Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 08-17-2018, 8:10 PM
MrBlazito's Avatar
MrBlazito MrBlazito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 824
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
Is this available with all wireless providers?
Look up your wireless provider's network band.

The phone works on the following network bands:


UMTS/HSPA+: 1, 2, 4, 5 6, 8

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A: 0, 1, 10

FDD-LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 17, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66

TDD-LTE: 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

TD-SCDMA: 34, 39
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-24-2018, 8:19 AM
Zorba's Avatar
Zorba Zorba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ex-Monterey, now Florida
Posts: 714
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ajunkie View Post
I bet you still have a black and white tv, vcr, typewriter, oh and why are you online again?
Not at all, although I get stupid comments like this fairly often - and I was using, building, designing, and programming computers before most people had ever even seen one, much less owned. Smartfones are stupid. They're outrageously expensive to acquire, outrageously expensive to feed (Monthly bill$$$$), they're a jack of all trades and master of none. Too big to be a fone, too small (and limited) to be a computer. I pay $15/mo for my fone (that I charge once a week), and use a real computer - with a real display and a real keyboard - for online stuff as well as the various computing tasks that arise that you'll never do on a smartfone. Incidentally, my flip can be dropped 6 feet onto concrete, be submerged for 30 minutes, withstand extreme temps and dirt, etc, etc - unlike a smartfone that will break if you drop it 3 inches onto a pillow!

I'd guess that 95% of the people who have one really don't need one, its a status symbol for many. The Telcos have a racket - they charge $400 to $1,000 for one of these useless devices - AND they have everyone convinced that they need to DO IT AGAIN every 2 years while paying $80/mo for the privilege. People are too dumb to figure out they're being rooked for a luxury item they really don't need.

Oh, although I do have a VCR here somewhere, we pulled the plug on another $80+/mo money pit: Cable TV. TiVo et al, was the ultimate stupidity. Stupid Americans will pay good money to have a pseudo-"service" to program their VCR replacement to record a bunch of overpriced crap.

Last edited by Zorba; 08-24-2018 at 8:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Dan_Eastvale's Avatar
Dan_Eastvale Dan_Eastvale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,208
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Not at all, although I get stupid comments like this fairly often - and I was using, building, designing, and programming computers before most people had ever even seen one, much less owned. Smartfones are stupid. They're outrageously expensive to acquire, outrageously expensive to feed (Monthly bill$$$$), they're a jack of all trades and master of none. Too big to be a fone, too small (and limited) to be a computer. I pay $15/mo for my fone (that I charge once a week), and use a real computer - with a real display and a real keyboard - for online stuff as well as the various computing tasks that arise that you'll never do on a smartfone. Incidentally, my flip can be dropped 6 feet onto concrete, be submerged for 30 minutes, withstand extreme temps and dirt, etc, etc - unlike a smartfone that will break if you drop it 3 inches onto a pillow!

I'd guess that 95% of the people who have one really don't need one, its a status symbol for many. The Telcos have a racket - they charge $400 to $1,000 for one of these useless devices - AND they have everyone convinced that they need to DO IT AGAIN every 2 years while paying $80/mo for the privilege. People are too dumb to figure out they're being rooked for a luxury item they really don't need.

Oh, although I do have a VCR here somewhere, we pulled the plug on another $80+/mo money pit: Cable TV. TiVo et al, was the ultimate stupidity. Stupid Americans will pay good money to have a pseudo-"service" to program their VCR replacement to record a bunch of overpriced crap.
I'm 68 if single I probably would have a flip phone and the cheapest basic tv cable but high sopeed internet for my home built PC.

But being married with children (got married really late at 58) I need a smart phone as my wife always uses chat, Whats App, needs me to take photos and send them to her or I need her to send me photos (searching for things for her and the kids while shopping etc).
I also need constant access to email for bills, statements, doctor's appointments, other info like swimming lessons for the kids, soccer games, tumbling times, karate times, cub scouts etc...
So I have a Note 8. Big enough for my fat fingers...

