Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-25-2013, 1:44 PM

Default Range Drama

So I'm at the range today, go up to the gun counter, eyes, ears,ammo check right. Guy sees I have my mags loaded, not in the gun Of course, but in the same container of the gun. Dude flips out and says its a felony, his brothers a cop and this and that. Am I wrong? Can someone point me to the sticky.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:47 PM

sticky my ***

he's just a dumbass
Old 01-25-2013, 1:48 PM

I use this. http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html It's like the 4th or 5th one down the page.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:51 PM

I showed him the exact CHP faq web page, he wasn't believing it. He thinks the mag is part of the gun even when it's not inside.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:53 PM

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/De...arm_Not_Loaded

More ranges are full of FUD i guess lol
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=668552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
**** the children.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:54 PM

Location: Buckeye Arizona. Formerly of Redding, Shasta County
Default He's right

He is right if you don't have a CCW with that weapon listed. Had you been pulled over and your vehicle searched you would have likely been placed under arrest. You must travel with the weapon and magazines (empty) in a locked container. The ammo should not be stored in the same place as the container with the firearm. So if you have the ammo in the trunk, then your handgun should be in the back seat.

I have a CCW with three handguns listed. With those weapons I don't sweat it because I have permission to have them concealed and loaded. For all of my other weapons I travel with them in my back seat floor board of my truck, and the ammo I put in the bed of my truck. The handguns that are not listed on my CCW are always in locked containers/boxes, while the rifles just have to be unloaded.

I do this because I believe that to be the legal requirement. If I am wrong someone please let me know.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal
Old 01-25-2013, 1:55 PM
Internet 'Tough Guy'

^ That's just wrong. It's sad a CCW holder knows so little about the law.

OP: Arguing with a moron pulls you down to his level. Just move on.

Last edited by donny douchebag; 01-25-2013 at 2:05 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 1:59 PM

Default You didn't read it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokstar View Post
I showed him the exact CHP faq web page, he wasn't believing it. He thinks the mag is part of the gun even when it's not inside.
Don't get angry at me, but it seems you are so pissed off that you didn't read the CHP FAQ. It clearly says that the magazines are to be unloaded.

Carl
Old 01-25-2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed02 View Post
He is right if you don't have a CCW with that weapon listed. Had you been pulled over and your vehicle searched you would have likely been placed under arrest. You must travel with the weapon and magazines (empty) in a locked container. The ammo should not be stored in the same place as the container with the firearm. So if you have the ammo in the trunk, then your handgun should be in the back seat.

I have a CCW with three handguns listed. With those weapons I don't sweat it because I have permission to have them concealed and loaded. For all of my other weapons I travel with them in my back seat floor board of my truck, and the ammo I put in the bed of my truck. The handguns that are not listed on my CCW are always in locked containers/boxes, while the rifles just have to be unloaded.

I do this because I believe that to be the legal requirement. If I am wrong someone please let me know.
Completely wrong. Stop posting false information. Magazines can be loaded and in the same container as the firearm. You cannot however have the magazines inserted into the firearm magwell.

Straight from the CHP webpage: "Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well."
Old 01-25-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:

The hell? This person has a CCW and doesn't even know the law? At least don't give false information.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Don't get angry at me, but it seems you are so pissed off that you didn't read the CHP FAQ. It clearly says that the magazines are to be unloaded.
You should re-read it, it says: "no loaded magazines in the magazine well."
Old 01-25-2013, 2:03 PM

What range?
Old 01-25-2013, 2:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you should see your optometrist soon.

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the MAGAZINE WELL.

Last edited by bill_k_lopez; 01-25-2013 at 2:09 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 2:08 PM

Default OK I'll quit

OK fellas, I'll quit. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but that is how I travel because it just takes one person to translate the law a different way, and you end up trying to beat the charge. I stay anal on myself to make sure no one else can end up ruining my year by being more anal than me.

Carl
Old 01-25-2013, 2:11 PM

Magum Range Riverside
Old 01-25-2013, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Just posting to let you know that you are wrong.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There was some dissent on this point during the whole open carry movement. I guess some court ruled that having an empty magwell with and a loaded magazine made the gun loaded, since the magazine was an essential part of the gun.

