Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Default How do you deal with the stigma?

Hey guys. I have a secret love (a passion maybe even) for 22lrs. I can list the reasons why, but I think in this company I'd be wasting time; I'm pretty sure we 'get it'. But for some reason, it almost feels like a dirtly little secret, ya know? Case in point:

I recently went in to a local gun store and bought a bare bones 10/22. I plan to build it up to my tastes, tune it to drive nails and generally just turn it into one fine shooting machine. But I couldn't shake the sense of scorn from other customers in the shop. I'm a middle aged man of fairly large stature who yes, was in there buying a 10/22. No its not for my son, or my niece, or my grandma... its for me. Yes, it shoots a real caliber, no its not a toy and yes it is a real gun. I left the store almost feeling sheepish.

How do you guys get over the stigma? How do you measure your "little 22" against the bigger center fire calibers even just in your own head? Is it 'just a toy' to you too, or do you think of it differently?

Nothing is going to stop me from shooting and enjoying the hell out of my 22s. But I can't shake the feeling I'm somehow viewed as inferior for doing so. What about you, and how do you deal with it?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Why give a crap what other people think...?

If you like it - Shoot it.

Besides - My wife looks cute when she shoots hers...

Last edited by DannyInSoCal; 09-19-2012 at 6:44 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Yup. That's the plan

Just wondering if folks detect the same... misguided mockery? ...from others when they buy or bring out their 22s.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 AM

i get it from my cousin whenever i mention that i bought "another 22".

he'll ask what my gun-count is at currently (im constantly buying/selling), then he'll say "well, how many of those are 22's"....I tell him 5, and he'll act like those dont count

happens in this exact order constantly
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 AM

Basically yea... who cares...

Though when I am at the range I do like going from pop pop pop

to BLAM BLAM BLAM when I switch caliburs.

It's all about enjoying the sport. and .22 is more inexpensive which means more time on the line and accuracy cannot be blamed on that huge recoil.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Default seriously, fuggedabout it

I've got enough in various calibers. My 22 is still my favorite for practice and fun. I'm accurate and I can afford to shoot it all day long. Having more than one means I don't wear out one prematurely. Having more than three means more of the same. And when other people are making fun and then complaining of ammo prices, take your $20 and buy 500 rounds and tell them if they want to find you, you'll be on the range...
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM

my brother and i have a standing joke between us about some of the clientele and some of the employees seen and encountered in gun shops:

it seems like they're all ex-SEALs, ex-marines, ex-LE, ex-mercenaries, ex-rangers/paratroopers or ex-FBI/ICE/BP...and it seems like you always encounter the ones that will ask "What caliber XXXXXXX you got? oh...just a .44? i got a .45..."

there ain't nuthin' wrong with what yer doin...it's yer $$$$, yer choice...

the 10/22, along with the AR, happens to be, IMHO, a current day phenomenen that's not going away soon.

i'm probably "Older" than you...i personally don't give a tinkers d*** what others say about my choice in fireams...

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."

Last edited by donw; 09-19-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If they ever add a .22lr rifle or pistol to call of duty game, there will be more demand for .22lr guns out of people previously ignoring them.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

When I first got into firearms a few years ago, I thought the same thing. "A .22? Oh, please, might as well just shoot a kiddie BB-gun!"

Then I actually tried one. My mind changed very quickly.

Shortly thereafter, a 10/22 somehow followed me home. I affectionately call it, "The Assault .22" because, of course, it's "capable of accepting a High Capacity Clip"! This rifle is just plain fun to shoot, and it's tough to beat one for harvesting small game like rabbits and such. Ammo for it is dirt-cheap, too. I cannot think of a better rifle to use for practicing marksmanship fundamentals than a .22LR of some sort.

So, how do you deal with the "stigma"? Whoever doesn't like your choice of firearm is free to purchase a so-called "real gun" in a so-called "real caliber" for you with their money if they think it's so important. Anybody who opens their mouths at you like that, I suggest you consider mentioning that option to 'em. Oh, and they can buy your "real caliber" ammo for you, too. Until they do, just keep thinking of how much fun your .22 is to shoot, and how much easier on the wallet it is than their so-called "real guns".
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 09-19-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Hrmm.. ~525 rounds 22lr for <$20 vs. 100 rounds 9mm for ~$23 at walmart.

