Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-15-2012, 7:51 PM

Default 80% AR lowers...

So I was on the internet looking at all the wonderful guns I can’t afford because I’m just some 18 year old kid with no job and came across these 80% lowers, I was wondering if there are guides to drill out the rest of these lowers. My dad has a drill press so thats not going to be a problem. If anybody knows where to find these guides, or post a link to a step by step gallery or something to go from.

Also, if anybody is experienced with these and can drill the last 20% out for me, I’ll pay and just get it shipped back, or if anyone can do this and is in San Diego, preferably close to North county we can set something up.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 03-15-2012, 7:58 PM

do your research before you get yourself into trouble. You are the sole person whom must tackle the final 20% you cannot outsource this. The plans are out there as well. Read up on how to legally finalize your 80% first

https://g.co/fi/r/UC7661 Project Fi referral.
You/I get $20

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/167810
Active Junky Referral you get $10

WTS Springfield EMP & TRP
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post22678428
Old 03-15-2012, 8:13 PM
Banned

Get a Jig. Comes with measurements. 3-4 hours if your life well spent.

YOU must complete final 20%!
Old 03-15-2012, 8:18 PM

Location: 2 years of free living in nowhere Texas. life is good here.

I agree with what was said above. though I don't use a jig or a mill. I layout the pocket, drill out as much as I can, then use a router to finish it all off. but then I'm kinda crazy like that. the best advice I can give you if your wanting to get into home-building is to GET A JOB it's not as cheep as it first appears.
Old 03-17-2012, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
I agree with what was said above. though I don't use a jig or a mill. I layout the pocket, drill out as much as I can, then use a router to finish it all off. but then I'm kinda crazy like that. the best advice I can give you if your wanting to get into home-building is to GET A JOB it's not as cheep as it first appears.
Agree with this. Definitely not the cheapest way to get into AR pattern rifles or 10/22's or 1911's or anything else. There are plenty of stripped lowers at great prices these days.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Calguns Addict

You need a lot more then just a drill press. You will need a mill. Also its not cheap. The lowers run $80, then you will need a jig. Those run $100 and up. You also need end mills, drill bits, etc. You better going to one of the CNC build parties when they come up.

Edit - I stand corrected, you may not need a mill.

http://www.cncguns.com/projects/ar15...utorial-2.html

Last edited by Prc329; 03-16-2012 at 12:38 AM..
Old 03-17-2012, 8:25 AM

Where can I get in touch with one of these build parties that go to the CNC machines?? I would much rather do that than try to mill it out myself and end up with an $80 paper weight!!
Old 03-17-2012, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHate.Kalifornia View Post
Where can I get in touch with one of these build parties that go to the CNC machines?? I would much rather do that than try to mill it out myself and end up with an $80 paper weight!!
Go to the Gunsmithing and How To section of the forum, that will help you quite a bit. There is usually a thread or two floating around about where to get the milling done.

I am in the same boat you are in btw, can't purchase a lower from a store yet. One loophole you can do is have your father purchase it for you and then just hand it to you. It is 100% legal for father to son transfers, and there is no paperwork required for a long gun. Just buy the upper you want and have him put it onto with so that at the time of him giving it to you it is a long gun.

Or you can go the 80% rout and have a lot of fun doing it! haha
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

"High Speed, Low Drag..GoodToGo" RTT-CQB Man
Old 03-17-2012, 8:36 AM

I love DIY projects just like anyone else, but how does it make sense to buy all the jigs, templates and equipment to finish an 80% lower when you can get completed lowers for $50.00? I wait for PSA to put there AP machined lowers on sale for $49.95 and buy 2-3 at a time. All the work is done and ready to build. That's my $.02.
Old 03-17-2012, 9:12 AM

I WOULD just buy a stripped lower, in fact I was planning on it about a month ago.... even went in to buy one and they told me that because of this countries whacked out laws, I have to be 21 to buy the stripped lower!!! Just because it CAN be made into a pistol.
Old 03-17-2012, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHate.Kalifornia View Post
I WOULD just buy a stripped lower, in fact I was planning on it about a month ago.... even went in to buy one and they told me that because of this countries whacked out laws, I have to be 21 to buy the stripped lower!!! Just because it CAN be made into a pistol.
I believe to legally build an 80% you still have to be 21. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edit - read here

http://www.acmearms.com/80percentfaq.php#2
Old 03-17-2012, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheader View Post
I love DIY projects just like anyone else, but how does it make sense to buy all the jigs, templates and equipment to finish an 80% lower when you can get completed lowers for $50.00? I wait for PSA to put there AP machined lowers on sale for $49.95 and buy 2-3 at a time. All the work is done and ready to build. That's my $.02.
You don't fill out a 4473 when you pick up an 80% receiver, think about why that might make them attractive to some people.

Hey OP, Tactical Machining offers receiver kits with drilling jigs:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-...s/80-kits.html

I have used their drilling jig before, and highly recommend this company.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m16 View Post
You don't fill out a 4473 when you pick up an 80% receiver, think about why that might make them attractive to some people.

Hey OP, Tactical Machining offers receiver kits with drilling jigs:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-...s/80-kits.html

I have used their drilling jig before, and highly recommend this company.
OIC.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I think we all went down the road of stripped lower due to the reference of not being able to afford certain firearms and skipped right over the age issue. 80% lowers are more expensive to build, but they have advantages and they are fun to do.