Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-16-2018, 7:57 AM

fleshlight.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:58 AM
CGN Contributor

Throwing stars, knives, daggers, swords, pistols, rifles, dogs, shotguns and menopausal wives.

No matter what your defense. Layer it and give yourself an edge. Stout locks, fences, gates, automatic lights, alarms, dogs. Whatever it is. Have the layers to buy you the time to wake up, call police, barricade yourself in or to strip naked and attack with a trout like a true ninja.

Just give yourself the time to wake and be ready.

Best of luck and I hope none of us ever get in that situation. The best home defense shooting is the one you do not have to do.

Here I am.
Old 04-16-2018, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
Pretty hard to beat the auditory intimidation of a pump shotgun being cycled. Honestly, IMO it is much easier to clear a house with a handgun than any type of long gun. Have you ever tried to work your corners and doorways with a shotgun or carbine?
Easy to beat the sound of a pump shotgun being cycled???

Consider you've already given away your location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
Kimber Ultra CDP II with Crimson Trace green laser on headboard with extra mag and Ithaca 12 gauge pump loaded with no. 8 birdshot on the back of the bedroom door covered by a couple of bathrobes.
So you're expecting a bird to enter the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
if eight rounds in close quarters won't get the job done you have a serious problem. A double barrel shotgun works just fine and you don't even have to have your glasses on. (LOL). Most bullets will go through a target and then at least one wall. You do not want to kill a relative with a stray or over powered round. Home defense is an art.
I'm still waiting for an actual example of a shooting where someone has been injured or killed on the other side of the wall. Got one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
12 GA with 2.75" #4 Buck is just about perfect. Even BB size shot is good for inside the house distances. Springfield XD-9 sub-compact carry gun is also usually nearby as is an FEG Hi-Power clone, both with 124 gr Speer Gold Dot.
BB shot is designed to kill birds...imagine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
Theres a big difference between copper bb's and steel pellets. At 700fps and say 7 yards, this will do damage. Maybe not kill, but will keep the good guy out of jail for protecting his home.
I may be mistaken, but I've always trained to stop the threat. A pellet gun is not on my list. Got an example of a good guy in jail for protecting his home??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Throwing stars, knives, daggers, swords, pistols, rifles, dogs, shotguns and menopausal wives.

No matter what your defense. Layer it and give yourself an edge. Stout locks, fences, gates, automatic lights, alarms, dogs. Whatever it is. Have the layers to buy you the time to wake up, call police, barricade yourself in or to strip naked and attack with a trout like a true ninja.

Just give yourself the time to wake and be ready.

Best of luck and I hope none of us ever get in that situation. The best home defense shooting is the one you do not have to do.
^thread.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 04-16-2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFlyer View Post
I wanted to ask opinions on what you guys keep by the bed as a nighttime bedroom gun?

Decisions Decisions!
I have a Beretta 92 9mm on one night stand, a Colt 1911 .45 on the other, in the headboard I have a Remington 870 loaded with 00 buck. On the way to the bathroom (since I have a bad prostrate) I keep a Ruger PC9 in the hall closet with the extra sheets just in case I am attacked on one of my three to four nightly trips to go pee. Once in the bathroom I keep a Glock .40 in the water tank and a .22 derringer in the toilet paper bin. Should I feel hungry on one of my trips to the bathroom I keep a S&W model 60 .38 in with the Girl Scout cookies I have stashed in the freezer. In case I also want some milk to go with those thin mints I keep a spare Ruger Bearcat .22 in with the juice boxes in the fridge. Of course all this eating and drinking frequently takes me back to the bathroom, but as I already said I am well covered in there.

I guess I could also just have installed an alarm system and locked the doors and windows, but all the worry helps me sleep better.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 04-17-2018 at 5:51 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepamjohn View Post
I have a Beretta 92 9mm on one night stand, a Colt 1911 .45 on the other, in the headboard I have a Remington 870 loaded with 00 buck. On the way to the bathroom (since I have a bad prostrate) I keep a Ruger PC9 in the hall closet with the extra sheets just in case I am attached on one of my three to four nightly trips to go pee. Once in the bathroom I keep a Glock .40 in the water tank and a .22 derringer in the toilet paper bin. Should I feel hungry on one of my trips to the bathroom I keep a S&W model 60 .38 in with the Girl Scout cookies I have stashed in the freezer. In case I also want some milk to go with those thin mints I keep a spare Ruger Bearcat .22 in with the juice boxes in the fridge. Of course all this eating and drinking frequently takes me back to the bathroom, but as I already said I am well covered in there.

I guess I could also just have installed an alarm system and locked the doors and windows, but all the worry helps me sleep better.
Old 04-17-2018, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther White View Post
458 socom AR and Glock 22 because F you, thats why. You should've picked another house to break into.
+1 for the "Good Will Hunting" reference. What about a backup wrench?

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 04-17-2018, 9:50 AM

Default Ditto

Same, I now keep the pistol bedside in a bio safe, shotgun was retired to safe storage. Little less accessible but little ones are the first consideration these days : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFlyer View Post
I have little ones....my G34 is in a bio safe and the Shotgun is only unlocked while I sleep..otherwise it is in a locked cabinet in my locked bedroom
Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 PM

-hanko Quote: BB shot is designed to kill birds...imagine that.