I can spend all day at Laguna Seca on the steel course and even play with the 300yd gong if I want. Or I can spend all day on the tin can range at Los Altos rapid firing.

Can't rapid fire the 9mm at any ranges nearby, and I'd be spending 5x as much on ammo.

Also, my wife likes 22's, so we go out together, and that's a huge plus for me. Even my mother said that our 22's were cute and she'd be willing to go sometime. So they seem fairly female-friendly which could be a good thing if you're trying to introduce a girlfriend to your hobbies.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

I have to admit, I felt a little weak when I was at the very busy counter picking up my Buckmark.22 I guess it's just a guy thing.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw View Post
my brother and i have a standing joke between us about some of the clientele and some of the employees seen and encountered in gun shops:

it seems like they're all ex-SEALs, ex-marines, ex-LE, ex-mercenaries, ex-rangers/paratroopers or ex-FBI/ICE/BP...and it seems like you always encounter the ones that will ask "What caliber XXXXXXX you got? oh...just a .44? i got a .45..."
Yeah, I hear ya. And the funniest part about that for those wannabe-macho types is that typically they mean 185-gr to 230-gr .45 ACP, a low-velocity, low-pressure round. I've found most ".44" shooters are typically shooting .44 Magnum, not .44 Special, and they're shooting at least 240gr projectiles and often 300-grainers, so these wannabe-ninjas even lose on the "oooh, my round's bigger/more powerful" count, too.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM

I happen to collect and shoot .22lr more than anything else. You'll get the look from the guys who think anything less than a .308 is childs play. When I go to the range or shoot with friends they're usually blasting away with their AR's and AK's and barely able to hit paper while I'm hitting the 1" shoot-n-c pasters with consecutive rounds from my .22's.

I enjoy giving them "the look" when we go up to change or check targets and they realize theirs looks like a bunch of birdshot all over the paper and i can cover mine with a quarter.

I learned to shoot on a .22 and those fundamentals transfer over to larger caliber guns. I'd rather be able to hit what I'm aiming at consecutively and accurately than just blast away with a larger round.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM

By the way, if you want to really talk to the guys who understand the love of .22's checkout rimfirecentral, it's a wealth of knowledge.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM

I let my groups do the talking. That usually shuts up the "he's only shooting a .22" crowd.

But I figure it's no ones business what I want to shoot.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM

I agree with dannyinsocal. Let them talk. They are all closset 22 lovers in my book. I would say more than half my friends that give me crap about my 10/22 end up asking if they can try it out. after they have gone through all there ammo/$$$ of course. I remind them of the trash talk while they have the time of there life with my lil 10/22...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

There is no stigma. I'm having a good time and improving my skills every time I bring out a .22 to shoot, whether it's a 10/22, a vintage Remington or Mossberg, or dedicated rimfire AR. And, best of all, I'm not draining my wallet to do it.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think you are being dramatic or paranoid. Everyone I know has at least 1 rifle and 1 handgun in .22lr. I don't know a single person that shoots well that doesn't shoot .22lr. However, if .22lr is the only thing you shoot, maybe some comments are justified.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I love .22's and I ride a scooter. I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. But I have a lot of cheap fun on both.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
I think you are being dramatic or paranoid.
Maybe. But that'd be a first for me in either case

Nah, nothing like that. Just some random musings based on some observations during lunch on hump day. Believe me, I'd rather be at the range shooting one of my 22s
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

I like to shoot anything that goes bang. That is all that matters to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

My Ruger 22/45 always goes to the pistol range with me. My buddies end up being broke/out of ammo sooner. I switch between the centerfire pistols and the rimfire. Helps my groups and counters any flinch I pick up. I do the same when I shoot rifles. A .22 is always along.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

What stigma?
Old 09-19-2012, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Stigma? Anyone that knocks the 22LR just doesn't get it, it's not even worth trying to explain to them. It's like a stage in life you either get it or not.

