of it. Metal finish on most seem pretty good, only 1 is totally in the white.

Stock condition varies, and I really haven't looked for cracks, but the one pictured seems to have most of it's original finish still there. Handguard is probably a replacement I would think, since it's a slightly darker tone. One of the stocks has part of it's serial carved into the right side. That one actually seemed to have been partially refinished.

I am tempted to order more, but I really shouldn't. Oh, and I didn't have any hand select.

Nice those stocks look really clean. They look like Chu-wood too
Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 PM

I went through them again while bringing them up stairs. 2 are all matching externally from what I can find (stock, bolt carrier, receiver, mag floor), 2 are all matching externally aside from stock (both of the nicer stocks with side sling swivels. One has trench art), 1 is matching only mag and receiver while the stock is number has been scratched off from trench art.

Have not torn them apart yet to see if there are any more numbers internally. I won't be able to do so until this weekend.

All in all, these have made a great first impression. I can't wait to shoot them, as well as the T53s (pic below) I ordered, which do seem slightly more beat up with mismatch numbers. Although these are not as bad as most T53s I've seen online before. Bore looks somewhat decent, but I'd have to clean them first to see if they really are.

Old 11-06-2012, 1:18 AM

Turners just got a shipment of chinese sks in stock
Old 11-06-2012, 4:00 AM
Veteran Member

I decided to pass on these. That's two more for you folks to scarf up. Don't need a beater in my safe of queens that shoot.

-178S
Old 11-06-2012, 7:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One78Shovel View Post
I decided to pass on these. That's two more for you folks to scarf up. Don't need a beater in my safe of queens that shoot.

-178S
awww Shovel but these are so ugly they are pretty Plus for the price, some TLC she'll be ready for the prom in no time! heheh.
Old 11-06-2012, 8:20 AM

Im tempted to get another batch of these but im holding out hoping someone would import a number of russian sks from somewhere.
Old 11-06-2012, 8:31 AM

I just received mine... I paid for # matching and Hand-select.

So far, everything is # matching down to the Gas Piston (electric stenciled) and the stock. The # on the stock is barely legible, but it's there. The bluing on one is easily 80-90% and the other is about 50%. The bore is mirror shine. The stock is in pretty poor shape tho...

I will take some picture once they are cleaned up!
Old 11-06-2012, 9:59 AM

I just ordered mine......I won a VISA gift card through work for 369.00....I spent 367.50 of it with J&G....I just got the basic SKS (no hand select or matching numbers), I kind of like the "been there" look..and if the stock is really beat up, I'll just re-do it, no biggie. I also ordered one of those M95 Manlicher(sp?) straight-bolt little carbines for my collection for $99 plus the 10.00 ammo deal....My first SKS so we will see how it goes...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsh4bass View Post
Turners just got a shipment of chinese sks in stock
Source? I have called two Turners and they aren't aware of it. Waiting for one store to call me back after talking to HQ.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Source? I have called two Turners and they aren't aware of it. Waiting for one store to call me back after talking to HQ.

Norwalk and maybe one other store on Monday. I imagine the rest of the stores will get them on their delivery day.

Last edited by sass2924; 11-06-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 2:45 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Will keep an eye out because of course, the nice salesman who took my name and number isn't calling me back. He told me that he didn't know that they had then coming in and that he was buying one. Big help.
Old 11-06-2012, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
It seems like the risk lies with the importer and FFL 01 more so than the 03. I wish Century would show off the documentation that lets them sell these as C&R so we could all feel better.
exactly.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Old 11-06-2012, 7:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just posted pics of two Chinese SKSs from Century in the Century SKS thread for anyone interested.

Post #18 in http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...50#post9669250
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 11-06-2012, 8:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Got mine yesterday. It was handselect/all numbers matching.

The good: all numbers do match, even on the stock. Mirror bore, solid crown, the bullet test is ok (about 2mm between the shell and the crown). It came with the cleaning rod.

