Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-14-2018, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

So, a bit of an update. The Rush 24 is a fantastic backpack and has a ton of room. Unfortunately, I put too much stuff and it weighed a ton (for my old back) and I still had a lot of room left over. I filled all of the zippered pouches etc, but had most of the main compartment still empty. But, I was overall very happy with it. Only downside was that my back began to complain with all of that weight on it.

Today, my wife and I found ourselves in Fresno to visit family (not the most favoritest thing to do), so we went to the 5.11 Tactical store on N Gates Ave with the intent to buy something for the wife (Range bag, pants or jacket). We also got to looking at other backpacks. One thing led to another and I found myself at the checkout for a Rush 12 in black along with a med-pouch with molle attachment. The med-pouch will just organize all of my first-aid type stuff into one pouch inside the backpack. It also gives me the versatility to hang it on the outside of the backpack if I need more room inside.

This seems to fit me better too as well as being lighter weight.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-24-2018, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Just another chinese pack...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Exactly. I spend my money here, made in USA and guaranteed for life. If you wait for a sale it's the same price as the import crap.
Have either of you every owned a 5.11 Rush backpack? I've yet to meet one person who owns one and think's they're crap and I've also yet to meet one person who uses a backpack as much as I do on a daily basis for work and personal use. While it's true that most Chinese and similarly made products aren't as durable as the ones made stateside, it isn't an absolute. I've torn U.S. made TAD and Jansports (as well as others that I can't recall the name any more). My Rush-12 and a couple messenger backs have yet to rip and are far better than knock off Chinese brands you see a lot of kids wearing these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
So, a bit of an update. The Rush 24 is a fantastic backpack and has a ton of room. Unfortunately, I put too much stuff and it weighed a ton (for my old back) and I still had a lot of room left over. I filled all of the zippered pouches etc, but had most of the main compartment still empty. But, I was overall very happy with it. Only downside was that my back began to complain with all of that weight on it.

Today, my wife and I found ourselves in Fresno to visit family (not the most favoritest thing to do), so we went to the 5.11 Tactical store on N Gates Ave with the intent to buy something for the wife (Range bag, pants or jacket). We also got to looking at other backpacks. One thing led to another and I found myself at the checkout for a Rush 12 in black along with a med-pouch with molle attachment. The med-pouch will just organize all of my first-aid type stuff into one pouch inside the backpack. It also gives me the versatility to hang it on the outside of the backpack if I need more room inside.

This seems to fit me better too as well as being lighter weight.
Glad to hear you found something that works well for you and your wife. I stayed with a 12 for the same reasons you listed. If you come across something you think is better (and cheaper) let me know! Take care.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktank View Post
Have either of you every owned a 5.11 Rush backpack? I've yet to meet one person who owns one and think's they're crap and I've also yet to meet one person who uses a backpack as much as I do on a daily basis for work and personal use. While it's true that most Chinese and similarly made products aren't as durable as the ones made stateside, it isn't an absolute. I've torn U.S. made TAD and Jansports (as well as others that I can't recall the name any more). My Rush-12 and a couple messenger backs have yet to rip and are far better than knock off Chinese brands you see a lot of kids wearing these days.

Glad to hear you found something that works well for you and your wife. I stayed with a 12 for the same reasons you listed. If you come across something you think is better (and cheaper) let me know! Take care.

Thanks! So far, it’s held up well! Doesn’t seem to have any real shortcomings.

Regardless of where something is made, it will be built per company’s specs.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-02-2018, 2:03 PM

Great backpack.
I bought my high school son one 4 years ago and it’s still looking good.
He even said that once his lunch, chicken soup, container broke open in one of the front compartments and didn’t leak or even sweat into the other compartments.
High school tested. Works for me
Old 06-20-2018, 6:24 PM

I have this for my get home bag. I use a Swiss Army laptop backpack for everyday. It has lasted me years (10ish), 5+ laptops and many, many miles in the air and on the ground.
Old 06-20-2018, 7:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I have this for my get home bag. I use a Swiss Army laptop backpack for everyday. It has lasted me years (10ish), 5+ laptops and many, many miles in the air and on the ground.
10 years? Wow, yours must be a different (better) line of Swiss Army. I've only had mine for about 4 or 5 years and is used for carrying my laptop back and forth between my home and office. So, it sees my kitchen table, the trunk of my car and the office desk drawer. And, I'm gentle with my stuff.
Handles have already shown a lot of wear and cracking. Strappy thingy doesn't look like it will stay very strappy for another 5 years.

So far, my Rush 12 (changed my mind a while back) has been very good. Very rugged. I've packed it pretty heavy (for my old back) and it's great. A lot of compartments. The straps are REALLY heavy duty. They sit on my shoulders differently and I'm sure I still need to get more used to them. Only real complaint is that the zippers have a tendency to get caught up on the molle webbing that is along the edge of the backpack. Otherwise, the zipper action is smooth and high quality.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-21-2018, 7:18 AM

I see they no longer sell the bag I have. It is reinforced in several areas and it is heavy on its own. The interior pockets are frayed but the exterior is still intact. The same for the zippers. The interior small pocket zipper broke years ago but all the external ones are still good to go. The exterior bottom is reinforced with rubber. I purchased it in-store at Swiss Army.
Old 06-21-2018, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I thought I commented on this months ago, but I guess not. I have a Rush 72 bag that I used for five years in Iraq and Afghanistan. I regularly carried about 45 pounds of gear in it, but have carried upwards of 80-90 pounds a number of times...almost fell backwards while loading into a C-130 up the rear ramp.

That bag is great, I don't care where it was made. I broke a buckle on one of the side straps that I normally don't adjust anyway...happened to find a massive zip-tie in the dirt in Baghdad right after it happened and it's been on there ever since.

Recently, I bought a couple of Atlas bags from L.A. Police Gear, a 24 and a 72, that I swear are outright copies of the 5.11 Rush bags, except for the covert "laser-cut" Molle they put on them. They were about 1/3 the price of the 5.11s and they seem to be every bit as well made. I haven't put them through 5 years of real world use like I have the 5.11, but I would have no problem trusting them to hold up. i have several other LAPG house brand products and have been happy with all of them.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

5.11 RUSH backpacks are good. i have a 12, 24, and 2 72. i normally carry the 24. Only issue i have is with the 24, some stitching came loose. All bags get abused and they're holding up.

I kinda wish they put some padding at the bottom. i usually just line it with an old t-shirt
Old 06-22-2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all torque View Post
I have the Covert 18, it's a little smaller but they have different color schemes to blend in for those that are concerned. Downside, it has no molle but that is part of the Covert idea. Upside is that they are made by 5.11 so you get the durability and pockets for organization.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9i3qk81ims_e
The molle is on the inside front panel, my friend.
Old 06-23-2018, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRH View Post
5.11 RUSH backpacks are good. i have a 12, 24, and 2 72. i normally carry the 24. Only issue i have is with the 24, some stitching came loose. All bags get abused and they're holding up.

I kinda wish they put some padding at the bottom. i usually just line it with an old t-shirt
I cut a piece of that really firm black sponge from a Pelican case to fit the bottom of my Rush 72. I was usually carrying around a big laptop and other electronic gear that didn’t like the thud when I would set the pack on the ground overseas. That foam was perfect.

Old 06-24-2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
The molle is on the inside front panel, my friend.
Yes, I'm aware. I meant no molle on the outside.

On another note, I just recently bought the 12 and so far I'm really happy with it. It has plenty of room and compartments to store and organize all the things that I carry on a daily basis and yet small enough to fit in a saddle bag on my bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 PM

Got the 24 and 72. Like them both.