And anyone that doesn't have found memories of shooting a 22LR some time in their lives is sadly deprived imo. Some of my best memories are shooting 22LR with my grandfather.

Shooting for tiny groups or long distances with a 22LR is challenging and fun! (not to mention cheap)

People see my heavily modded Marlin 795 and say, Wow!
And if anyone ever did knock it I would have them shoot it...
Old 09-19-2012, 1:30 PM

Another plus is that DGM in Santee allows pistol calibur rilfes on thier pistol range so it saves me the gas driving out to the San Diego store.
Old 09-19-2012, 1:42 PM

People drooled over my MP5 22lr at the range the other day.
They watched and saw how much fun it was and the groupings that even my girlfriend was putting down and all wanted one

Old 09-19-2012, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Put 10 rounds in one hole and yell "That just cost me ten cents! I think I'll do it again."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.
Old 09-19-2012, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubot10 View Post
Put 10 rounds in one hole and yell "That just cost me ten cents! I think I'll do it again."
Where are you shopping for ammo? 10 rounds costs 30 cents minimum.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-19-2012, 2:31 PM

We shoot our 22's 99.9% of the time
Old 09-19-2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane View Post

We shoot our 22's 99.9% of the time
nice!

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 09-19-2012, 3:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't care what others think...

I have 22lrs for a reason...same as my bigger stuff.

mkane, those are some sweet looking rifles you got there.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 09-19-2012, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Stigma?

Screw what morons think. I know that .22lrs are tons of fun and my favorite guns to shoot. When some moron starts showing his machismo and stupidity by trying to tell me that I'm a wimp for shooting .22lrs, I just laugh it off. I know the moron is probably a new shooter who shoots to feel recoil and hear a loud noise instead of actually trying to hit what he is aiming at. In the end, I could not care less what the moron thinks of me but, if I have one of my 50BMGs around, I might F with him and let the smallest girl I can find shoot a few rounds from it. Then, I can explain to the moron that recoil and noise aren't any more macho than Hello Kitty.

When I take my .22lr shotgun out to try to break clays, I only get laughed at until I actually break a few. But, I'm not that good so, "a few" might take me 25 rounds to hit.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 09-19-2012 at 3:16 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

I was late to join the .22lr shooters, I sadly scorned a few in my ignorance. It isn't as fun as shooting big bore but I'm really into cost/benefit comparisons, and when a full magazine costs less than one cartridge, I have nothing to be ashamed of.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 09-19-2012, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmudave View Post
By the way, if you want to really talk to the guys who understand the love of .22's checkout rimfirecentral, it's a wealth of knowledge.
+1 for RFC!

I love my .22's! Of course a 10/22 (doesn't everyone have at least one?) and a Mk1 but also my Razor 80%'s...in 22LR and WMR. What a blast to shoot them all!

Stigma?! Not sure I feel any! Most shoot for the sheer love of shooting. Always a good time and compliments on the rifles.

Robert
Old 09-19-2012, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Where are you shopping for ammo? 10 rounds costs 30 cents minimum.
Really?

I pay 30 cents for a single round of bargain .45 ACP

But I'd be impressed and believe it at the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.
Old 09-19-2012, 6:22 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!
Default One in Jail.

Attachment 170246

Last edited by General; 07-13-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 6:30 PM

Thanks and a couple more.

Old 09-19-2012, 6:41 PM

Anybody can shoot 22 , It is very difficult to shoot one well . anybody who does not understand what i am getting at I could never explain it to .
Now i have to admit that I dont get the 10-22 craze, No matter what you do to it you still have a 10-22 .
Old 09-19-2012, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Yup. That's the plan

Just wondering if folks detect the same... misguided mockery? ...from others when they buy or bring out their 22s.
Nope, never!
Old 09-19-2012, 8:04 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Screw what they think. Next time some macho-man makes a comment about how a 22lr is an underpowered toy or similar, tell him that you are not sure of the power it has and ask him to volunteer to be your next target to verify its stopping power.

Being north of
70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.