The bad: it's definitely not handselect, compared to what most people seem to be receiving. The stock has tons of nicks and scratches, the bluing is heavily worn. No rust that I can see though, but I haven't taken it apart yet. Very little cosmo.

Figuring out whether to call J&G or not.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 11-06-2012, 8:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Very smooth action and feeding, not to mention the trigger. This one would be hard to let go...

FYI, here's a good site on dating your SKS, since they all seem to be made at Jianshe (/26\): http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm

The one I got was made in 1959. Maybe, that's how Century classified them as C&R.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 11-06-2012, 9:10 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Got mine yesterday. It was handselect/all numbers matching.

The good: all numbers do match, even on the stock. Mirror bore, solid crown, the bullet test is ok (about 2mm between the shell and the crown). It came with the cleaning rod.

The bad: it's definitely not handselect, compared to what most people seem to be receiving. The stock has tons of nicks and scratches, the bluing is heavily worn. No rust that I can see though, but I haven't taken it apart yet. Very little cosmo.

Figuring out whether to call J&G or not.
Sorry you're having a bit of trouble with the condition, nick. The old quandary, eh? Do I keep the bird in the hand or go for the two in the bush?

I'm REALLY curious what my 2 will look like on Friday!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 9:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Well my "Hand Select, non matching numbers" just arrived.
Actually the Stock, receiver, and magazine cover do match. The bolt and rear cover do not. Look at the bolt, does THAT give you an idea of where these may have come from? The metal finish looks good the stock looked pretty good until I flipped it over and saw the missing chunk of wood. The upper handguard looks well used and somewhat hacked on. Based on what other "Hand Selects" where looking like I had higher hopes. Usually "hand select" would indicate all the wood was present. Maybe my expectations were a little to elevated Yes I can stain that chunk of missing wood, but not what I had hoped for. I would have graded this as standard grade, non matching. I don't believe J&G is grading these they probably where graded before J&G got them.

J&G Hand Select means they grab the next 5 out of the stack and pick the best one of the 5. That can be very subjective and does not guarantee you anything special especially if all 5 are in poor condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
Weiner is in jail for doing much less than Kavanaugh or your Dear Leader Trump have done and they are walking around free.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass2924 View Post
Norwalk and maybe one other store on Monday. I imagine the rest of the stores will get them on their delivery day.
confirmed at the Turners in KM. snatched one for myself. was planning to refinish the stock anyway
"The gun has played a critical role in history...an invention that has been both praised and denounced...served hero and villain alike...and carries with it moral responsibility. To better understand the gun is to better understand history."
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 PM

couldn't take it any more..... just ordered two, and some food to feed them
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
Sorry you're having a bit of trouble with the condition, nick. The old quandary, eh? Do I keep the bird in the hand or go for the two in the bush?

I'm REALLY curious what my 2 will look like on Friday!!!
Well, I'm thinking of going to J&G anyway, provided they still have these by then. I had good luck with that in the past - for the handselect fee they just keep bringing the rifles out. Last time I went there, I probably went through their entire inventory of K31s. Those guys sure were patient.

Wish these SKS were in the same condition as the one I got from you.

Old 11-07-2012, 1:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
J&G Hand Select means they grab the next 5 out of the stack and pick the best one of the 5. That can be very subjective and does not guarantee you anything special especially if all 5 are in poor condition.
You are correct that is how the process works. However I've never had a "Hand Select" anything show up in this condition in all my years of being an 01 or 03 FFL. Especially parts from 2 different countries on the same rifle, at least we know there are parts interchangebility between the various countries I wonder if these weren't graded, boxed and shipped to the various distributors by Century and the distributors are just reshipping them. If they were graded by Century the people grading them probably had a mountain of rifles and "guidelines" for conditon and there was never a side by side comparison of 5-10 rifles, that would have been too time consuming. Even the CMP has shipped rifles that didn't measure up to various grades, but they at least promptly make it right.

