Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-24-2018, 8:18 AM

Default Slide not locking back on .22. Problem?

I have a Browning Buckmark which sometimes does not lock back on the last round. I know the cause, it's my big meaty hand touching the slide lock.

My question is, on that last round where the slide has not locked back, I pull the trigger and hear the click. On my centerfire pistols like my Sigs, I don't give it a second thought.

Oh my .22 though, it gives me pause. Am I essentially dry firing the pistol that last time I pull that trigger? Dry firing is a problem with Buckmarks, the firing pin hits the breech face.

I'm not quite sure exactly what the mechanics of the firing pin are when the slide has not locked back. Is it a problem here? Thanks, feel like I should know this by now but have never been quite clear exactly what happens when the slide does not lock back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

It depends on the firearm. Some .22s can damage the firing pin. Not sure about that model. You could load a snapcap so that it isn't a problem.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-24-2018, 9:36 AM

Yes. You would essentially be dry firing your Buckmark. As indicated,doing so repeatedly can cause damage to the firing pin and breach face.
Old 06-24-2018, 9:37 AM

Happens all the time on my Buckmark. Mine is close to 30 years old and has many, many 1000s of rounds fired and I haven’t seen any problems.
Old 06-24-2018, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Gun tip #359562....

Although this doesn't exactly solve your particular issue it's good to know that if you don't have access to .22 caliber snap caps (which some guns stores don't carry but are probably easily found online) you can use the correct size plastic wall anchor in a pinch.

(You know those little plastic cone-shaped things that you put into the drywall before you screw in the screw so that they open up and expand and hold solid in the drywall.)

They are usually colored blue, red, or yellow. The yellow size Used to be the correct diameter for 22 caliber. And it gave a nice thick rim of plastic for the firing pin to fall on.

It may not be the perfect store bought solution it's better than damaging a firearm that is not designed to be dry fired.

Last edited by sealocan; 06-24-2018 at 9:53 AM..
Old 06-24-2018, 10:04 AM

Are you guys suggesting that the OP uses a snap cap as his 10th round in the magazine? Unless I’m reading the OP wrong I’m not seeing how it would help in this situation.
Old 06-24-2018, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@515 View Post
Are you guys suggesting that the OP uses a snap cap as his 10th round in the magazine? Unless Iím reading the OP wrong Iím not seeing how it would help in this situation.
It would load the snapcap as the last round, so no dry firing, which means no possible damage.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-24-2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
It would load the snapcap as the last round, so no dry firing, which means no possible damage.
Well that would work. I try to make it a habit of counting my shots instead. Anyway a few dry fires really wonít hurt the gun.
Old 06-24-2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Well that would work. I try to make it a habit of counting my shots instead. Anyway a few dry fires really wonít hurt the gun.

I'm going to try this, putting in a snap cap in, thanks.

Old 06-24-2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
I'm going to try this, putting in a snap cap in, thanks.

Itís your gun. Personally I would rather work on my technique and counting shots. I donít like the idea of having to unload the snapcap after every magazine dump. I go through this between my Sig where the slide lock is where my right thumb wants to be vs some of my other handguns where I ride the safeties that are in the same place.
Old 06-25-2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Yes. You would essentially be dry firing your Buckmark. As indicated,doing so repeatedly can cause damage to the firing pin and breach face.
Depends on how the pistol is designed.

Most modern .22's have a travel-limited firing pin. These can be dry-fired as much as desired, until the limit stop wears (which will likely be much longer than anyone's willing to dry-fire a pistol.) Pretty simple to tell: break the pistol down to where you can manually actuate the firing pin, and see how far it protrudes from the breech face at full extension. If there is a hood cut into the breech, you have a reference point: the pin should not extend beyond the hood. If the breech is flat, the pin should not extend beyond .040" to avoid hitting the chamber mouth (SAAMI minimum spec is .043" for .22 rim thickness.)
Old 06-25-2018, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

The simplest solution is counting the rounds when your shooting. Or is that something no one does anymore?
Old 06-25-2018, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Depends on how the pistol is designed.

Most modern .22's have a travel-limited firing pin. These can be dry-fired as much as desired, until the limit stop wears (which will likely be much longer than anyone's willing to dry-fire a pistol.) Pretty simple to tell: break the pistol down to where you can manually actuate the firing pin, and see how far it protrudes from the breech face at full extension. If there is a hood cut into the breech, you have a reference point: the pin should not extend beyond the hood. If the breech is flat, the pin should not extend beyond .040" to avoid hitting the chamber mouth (SAAMI minimum spec is .043" for .22 rim thickness.)
While true, the Buckmark isnít one of them. The manuals warn repeatedly against dry firing. Like I mentioned earlier. A few dry fires are not going to hurt it. Repeatedly dry firing all night long for trigger practice probably will.
Old 06-25-2018, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
While true, the Buckmark isnít one of them. The manuals warn repeatedly against dry firing. Like I mentioned earlier. A few dry fires are not going to hurt it. Repeatedly dry firing all night long for trigger practice probably will.
Nothing like consulting the manual for the info....
Old 06-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Assuming the problem is really being caused by your hand touching the slide lock, I would file down the lock so your hand no longer touches it. It’s a $6 part, so i would buy a new slide lock, modify that one and then use cold blue to refinish it. keep the original slide lock so you can bring it back to the stock configuration if you do choose.
Old 06-25-2018, 3:50 PM

Okay I had to pull my Buckmark out of the safe. You must have some big hands to somehow hold the slide lock down. I can ride the safety like normal but cannot reach the slide lock.
Old 06-25-2018, 4:22 PM

Although Browning recommends against dry-firing your Buckmark, some have a well-tuned enough firing pin where it's okay. Unload your gun, take a piece of paper, put it against the chamber with the firing pin back and slide forward, and dry fire. If it doesn't leave a mark, you're probably not going to damage the gun dry-firing a few times. I wouldn't go around dry-fire practicing with it without a snap cap though. If it does leave a mark, I'd just consistently keep a snap cap as the 10th round in the magazine.

Remember that even though repeated dry-firing is bad, it's bound to happen sometimes. I've never had a 22 that didn't fail to pick up a round from time to time. Usually it's the ammo's fault.

Last edited by Mystery_Milk; 06-25-2018 at 4:25 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Okay I had to pull my Buckmark out of the safe. You must have some big hands to somehow hold the slide lock down. I can ride the safety like normal but cannot reach the slide lock.

It's the Contour 5.5 model so not sure the slide lock is the same on all Buckmarks but....I tend to use a a very high, thumb forwards grip and my support hand section of my palm (area below my thumb) tends to just butt up against the bottom of the slide lock. Think I am just consciously going to grip the gun lower on the frame with my support hand and it will take care of the problem.