Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 PM

Default Ruger SR9....

So I've heard a lot about Glock vs XD and debating which to get, but I haven't heard much at all about the Ruger SR9, I am seriously considering getting one in the next couple months, it looks like XD vs SR9 for me. I know I need to go rent them and whatever feels right and I will do that but it just concerns me slightly that no one is talking about the SR9. Does anyone have one/shooting experience with shooting one that can provide any insight?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 PM

I looked at it when it first came out. The grip is really narrow and the trigger is not very good. I ended up getting a Beretta PX4. Haven't shot the SR9, though.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 PM

Glock>XD>SR9

Ruger makes good revolvers but I'm not a fan of their semi-auto's. I'd get a Glock man, reliability wise the Glock far outperforms the XD and SR9. If you don't like the Glock's then I'd get the XD or M&P instead of the SR9.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Ok before this gets out of control, I realize there are people who love glocks and that's great and I'll try them too but I'm really looking for anyone who has personal experience with the SR9, I was almost set on it until I found no one talking or reviewing it (except nutnfancy although he seems to love glock and ruger)...
Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 PM

I've shot the SR9 before, only once, didn't like it so I didn't shoot it again. I really don't like the trigger on it. However, one thing with gun's that you'll find is, everyone has an opinion of what they do and don't like.. I would recommend trying out all of the gun's your interested in, at a local range and making your decision based on what you like, and what's comfortable to you. I just know from experience that Glock's are one of the most reliable guns on the market right now. Best of luck finding the right gun, it's an exciting process!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaR_ClouD-VII View Post
reliability wise the Glock far outperforms the XD
Do you have any factual info to back that up? If not I would stop spouting off false information. I love my XD, looks a hell of a lot better than a Glock, doesn't mean I wouldn't ever buy a Glock though, wouldn't mind getting a G20/29 in the future.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:44 PM

well I work at a shooting range and the XD's tend to break way more often than the Glocks.. Look I'm not trying to hate on XD's I think they are good gun's and I wouldn't mind owning one at all.. The Glock's just seem to hold up better. Another thing to keep in mind tho is our rental gun's get thousands of rounds through them every month so If you're not expecting to shoot a large amount of rounds through the gun you purchase I'm sure you won't have any problems either with the Glocks or the XDs.. lol I'm not trying to start a Glock Vs. XD feud here. Just trying to provide useful info to a guy who's lookin to buy a gun.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 PM

I understand, but what is breaking on the XD's?
Old 03-22-2010, 1:10 AM

Steyr M9-A1>M&P>Glock>XD>SR9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
fight the power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
I have one request, will all the fatties please take a shower and use some deodorant before you go to the show.

Last edited by 7.62x54R; 03-22-2010 at 1:12 AM..
Old 03-22-2010, 5:21 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

I have both an XD and SR9, and until recently a Glock as well. (I'll be replacing the Glock I had with a newer model) Of the 3, the SR9 is my favorite. I'll post why - as well as some points of comparison - later today as time allows.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 03-22-2010, 6:15 AM

I love my glocks more than anything, having said that I also have an SR9 and that thing is awesome.

If your going to have fun with it at the range the SR9 will be great. If it is for home defense go Glock.

For the price it's tough to beat the Ruger.
Old 03-22-2010, 6:49 AM

I don't like Glocks - they just don't feel right to me, and I have two XDs that feel and shoot great. I bought an SR9 because of how it felt in my hand, and it shoots good, but the trigger is by far the worst trigger I've ever felt - almost 11lbs pull, and VERY gritty. According to Ruger, that pull weight is way out of spec, so it's been returned for repair.
Old 03-22-2010, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Here's some points of each pistol, compared to each other:
  • Glock: Best trigger reset, very good trigger break, awful grip angle, nice low bore axis.
  • XD: Sloppy trigger reset, best trigger break, excellent grip angle. Bore axis high compared to others.
  • SR9: Good pull/break, excellent reset, best grip and ergonomics, lowest bore axis.

