Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2017, 9:09 PM

Default Best range in central San Diego where I can bring my own ammo?

What’s the best option for a range close to downtown San Diego where they are ok if I bring some of my own ammo? I am not a huge fan of Discount Gun Mart but that’s where I’ve been going. Any other options I should consider that let me bring my own?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call DGM central..... I'm kind of not sure there is any range that doesn't allow you're bring you're own ammo.

I've kind of gotten over the inside ranges honestly....hit me up if you wanna hit SBR&G

I love Southbay Rod & gun, outside, porta potties and less nonsense.

I'm actually looking at Lemongrove R&G... matches and nightshooots, the fun stuff.

I just need a sponsor
Old 10-06-2017, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I wouldn't call DGM central..... I'm kind of not sure there is any range that doesn't allow you're bring you're own ammo.

I've kind of gotten over the inside ranges honestly....hit me up if you wanna hit SBR&G

I saw some Yelp reviews that The Gun Range in Kearny Mesa didn’t allow outside ammo. The person was complaining about the cost because of their apparent rule against outside ammo.

Fair point about DGMs location. I live downtown near PETCO Park and it’s the closest to me. I really like Poway Weapons and Gear but it’s a good 30-40 min drive for me.

And yeah, let’s go to SBR&G sometime. Although the other poster in this thread who said the road in will mess up my suspension definitely didn’t make it more appealing!
Old 10-06-2017, 7:37 AM

I shoot at TGR SD plenty of times and I'm sure you're allowed to bring your own ammo. I've always done it. They just don't allow certain types of ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
I saw some Yelp reviews that The Gun Range in Kearny Mesa didn’t allow outside ammo. The person was complaining about the cost because of their apparent rule against outside ammo.

Fair point about DGMs location. I live downtown near PETCO Park and it’s the closest to me. I really like Poway Weapons and Gear but it’s a good 30-40 min drive for me.

And yeah, let’s go to SBR&G sometime. Although the other poster in this thread who said the road in will mess up my suspension definitely didn’t make it more appealing!
Old 10-06-2017, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91SDLegend View Post
I shoot at TGR SD plenty of times and I'm sure you're allowed to bring your own ammo. I've always done it. They just don't allow certain types of ammo.
I go to TGR every tuesday ($5 range fee after 5pm!) and have never heard they don't allow you to bring your own ammo when you are shooting your own firearm.

Granted, like most ranges, you need to purchase their ammo if you plan on renting.

Also, I've seen people shoot wolf/tula steel cased bi-metal here.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:20 PM

I would suggest South Bay Rod and Gun club of which I am a member. http://sbrgc.org/

Pros
- 300 Yard Rifle range
- 100 Yard Range where you can shoot steel
- They don't care if you shoot steel penetrator ammo (M855) or steel cased ammo
- Really cool Range Officers who are very competent without needing to scream at people
- Shaded booths
- $100 dollar year membership

Cons
- Middle of nowhere (45 - 60) min drive southeast of san diego
- Dirt road leading to range is textured in a way that it will kill your suspension
- $25 dollars a range session (Just get the membership if you plan to come back)
- Not a lot of bathroom facilities (Bring baby wipes?)
- No place to get a drink(maybe I missed it?) bring your own water and food

My second go to range is the Gun Range San Diego https://www.thegunrangesandiego.com/

Pros
- New facility very clean and well ventilated
- Very nice and knowledgeable staff
- Several ROs always around

Cons
- Not that much parking
- Not that many lanes
- Long wait during peak hours
- Won't let you shoot steel ammo

Last edited by SkylineGTR06; 10-05-2017 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Added another Range
Old 10-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR06 View Post
I would suggest South Bay Rod and Gun club of which I am a member. http://sbrgc.org/

Pros
- 300 Yard Rifle range
- 100 Yard Range where you can shoot steel
- They don't care if you shoot steel penetrator ammo (M855) or steel cased ammo
- Really cool Range Officers who are very competent without needing to scream at people
- Shaded booths
- $100 dollar year membership

Cons
- Middle of nowhere (45 - 60) min drive southeast of san diego
- Dirt road leading to range is textured in a way that it will kill your suspension
- $25 dollars a range session (Just get the membership if you plan to come back)
- Not a lot of bathroom facilities (Bring baby wipes?)
- No place to get a drink(maybe I missed it?) bring your own water and food

My second go to range is the Gun Range San Diego https://www.thegunrangesandiego.com/

Pros
- New facility very clean and well ventilated
- Very nice and knowledgeable staff
- Several ROs always around

Cons
- Not that much parking
- Not that many lanes
- Long wait during peak hours
- Won't let you shoot steel ammo
Which range at SBRGC has steel - Range 3??

