Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Default How do I hunt and plink in the same day?

So I hunt a semi private ranch in the condor zone that also has a shooting area. Ideally I hunt coyotes and squirrels in the morning and then head over to the shooting area for some plinking. I would have lead free for hunting and regular ammo for plinking. There is no where secure to stash the plinking guns and ammo and it’s too far to drive twice in a day. How can I legally do both very reasonable activities without violating the copper ammo laws? Using copper ammo is too cost prohibitive for plinking.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 04-16-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 PM

I think it's all going to depend on the ranger that asks to see your license and then asks what you're doing, and if ticketed, the attitude of the judge that will hear your case.

What *I* would do is send the local Fish & Game office an e-mail with your question and then keep a copy of the reply note with you.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

At the discretion of warden. Some only care what ammo is in your possession while in field hunting and some don't even want non lead in the vehicle. If plinking then ammo should make no difference unless you have game taken that day then li is a very grey area.
Old 04-16-2018, 2:34 PM

You might do a cell phone video documenting a good faith attempt to comply with the law.

Narration might go "this is my lead, i'm locking it in my car since i'm going hunting".....should you get cited.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 04-16-2018, 2:49 PM

I know just as much as you, OP. I'd call/email.

If I were hunting bear with a 30-06 and plinking at targets with a .22lr I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using the same .22lr for plinking as shooting squirrels then... Sucky situation.

I would expect you could argue the case successfully but that definitely doesn't mean you won't get written up and go through the hassle. Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-16-2018, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, email has been sent. I understand the theory (though disagree) behind this but it’s getting ridiculous. Hopefully whoever replies has some common sense. I’m hoping as long as the lead ammo stays in my truck I can hunt without lead ammo on my person.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 04-16-2018 at 3:10 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 6:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The way it's been for waterfowl in the past has been while in the field steel shot only in possession but lead could be kept in the vehicle.

I would guess it will stay the same with the new law but I don't know that for a fact.

It's good that you contacted them, I'll be interested in their reply.

Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-16-2018, 6:57 PM

Is that like the surfing and skiiing in the same day thing that I keep hearing about? Lol
Old 04-17-2018, 4:05 AM
Veteran Member

According to the two brightest ones on the forum all you'll be doing is scaring off all the animals you fool. They'll climb out of their holes and chime in. Guilt is a funny thing.
Old 04-17-2018, 7:27 AM

What are the odds that a warden shows up on your semi-private ranch to bother you about it? Those guys are stretched pretty darned thin as it is.
Old 04-17-2018, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
What are the odds that a warden shows up on your semi-private ranch to bother you about it? Those guys are stretched pretty darned thin as it is.
I am a fish and game magnet, lol. Not seriously concerned, but I like to be legal and Iím sure that issue is going to impact someone here eventually.
Old 04-18-2018, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsprig View Post
The way it's been for waterfowl in the past has been while in the field steel shot only in possession but lead could be kept in the vehicle..
^^^^This is how it was explained to me by a warden when I asked about hunting ducks with steel in the morning and pheasants with lead, at a private club, in the afternoon.

To be extra careful, bring a lockable container. Lock the lead ammo in it and leave it in the vehicle while hunting. If you road hunt, leave the container in the trunk or bed of the pickup, out of your immediate control while you hunt from the vehicle. If you want to be really clear, put a note on the lock box that says "Target Ammo".
Old 04-18-2018, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfisher View Post
^^^^This is how it was explained to me by a warden when I asked about hunting ducks with steel in the morning and pheasants with lead, at a private club, in the afternoon.

To be extra careful, bring a lockable container. Lock the lead ammo in it and leave it in the vehicle while hunting. If you road hunt, leave the container in the trunk or bed of the pickup, out of your immediate control while you hunt from the vehicle. If you want to be really clear, put a note on the lock box that says "Target Ammo".
The lock box idea might work. Or take the bolts out of the lead guns and put cable locks in place. Itíd show you arenít set up to truck hunt. However, it still could be subjective and a bad mood warden could probably write you.
Old 04-18-2018, 8:13 AM

Hmm. This brings up another point. Not sure if it was discussed yet but what about a side arm? Ive hunted (non condor range) with non lead 30.06 to get ready. Do I need to change to non lead ammo in my .44mag while hunting? Me thinks so.