For me, it gets to be a matter of having a "balanced system". As nice as the break is on the XD, the reset leaves me wanting. As nice as the break and reset are on Glocks, the grip angle just bugs me. The lack of ambidextrous controls is also just unexplainable to me. To my hands, the SR9 feels the best and has very good break and reset.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 03-22-2010, 7:41 AM

I just picked up my SR9 last week. I love it! I did a ton of research when looking at it came down to a Glock, XD, M&P and the SR9 for me. I shot them all and the SR9 just felt WAY better in my hand compared to all the others. I was also a bit more accurate with the SR9.

The SR9 has had some issues, but Ruger seems to have them all ironed out now. I'm happy with my decision. If you haven't already, check out rugerforum dot com. Lots of very good info over there.

Bottomline, all the guns you are looking at are quality guns. Shoot them all and get what feels best to YOU
Old 03-22-2010, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

I'm mainly a Glock man, but the SR9 has caught my eye more than a few times while browsing. I'd be interested in trying one, despite some of the negative criticism. Just need to find some time to do so.
Old 03-22-2010, 8:43 AM

+1 on the SR9. I have had my SR for a little over a year now and I really enjoy shooting this gun, its more accurate than I,ll ever be I know because my daughter can out shoot me with it Yes it has had some problems in the past but as said before Ruger has addressed them. As for the trigger pull yes it is a little heavy but I don,t mind because my SR is my bedside gun and I would rather know I,m pulling the trigger than have it go off accidentally. The trigger grittiness will smooth out after awhile or if you go to the Ruger forum there is a sticky on how to smooth it out. Also if you want a lighter trigger pull, Ghost who makes alot of triggers for Glocks has just come out with 4 different trigger bars for the SR9. From what I have read the newer SR9s are better than the earlier models. To finish because this is getting long I have shot a Glock before and did not like the grip and was not impressed by it and I have not shot the XD so no opinion on it. Last as most have said go find a range shoot all 3 if they have them and make your own decision just remember these guns will have been well used, good luck, Redhemi
Old 03-22-2010, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertpilot View Post
I understand, but what is breaking on the XD's?
lately the main part of the XD that has been failing is the locking block. 2 of our 3 XD's (the 9mm's) had the locking blocks crack on them so we sent them back to the factory. I think our XD45 just needs an extractor replacement. I will admit that I do like the XD45 tactical better than any of the .45ACP Glocks, and I'm looking forward to that one returning from the factory.
Old 03-22-2010, 9:02 AM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Couple of years ago, I went looking for a new pistol. I shot over 20, narrowed it down to the best 3, and picked the best one (for me).

The SR9 made my top 3. The grip was a little thin for me, but it shot as accurately as the M&P I eventually chose.

Lots of people like to compare the trigger of the GLock, XD, SR9, M&P to a 1911 trigger and say the others suck. I didn't think the trigger was any better or worse on the SR9 than on the Glock, XD or M&P. And yes, 1911 triggers are better. That doesn't mean the other triggers suck, just means the 1911's are an excellent design.
COTEP #227

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Ok thanks for the feedback, does anyone know of a torture test done for the SR9?
Similiar to XD:
http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
or Glock:
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...ask=view&id=90
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTactics View Post
Here's some points of each pistol, compared to each other:
  • Glock: Best trigger reset, very good trigger break, awful grip angle, nice low bore axis.
  • XD: Sloppy trigger reset, best trigger break, excellent grip angle. Bore axis high compared to others.
  • SR9: Good pull/break, excellent reset, best grip and ergonomics, lowest bore axis.

For me, it gets to be a matter of having a "balanced system". As nice as the break is on the XD, the reset leaves me wanting. As nice as the break and reset are on Glocks, the grip angle just bugs me. The lack of ambidextrous controls is also just unexplainable to me. To my hands, the SR9 feels the best and has very good break and reset.

Finally! An opinion with logical explanation backing it!

