Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-16-2019, 7:03 PM

Default Winchester Miroku 1892

What are the Pros and Cons of Winchester Miroku ?
Are they reliable ? How accurate are they ?
Old 02-16-2019, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Tagged

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-16-2019, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Pros:
It's not a US made Winchester.
Miroku makes a hell of a nice rifle.

Cons:
It's not a US made original Winchester.
Japanese are commies.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 02-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I can say that they make a beautiful rifle. I've cleaned and oiled mine but haven't had a chance to shoot it. If the rain let's up, I might take it out next week.

It's all new to me along with reloading. I think I'll take my daughter with me just to back me up.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 PM

If the rain keeps up, we can shoot our .45’s when I get back. Have a couple loads to try.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:46 AM

I own two of these rifles, both in .44 magnum, 20" barrel, "short rifle" configuration. One was bought brand new in 2014, one was traded for in 2014 or 2015 (got rid of a SP01 for it) because i liked the first one so much.

I also have 6 Marlin "Cowboy" models, all JM marked.

I do not shoot Cowboy action. I do not reload, either, but I had my neighbor reload me some max loads of H110/W296.

The ONLY ammo that has given me grief in these guns is Sellier and Bellot .44 mag. It was really rough feeding. Anything my neighbor made me reloads wise, fed like absolute butter. The gun itself is smooth as hell loading.

You will hear people ***** about the rebounding hammer, and the tang safety. I took a new shooter out, and she kept activating the tang safety by mistake but that never happened to me, so I chalked it up to a new shooter thing. The rebounding hammer NEVER gave me light strike issues with any ammo whatsoever.

I have put probably around 400 rounds of max load 44 mag through both of them collectively. This rifle HURTS like a ***** to shoot on the bench. Offhand, not so much. Crescent steel buttplate, narrow, 44 mag = ouch when sitting down.

I cannot speak to accuracy, as I only shoot close-up reactive targets. If you want this gun to be a tack driver, you will be disappointed. I have heard some that do not shoot well. I'd imagine 3" at 100 yards with a good shooter would be par for the course with a good shooter.

Mine have been 100% reliable, except for the S&B ammo, which to be fair didn't "jam" but did feed really rough and I had to force the rounds through.

The fit & finish of this gun is top notch.

You wanna talk cons? It's not as "authentic" as say, a Rossi 92, with parts. People claim the multi-piece firing pin could break. I've never had it happen myself.
But it's not a faithful replica, it has modern safety stuff. There is no "half cock" it just rebounds to the half cock position after firing, automatically. I do not, personally, see that as a downside.

Here is one of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win.jpg (93.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by mr00jimbo; 02-17-2019 at 8:20 AM..
Old 02-17-2019, 1:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Wholly cow !!! that gun has some gorgeous wood on it. I have the same model but the wood on mine isn't even close to that. That picture makes me want to send mine back.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-17-2019, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Default My room mate has a Model 71 Miroku

Beautiful gun.

Likely shoots as good as it looks.
Old 02-17-2019, 7:26 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
that gun has some gorgeous wood on it.
Miroku doesn't mess around, even with wood. That said, I'm not particularly pleased with the grain flow in the forend of the gun in double-aught jimbo's ginormous picture.

We'll have a good second look at your rifle and I'll betcha it's just as nice, albeit "nice" in a different way.

Quote:
ar15barrels

Pros:
It's not a US made Winchester.
Miroku makes a hell of a nice rifle.

Cons:
It's not a US made original Winchester.
Japanese are commies.

!

True that! and while it is indeed not a U.S.-made original, yes: Miroku is a maker of fine firearms.

If one has the time, the patience and the budget to secure an original U.S.-made Winchester 1892, then, have at it. If one simply wishes to own an excellent *example* of the original *design*, then one simply cannot go wrong with a new Winchester, which is made in Japan, by commies, at Miroku.
“The history of liberty is the history of the limitations placed on the government… Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.” – Woodrow Wilson

. Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-17-2019, 8:17 AM

Thank you for the compliments. Sorry for huge photo.
Old 02-17-2019, 8:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The only con I see is price. But I bought one anyway.
Old 02-17-2019, 8:46 AM

I think for the price you still get a great value. What comes close to the build quality for the price? It's a phenomenal gun.
Rossis can be slicked up easy for cowboy action though, and are more faithful to the original.
But the build quality is great on the Miroku.

People claim that the rebounding hammer can cause light strikes...I've never had one in several hundred rounds.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
!

True that! and while it is indeed not a U.S.-made original, yes: Miroku is a maker of fine firearms.

If one has the time, the patience and the budget to secure an original U.S.-made Winchester 1892, then, have at it. If one simply wishes to own an excellent *example* of the original *design*, then one simply cannot go wrong with a new Winchester, which is made in Japan, by commies, at Miroku.
I have a 1920's 1892 and I have a few Miroku Brownings.
All are very nice guns.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Attachment 779448

I know this, the new Winchesters are very well made guns. I almost bought a .375 Big Bore at the last gun show I had my pick of 2 that were unfired but my 38-55 94 is a pretty good replacement to the BB. At about 1/2 the price maybe if they come back around at the next show I will pick one of them up just for grins. The wood on your left is the delux and the right is standard on the 94's by Maruko.

Last edited by elk hunter; 03-20-2019 at 6:36 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

One site for hot loads is Paco Kelly. the Win 92 and Rossi 92 being the strongest guns, even 45/70 hot (so he says). I have used the 300 grain Hornady XTP reloading manual loads (Rossi 92) which are Blackhawk revolver approved strong, but not quite up to Paco's hottest.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm
Old 02-17-2019, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
One site for hot loads is Paco Kelly. the Win 92 and Rossi 92 being the strongest guns, even 45/70 hot (so he says). I have used the 300 grain Hornady XTP reloading manual loads (Rossi 92) which are Blackhawk revolver approved strong, but not quite up to Paco's hottest.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm
Rossi used to make a 454 Casull (they might still make it someday) and had a small run of 480 Ruger in their R92 guns. I like how they had the loading gate and tube loading options. I wish more company's would offer that.

That's a good read. Thanks for the link.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-17-2019, 5:55 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
ar15barrels

I have a 1920's 1892 and I have a few Miroku Brownings.
All are very nice guns.

You have many customers. When I brought out my stainless 16" Marlin '94 for you to examine the bore, you showed me that Winchester.

I'm through fettlin' with the action and the bore on this SBL, and after this next work assignment I'll contact you again to make an appointment to reposition it's front sight. Thanks again for all of your help, Randall.

“The history of liberty is the history of the limitations placed on the government… Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.” – Woodrow Wilson

. Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-18-2019, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Here's a pic of my new production 45 colt Winchester model 92 short rifle. I haven't shot this one yet. I'm a big fan of the short rifles. I own a few carbines but I just like the look of the short rifle.

my small Winchester family. The 92 is the only Miroku

Happiness is a warm gun

Last edited by golfish; 02-18-2019 at 11:08 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 9:56 AM

I have one in .44 Magnum and my experience with it mirrors that of mr00jimbo (post #6).

Forget sub-minute groups at 100 yards; ain't gonna happen with this rifle. But (like someone else said here once) it'll put down a white tail at fifty yards like it was Thor's hammer.
Old 02-19-2019, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I finally had a chance to shoot the new Winchester today. As expected, it was a fun as hec. I have all my fingers and no more damage to my face so my new hobby (handloading) was a success.

Now the bad. I'm sending this one back to Winchester. The forearm had a very slight rattle, after 60 rounds it's not so slight. If it was a Rossi or Marlin I'd probably try to fix it myself, there's just too many horror stories about those two. I'm trusting Olin/Winchester on this one.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-19-2019, 9:20 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Sounds like a good decision to me. Glad you had a good time today... while I was at work.

When Tom gets back from his exotic Oriental travels, we. will. convene. once again.

MLC, baby!

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-20-2019, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sounds like a good decision to me. Glad you had a good time today... while I was at work.

When Tom gets back from his exotic Oriental travels, we. will. convene. once again.

MLC, baby!
Rifle is on it's way back, let's hope Browning does a better job than Winchester. I'm guessing Browning does repair and servics for both.

It was such a nice day, until a small gust of wind blew my load data tags away

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-20-2019, 6:25 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Clear packing tape right over those things.

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-21-2019, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Japanese are commies.
Japan has never been a communist country. Monarchist, yes, and feudal prior to that, but not communist. Pretty similar to most of Western Europe in terms of government.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

I believe our esteemed colleague ar15b made the quoted comment with tongue-in-cheek. They're certainly not a democratic republic, and therein lies the gist of his humor.

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-21-2019, 1:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I believe our esteemed colleague ar15b made the quoted comment with tongue-in-cheek. They're certainly not a democratic republic, and therein lies the gist of his humor.
Anyone that 'merica has fought a world war against is commies.
Makes no difference if they change later.
Once a commie, always a commie.
Because 'merica.

Old 02-23-2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Anyone that 'merica has fought a world war against is commies.
Makes no difference if they change later.
Once a commie, always a commie.
Because 'merica.
LOL, your 8th grade History teacher just sighed heavily.
Old 02-27-2019, 4:48 PM

Mark have you heard anything about your '92 yet? I'm getting a little antsy to get my butt back to the States and shoot! THE 4th is right around the corner. MLC

Last edited by pennstater; 02-27-2019 at 5:11 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Mark have you heard anything about your '92 yet? I'm getting a little antsy to get my butt back to the States and shoot! THE 4th is right around the corner. MLC
Hey Tom, it took a week for the gun to get there. They only paid for rowboat shipping.
They sent me a number and password to check the progress. So far there is no progress.

See ya soon

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 02-27-2019, 7:10 PM

Roger that. Got your PM. I'll be re-joining the MLC shortly! Oh look; a lovely Filipina[wife], bringing me another San Miguel. Ahh!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Mark have you heard anything about your '92 yet?
I just recieved an estimate date when my rifle will be finished, 06/03/19. Only 3 months.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 03-01-2019, 5:31 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

That wait time would have had me curled up in the corner, and was one reason I didn’t send my Marlin back to be m.***.aged by the monkeys on their factory floor.

Dagnabbit! I had hoped to see it Monday when we go shootin!

. 1A - 2A = -1A