Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-19-2017, 5:13 PM
Banned

Default Just purchased a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel.

Folks,

Went to American GunWorks in Glendale and purchased a CZ 527 in Grendel. I liked the looks and the fact it is walnut and steel. It has 24 inch barrel, 5 shot detachable steel mag. I am going to use it for testing out my reloads for my AR rifles, and the occasional coyote hunt. It is coming from a distributor in Pennsylvania, I figure about a week to 10 days to get here. Then California moronic 10 day wait. A2
Old 09-19-2017, 7:02 PM

Nice. Grendel is usually a little anemic in bolt guns, but I'll bet you could work up some nice loads, especially single loading.
Old 09-19-2017, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll be interested to see your groups, both at 100 yards and stretching it's legs.

I'll bet the recoil will be very kid and female friendly.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-19-2017, 8:35 PM
Banned

Does anyone know if the 7.62x39 mag will work for the Grendel 527? Thx
Old 09-19-2017, 8:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
Probably not.
The shoulder diameter, body taper and shoulder length are different.
Get the proper mag.

CZ likes to make mags very specific to the cartridges.
For example they have a different mag for 204 compared to 223 while most other manufacturers use the same mags for both.
I learned this after buying a 223 mag for my 204 ruger model 527 and finding out that the 204 won't fit into the 223 marked mag.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-19-2017, 9:28 PM
Banned

Randall,

Thanks as always. A2
Old 09-20-2017, 6:47 AM
Veteran Member

24 inch ? niceeeeee . that should be fun . congratz
Old 09-20-2017, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Way jealous

You mentioned walnut. I thought it was stocked in something called aged Beech?

Not sure I like that aspect of it but, a grendel in any platform would be fun to play with.
Like to see it in a shorter barrel though.

Please, let us know how she shoots!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

Sutclife,

That is the Rustic model, I think it is beech. I found out from CZ that the 7.62x39 Mags work perfect. A2
Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a fun rifle and perfect for yotes. Pics and a range report ASAP!
Old 09-20-2017, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Didn't know they offered two models

Quote:
Sutclife,

That is the Rustic model, I think it is beech. I found out from CZ that the 7.62x39 Mags work perfect. A2

Other than the stock is there any appreciable difference between the two?
Old 09-20-2017, 4:47 PM

I guess I'm confused. OP bought a rifle, and is going to use it to work up handloads for another rifle?

All my handloads have been specific to a specific rifle.

Surely a CZ bolt action rifle will have difference in chamber, barrel etc as compared to and AR(or any other same cartridge rifle) that would affect overall pressures and accuracy?
Old 09-20-2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
This isn't really relevant to your CZ, but in a fit of misjudgement I had ASI build me a Grendel Mini-30. Which doesn't feed well from x39 or 6.8 Mini mags (.223 mags don't fit -30s ). Loading 3 rounds into a factory 5 round x39 mag is the only non custom mag that works at all. I fabbed up a single stack in a 20 round body that showed promise but I lost interest. So I am the proud owner of a very pricey, 24", MOA single shot 6.5 built on a Mini-30. At least it has a proper stock (ok,laminate) and not that Sage abortion.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 PM

I am glad you found something you like. I am not seeing the point of a 6.5 Grendel in a bolt action. I get it's the same caliber that you can run in an AR. That seems like a slim market. I would rather have a .243 or even 257 Roberts.

But I have to say that I like that CZ gives us options.

Does the 6.5 and 7.62x38 use the same bolt face? I would think it does or it's darn close
Old 09-22-2017, 3:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post
I guess I'm confused. OP bought a rifle, and is going to use it to work up handloads for another rifle?

All my handloads have been specific to a specific rifle.

Surely a CZ bolt action rifle will have difference in chamber, barrel etc as compared to and AR(or any other same cartridge rifle) that would affect overall pressures and accuracy?
Yep!
Old 09-22-2017, 7:52 AM
Banned