- M&P 15-22

Military Decals, Apparel, and More

Quote:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Old 03-23-2010, 5:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaron76 View Post
Ok thanks for the feedback, does anyone know of a torture test done for the SR9?
Similiar to XD:
http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
or Glock:
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...ask=view&id=90
I am unaware of any complete torture testing ala Glock/XD. I think one of the gun magazines shot 12,000 rounds through it without stopping or cleaning it ... something like that, with zero failures of any kind. If you check out the internals, the whole thing looks very beefy though ... very Glock/XD like.

Old 03-23-2010, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

I like the look of the SR9 and it's slim ergonomic grip, however the polymer frame material looks too plasticky to me. It's like cheap BB gun plastic.

Super Robot VOLTES V
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Have fun & always be safe.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Old 03-23-2010, 7:42 AM

My dad bought this gun, at the time against my suggestions. It shoots pretty well, much to my surprise. I have a S&W Sigma that I love, most people hate it. It isn't a target pistol but it goes boom every time. I don't think my dad's SR9 has more than 200 shots so I can't comment on it's reliability. They get a bad rap partly because they are cheap, there aren't a whole lot of parts/accessories out there, and because they don't have the police contracts like the others. That's not to say that in a side by side comparison guns like the SR9 would beat out the Glock/XD/etc but that doesn't mean it's a bad gun.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 AM

at the comments from the glock fanbois..
Old 03-23-2010, 4:10 PM

the sr9 is a fine pistol.. had some issues when it first came out but i like it over the XD since it doesnt have the grip safety.... and i find it ergonomic (and it has a manual saftey aswell as the trigger saftey which some people may or may not like.

NUTNFANCY has a solid review on the SR9 and worth checking out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpTaV3A2jIE

btw i own a glock 17...

Note the SR9 is on a whole other level than rugers P series(me personally id never buy a P serise but i would buy an sr9) ... and id put the SR9 way higher than a sigma...

Last edited by KevinXT; 03-23-2010 at 4:14 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 4:36 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinXT View Post
the sr9 is a fine pistol.. had some issues when it first came out but i like it over the XD since it doesnt have the grip safety.... and i find it ergonomic (and it has a manual saftey aswell as the trigger saftey which some people may or may not like.

NUTNFANCY has a solid review on the SR9 and worth checking out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpTaV3A2jIE

btw i own a glock 17...

Note the SR9 is on a whole other level than rugers P series(me personally id never buy a P serise but i would buy an sr9) ... and id put the SR9 way higher than a sigma...
Yikes - I was going to mention the P89 (discontinued), or P95 before the SR9. And man, you gotta admit, for an S&W product, the Sigma has an awful trigger, cheap feel - IMHO.

I have a P90 (yes it's a beast), but it and the P89 and P95 have really nice triggers. BTW - There are almost no GREAT triggers on a new unmodified gun. I'm don't own poly pistols, but a Glock is reliable, and shoot straight. And with more $$ - a PX4 is pretty sweet too!!!

Not sure nutnfancy is much of an endorsement!!!

I haven't shot a P345, so didn't include it in the list of Rugers... (oh, why the Ruger hate!! (for the actual products - not the man)).

Old 03-23-2010, 4:56 PM

The Ruger SR9 is a good gun and a great value. I almost bought one, but went with a Glock 17 instead. The deciding factor for me was the magazine disconnect in the Ruger (as required per California law to get on the rouster).
Old 03-23-2010, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
The Ruger SR9 is a good gun and a great value. I almost bought one, but went with a Glock 17 instead. The deciding factor for me was the magazine disconnect in the Ruger (as required per California law to get on the rouster).
It literally takes about a minute to remove the magazine disconnect. There are write ups on the Internet that will show you how to do this. I wouldn't base a purchase decision on that alone.
Old 03-23-2010, 5:39 PM

I love my SR9 and would buy it again. I don't own a Glock or other 9mm. If I were to get another 9mm it would probably be an M&P or Sig Sauer.
Old 03-23-2010, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldude View Post
It literally takes about a minute to remove the magazine disconnect. There are write ups on the Internet that will show you how to do this. I wouldn't base a purchase decision on that alone.
Its the principal of it, it may not matter to some, but to me it was important enough to tip the scales in the Glock direction.

Last edited by cindynles; 03-23-2010 at 9:09 PM..