Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 AM
zrockstar's Avatar
zrockstar zrockstar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of Sac
Posts: 244
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default What happens to a red dot when you add a magnafier with astigmatism?

I have a slight astigmatism which causes my red dot to flare a little. Curious what would happen if I added a magnafier inline? Would it just be bigger and mishapen, or will some voodoo happen and it will look normal again?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-11-2018, 2:19 PM
Thanatos2203's Avatar
Thanatos2203 Thanatos2203 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 900
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

It will look normal again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2018, 3:10 PM
Sledge's Avatar
Sledge Sledge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Viva Las Vegas
Posts: 280
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

On one of my AR's I use a Bushnell TRS25 with a UTG x3 magnifier and with my astigmatism don't notice anything adverse.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2018, 3:28 PM
Fatcat Fatcat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La Mirada, Whittier, Buena Park
Posts: 892
iTrader: 104 / 100%
Default

I have to deal w/ astigmatism in my dominant eye. I have issues seeing the dot clearly w/o correction. So seeing the dot through a magnifier is the same ahving the same distortion. All a magnifier will do is bring the target image closer to your view. If you can deal with your vision as it is now, I’d just run the dot as it is. If I’m considering to invest in a magnifier, I’d just go ahead aget get a scope. IMO
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2018, 4:34 PM
Thanatos2203's Avatar
Thanatos2203 Thanatos2203 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 900
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat View Post
I have to deal w/ astigmatism in my dominant eye. I have issues seeing the dot clearly w/o correction. So seeing the dot through a magnifier is the same ahving the same distortion. All a magnifier will do is bring the target image closer to your view. If you can deal with your vision as it is now, Id just run the dot as it is. If Im considering to invest in a magnifier, Id just go ahead aget get a scope. IMO
Seeing the dot through the magnifier is not the same as it is restricting light the flow and direction. I can't differentiate between the two dots on an Eotech reticle, but when I flip up the magnifier they are clear as day. It may have something to do with the shape of the my individual astigmatism and how it differs from yours. I think most people do find that magnifiers help. Though I am with you, scopes or prismatic sights for me from here on out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2018, 8:27 AM
teflondog's Avatar
teflondog teflondog is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,395
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Here's my experience with an Eotech G33 magnifier:

Aimpoint Micro + magnifier: Not much improvement
Eotech + magnifier: A lot of improvement

As a side note, if you look at the red dot through the rear iron sight (cowitness), you'll notice that the dot is perfectly round.
__________________

Last edited by teflondog; 03-12-2018 at 8:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2018, 9:54 AM
WHH WHH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
Here's my experience with an Eotech G33 magnifier:

Aimpoint Micro + magnifier: Not much improvement
Eotech + magnifier: A lot of improvement

As a side note, if you look at the red dot through the rear iron sight (cowitness), you'll notice that the dot is perfectly round.
The key with my astigmatism is to really pay attention to keeping your focus on the target and not trying to focus on the dot.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2018, 9:58 AM
hunterb's Avatar
hunterb hunterb is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SGV
Posts: 2,994
iTrader: 70 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos2203 View Post
Seeing the dot through the magnifier is not the same as it is restricting light the flow and direction. I can't differentiate between the two dots on an Eotech reticle, but when I flip up the magnifier they are clear as day. It may have something to do with the shape of the my individual astigmatism and how it differs from yours. I think most people do find that magnifiers help. Though I am with you, scopes or prismatic sights for me from here on out.
Wow interesting did not know this. I can't use EoTechs because of my astigmatism but red dots are usable (though fuzzy)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Thanatos2203's Avatar
Thanatos2203 Thanatos2203 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 900
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Wow interesting did not know this. I can't use EoTechs because of my astigmatism but red dots are usable (though fuzzy)
It is the same for me, but I am stuck with an Eotech at work. Maybe it has more to do with holosights vs traditional red dots when paired with a magnifier?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 AM
k1dude's Avatar
k1dude k1dude is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: la Republika Popular de Kalifornistan
Posts: 8,121
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

