Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Exclamation Pleasant Hill: Public Meeting on Firearms & Ammunition Sales in Residential Zones

So they are at it again, this time for the purpose of (I guess) restrictions on gun stores in certain areas that are deemed to be residential zones.

We went to one of these meetings in Pleasant Hill several years ago (that's how I met quite a few people here), and we were hugely successful. We have the opportunity to be hugely successful again.

Where:
Pleasant Hill City Council
Community Rooms
100 Gregory Lane
Pleasant Hill, California 94523

When:
Thursday November 15, 2012 at 6pm (Standard Time)

Here is the Facebook Even Page, and EVERYONE is invited.

Erik.
Old 11-02-2012, 3:07 PM

Damn I live in PH, don't think i can make it though.

I think this is about that home based FFL.. Brady group has been going crazy over it.
Old 11-03-2012, 8:25 AM

Ugh. This crap again. Looks like I'll be going to a meeting.
Old 11-03-2012, 8:38 AM
In Memoriam

I remember reading that a few Brady zombies are running for some city seats in P.Hill
in this upcoming election. I live in Walnut Creek but may need to show up to see what
goes on.
-g
Old 11-03-2012, 7:44 PM

Default intent

Brady group has been spreading this since Pinole. The gun dealer most affected would be Gun Works being a mixed residential zone. Last time they tries to place restrictions by 500 feet from residential and this would probably be the same. Yes here we go again.
Old 11-03-2012, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

And by this being a "workshop" I guess it means that we can't ask questions, only input.

Erik.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 PM

Ill be there!

And the local Claycord.com blog picked up on this also.

http://claycord.com/2012/11/02/pleas...neighborhoods/

http://claycord.com/wp-content/uploa...ph_meeting.jpg
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 AM

I've gone back and re-read a couple of the articles (Pleasant Hill Patch and Halfway to Concord) and looked again at the comments. Two things in particular: the anti's are really trying to frame this as a public safety issue, and some of the commenters didn't seem to understand that a home-sales FFL has to comply with the same regulations as an FFL that has a store-front, and that buyers from a home-based FFL also have to comply with the law. I got the distinct impression that some of them thought that "selling guns out of a home" means that they can just by-pass the laws, as can the buyers. It's a fear and loathing campaign, and it works for some people.
Old 11-07-2012, 6:20 AM

Checking this morning, looks like Durant has won re-election, Carlson is in second place, Flaherty and Bonato are tied. Looks like I'll have to start attending city council meetings.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll be there.

Folks - if you can, take a couple hours out of your Thursday and show up. It's not a lot of work. If you don't want to talk, don't. But your presence alone helps to bolster our cause.

Oh - and if you haven't had a chance, please take a moment to review this report by the City of Sunnyvale on firearms businesses. It's pretty instructive. I just might have a couple sets bound up for the Council.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by jdberger; 11-07-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Old 11-08-2012, 4:17 AM

Should be interesting. Will be there.
Old 11-08-2012, 6:13 AM

I've shared the information with a friend and will share with a neighbor of her who thinks will be interested. I'll try to be there, don't see any reason right now why I can't make it.
Old 11-08-2012, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I've gone back and re-read a couple of the articles (Pleasant Hill Patch and Halfway to Concord) and looked again at the comments. Two things in particular: the anti's are really trying to frame this as a public safety issue, and some of the commenters didn't seem to understand that a home-sales FFL has to comply with the same regulations as an FFL that has a store-front, and that buyers from a home-based FFL also have to comply with the law. I got the distinct impression that some of them thought that "selling guns out of a home" means that they can just by-pass the laws, as can the buyers. It's a fear and loathing campaign, and it works for some people.
That's exactly it.

"Guns are dangerous"

"This guy shouldn't have guns in his home - its dangerous"

Or even "I'm a nurse, and I see gun violence all the time. Say no to guns. Dear Lord - isn't someone going to do something?!"

Once again - the one guy they approved to do this went through all the hoops at the city, State and Federal level. He has no standing gun inventory (other than his own personal weapons). He is far from un-regulated. He was personally checked out by the City Police Chief and was found to be "squeaky clean".

But let's not make this about the one guy.

Let's do what has already been done. Let's ask "what public safety problem are you trying to solve?". There has been no problem - what potential problem are you therefore trying to solve?

The City has limited resources. The City sees sales tax and other revenue from every lawful business. You guys already tried to go after brick and mortar gun stores and that blew up in your face. Why go after this one business, who has operated lawfully? DONT YOU HAVE BIGGER FISH TO FRY?