If there was an empty magazine in the gun it was ok though. so i can understand why he made the retarded assumption he did. Even though this only ever applied to open carrying, Which is illegal now.

It doesnt matter, your on private property, and you can legally walk around inside a range with a loaded gun if you want.

When you take it outside its in a locked box so its irrelevant.

The guy was just a dumbass

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber

Last edited by Dark Mod; 01-25-2013 at 2:18 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:
OK fellas, I'll quit. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but that is how I travel because it just takes one person to translate the law a different way, and you end up trying to beat the charge. I stay anal on myself to make sure no one else can end up ruining my year by being more anal than me.
Ya you should quit....while you're behind. Sounds like you're saying put a handgun in the back seat without a locked container. Also not sure how you can translate "Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk..." any other way.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:17 PM

i get what people are arguing about but once your out of your vehicle doesn't that mean the guy at the range is totally wrong, or did he mean when you transported the firearm + loaded mags in same container that's against the law etc.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
it would take quite a few people to interpret the law wrong before you find yourself on the wrong end of a charge.

It's one thing to be anal. It's another to pass around completely incorrect information.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:20 PM

I'm a newbie and I even know this is false information.

Quote:

Old 01-25-2013, 2:23 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...0&e=3475ad019a

CGF just defended a guy last month.

" According to Fernandez, the Deputy believed that the firearms were deemed loaded because the magazines and ammunition were carried in the same case as the firearm."

Well, the deputy was wrong and CGF got the case dismissed. Seems pretty clear to me...
Old 01-25-2013, 2:24 PM

Default OK OK OK

OK I guess I'll take that advice about quitting while I'm behind. Even the newbie is on my jock.

Carl
Old 01-25-2013, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Meanwhile, I'll never get a CCW in Santa Clara County...
Old 01-25-2013, 2:25 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So I'm at the range today, go up to the gun counter, eyes, ears,ammo check right. Guy sees I have my mags loaded, not in the gun Of course, but in the same container of the gun. Dude flips out and says its a felony, his brothers a cop and this and that. Am I wrong? Can someone point me to the sticky.
Please name the range or it probably didn't happen.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 01-25-2013, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I understand if you want to be EXTRA cautious... But don't spread FUD and misinformation. The PC is clear and there is case law backing it up. You're free to interpret the law on the “cautious" side, just don't try and pass it along as fact.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:29 PM

wow guys, i have 2 neighbors who are chp. they both told me if they pull you over with a locked box with a pistol and loaded mags in that locked case. they will arrest you. also they would cite you or possibly arrest you if you have a un loaded handgun in a locked case and the ammo is in the same compartment/ cab of pickup or inside a car. and they both told me this includes ammo locked in one box and pistol locked in totally sperate box/case.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:30 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Please name the range or it probably didn't happen.

Quote:
Magum Range Riverside
Old 01-25-2013, 2:32 PM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDOG1955 View Post
wow guys, i have 2 neighbors who are chp. they both told me if they pull you over with a locked box with a pistol and loaded mags in that locked case. they will arrest you. also they would cite you or possibly arrest you if you have a un loaded handgun in a locked case and the ammo is in the same compartment/ cab of pickup or inside a car. and they both told me this includes ammo locked in one box and pistol locked in totally sperate box/case.
Well they are wrong.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:32 PM

While I believe the man was wrong is his anger and over reacted, the only thing I would check is the rules specific to the range. While not a felony in any way, they could ask you to leave or yell at you if you don't follow their rules. For example, I know some ranges that don't even want you opening your gun case unless it is on the table in your lane (i.e. not behind you, even if unloaded).

I also agree that magazine can be loaded, locked with unloaded firearms, as long as it is not in a position capable of firing (i.e. mag in the magwell). Again, as with all laws, this is subject to interpretation so you maybe have issues. FWIW I have a couple mags loaded in the pelican case with my 1911. Not inserted. I have never had an issue and am being 100% legal.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:35 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Send them a link to the CGF press release I just posted.

