Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Cantilever Mount

I have a 3x9 Leupold VX-1 on my AR right now but have to tilt my head alot to get the proper eye releif and want to fix it and think the best way would be with a cantilever mount. Can somebody recommend a decent brand, I'm not looking for top of the line mount, but I do want something good enough to hold a zero.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

did you try searching in this forum? that would have been fruitful, since this exact question comes up fairly often.

cantilevers are the way to go for flat-top ARs. there's a good comparison of many brands here; the burris PEPR is touted as the best under-$100 choice. above that, the options i've seen tend to be pretty nice -- i use an ADM that i like a lot.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 11-13-2012, 5:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Another +1 for the PEPR. I'm not a huge fan of QD mounts, once I mount something, I try not to move it. However when testing new sights and scopes that come in we need to bump things around quite a bit and the PEPR QD has worked pretty well at a very close return to zero. Like strogpoint said, for under $100 for the perm. or just over $100 for the qd, its a nice choice.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-a...al-mounts.html

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 11-13-2012, 5:47 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

another vote for PEPR...

I prefer QD over fixed for versatility to swap RDS with magnified scope quickly and easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
Old 11-26-2012, 2:35 PM

I know this post is a couple weeks old but I want to add something in case people look it up later.

It's just my opinion, and you can tell me to shove it, but I think you or anyone considering a cantilever mount should save a little more and go for a USA made QD model. If you have the time to be patient you can pick up a used LaRue or Bobro in the $150-170 range or an ADM for as little as $135 or so.

You might not think you need the QD now, but if you do in the future end up with another AR you will enjoy being able to swap optics between the two.

My favorite is the Bobro - amazing build quality, innovative design, and made in CA. What more can you ask for? I've seen a handful of them go recently for around $150 in slightly used condition on forums.
Old 11-26-2012, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by romadant View Post
I know this post is a couple weeks old but I want to add something in case people look it up later.

It's just my opinion, and you can tell me to shove it, but I think you or anyone considering a cantilever mount should save a little more and go for a USA made QD model. If you have the time to be patient you can pick up a used LaRue or Bobro in the $150-170 range or an ADM for as little as $135 or so.

You might not think you need the QD now, but if you do in the future end up with another AR you will enjoy being able to swap optics between the two.

My favorite is the Bobro - amazing build quality, innovative design, and made in CA. What more can you ask for? I've seen a handful of them go recently for around $150 in slightly used condition on forums.
QD might be great if you need to take off your scope when you case it but I just get a bigger case and don't worry about my fixed mount losing zero.

For US made, RRA makes a cantilever mount but it's maybe a bit on the high side, Dednutz makes the Freedom Reaper in several flavors and I just bought a PRI riser rail to use with some Warne low rings, I think that's about as solid as you can get. Those are all cheaper than the QD options you mention and not that much more than the PEPR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 11-26-2012, 8:24 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romadant View Post

I have LaRue, ARMS, Aimpoint and Burris TER, AR pivot ring and XTR - previously had ADM all for RDS and magnifiers... all QD and all good.

Burris PEPR for a rifle scope is a good choice for 99% of civilian users... not necessary to spend twice as much - but the more expensive ones are good units too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg