Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 05-21-2020, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Default Will be hunting elk in Wyoming in the fall!

Well,

Both my nephew and myself will be hunting elk in Wyoming this fall. Cow/fawn tags, area 91-6, with an outfitter. I am going to take my 03AFORGERY, I will use a 168gr E-tip, well off to go develop some loads, good old.30-06! A2
Old 05-21-2020, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
Well,

Both my nephew and myself will be hunting elk in Wyoming this fall. Cow/fawn tags, area 91-6, with an outfitter. I am going to take my 03AFORGERY, I will use a 168gr E-tip, well off to go develop some loads, good old.30-06! A2
Damn, Great News.

If my Retirement stock recovers it would be a "good idea" to set up one hunt with one of my boys before I'm 70.
Old 05-21-2020, 1:41 PM

Here is hoping you score 100% ! Myself and five others headed to WYO for antelope and bambis in October.

Psalm 1
Old 05-21-2020, 5:56 PM

What does the cost of licencing, game processing, and meat delivery end up being?
Old 05-21-2020, 7:16 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

AAR, that's slightly less varied than asking how much buying a new car would cost.
Old 05-21-2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR View Post
What does the cost of licencing, game processing, and meat delivery end up being?
For most hunters that is never the issue, it's the luck of being successful drawing the tags you want. My situation is that I take all the equipment that I need to process my own, had a bad experience in Utah in the mid 80s, since then my brothers and I do our own processing and then weigh our meat before using a local freezer if we are staying longer. We actually have propane freezers on our trailers but they are pretty small. Licenses and tags vary from state to state and species you are applying for.
Old 05-21-2020, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Just got off the phone with the outfitter, 91-6 area, rugged country, horseback. $2400 for my nephew, and myself. Includes guide services, dressing, and taking to the butcher. It is a doe/calf hunt, so I am looking forward to elk tenderloin!
I’m going to take my Howa .308, it’s in a Weatherby Vanguard camouflaged stock. I will load 168gr E-tip, 2700fps. Going to Angeles in the morning to test some loads. A2
PS changed my mind no 30-06
Old 05-21-2020, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Here is hoping you score 100% ! Myself and five others headed to WYO for antelope and bambis in October.

Psalm 1
I hope yourself gets an antelope.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:21 AM

For # 4, AAR, LOTSA $$. Gas to get there, motels on the way there and back, wherever you stay while there, eats, dry ice and other items, or you can hunt locally like I used to do Cali D 5 & D 6 units in the Sierra Range. BUT if you really want to score instead of look and wish, go out of state where odds are much better. Wyoming, Colorado and other states worked out much better most of the time. And yes ysr racer, myself and others will do good this year. Thanks for your reply.

Psalm 1
Old 05-22-2020, 4:54 AM
Calguns Addict

People who come to hunt here from out of state are usually older guys who aren't hurting for cash - I don't begrudge them, it's actually a good part of our economy.

Not like there is a shortage of game. I am downright tired of looking at antelope and the deer are mostly things you try not to hit on the road. The hunting is easy, if you live here you can literally head out after work and fill your tag.

I am in Sheridan area. Looks like 91-6 is Wind River?

In a couple of weeks I will have residence status so things will get cheaper for me.

If you end up in my area give me a shout and i'll buy you a beer.

Last edited by Bainter1212; 05-22-2020 at 4:58 AM..
Old 05-22-2020, 5:20 AM

Good Luck. I will be hunting near the Casper area in late September with the Wounded Warriors and Alaskan moose in early September as well as Caribou mid August in Alaska.
Old 05-22-2020, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
People who come to hunt here from out of state are usually older guys who aren't hurting for cash - I don't begrudge them, it's actually a good part of our economy.

Not like there is a shortage of game. I am downright tired of looking at antelope and the deer are mostly things you try not to hit on the road. The hunting is easy, if you live here you can literally head out after work and fill your tag.

I am in Sheridan area. Looks like 91-6 is Wind River?

In a couple of weeks I will have residence status so things will get cheaper for me.

If you end up in my area give me a shout and i'll buy you a beer.

I live down in Saratoga. The antelope wait for you to drive by and try to race you. Thereís been a few close calls while driving to work because of them.

Hope OP fills his tag. Definitely a lot of good game out here.
Old 05-22-2020, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Just got off the phone with the outfitter, 91-6 area, rugged country, horseback. $2400 for my nephew, and myself. Includes guide services, dressing, and taking to the butcher. It is a doe/calf hunt, so I am looking forward to elk tenderloin!
Iím going to take my Howa .308, itís in a Weatherby Vanguard camouflaged stock. I will load 168gr E-tip, 2700fps. Going to Angeles in the morning to test some loads. A2

If for some reason you donít fill a tag. Come down south and I have some leftover elk tenderloins Iíll share.
Old 05-22-2020, 6:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Back to El Paso for us upland game, ducks and hogs.
Old 05-22-2020, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR View Post
..... a lot less than when my wife and daughter go to Disneyland for a week.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 05-22-2020, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
For # 4, AAR, LOTSA $$. Gas to get there, motels on the way there and back, wherever you stay while there, eats, dry ice and other items, or you can hunt locally like I used to do Cali D 5 & D 6 units in the Sierra Range. BUT if you really want to score instead of look and wish, go out of state where odds are much better. Wyoming, Colorado and other states worked out much better most of the time. And yes ysr racer, myself and others will do good this year. Thanks for your reply.

Psalm 1
What does the non-resident tag run?
Old 05-22-2020, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^^ It is easy enough to look it up on the computer yourself.

bigbossman---So true about the costs
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
bigbossman---So true about the costs
Yeah - and instead of a few photos and a $25 coffee mug that was made in China, at the end of the trip I have a freezer full of meat.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 05-23-2020, 2:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Iím going to take my Howa .308, itís in a Weatherby Vanguard camouflaged stock. I will load 168gr E-tip, 2700fps. Going to Angeles in the morning to test some loads. A2
i hope your not talking about the copper e-tips ? If it was me I would load up some nosler partitians or some other lead core bullet.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 05-23-2020, 4:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I hope yourself gets an antelope.
Yourself, me and others might get lucky!

Last edited by Bull Elk; 05-23-2020 at 4:05 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Good luck - anxious to see pics.
Old 05-23-2020, 4:23 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Congrats OP!

We're waiting for the Muley/lope draws. Got some good access near Lusk, fingers crossed.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.