Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-25-2018, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Those exercises will help her overall mobility, make he feel better, and reduce her risk of falling. However her past heart condition and cancer is mostly genetics. I really don't think she will make it to 2020 election.

Hope the senate holds at the midterms, or you wonít see a successful nomination.

At the rate sheís going, itís seems like she has more of a chance from being run over by a driverless Uber car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 9:20 AM

Sotomayor fell down and broke her left shoulder .. She seems injury prone recently.

She broke it on Monday , but was in court after too ..
Old 04-17-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Sotomayor fell down and broke her left shoulder .. She seems injury prone recently.

She broke it on Monday , but was in court after too ..
Diabetes since childhood puts Sotomayor right up there with RBG, Breyer, Kennedy, and Thomas in likelihood of "leaving the Court." Of those 5, 3 are hardcore Leftist/antis and 1, Kennedy, is a swing vote. Rumors are Kennedy will retire this summer and be replaced by a much younger pro-2nd A justice. That will leave 4 "ready to leave at any time," and of those 4, 3 are antis. (There's also a chance Thomas, a pro-2nd A justice, might leave to ensure Trump can replace him this session when we know he can pass a GOP held Senate.)

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 04-17-2018 at 5:00 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 9:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Modern medicine will keep those dinosaurs alive for decades more.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Modern medicine will keep those dinosaurs alive for decades more.
We can’t beat genetics. It’s pretty simple, don’t smoke, some drink, exercise semi-frequently, eat right, and the rest is determined by our genes for the most part.

Modern medicine can only do so much. If you have a faulty DNA repair mechanism in Cytotoxic T Cells because you carry an oncogene inherited by your parents, then you're probably going to get cancer.

We are okay at reacting to cancer (still have a long way to go), but changing someone's DNA to prevent cancer is something we just haven't figured out yet. I'm sure one day we will be able to do that, but for the current justices, you, or I, we aren't there yet.

Last edited by wireless; 04-17-2018 at 5:56 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think all bets are off re: how they'll vote on a given issue. Gorsuch's most recent vote is an example: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/u...ons-trump.html
Old 04-17-2018, 1:19 PM

It wasn't a surprise at all. Gorsuch voted just as Scalia would have. Read the article you linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I think all bets are off re: how they'll vote on a given issue. Gorsuch's most recent vote is an example: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/u...ons-trump.html
Old 04-18-2018, 12:16 AM

People mistakenly believe we have two more years for justices to retire. If we lose the senate this November, we may be facing a repeat of the Garland nomination. The senate stalls until (god forbid) Col Sanders inherits the iron throne and we have a new liberal replacement.

What are the odds that a nominee can be delayed 2 years or more?
Old 04-19-2018, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit31 View Post
It wasn't a surprise at all. Gorsuch voted just as Scalia would have. Read the article you linked.
Apparently it was a surprise to Trump: http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...mpression=true
Old 04-19-2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Apparently it was a surprise to Trump: http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...mpression=true

Does this build confidence in him picking an even more conservative next round?
Old 04-19-2018, 9:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4130 View Post
Does this build confidence in him picking an even more conservative next round?

As with most things Trump, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-19-2018, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenemae View Post
People mistakenly believe we have two more years for justices to retire. If we lose the senate this November, we may be facing a repeat of the Garland nomination. The senate stalls until (god forbid) Col Sanders inherits the iron throne and we have a new liberal replacement.

What are the odds that a nominee can be delayed 2 years or more?

We wonít lose the senate
Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
We wonít lose the senate
Yeah.... I just finished cross-referencing all the seats up for election against how states voted in 2016 and (with a caveat) it shouldn't even be close. Republicans should gain seats, but fall shy of 60. Here's to hoping for a few more conservative justices!
Old 04-20-2018, 1:09 AM
Veteran Member

Keeping a majority in the Senate is crucial. Which democratic seats we take are far more important for pro-2a legislation vs. the total number of GOP senators. The democrats in Montana, Dakotas, West Virginia, and Indiana vote pro-2a. We need to win seats in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, and other states that have strong state level pro-2a sentiment but anti-2a Senators. Missouri is a good place to pick up a pro-2a GOP member. The one up for re-election is an anti-2A Democrat. A lot has changed since 2012 and I donít see the people of Missouri voting her in again.