Last edited by Drivedabizness; 11-08-2012 at 8:27 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2012, 9:19 AM

Been working on spreading the word about this, here in PH and the Diablo Valley. A friend and local "business owner" asked for my help, in putting it up on their FB page, as well as talking to folks, face to face, here in the area.

I Don't have anyone on the the inside, per se, but another friend, who was one of the recent candidates for City Council (who did not win) was just telling me, last night, that there are several folks they've talked to, who are fed up with the Brady's. Many are also fed up with PH Council's nonchalance about being in the pocket of special interest groups, in general.

This meeting is downstairs, I think (???) and not in the Council Chambers, where the zoning ordinance meetings were. Not entirely sure. As before, I'll be there. My better half will be stuck at work and is bummed she can't come, this time.

Probably too late to get them in time, but the Calguns lapel pins ($4) would be a great innocuous way to find/I.D. fellow Calgunners, at these events. Wishing I had one, now. I remember for the zoning thing, people were saying to "dress nice" and not look like a bunch of miscreants. Got a good chuckle out of that, but probably good advice, nonetheless.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes. Dress nice. Business casual is fine.

This isn't a fight. It's a workshop. Most of the objections to guns by these folks stem from ignorance - willful or not. California's gun laws are so byzantine they're almost impossible to understand. Combine that with ignorance about the basic workings of the actual hardware and you get unreasoning fear. Hoplophobia.

We can help by being there. Lending our expertise to the process.

Please join us.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-09-2012, 6:57 AM

I'm planning to be there, and I do understand it's not a fight. I thought I'd research requirements a person has to go through to get a FFL, since I do believe people are ignorant of the regulations and the oversight of the sales, and of the buyers. I want to be able to counter any arguments people might come up with that home based sales are unregulated and will have no oversight.

I promise I'll dress decently.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM

My Calguns lapel pins just arrived in the mail... So I'll have one on, at the meeting. Mr. Dave also threw in some Calguns brochures and business cards, so I'll have those on me as well, to hand out. Hit me up if you need any.
Old 11-13-2012, 1:30 PM

Be more calm, collected and professional than the anti's. Like most I have converted, they are anti because of upbringing, culture, unfamiliarity, etc. Out class them.

Their kids could be as lucky to grow up out doors, out in the prairies and mountains with dad and friends instead of straining the couch with an Xbox controller.
Old 11-13-2012, 3:06 PM

I will be there. In full camo gear. Hey, hey, just kidding! Suit/tie.
Old 11-13-2012, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Arrow

I am going.

Moderator,

Can this be preed and cobined with this thread so that Puppy8a9's is on top?

Erik.
Old 11-13-2012, 8:43 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
I am going.

Moderator,

Can this be preed and cobined with this thread so that Puppy8a9's is on top?

Erik.
Good idea, but the software insists on the oldest post first anyway, so the thread would have puppy's title, but the Nov 2 posts up through Nov 11 posts would still appear first.

Just show up - it'll be a good opportunity to meet folks. We usually do a little organization before the session starts.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-13-2012, 8:51 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by osokne View Post
Probably too late to get them in time, but the Calguns lapel pins ($4) would be a great innocuous way to find/I.D. fellow Calgunners, at these events. Wishing I had one, now. I remember for the zoning thing, people were saying to "dress nice" and not look like a bunch of miscreants. Got a good chuckle out of that, but probably good advice, nonetheless.
One of you responsible types that can meet up with me can help out on this front if you like this idea, got 300 of these suckers for this and future events. Unfortunately I have an event in SF and won't attend PHill.

Old 11-13-2012, 8:54 PM

I forgot about this..sadly I can't get out of work for this.
Old 11-13-2012, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Good idea, but the software insists on the oldest post first anyway, so the thread would have puppy's title, but the Nov 2 posts up through Nov 11 posts would still appear first.

Just show up - it'll be a good opportunity to meet folks. We usually do a little organization before the session starts.
So, do I just look for the guys with the Calguns pins?
Old 11-13-2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
So, do I just look for the guys with the Calguns pins?
I'll be wearing one and as luck would have it, my better half is going to be able to come, after all (albeit a little late). Hope I can convince her to wear the other one. I got the idea and got in to this thread, a little late, so I don't know who does or doesn't have a pin, or other identifying ornament/clothing/tattoo, etc.