Do you have to bring your own steel, or is it theirs?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
Which range at SBRGC has steel - Range 3??

Do you have to bring your own steel, or is it theirs?
Yes Range 3 and you have to bring your own. Atleast you can though!
Old 10-07-2017, 6:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR06 View Post
Yes Range 3 and you have to bring your own. Atleast you can though!
Wow, this is super cool. Did not know this!
Old 10-06-2017, 4:50 PM

If you shoot handgun only....
The San Diego Police Revolver Club is just off the intersection of Home Av and Federal Blvd (just north east of 94 at Home Av), couldn't be any closer to downtown.
Hours are usually 09:00 to 15:00 everyday except Monday (I think).
Ammo might be checked by Rangemaster, along with your firearm. 25 yards only, outside (beautiful) and $10 to shoot as long as you want for the day. 38 positions, no fire stoppage due to a tunnel to reach your targets. Open to the public, no membership, unless you wanna. Saturday mornings has no more than a dozen usually shooting on the 38 position line. You will need to park on the street, no lot parking (not sure why). Eyes and ears are a must. Been going there since the mid 1970's and it's a great place to shoot!
See ya there!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
What’s the best option for a range close to downtown San Diego where they are ok if I bring some of my own ammo? I am not a huge fan of Discount Gun Mart but that’s where I’ve been going. Any other options I should consider that let me bring my own?

Thanks!
sounds to me like you want to bring your own ammo but shoot rental guns? no range here will allow that. if you rent a gun at a range, you can only shoot the ammo that they provide/sell.
Old 10-08-2017, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booogs View Post
sounds to me like you want to bring your own ammo but shoot rental guns? no range here will allow that. if you rent a gun at a range, you can only shoot the ammo that they provide/sell.

Nope. Never said that. Not sure where you got that idea.

I saw a Yelp review for a range I hadn’t been to that made it sound like they had restrictions on ammo, since the review didn’t specify whether they were renting or bringing their own guns. The location for that review is a new-ish spot and I couldn’t tell from their site if they had weird rules. There aren’t a lot of good indoor ranges close to me and I have been looking for a good local option.
Old 10-08-2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Nope. Never said that. Not sure where you got that idea.

I saw a Yelp review for a range I hadn’t been to that made it sound like they had restrictions on ammo, since the review didn’t specify whether they were renting or bringing their own guns. The location for that review is a new-ish spot and I couldn’t tell from their site if they had weird rules. There aren’t a lot of good indoor ranges close to me and I have been looking for a good local option.
was only speculating. when you said being able to shoot your own ammo, i figured it might be because you tried buying ammo outside of the range and they wouldn't let you shoot it or something and most ranges don't allow that if you're renting their firearms.
Old 10-08-2017, 3:50 PM

I go to The Gun Range San Diego and have always brought my own ammo to shoot in my own guns. They don't allow outside ammo in the rental guns.
Old 10-09-2017, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I go to The Gun Range San Diego and have always brought my own ammo to shoot in my own guns. They don't allow outside ammo in the rental guns.
The Gun Range only makes you shoot their ammo through rental guns. Mainly because at least that way they know what's going through them instead of people just shooting whatever brand through it or reloads that malfunction.

To be American is to disobey.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

TGR SD won't allow anything larger than a .308 or 30.06, I believe. DGM isn't too bad, but I haven't been there in a while. If time permits, SBRGC will always be the best.

That TGR SD's $5 fee after 5pm on Tuesdays, I did not know about that! I'll remember that.
Old 10-19-2017, 3:15 PM

Poway weapons and Gear. All Ammo is allowed. (Within CA law)

Kind of a far drive from downtown but the range is nice.
Old 10-20-2017, 8:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

And pricy. $24 per hour on the 100 yard lanes.
Old 10-20-2017, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
And pricy. $24 per hour on the 100 yard lanes.
Yes it is. I had a bad time there a year ago - went on a weekend as a non-member and ended up waiting about 1.5 hours to shoot on the 100yd lanes, because members jump the line.

Will not be going back.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:18 AM

As a Member of PWG, besides front of the line privileges and discounts- Total cost to shoot there as much as I want is ~ $25 a month. The hours and convenient location make it worth it for me. Otherwise- SBR&G is awesome.