Also works for coyotes at 30-40 yards. I imagine a 12 GA load of .177" pellets at 15 or 20 feet would do a number on a person.

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 04-17-2018 at 1:01 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko
I'm still waiting for an actual example of a shooting where someone has been injured or killed on the other side of the wall. Got one?
Yeah, when I was in high school a bunch of my idiot classmates broke into a shack and found a pistol. In true idiot fashion they shot into a wall not knowing their idiot friend was standing on the other side. He died.
Old 04-17-2018, 9:58 PM

How about this one:
Quote:
Gunfighter John Wesley Hardin was one of the most notorious killers to come out of the Old West (while staying overnight at a hotel, he was awakened by the snoring of a man in the next room; Hardin reached over, grabbed his pistol and fired a shot through the wall, killing the man).
Old 04-17-2018, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

WINCHESTER 1300. 18.5 inch barrel with 00 Buck. I really can't imagine needing anything more.
Old 04-18-2018, 6:02 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
WINCHESTER 1300. 18.5 inch barrel with 00 Buck. I really can't imagine needing anything more.
You don't need anything more. Some of us feel like we need something different, but it's not like you're ever going to be under gunned in your home with 12g buck.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyrecoil View Post
fleshlight.
The key to success in a life or death scenario is keeping a good head. You can't go in there ready to burst!

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
The key to success in a life or death scenario is keeping a good head. You can't go in there ready to burst!

Here I am.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

My side
12 gauge mossberg 590
.45 pistol

Her side
Mossberg 590 with shortened stock
9mm pistol

I would not swap out a 12 gauge for a pistol caliber carbine. 12 gauge is the quicker putter-downer.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Remington 870 12ga 00buck and slugs
Glock 21sf .45 230gr HP
Glock 22 .40S&W 180gr HP
S&W model 10 .38spl+p 130gr BHP

Ideally I would want to stop the threat with the least amount of shooting possible. I dont think someone is going to walk off a 12ga slug or 00buck to the torso very easily unless they are wearing some type of armor.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 04-18-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
-hanko Quote: BB shot is designed to kill birds...imagine that.

Also works for coyotes at 30-40 yards. I imagine a 12 GA load of .177" pellets at 15 or 20 feet would do a number on a person.
Have you seen the video of the school shooter in a library who point blank blasts a girl in the face with 12ga birdshot? Hardly did anything to her...

I keep my 870 with 8 rounds of hornady 00 buck, loaded on safe. 6 rounds of slugbugs as backups in the side saddle and a surefire scout light. I don't want to rack my shotgun during a bump in the night and let the perp know I have a gun. I prefer the element of surprise. When I move back out of state I'm getting a can and my 10.3" ar with 77gr otm will become the primary home defense weapon.
Old 04-18-2018, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Why do so many people think about if a perp hears or doesnt hear them racking their shotgun? If I ever have to pick up my shotgun to possibly shoot somebody in my home, the last thing Im going to be thinking about is intimidating them with the sound of me racking the action. I will be more focused on putting as many holes in them as it takes to render them harmless.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 04-18-2018, 1:45 PM

300 BLK subs in an SBR with a can. Use a tool designed for the job at hand.
Old 04-18-2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrangeRat View Post
300 BLK subs in an SBR with a can. Use a tool designed for the job at hand.
In a free state that would be my goto as well. Pin the can for a tax rebate.
Old 04-18-2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Why do so many people think about if a perp hears or doesnt hear them racking their shotgun? If I ever have to pick up my shotgun to possibly shoot somebody in my home, the last thing Im going to be thinking about is intimidating them with the sound of me racking the action. I will be more focused on putting as many holes in them as it takes to render them harmless.
Quite a few LEO types have said over the years that the sound of them racking their pump action had a positive effect on criminal's actions
Old 04-18-2018, 2:48 PM

Glock 19 with rail mounted light in a small biometric bedside safe, loaded with 11 rounds and two spare 10 round mags. Larger safe nearby with a Remington 870 express tactical chock full of 00 buck.
Old 04-18-2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Think of it from the bad guys perspective. I’d argue that the vast majority of break ins are done by someone that is not looking for a confrontation. They either think no one is home, or they think someone might be home and they’re trying to tiptoe downstairs and steal things without waking up the homeowner. The second that sort of bad guy hears the unmistakable sound of a shotgun being racked in an otherwise quiet house, they’re gonna shat their pants and run.

As much as we would all like to put holes in some azzhole felon that breaks into our homes, our lives will be a lot easier from a legal, financial and retaliation perspective if We can scare them off with a simple pump of a shotgun before they even see us

Last edited by boopiejones; 04-18-2018 at 2:55 PM..
Old 04-18-2018, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03fatboy View Post
Sleep naked. Come at me Bro!
Rem 12 gauge. The kicker is the sachel of ammo hanging on the wall. I figure I'll go after the BG by tailoring the ammo choice. "00" & SLUG.
Old 04-19-2018, 1:47 AM

Manuf: Louisville ... Model: Slugger ... barrel length: 32"
Old 04-19-2018, 3:46 AM

... Takes care of most problems.
Old 04-19-2018, 4:29 AM
Veteran Member

Dial 1+911
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 04-19-2018, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-lee View Post
Have you seen the video of the school shooter in a library who point blank blasts a girl in the face with 12ga birdshot? Hardly did anything to her...