But, again, if I were single I would have no need for any of that.. I'd probably just drink a lot of Jim Beam sitting in front of a smaller screen tv or my PC listening to my MP3's.. And wouldn't care or worry about a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-24-2018, 2:21 PM
Zorba's Avatar
Zorba Zorba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ex-Monterey, now Florida
Posts: 714
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

My life pretty much runs on email - and a computer works just fine for that. I don't need to check my email every 5 minutes of every day.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-24-2018, 5:06 PM
Rem222's Avatar
Rem222 Rem222 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SF BayArea
Posts: 1,310
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Samsung Galaxy Note 4... Another old guy.

Last edited by Rem222; 08-24-2018 at 5:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-26-2018, 9:38 AM
MrBlazito's Avatar
MrBlazito MrBlazito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 824
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Looks like MetroPCS is coming up with a new Alcatel 7...might have to upgrade from my Zmax Pro.

Alcatel and MetroPCS today announced the Alcatel 7, a large Android phone that focuses on entertainment. The Alcatel 7 has a 6-inch, full HD+ screen at a 2:1 aspect ratio. Alcatel says it kept the bezels to a minimum. The phone is powered by an octa-core MediaTek MT6763T processor with 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. Alcatel opted for a dual-camera system on the rear with a 12-megapixel main sensor and a 2-megapixel depth sensor to provide features such as bokeh and re-focus. The front-facing 8-megapixel camera boasts its own, dedicated selfie flash. Other hardware features include a fingerprint reader, Face Key unlocking, 4,000mAh battery with rapid charging, and support for microSD memory cards. On the software front, the Alcatel 7 runs Android 8.1 Oreo and includes Alcatel's CloserTV app, which is a single place for users to watch their favorite online streaming services and cable TV content. Alcatel says users can log in to their various video providers via this one app and then cast it to their TV. MetroPCS is selling the Alcatel 7 beginning today for $180. Customers who port their number to MetroPCS and subscribe to an unlimited plan can get the Alcatel 7 for free. Customers who open a new line of service or have an upgrade can get the phone for $129.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Dubious_Beans's Avatar
Dubious_Beans Dubious_Beans is offline
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 3,534
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
The Telcos have a racket - they charge $400 to $1,000 for one of these useless devices - AND they have everyone convinced that they need to DO IT AGAIN every 2 years while paying $80/mo for the privilege.
My phone was $150 and it's given good service for over 3 years. That's about $4/month.

We pay $45/month for service (Consumer Cellular) which includes unlimited talk and text on *3* phones, mine, wifes, and moms. So that $15 per phone per month.

My mom has out of state friends she talks to a lot and the long distance bill on her land line was way more than what we pay for cell service and she can talk all day for no extra charge. So mom saves money by having a cell phone instead of using land line.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-27-2018, 7:16 AM
Deedle Deedle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: America
Posts: 777
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

'Droid clone.
__________________
"No personal computer will ever have gigabytes of RAM" - Scott Nudds
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-27-2018, 7:48 AM
ac398 ac398 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 236
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Note 5. i got screwed in the whole Note 7 debacle, kind of made me want to stop upgrading my phones until they really needed it. Im hoping I can get a Note 8 in a couple months with my extended warranty. T-mobile charges $5 to replace your phone if it has a hardware issue
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-27-2018, 9:41 AM
E92335i's Avatar
E92335i E92335i is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GSW, SF Giants, 49ers
Posts: 2,779
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

iPhone 8 Plus ATT.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:21 AM
strakill's Avatar
strakill strakill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Don't want to be here anymore
Posts: 501
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Samsung S7. I do not recommend this phone. I have to multi task with this piece (phone, text, email, GPS tracking for trucks) and it just doesn't like it. Freezes between screens, slow to open different functions (especially text). The touch and swipe function is irritatingly inconsistent. I know it's older but just in case you were thinking about it.

