Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-16-2018, 1:36 PM

Question Accuracy between SW 41 and Ruger M2 GTM ?

The comparison on the accuracy only, not the gun price nor value nor reliability nor ......

For these two pistols:
(1) Smith and Wesson Model 41, 7" barrel.
(2) Ruger Mark II Government Target Model, 6+" barrel.
Just for accuracy shooting only nothing else, which one is more accurate and how many percent more accuracy ?

And welcome to somebody throw in some scoops on SW M41 5" barrel, Ruger Marl IV Target and Hunter model.
Old 04-16-2018, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

My S&W Model 41 is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. With that said, I tend to shoot my Buckmark more because it's more reliable. The chamber on the M41 is so tight, that any out of spec round has a failure to extract. Mine runs the best with Wolf Match ammo.

Old 04-16-2018, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

I've owned both (actually several of both) I can tell you the M41 will outshoot any stock Ruger all day long. Now there's nothing wrong with the Rugers, there an awesome gun...But stock out of the box, they don't compare. That said, in the field I'd rather have a Ruger on my hip then any other 22 auto.
Old 04-16-2018, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I havenít owned a Ruger anything since the 70s. Iím pretty sure a M41 will
still outshoot any Ruger then or now.

The election of Donald Trump has caused California
to go ďFULL STUPID ď
Old 04-16-2018, 3:53 PM

Model 41 all the way. 7" w/ irons, 5" w/ red dot.
Although not easy to find nowadays, pick up a spare barrel so your covered w/ both.
That's what I did, because my older 7" M41 was not factory D&T'd.

....... OTOH, if you have a 1911, you could opt for a Marvel Unit One conversion kit. No FFL required.

sw3_zps37459a46.jpg

Last edited by nikki#2; 04-16-2018 at 3:58 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 4:22 PM

M-41
Old 04-16-2018, 5:31 PM

S&W Model 41, the older the better. To add another name to the mix, High Standard. Supermatics and Victors can play with the S&W. Ruger's are good pistols, but in stock form will not be in the same league unless you get the odd one that is. Most are not.
Old 04-16-2018, 9:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki#2 View Post
Model 41 all the way. 7" w/ irons, 5" w/ red dot.
Although not easy to find nowadays, pick up a spare barrel so your covered w/ both.
That's what I did, because my older 7" M41 was not factory D&T'd.

....... OTOH, if you have a 1911, you could opt for a Marvel Unit One conversion kit. No FFL required.
I tripped over a Fred Kart .22 conversion mounted on a Colt 1911...it shoots like a little laser.

On topic, my M41 does outshoot my Ruger MIII Target model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrjd View Post
S&W Model 41, the older the better. To add another name to the mix, High Standard. Supermatics and Victors can play with the S&W. Ruger's are good pistols, but in stock form will not be in the same league unless you get the odd one that is. Most are not.
No disagreement on the High Standards.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 04-18-2018 at 4:04 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 2:02 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I've always wanted one of the 10" MKIIs. I'd probably buy one of them over a 41, even if not as accurate.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

The S&W is 3.742% more accurate.

Seriously, I've never heard anyone ask about accuracy as a percentage.
Old 04-18-2018, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Own both. I can shoot my 41 more accurately than the Ruger. Might just be me. Difference is not huge.
Old 04-19-2018, 4:58 AM

I have been shooting a S&W M46 and a Ruger MKII in Bullseye Competition.

I shoot better scores with the M46

I believe it is due to a better trigger, less over travel, better hand placement than the Ruger MKII. My M46 recoils differently and that does not disturb my aim as much as the Ruger.

According to an article I read, Ruger did design the MKI to be used as a Bullseye pistol, and I do believe the Ruger MKI, MkII, and MKIII are inherently accurate pistols. I am regularly out shot by competitors who have added Volquartsen parts or have up graded their Ruger pistols with Volquartsen uppers and bolts. Not that I think that is making the difference.

In terms of accuracy, I believe both pistols are capable of similar accuracy if shot with their favorite ammunition. This is important, you have to test a rimfire with different ammunition to find the brand that shoots best, and for top flight accuracy, it depends on the ammunition lot. Small bore prone shooters often have their rifles lot tested. I am of the opinion that the best machine rest groups with either pistol will be well inside the hold of any human.

There are examples of tight chambers on M41's, that can be cleaned up with a reamer. Ruger factory pistols tend to have larger chambers, because the average shooter is shooting the cheapest ammunition around. Both of these pistols have outstanding, durable, magazines. That is critically important, and the fact you can buy them. Try finding High Standard magazines. That was a popular Bullseye pistol, out of production, parts are very expensive.

I do prefer the M41/M46 for clean up. The M41 is so simple, pull the slide back, pull down on the trigger guard, the top comes off. It is far easy to disassemble and reassemble the barrel, chamber, slide, frame.

Ruger MKI through MKIII is not intuitive. For example, which way do you drive the barrel off the under barrel lug? You have to remember because the lug is under the barrel and is blind. Getting the hammer strut to align with the mainspring is blind, and usually takes several trail and error attempts to get the mainspring compressed and closed. With my MKII, I am often having to find a pick, because the hammer strut has gotten under a frame pin, and I have to fish that out. It is over complicated with the MKIII, because I have to pull the trigger several times, to get the hammer strut to realign, and with the MKIII, you have to have the magazine in the gun to because there is a magazine safety.

In terms of reliability, there are examples of both pistols on the firing line that have been used for decades in Bullseye Competition. Keep them clean and oiled, it will take tens of thousands of rounds, before anything goes wrong.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:56 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I've always wanted one of the 10" MKIIs. I'd probably buy one of them over a 41, even if not as accurate.
Figures. I just stumbled upon and bought a 41 made in 1978.

Next time I make it to the range, I'll do some side by side off of bags comparisons with a couple different ammos from my 6 7/8" stainless MkII, 6" Paclite, and "new" S&W 41.

Last edited by Spyder; 05-03-2018 at 1:00 PM..