Aspen,

IMHO, the Grendel is a growing market. It provides great knock down power, long rang capabilities for shooting steel. All with low recoil and it is just a **** pile of fun to shoot. More and more manufacturers are jumping on board.
Call me a Grendel fanboy, ok. The combination of the case size, and the high BC of the 6.5 bullet. Winner, winner, winner! A2
Old 09-22-2017, 8:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
IMHO, the Grendel is a growing market. It provides great knock down power, long rang capabilities for shooting steel. All with low recoil and it is just a **** pile of fun to shoot. More and more manufacturers are jumping on board.
Call me a Grendel fanboy, ok. The combination of the case size, and the high BC of the 6.5 bullet. Winner, winner, winner! A2
Not in a bolt action.
There are a very limited number of bolt actions that will fit the 6.5 grenade and NOT fit the 6.5 Creedmoor.
6.5 Creedmoor is growing by leaps and bounds.
6.5 Grenade is very limited as there's no advantage to the smaller diameter case that requires a non-standard 0.440" boltface and will not stack properly in standard 308 sized magazines.
The smaller case dramatically limits the 6.5 Grenade's powder capacity and therefore the velocity and energy on target compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-22-2017, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Not in a bolt action.
There are a very limited number of bolt actions that will fit the 6.5 grenade and NOT fit the 6.5 Creedmoor.
6.5 Creedmoor is growing by leaps and bounds.
6.5 Grenade is very limited as there's no advantage to the smaller diameter case that requires a non-standard 0.440" boltface and will not stack properly in standard 308 sized magazines.
The smaller case dramatically limits the 6.5 Grenade's powder capacity and therefore the velocity and energy on target compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor.
It is a 6.5mm Grendel not a 6.5 Grenade
Old 09-22-2017, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
It is a 6.5mm Grendel not a 6.5 Grenade
Maybe to you it is.
To me, it's a 6.5 Grenade because I received a cease and decist letter from Alexander Arms on the use of the term you are using.
They never sent me another letter telling me it was ok to use that other term.
I don't want to get more nasty letters so I will keep using my 6.5 Grenade name for the 220 Russian case that has been necked up to 6.5 and blown out to a more improved shape.

6.5 Grenade is also a fitting name for the cartridge since they eat AR bolts for dinner.

Old 09-22-2017, 9:11 AM

Sounds like fun. I enjoy my 6.6 Grendel AR. You get a lot of gun for your money with CZ.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Maybe to you it is.
To me, it's a 6.5 Grenade because I received a cease and decist letter from Alexander Arms on the use of the term you are using.
They never sent me another letter telling me it was ok to use that other term.
I don't want to get more nasty letters so I will keep using my 6.5 Grenade name for the 220 Russian case that has been necked up to 6.5 and blown out to a more improved shape.

6.5 Grenade is also a fitting name for the cartridge since they eat AR bolts for dinner.
Alexander Arms relinquished the trademark “6.5 Grendel” so it can be adopted by SAAMI back in 2011.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...del-trademark/

Of course, you can still call it a Grenade, if it makes you happy.

Quote:
The 6.5 Grendel is an Official SAAMI Cartridge and Trademark is Relinquished.

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) has adopted the 6.5 Grendel as an official SAAMI cartridge. As a result of the cartridge’s official recognition, Alexander Arms will relinquish the trademark “6.5 Grendel”. Bill Alexander states: “One of the primary purposes of trademarking the name was to protect the integrity of the design. With the adoption of the 6.5 Grendel cartridge standard by SAAMI, the design is now protected, and any confusion in the marketplace as to the specification of the cartridge has been eliminated.”

SAAMI’s formal adoption of the design specifications for the cartridge has led Alexander Arms to announce that it will relinquish its federally-registered trademark and that “6.5 Grendel” to be the common commercial name for a cartridge that adheres to the specifications adopted by SAAMI.

Alexander Arms is proud that a cartridge of its design has received this important designation, and is pleased to take this important step in the continued market development of this breakthrough cartridge, which is perfectly matched to the AR-15 platform.

For additional information contact:
Alexander Arms
wayne@alexanderarms.com
540-639-8356

Last edited by MyOdessa; 09-22-2017 at 10:27 AM..
Old 09-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

Randall,

What ever works for you. We are all entitled to our thoughts. Take care A2
Old 09-24-2017, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Folks,

Went to American GunWorks in Glendale and purchased a CZ 527 in Grendel. I liked the looks and the fact it is walnut and steel. It has 24 inch barrel, 5 shot detachable steel mag. I am going to use it for testing out my reloads for my AR rifles, and the occasional coyote hunt. It is coming from a distributor in Pennsylvania, I figure about a week to 10 days to get here. Then California moronic 10 day wait. A2
Great decision on the purchase of the CZ 527 in 6.5G. The 527 is an amazingly well put together rifle, and the cartridge is a capable little package of fun. Don't be surprised if you find the little bolt rifle becoming your "go to" rifle when reaching into the safe for a trip to the field, or range.
I really like the improved mini Mauser receiver CZ produces with its rear stabilized bolt pull, and tough as nails Mauser extractor. I like the adjustability of the trigger, and the quality of the CZ barrels which in my experience are excellent.
I like the overall size of the 527, which is well suited for actually taking out in the field for hunting, plinking or target shooting, and the selection of small cartridges the rifle is chambered for are very practical even though some of them are largely ignored by other manufacturers. .22 Hornet, .17 hornet, .221 fireball, and now 6.5 grendel, all great small cartridges yet difficult to find chambered in other platforms. One can only wonder. In any case congrats on the purchase, and enjoy the heck out of it.

Last edited by bridgeport; 09-24-2017 at 7:33 AM..