I think we will fall short 2-3 seats that weíd need to pick 60 reciprocity votes or anything Of that nature, although stranger things have happened. If you look past the liberal hysteria Trump is doing a pretty damn good job. North Korea, the economy, tax cuts, low unemployment, etc. 2018 will be very telling because if we have a repeat of 2016 the Democrats are really going to have to regroup and take a new approach. I think right now they believe their own bull**** and believe 2016 was a fluke.

Keeping a senate majority is the most important 2A aspect of the upcoming election. We must preserve Supreme Court precedent, but I also donít think we will see any pro-2A legislation until we get another good SCOTUS decision. If we do itíll take the political fight away from pro-2A blue and purple states, much like what happened with gay marriage and a handful of RINOS.
Old 04-29-2018, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

The NYTimes is in an all out panic at the prospect of Kennedy retiring and is trying to convince him not to, at least not until after the Nov elections and, presumably if the Dems make headway in the Senate, until after the new Senate takes office in Jan 2019.

If Kennedy doesn't resign in June/July, we may be hosed....

Here's the close of the article:

Quote:
We realize this isn’t an entirely fair request. Every 81-year-old, especially those who have devoted their lives to the service of their country, should have the freedom to retire without worrying that the nation’s future may hang in the balance. But this is the world we live in.

Mr. McConnell is probably correct that blocking President Barack Obama’s third Supreme Court pick, Merrick Garland, was his biggest success as a politician, and that the possibility of another conservative on the court was the single most important factor in “bringing Republicans home” during the 2016 election. Yet he may find this was a Faustian bargain. By stealing the seat for short-term political advantage, Mr. McConnell has inflicted institutional damage from which the court, and the Senate, may never fully recover.

It’s worth remembering that Mr. McConnell wouldn’t have been in a position to pull off such a harmful stunt if more people had turned up to vote in the 2014 midterm elections. As it was, 64 percent of eligible voters stayed home — the worst showing in more than 70 years. A higher turnout could well have preserved the Democrats’ Senate majority, meaning Judge Garland would now be Justice Garland, and your retirement would pose less of a danger to the legitimacy of the court.

Regardless, that’s not what happened. This is your court, Justice Kennedy. It is facing an institutional crisis, and it needs you.
More at:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/28/o...en-letter.html

Old 04-29-2018, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

I think GOP will keep the senate. Iím fairly confident about that unless the economy tanks or war breaks out.

Gorsuch clerked for Kennedy. Not only is he pro-2A but itís a nod to Kennedy that they will put in someone who is intelligent and stable. Hopefully Gorsuchís recent siding with the liberals gives Kennedy some peace of mind.
Old 04-29-2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
The NYTimes is in an all out panic
More at:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Editorial Board @ the New York Times
[Kennedy] should have the freedom to retire without worrying that the nationís future may hang in the balance. But this is the world we live in.
Those are some strong words. What, exactly, is the NYT worried a conservative supreme court might do to destroy the nation's future? The article gives some insights.... Starting highlighting Kennedy's exemplary "legacy"
Quote:
in 2015, granting same-sex couples the constitutional right to marry.
But not their right to carry? So... the NYT applauds inventing a right while desiring the destruction of a fundamental one (2A)
Quote:
Preserving the use of affirmative-action policies at public universities.
Encoding the protection of racial discrimination into law?
Quote:
Voting to strike down excessive sentences for juveniles
You mean the thing that caused Nicolas Cruz to slip through the cracks so that his record wouldn't "needlessly" be "blemished", thus allowing him to keep his weapons and kill kids in a florida school?
Quote:
forcing states to shrink their overcrowded prisons
By dumping thousands of criminals back onto the streets. I live in an upscale suburb and the fastest growing crime in my town is armed home invasion. I've had 6 members of my neighborhood hog-tied in their own homes in the same number of months. We live in terror.