1.5/7 Would not recommend
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 08-29-2018, 9:49 AM
Zorba's Avatar
Zorba Zorba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ex-Monterey, now Florida
Posts: 714
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
My phone was $150 and it's given good service for over 3 years. That's about $4/month.

We pay $45/month for service (Consumer Cellular) which includes unlimited talk and text on *3* phones, mine, wifes, and moms. So that $15 per phone per month.

My mom has out of state friends she talks to a lot and the long distance bill on her land line was way more than what we pay for cell service and she can talk all day for no extra charge. So mom saves money by having a cell phone instead of using land line.
You're doing better than most. I too am paying $15/mo with Consumer Cellular, great company. I just had to buy a new fone - my $30 Consumer Cellular flip started acting flaky after about 4 years, so I bought a Samsung Rugby 4 rugged flip which is everything I'd ever want in a fone - and more - without the stupid smartfone nonsense. I'm really hoping I get 10 years out of it like I did an old Motorola flip years back.

The best fone I ever had was a Panasonic bag fone - that I used for 18 years. I'd still be using it except "they" turned off the old analog cell service!

We got rid of the land line (and Cable TV!) several years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 08-29-2018, 5:24 PM
axel4488's Avatar
axel4488 axel4488 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,291
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Note 9. Been almost a week with it and only gripe is that Bixby button you cannot turn off or change. Came from an iPhone X and liked that, just wanted a change.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 08-30-2018, 6:07 PM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
My life pretty much runs on email - and a computer works just fine for that. I don't need to check my email every 5 minutes of every day.
I miss those days. Clients are so demanding anymore that 5 minutes is excessive.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 08-30-2018, 6:12 PM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
...without the stupid smartfone nonsense...
I can see why the functionality is unnecessary for some, in my line of work, having a flashlight, calculator, camera, navigation, calendar, direct line of communication to coworkers and clients, etc. in one device is invaluable. For me, this is worth at least 5x what I pay, but let's not share that with Verizon.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 PM
MrBlazito's Avatar
MrBlazito MrBlazito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 824
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

So MetroPCS has officially been rebranded to Metro By T-Mobile. They will now offer unlimited plans starting with $50 a month. The $60 plan gets you unlimited everything with 15GB hotspot and amazon prime/google one memberships.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-04-2018, 6:59 PM
Zorba's Avatar
Zorba Zorba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ex-Monterey, now Florida
Posts: 714
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Ouch! That's expensive! Granted, cheaper than some, but I can't see paying $50/mo for fone.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-04-2018, 7:55 PM
MrBlazito's Avatar
MrBlazito MrBlazito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 824
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Ouch! That's expensive! Granted, cheaper than some, but I can't see paying $50/mo for fone.
They will still have $30 and $40 plans with 5GB/10GB LTE data. I'm on a $40 promo plan right now with 6GB LTE and I won't mind the extra 4GB upgrade
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 10-09-2018, 12:31 AM
jguevara_95 jguevara_95 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 111
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Iphone 7 plus. Not bad. Im always behind on the iphone game. Ill get the X 5 yrs from now..
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 10-09-2018, 7:36 AM
Mute's Avatar
Mute Mute is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Diamond Bar
Posts: 6,533
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
Note 9. Been almost a week with it and only gripe is that Bixby button you cannot turn off or change. Came from an iPhone X and liked that, just wanted a change.
Download bxactions. This app allows you to remap the button including disabling bixby access.
__________________
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page


Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 10-09-2018, 3:18 PM
Zorba's Avatar
Zorba Zorba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ex-Monterey, now Florida
Posts: 714
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
They will still have $30 and $40 plans with 5GB/10GB LTE data. I'm on a $40 promo plan right now with 6GB LTE and I won't mind the extra 4GB upgrade
I'm paying $15/mo, which is about right for a fone as far as I'm concerned!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 AM
Blade Gunner's Avatar
Blade Gunner Blade Gunner is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,351
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Alexander Graham Bell autograph model crank phone no dial.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it all wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.