I was at both the planning commission meetings but didn't really meet any other Calgunners, even though I knew they were there. Saw their posts before & after each meeting, etc. Was a bit bummed out that we all kinda "passed in the night". This and the zoning issues, are local for me... and have a very direct effect, on some very dear friends of ours. So either way, we're in it for the long haul.
Old 11-13-2012, 9:27 PM

lol - u no like my non gun related button?
Old 11-13-2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
I like it just fine! I'll look for those, too.
Old 11-13-2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
I like them fine, too. I think I suggested the pins before the buttons, but as scatterbrained as things have been of late... who knows! Either pin or button works, I think.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM

You wanna get and distribute buttons?

FREE BUTTONS!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM

i can pick up the buttons from you any time.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredieusa View Post
Anyone know what the time limit will be for public comments?
3 minutes per speaker.

http://www.ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us/ar...20W_RN1346.pdf

Last edited by osokne; 11-15-2012 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Edit
Old 11-15-2012, 1:26 PM
Administrator

Bump - 6 PM

The community rooms are in the 1-story building along Gregory.

Here's the memo: http://www.ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us/Do...ter/View/10364

Here's the bit of PH code they want to talk about - http://www.ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us/Do...ter/View/10365

Please let the city have its introductory 'say'.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-15-2012, 4:03 PM

I'll be there, and a friend of mine is meeting me there. Just two little old ladies in tennis shoes - won't they be surprised.

Ok, I'm not that little, and I won't be wearing tennis shoes.
Old 11-15-2012, 4:07 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger

Man I wish could have attended. I was there for the past PH events, and I really wanted to attend tonight. I'm sorry I could not make it...

I wish our effort well. And I hope the "work shop" is *open* to input...that's all that's needed.

If we're well spoken, and aren't the craziest people in the room, we will do well (Oaklander).

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 11-15-2012, 4:15 PM

The Memo basically says there is no issue with public safety or criminal activity associated with this or any other licensed dealer in the city. It seems to indicate this ball got rolling due to somebody's "concerns"; which according to their own memo, are unfounded. Go get 'em Calgunners!

John 14:6
Old 11-15-2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
The Memo basically says there is no issue with public safety or criminal activity associated with this or any other licensed dealer in the city. It seems to indicate this ball got rolling due to somebody's "concerns"; which according to their own memo, are unfounded. Go get 'em Calgunners!
I read the memo. We'll see what the Brady's have to say. "We're worried about public safety!" OK, so what problem do you see here, what is going to affect public safety? Looks like someone is trying to find a problem and apply a solution.
Old 11-15-2012, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I read the memo. We'll see what the Brady's have to say. "We're worried about public safety!" OK, so what problem do you see here, what is going to affect public safety? Looks like someone is trying to find a problem and apply a solution.
More like inventing a problem... This permit has already been issued and there is an existing "track record" of no problems according to the city's own memo. The entire argument is moot at this point. The real issue is "I don't like guns". The bigger issue is "I don't like your civil right to have, buy or sell a gun". This country was founded on people doing business out of their homes.

John 14:6
Old 11-15-2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
More like inventing a problem... This permit has already been issued and there is an existing "track record" of no problems according to the city's own memo. The entire argument is moot at this point. The real issue is "I don't like guns". The bigger issue is "I don't like your civil right to have, buy or sell a gun".
Yeah, I didn't word it correctly. There IS no problem, but the anti's have a solution to a non-existent problem. They're all worried about "public safety" and it "might" be compromised by the mere presence of someone legally selling a firearm to a law abiding citizen that can pass a background check.
Old 11-15-2012, 4:58 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger

Quote:
We'll see what the Brady's have to say. "We're worried about public safety!" OK, so what problem do you see here, what is going to affect public safety? Looks like someone is trying to find a problem and apply a solution.
The Brady's only success is usually based on twisting the political will of Politicians, and not based on facts, but only emotions. Especially politicians emotions (for fear of not acting on "such dangerous issues brought forward"). However, they are somewhat *polished* in their approach...which always seems to carry some (misguided) political clout...

I've always preferred and used the term "providing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist"...and that's applicable here as well as everywhere they show up. They lack facts and substance - they rely soley on emotions.

Best wishes folks. I look forward to an update...

ETA: They NEVER have any data or statictics to back up their position - they only have emotion. They are well intended, but unfortunately quite missinformed.

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.

Last edited by chiselchst; 11-15-2012 at 5:21 PM..