So what do they think Kennedy did wrong?
Quote:
you signed on to an opinion ó a deeply misguided one, we believe ó that gutted the Voting Rights Act and allowed states across the country to make it harder for people, especially minorities, to vote
I suppose they'd prefer the california model where we remove all restrictions on registrations and allow illegals to vote (you only need a drivers license, which are now shoved at illegals)
Quote:
[Deciding] in favor of the Christian baker who doesnít want to make cakes for same-sex weddings.
They don't like freedom of association either. They want to force people to bend to their will. I'm sorry.... who, exactly, is threatening the future of this nation? Because by my count, it's people like the entire editorial board at the New York Times. Which leads me to my honest question: Are they legitimately evil? (no hyperbole)
Old 04-29-2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
The NYTimes is in an all out panic at the prospect of Kennedy retiring

More at:
Geez, they are in panic aren't they.
Old 04-29-2018, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The NYTimes is in an all out panic at the prospect of Kennedy retiring and is trying to convince him not to, at least not until after the Nov elections and, presumably if the Dems make headway in the Senate, until after the new Senate takes office in Jan 2019.

If Kennedy doesn't resign in June/July, we may be hosed....

Here's the close of the article:

More at:
I suspect the NYT may know something, but not quite to the level of being able to print as news, about Justice Kennedy's intent to remain or to retire. And they of course recall with advantages Senator McConnell's "Faustian" bargain - God knows Senator Reid never engaged in that sort of thing.

That the 2014 election results might have been changed to results better pleasing the NYT is nothing more than wishful thinking. Coulda, should, woulda gets them nowhere. What is real is this - of the 33 Senate seats up in 2018 about 23 are being defended by Democrats. That's a heck of a challenge.
Old 04-29-2018, 4:07 PM

Another interesting article on the topic, claiming that Justice Breyer is enticing Kennedy to serve one more term to re-hear gerrymandering cases...
Old 04-29-2018, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Meh...Kennedy wrote the 3rd opinion saying partisan gerrymandering is unconstitutional but no standard of review exists at the moment, therefore they shouldn't hear cases until that's established.

Does he really want to stick around to help create that standard of review somehow?
Old 04-30-2018, 8:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Roberts Court is an ineffective, cowardly group afraid to take on the huge case loads we have alredy built up for them.

Like back in the 1850's an equally ineffective court afraid to take on the legal challanges of the day led directly to the first civil war.
Old 04-30-2018, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Default SCOTUS Justice Sotomayor to undergo shoulder surgery following fall

Quote:
SCOTUS Justice Sotomayor to undergo shoulder surgery following fall

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will undergo shoulder surgery Tuesday morning for an injury to her left shoulder that she sustained after a fall at her home on April 16, the Supreme Court announced on Monday.

Sotomayor was on the bench hearing arguments after the fall, but tests later revealed that she suffered a "multipart displaced head splitting fracture of her proximal humerus" according to a statement released by Kathleen Arberg, the Court's Public Information Officer.

The justice will undergo a "reverse total shoulder replacement surgery,"
Arberg said.

<snip>

She is expected to fully recover her mobility and shoulder function, Arberg said.
More at: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/polit...der/index.html

Last edited by Paladin; 04-30-2018 at 2:17 PM..
Old 04-30-2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Meh...Kennedy wrote the 3rd opinion saying partisan gerrymandering is unconstitutional but no standard of review exists at the moment, therefore they shouldn't hear cases until that's established.

Does he really want to stick around to help create that standard of review somehow?
That's the point of the article, actually: that he would want to return to examine a standard of review and re-hear the cases that have come up thus far (and many more, presumably).
Old 05-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

It is, basically, a call to arms for Leftists to conquer the Court.