I keep my 870 with 8 rounds of hornady 00 buck, loaded on safe. 6 rounds of slugbugs as backups in the side saddle and a surefire scout light. I don't want to rack my shotgun during a bump in the night and let the perp know I have a gun. I prefer the element of surprise. When I move back out of state I'm getting a can and my 10.3" ar with 77gr otm will become the primary home defense weapon.

No, I have not seen the video of a person being shot point blank with a shotgun and birdshot in the face and have it do "hardly anything." Got a link? Not that I want to see it but I doubt it and wonder what size birdshot, as that could be anything from #12 shot to BB. Since BB shot will kill a yote at some distance, I have a hard time believing someone could be shot in the face at point blank range with "hardly anything" happening. I prefer 27 to 34 pellets of #4 buck, only slightly smaller than the 9 or 12 pellets of OO. To each his own.

I have shot people before and have no desire to do so again, nor do I want a bloody mess to clean up inside my house or the resultant legal issues. I will rack my shotgun or the slide on my pistol and hope the bad guy decides to flee. If not, then I will do what is needed.
Old 04-19-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Citation badly needed.

I know of a case first hand where a teenage bird hunter put down a 100 pound mountain lion with a single shot of 12ga birdshot to the lions head, and that was not at point blank range, although it was pretty close, about 20 yds.

He was using a bird gun with a choked barrel, and that's all he had.
Old 04-19-2018, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
In this state, the criminals will win if you shoot them for invading your home and you will not be justified by using a gun to protect your family in a life or death situation. The good guys loose in this state.

Why not use a Sig MCX ASP? Have 3 mags to unload on any intruder and be real quiet about it. 30 rounds of steel pellets at 700fps will put an intruder down.

Just an alternative choice.
LOL! Pellet gun for home defense...

Is that you Gavin??
Old 04-19-2018, 8:58 AM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I'll add myself to the list of parties interested. Citation please????
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
Its always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people dont behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Seattle Pacific University Shooting

https://youtu.be/WfGBiib9qBg
Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM
小さな女性

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power! View Post
Seattle Pacific University Shooting

https://youtu.be/WfGBiib9qBg
To my eyes he practically missed her and it wasn't point blank. You can see the wad to the right. Also there was essentially no recoil. It doesn't say what type of load.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
Its always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people dont behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 AM

If I take a HD handgun out of safe before bedtime...anything with night sights.. if not, whatever CCW I have on me will do... I've got a early warning Labrador Retriever...although a 870 would be the go to choice in the what's most effective department IMHO ..

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 AM

http://www.king5.com/article/news/lo.../281-244056933

It does not say what type of shotgun load, but it says she was hit in her upper torso.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 AM
小さな女性

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power! View Post
http://www.king5.com/article/news/lo.../281-244056933

It does not say what type of shotgun load, but it says she was hit in her upper torso.
I would bet it's not a standard load. If I can turn a clay to dust at 35 yards with 8 shot 1oz loads using a modified choke, I would definitely put a hole in her from that distance in the video. It looks like he brushed her. Not a bullseye hit.
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

If Alarm fails ---> if Dogs fail ---> Sig P226 .40.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 04-19-2018, 9:18 PM

Your setup is good but recommend you add a couple of surefire flashlights next to the pistol, and possible mounted to the pistol. I would keep the shotgun and ADD the pistol caliber rifle for your wife to retrieve after she learns to use it. I've got a Beretta 92FS with 3 mags, Smith & Wesson M66 with a dozen speedloaders for wifey, several flashlights, and a Winchester 1300 Defender 12 Guage Pump.
Old 04-19-2018, 9:24 PM

KIDS: I learned from a friend that was a Riverside County Sheriff the following technic: Tell your kids to not touch guns alone, but to come get you anytime they want to see a gun. Teaches them to respect firearms, and likeraly makes it boring for them, and takes the curiosity away from it.
Old 04-19-2018, 9:51 PM

My children and grandchildren learn never to touch a gun that does not belong to them. they watch me repair weapons and they learn guns are not all that great or mysterious. As for my bed i keep one British SAS daggers and a Bowie knife. They will hurt a lot worse than a gun and a trained man can bring a knife to a close quarter gun fight and win. First i have an alarm system, secondly i have traps in the house that someone won't see when the lights are out, and third are the daggers. Nothing worse than bending over your victim and getting fourteen inches or thereabouts of nasty narrow double edged metal right through the lungs and heart. and you never have to get out of bed except to push him off you. I do not depend on late arriving cops who most of the time are chicken sh-- when it comes to defending my family and my home. Oh did i mention those knives like most good knives will go through a vest that stops bullets unless they strike a steel plate and are deflected to other organs.

Last edited by big red; 04-19-2018 at 9:54 PM..