So after cleaning this SKS today, about 4 hours worth of time this is what I have, besides 1.5 pounds of cosmoline

6 digit serial number, Early 1956?
Receiver, stock, magazine, trigger group, and bolt all match
Stock has a tiny triangle 31 stamped in it and a couple of tiny stampings behind the rear of the triggerguard (inspector marks I presume)
Bolt carrier and rear cover do not match
Gas piston looks new
Muzzle Wear 1.2 certainly less that 1.5
Finish is quit good, with VERY little wear showing on the interior surfaces.
Hammer had most of the bluing left on it as well.
The varnish finish is kind of patchy so a refinish is probably in the works down the road.

Last edited by aghauler; 11-07-2012 at 1:38 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 11-07-2012, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Well, I'm thinking of going to J&G anyway, provided they still have these by then. I had good luck with that in the past - for the handselect fee they just keep bringing the rifles out. Last time I went there, I probably went through their entire inventory of K31s. Those guys sure were patient.

Wish these SKS were in the same condition as the one I got from you.
Don't we all?

Did you ever find a cleaning rod for it?
Old 11-07-2012, 4:04 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Turners Reseda SKS Scouting Report
Went into the Turners in Reseda this afternoon, first time I have ever been in a Turners. The salesperson was actually very professional and nice, a guy named Frankie. I told him that the Oxnard store had told me that Reseda has some Chinese SKSs. He looked around the back room and brought me out three of them to check out, all that they had in stock. For those of you who are looking for a Chinese SKS, I thought this information might be interesting.

Rifle #1.
20% bluing present, very little actually, metal was almost all gray/silver. Stock was really beat up, lots of gouges and chunks missing from the wood. I brought my bore light and took a look. Shiny bore, good lands and grooves, with some darkness but not terrible. Unfortunately, also a large spot of rust with some pitting in the barrel about 6" down from the crown. Triangle 26 markings, a little bit of trench art.

Rifle #2.
30% bluing present, little more bluing actually, but not much. Metal was almost all gray/silver. Stock was also really beat up, lots of gouges and chunks missing from the wood along with two cracks in the butt stock area. Shiny bore, good lands and grooves, with some darkness, three large areas of rust in the barrel with some heavy pitting. Triangle 26 markings, a little bit of trench art.

Rifle #3.
About 80% bluing present but lots of rust on bolt, receiver cover and gas tube as well as along the stock line. Stock was better than other two but still had gouges and chunks missing from the wood. Shiny bore with spots of rust with some pitting in the barrel.

I passed on all three, just a little too worn out for my taste. The salesman said that all of the Chinese SKS they have had were from the same batch, same distributor and they were all pretty beat up. All were priced at $269.97. I think you guys ordering the J&Gs are getting a better deal although you are paying shipping but at least not DROS/transfer. I think I am going to have pay $400.00 to $500.00 to get a decent SKS.

FWIW, have at it. This was as of 1:00 PM today at the Reseda store.
Old 11-07-2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I think you guys ordering the J&Gs are getting a better deal although you are paying shipping but at least not DROS/transfer.
^ or Sales Tax!!!

Capybara, thanks for the run-down on what Turner's has on offer. I was curious what they had and what they were asking for them. Makes me feel even better about the J&G buy.
Old 11-07-2012, 4:20 PM

I couldn't resist at the price...ordered two from J&G today. I'll post when they arrive in a few days. I'm crossing my fingers! Nice thing: shipping was only $18 for two rifles, so can't complain there!
Old 11-07-2012, 5:20 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hope it is helpful to those of you considering Turners. Yeah, J&G is the way to go if you have your FFL03, better deal, no sales tax, no DROS fee, plus Turners is asking a higher price. I keep checking my mailbox every day, but I am only 42 days out from when I sent application. Have the COE, just not the FFL03, I am dying seeing all of the cool stuff I could be ordering.
Old 11-07-2012, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
Don't we all?

Did you ever find a cleaning rod for it?
Yup, ordered it a few days later. A Chinese one, at that.