From HuffPo via Yahoo:

Quote:
Democrats Are In Denial About The Supreme Court

On issues from racial justice and reproductive freedom to money in politics, the U.S. Supreme Court has been a key impediment to progressive goals.

In President Barack Obamaís first term, the Supreme Court crippled his signature legislative achievement, the Affordable Care Act, allowing Republican governors to deny millions of people health care and thereby weakening the lawís health care exchanges. The court then accepted an entirely frivolous challenge to the law and came within one vote of striking it down on grounds that even many Republicans found absurd. The Supreme Court has made it harder for women to access contraception, ended voluntary desegregation programs and crushed state-level public financing laws.

Despite all this, Republicans are far more mobilized on the court than Democrats, something true among both the general public and activist elites. Despite his rank incompetence in every branch of government, Trump has managed to create an efficient pipeline of far-right judges to the federal bench, filing it four times faster than Obama through his first year. However, even as the court has become a reactionary institution, my analysis of Cooperative Congressional Election Studies reveals a disturbing pattern: Democrats mostly have positive views of the court and see it as a centrist institution rather than one that explicitly seeks to advance the Republican agenda.
More at:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats...130126986.html

Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswrite View Post
That's the point of the article, actually: that he would want to return to examine a standard of review and re-hear the cases that have come up thus far (and many more, presumably).
Iím well aware of what the article said. My point is this something Kennedy is passionate about? Is he going to put off retirement for that? ďMeh...Ē
Old 05-05-2018, 1:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jeez some of these Justices have more lives than Mr. Burns. The Dems will probably build a robot out of Sotomayor with her brain and face the only recognizable features, a “RoboJudge” if you will

Old 05-05-2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Iím well aware of what the article said. My point is this something Kennedy is passionate about? Is he going to put off retirement for that? ďMeh...Ē
You have a right to believe that. Reportedly, gerrymandering is a pet peeve of his. Whether and by how much that translates to "passion" only he can say. I'm praying your "meh" assessment holds.
Old 05-05-2018, 9:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Default BloombergQuint: "High Court Balance at Stake as Kennedy Retirement Talk Heats Up"

Quote:
<snip>

For the second straight year, Kennedy, 81, is the focus of retirement speculation as the court approaches the late-June end of its term. A retirement by the court’s swing justice would give President Donald Trump his second Supreme Court vacancy to fill before Republicans’ Senate majority goes on the November election ballot. It also would drop a political bomb into what is already one of the country’s most divisive eras since the Civil War.

Though he has given no public indication he plans to depart, advocates on both sides are wondering whether Kennedy’s age and Republican roots could lead him to do so. It could trigger a rancorous confirmation battle and open the court to a sharp -- and probably enduring -- turn to the right.

A Trump-appointed successor could create the five-member majority that legal conservatives have envisioned for decades. The reconstituted court could overturn longstanding precedents, including the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion-rights ruling. How far it goes would probably depend on Chief Justice John Roberts, who sometimes tempers his conservative leanings to try to protect the court’s institutional standing.

Whether Kennedy will retire is something known to, at most, a small handful of people. Former law clerks say they can only speculate, questioning even whether the justice himself knows what he will do.

What faint signals Kennedy has sent point toward at least another year on the bench. He has hired his law clerks for the Supreme Court’s next term and, as usual, will spent July teaching a law school course in Salzburg, Austria. From the bench, he has been as engaged as ever.

<snip>

A Trump nomination to fill the Kennedy seat could lead to a confirmation fight as rancorous as the one over Bork. But unlike with Bork, Republicans control the Senate 51-49 and could confirm a nominee without any Democratic support. Democrats are trying to take control of the Senate in November, though they face a tough fight.

<snip>

Supreme Court justices typically reveal retirement plans as the court nears the end of its term. The most recent justice to step down, John Paul Stevens, made his announcement on April 9, 2010. The previous year, Justice David Souter revealed his plans publicly on May 1.