Then send them to the CHP website and have them read their own departments FAQ.

I'm sure there are many lawyers that would love to sue the CHP. The thing that gets me in the LASD battle is that the watch commander even said the guns were unloaded but they still arrested him.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:41 PM

Default That's why I am Extra careful

Quote:
That is the reason I am EXTRA careful. I believe I said "anal" because it is too much. But I drive knowing I don't have to depend on someone else interpreting the law the same way I do. It's one of those things where you may beat the charge when it is all over, but you ain't going to beat the ride today. And you may not beat the charge either.

Carl
Old 01-25-2013, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well, sounds like they'll be making some false arrests then...

If what they say is true, then NO ONE would be able to go to the range to shoot. Are you supposed to transport your unloaded, locked firearm to the range, leave it there, then go home and transport your ammo to the range???

Ridiculous...

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 01-25-2013, 2:47 PM

Quote:
...you didn't read the CHP FAQ. It clearly says that the magazines are to be unloaded.
Are you kidding me? It says NOTHING of the sort. It says, in plain freaking English: "...but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well..."

That CLEARLY means that loaded magazines are LEGAL as long as they are not inserted in the gun. It absolutely does not say that magazines themselves must be empty, and I have no clue how you come to that conclusion. The way the law works is that if it is not specifically stated as being illegal, then it is legal. The government does not have to give you permission for every possible thing you can do. No where in the law will you see it ever say "it's okay to do XY and Z." It tells you what you cannot do. Keeping magazines loaded is not prohibited.

You should be so lucky as to be falsely arrested. Get some settlement out of it and scare the FUD out of the police and gun shop employees who don't understand the law. Plenty of 2A lawyers would represent for free, if it was even necessary. More likely, the prosecutor would review the law and would realize that they couldn't charge you with breaking it, since you didn't. The misinterpretation by the police officer would = false arrest.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html#05

Quote:
and they both told me this includes ammo locked in one box and pistol locked in totally separate box/case.
^^^ that is SO clearly wrong, it's ridiculous. They're telling you that it's illegal to have ammo and gun in a vehicle no matter how they are stored. That's so very obviously incorrect. They're probably F'ing with you. +1 on directing them to their very own freakin CHP.gov website (see link above) so they can see it with their own two eyes.

My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JeremyS; 01-25-2013 at 2:53 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 2:49 PM

I had a gun store "attendant" tell me the same thing, they are idiots.

I believe this is derived from older CHP guidance that has now been corrected to actually match the law, the Patrolman are still catching up (but some of the stores are just hopeless).
Old 01-25-2013, 2:52 PM
Cantankerous old coot

I always find this particular discussion interesting. I am not in the habit of keeping loaded magazines laying around and I certainly wouldn't pre-load them before going to the range. For some neurotic reason, I will even unload my home SD handgun if I am taking it along. I travel with my ammo in an ammo case or sometimes just the wallmart bag it came in. My guns are in a locked soft case. The magazines are almost anywhere. Some in my range bag, some in the guns, who knows.
Old 01-25-2013, 2:55 PM

I was with yokstar and this guy really did say he was scared of his ruger sr22 with loaded mags. On a side note this dude had a bandoleer for a belt with a wheel gun on his hip and a doc holiday mustache
Old 01-25-2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyack603 View Post
I was with yokstar and this guy really did say he was scared of his ruger sr22 with loaded mags. On a side note this dude had a bandoleer for a belt with a wheel gun on his hip and a doc holiday mustache
Totally stuck in the past...

(But the stache could be cool)
Old 01-25-2013, 3:00 PM

Default Doc Holiday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyack603 View Post
should have asked ole Doc Holiday if he was your huckleberry.

Carl
Old 01-25-2013, 3:01 PM
Banned

Here's the complete section from the CHP website, a website I am SURE the dept's in house attorneys had to sign off on before it was posted.

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

How anti 2nd amendment LEO's and prosecutors want to play it is up to them at least initially. It seems to me that this is a pretty fair defense in court should you find yourself being abused by the system .

Last edited by Ronin2; 01-25-2013 at 3:04 PM..