Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Default Anyone tried 3d printing dummy rounds?

For training, I'm wondering how PLA holds up, or if it leaves residue on the barrel/bullet ramp.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why would it leave any residue? PLA is fine, and a decent alternative to snap caps (although price is a wash once you consider buying the printer...).

Worst case scenario, whatever you clean your gun with should take off any PLA that happens to get on the barrel.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why? It would be easier, faster and less expensive to make some with just brass, a bullet and a little RTV in the primer hole.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 03-12-2018, 2:18 PM

By residue I mean the pla would scrape off , I could try seating a "bullet" in an old brass case I guess.
Old 03-12-2018, 3:09 PM

Cannoneer, what is the fill substance (RTV) you mentioned? This sounds like a good idea. Can you suggest a durable marking method so these don't get mixed up with live rounds?
Thank you
Old 03-12-2018, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicissitude View Post
By residue I mean the pla would scrape off , I could try seating a "bullet" in an old brass case I guess.
I know what you meant, my point is that PLA is pliable enough that it's not really going to scrape off, if any did it'd just be plastic powder. I've seen people make them, never bothered to try printing any myself because I don't need that many snap caps, and I've got 2-5 metal ones in every caliber I shoot already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting_mom View Post
Cannoneer, what is the fill substance (RTV) you mentioned? This sounds like a good idea. Can you suggest a durable marking method so these don't get mixed up with live rounds?
Thank you
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTV_silicone

You'll know they're not live rounds because there will be silicone goop in the primer hole instead of a brass primer.

Last edited by billofrights; 03-12-2018 at 3:19 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Why? It would be easier, faster and less expensive to make some with just brass, a bullet and a little RTV in the primer hole.
personally I don't want anything brass colored near my weapon during dry fire practice, but RTV in primer hole (especially blue) would be pretty obvious.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 03-13-2018, 8:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting_mom View Post
Thank you
For me, the idea is to be able to get them mixed up unless I am looking at the primer pockets. Clear silicone turns to a dark green but, I'm going shopping for some colored silicone or RTV the next time I head to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
personally I don't want anything brass colored near my weapon during dry fire practice, but RTV in primer hole (especially blue) would be pretty obvious.
For dry fire, you can either color them with a sharpie, metal bluing or even chemical dying. However, I am making a bunch so that people can practice ball and dummy drills so, I don't want them to obvious when they are in magazines. I take 10 dummy rounds and put them in a ziplock bag with 50-100 rounds of ammo and then load my mags without looking. I only load about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bag before refilling it. That way, I never know what the expect when pulling the trigger since, I can't have a good count on how many dummy rounds have been loaded into mags.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 03-13-2018, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicissitude View Post
So, you're just trying to 3d print bullets and not the entire dummy round? As long as you flare the case head, I don't see any scraping issues happening. Plastic bullets, lead bullets, etc. all are subject to the possibility of being shaved a little when being seated but, I've never found it to be an issue.
Utah CCW Instructor