If you're thinking of adding the weight and bulk of a magnifier, I'd suggest a scope instead. A 1-4, 1-6, or 1-8 with a throw lever will be far more useful, faster, and less clumsy than a magnifier. Your eyes will thank you.
__________________
Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain. - Sir Winston Churchill

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2018, 11:55 AM
steelholder steelholder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFV
Posts: 2,166
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Get a scope, that will actually correct and heighten your visual shooting experience.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM
unclerandy unclerandy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 820
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

I just had a regular eye check up. I have 20/20 uncorrected vision. I'm 48 years old and small print up close is blurry. The Dr said in no uncertain terms that I do not have any astigmatism in either eye. All my red dot sights appear some what fuzzy with the normal description of a small cluster, sun burst etc. I don't know how to rectify all the information on the web that this means an astigmatism but eye Dr says I do not have this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 PM
k1dude's Avatar
k1dude k1dude is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: la Republika Popular de Kalifornistan
Posts: 8,121
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

IIRC, if you see lights at night in a star/sun burst pattern, you have an astigmatism.
__________________
Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain. - Sir Winston Churchill

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-2018, 7:35 PM
zrockstar's Avatar
zrockstar zrockstar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of Sac
Posts: 244
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
I just had a regular eye check up. I have 20/20 uncorrected vision. I'm 48 years old and small print up close is blurry. The Dr said in no uncertain terms that I do not have any astigmatism in either eye. All my red dot sights appear some what fuzzy with the normal description of a small cluster, sun burst etc. I don't know how to rectify all the information on the web that this means an astigmatism but eye Dr says I do not have this issue.
Twangnbang has a video on how to tell on youtube. Basically rotate the red dot in a circle. If the burst stays the same throughout the rotation, you likely have astigmatism.

p.s. thanks to all who have responded, lots of good points here.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2018, 7:37 PM
zrockstar's Avatar
zrockstar zrockstar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of Sac
Posts: 244
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
If you're thinking of adding the weight and bulk of a magnifier, I'd suggest a scope instead. A 1-4, 1-6, or 1-8 with a throw lever will be far more useful, faster, and less clumsy than a magnifier. Your eyes will thank you.
I have plenty of scopes in those ranges and a few red dots. Two things I don't own are an Eotech and a magnifier, so I was thinking about putting those on a long list of things to get, but would be a lot less interested if the experience was distorted for me.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-12-2018, 7:53 PM
k1dude's Avatar
k1dude k1dude is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: la Republika Popular de Kalifornistan
Posts: 8,121
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrockstar View Post
I have plenty of scopes in those ranges and a few red dots. Two things I don't own are an Eotech and a magnifier, so I was thinking about putting those on a long list of things to get, but would be a lot less interested if the experience was distorted for me.
I have an astigmatism and can't use an EoTech on anything but a shotgun. The EoTech reticle looks like a giant undefined mass of wriggling worms. But I have no problems with red dots, prisms, or scopes. If a red dot starts to distort, I simply turn the illumination down to where it doesn't.
__________________
Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain. - Sir Winston Churchill

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-13-2018, 8:34 AM
teflondog's Avatar
teflondog teflondog is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,395
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I have an astigmatism and the Eotech reticle without a magnifier looks like a ring on fire. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-13-2018, 9:06 AM
Bainter1212's Avatar
Bainter1212 Bainter1212 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,365
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

I don't know whether or not I have an astigmatism, but I do know this - a whole hell of a lot of people use an Eotech incorrectly.

The brightness should be turned down to the point that you can just barely see the reticle....it should be DIM. That way, the reticle will overlay the target instead of obscure it, kind of like a heads-up display in an aircraft. You should be able to see the target THROUGH the dot. This way you will focus on the target, which should correct a lot of issues right then and there (that's what you should be doing anyway).

