Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2018, 7:37 AM

Default Question for the legal historians re C&R importation

I am not originally a Californian and am not well schooled on the history of California gun laws. It appears to me that CA PC Section 27585, enacted by the passage of AB 1609 in 2014, first barred the direct importation (i.e. delivered directly to the FFL03 without going through an FFL01 for transfer) of C&R long guns.

Were there any laws, prior to this, barring the direct shipment of C&R long guns to FFL03s inside of California by sellers outside of California?

P.S. The reason I ask is that I had been planning to write my legislators about this because when the bill was enacted, it was stated:

Quote:
(b) It is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting Section 27585 to affect any of the following:
(4) Persons who import or bring firearms into California under existing regulatory statutes who comply with those statutes.
I just wanted to be sure that there were no "existing regulatory statutes" when the bill was enacted that prohibited the direct importation of C&R long guns by FFL03s. The bill, as originally submitted, contained an exemption for collectors that complied with Section 27966 (reporting firearm within 30 days) but that text was removed before it was finalized although the stated intent of the bill did not change.

Last edited by Hinnerk; 03-13-2018 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: to explain question.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinnerk View Post
Were there any laws, prior to this, barring the direct shipment of C&R long guns to FFL03s inside of California by sellers outside of California?
Nope.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-13-2018, 6:00 PM

Write your legislators, ha that is cute. Like they have any idea what they did, tried to do or should have done.
Old 03-13-2018, 7:01 PM

Always worth a try.