Other justices -- including Sandra Day O’Connor in 2005, Thurgood Marshall in 1991 and Powell in 1987 -- waited until the court had issued its final opinions in late June.

<snip>
More at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/polit...-talk-heats-up

Old 05-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Senate Judiciary Committee's Republican chairman said on Thursday any Supreme Court justice considering retirement from the lifetime job should announce immediately so a successor can be confirmed before the November U.S. midterm election.

Chuck Grassley, whose panel would oversee a confirmation process that at times in the past has been long and contentious, said he hoped any announcement would be "now or within two or three weeks because we've got to get this done before the election." The court's current nine-month term runs through the end of June.

The most likely justice to retire would be Anthony Kennedy, who turns 82 in July and has served since 1988. One of the nine-member court's five conservatives, Kennedy sometimes sides with the four liberal justices on major issues like gay rights and abortion. He has said nothing about retirement plans.

<snip>

Grassley said an announcement is necessary now to allow time for a confirmation hearing and the required debate on the Senate floor before a final vote.

"So my message to any one of the nine Supreme Court justices, if you're thinking about quitting this year, do it yesterday," Grassley told conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt.
More at:
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1IB298

Old 05-19-2018, 5:33 PM

CNN is doing its darnest in a charm and flattery campaign to keep Kennedy from resigning...
Old 05-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

If Kennedy doesn't retire this term (i.e., by July 01), I sure hope Thomas will (while the GOP can still seat his replacement w/o any Dem support). If Thomas "has to" leave the Court after Nov elections and the GOP looses the Senate, we're ....

Old 05-27-2018, 1:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There is too much anti-Trump hysteria right now. PC thinking plus social media has put a clamp on any SCOTUS justice even thinking about retiring until the next Presidente is selected.
Old 05-27-2018, 4:04 PM

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/05/em...nt-plan-blues/

Interesting article on possible retirements this year, specifically Kennedy. He would most likely let people know right now.

I would suspect he's not going any place this year.
Old 05-27-2018, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Interesting article on possible retirements this year, specifically Kennedy. He would most likely let people know right now.

Interesting except their political analysis is incorrect. Trump's approval rating is not 39% and is closer to 42%-45%
Old 05-27-2018, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

My personal wish, based upon NOTHING, is that Kennedy announces this coming Friday.

It will be on a Friday, so the news will slowly disseminate through the public over the weekend rather than being the top news story on a weekday.

I won't be in May, so it won't look like he's buckled to the political pressure Grassley put in urging him to announce "yesterday."

It will be the 1st of June, so the Senate will have adequate time to shepherd his replacement through the process.

But, like I said, I base that upon NOTHING. JM2C YMMV

Old 05-27-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Interesting except their political analysis is incorrect. Trump's approval rating is not 39% and is closer to 42%-45%
It's an average over his whole term, they mentioned it in there someplace.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:54 PM

From this article,

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...e?userid=57999

It says ,

Quote:
Justice Sandra Day O’Connor also sent a letter to the White House on July 1, 2005, three days after the term ended, notifying the president of her plans to retire upon the confirmation of her replacement, according to a Washington Post report. The Reagan appointee was 75.
Souter, and Steven's both notified the White House in April. So it's possible to retire after April, but seems less likely. This is the time when this stuff happens tho.
Old 05-28-2018, 1:16 AM

Every time I see this thread updated, my heart soars with the hope RBG finally left us to restore the constitution. Sadly, it's not meant to be. Who wants to chip in to send her a jack-in-the-box?
*BOOO!!!!*
Just kidding
BOOO!!!
Old 05-28-2018, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenemae View Post
Every time I see this thread updated, my heart soars with the hope RBG finally left us to restore the constitution. Sadly, it's not meant to be. Who wants to chip in to send her a jack-in-the-box?
*BOOO!!!!*
Just kidding
BOOO!!!
You're not alone. The last few times I've seen this thread surface it's been more of a meh moment though, as I'm slowly learning we are not so lucky to have actual news as opposed to speculation.