My brother recently bought a 512. He complained to me that it was too bright and cast a visible light in the dark. I didn't know WTF he was talking about.

Next time he came over, I handed him one of my 512s and asked him to show me. He turned off the lights and TURNED IT ALL THE WAY UP and said "see? too bright". What an idiot. Of course it is too bright in the dark on the highest setting. It is also unuseable when you do that.

It is like putting the gas pedal to the floor, and then telling the officer who pulls you over that the car is defective. Nope....user error.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2018, 9:30 AM
Thanatos2203's Avatar
Thanatos2203 Thanatos2203 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 900
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
I don't know whether or not I have an astigmatism, but I do know this - a whole hell of a lot of people use an Eotech incorrectly.

The brightness should be turned down to the point that you can just barely see the reticle....it should be DIM. That way, the reticle will overlay the target instead of obscure it, kind of like a heads-up display in an aircraft. You should be able to see the target THROUGH the dot. This way you will focus on the target, which should correct a lot of issues right then and there (that's what you should be doing anyway).

My brother recently bought a 512. He complained to me that it was too bright and cast a visible light in the dark. I didn't know WTF he was talking about.

Next time he came over, I handed him one of my 512s and asked him to show me. He turned off the lights and TURNED IT ALL THE WAY UP and said "see? too bright". What an idiot. Of course it is too bright in the dark on the highest setting. It is also unuseable when you do that.

It is like putting the gas pedal to the floor, and then telling the officer who pulls you over that the car is defective. Nope....user error.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I had an Eotech before my astigmatism developed and can guarantee you that having one is a completely different experience then having the brightness up too high for your given environment. I would also not assume user error for everyone else who has had a similar problem.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2018, 9:33 AM
dk94044's Avatar
dk94044 dk94044 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 731
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

ask for astigmatism adjusting contact in your dominant eye
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-13-2018, 9:34 AM
Bainter1212's Avatar
Bainter1212 Bainter1212 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,365
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos2203 View Post
I had an Eotech before my astigmatism developed and can guarantee you that having one is a completely different experience then having the brightness up too high for your given environment. I would also not assume user error for everyone else who has had a similar problem.
Yeah I get that.....but people in this thread are describing astigmatism as a "starburst effect". I only see that effect when the reticle is too bright for conditons. So....that description of astigmatism may confuse people who simply have it turned up too high. Or not. Just want to control for variables.



Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 PM
unclerandy unclerandy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 820
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrockstar View Post
Twangnbang has a video on how to tell on youtube. Basically rotate the red dot in a circle. If the burst stays the same throughout the rotation, you likely have astigmatism.

p.s. thanks to all who have responded, lots of good points here.
That is what Twangnbang says and a lot of other videos. Pretty much every search result on the internet relating to red dot/fuzzy blurry etc. Says its an astigmatism. Two eye Dr's say I have no astigmatism! So who to believe on what the actual explanation is????
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2018, 1:47 AM
retired retired is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,596
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
I don't know whether or not I have an astigmatism, but I do know this - a whole hell of a lot of people use an Eotech incorrectly.

The brightness should be turned down to the point that you can just barely see the reticle....it should be DIM. That way, the reticle will overlay the target instead of obscure it, kind of like a heads-up display in an aircraft. You should be able to see the target THROUGH the dot. This way you will focus on the target, which should correct a lot of issues right then and there (that's what you should be doing anyway).

My brother recently bought a 512. He complained to me that it was too bright and cast a visible light in the dark. I didn't know WTF he was talking about.

Next time he came over, I handed him one of my 512s and asked him to show me. He turned off the lights and TURNED IT ALL THE WAY UP and said "see? too bright". What an idiot. Of course it is too bright in the dark on the highest setting. It is also unuseable when you do that.

It is like putting the gas pedal to the floor, and then telling the officer who pulls you over that the car is defective. Nope....user error.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Well that is one excuse no one ever tried on me. I would have probably smiled and then said, "Press hard and sign here."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.